Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mario game for kids...

• 31-12-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

What would you recommend? Santa brought Mario kart and just dance with the switch but I want to get a platform game. They're 8 and 6 and it's their first console
    Tx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

barneyrub wrote: »
    What would you recommend? Santa brought Mario kart and just dance with the switch but I want to get a platform game. They're 8 and 6 and it's their first console
    Tx

3d - Super Mario Odyssey
    Beautiful, fantastic, super playable masterpiece.

2d - Super Mario Maker 2
    100 wonderful levels from Nintendo + create your own levels. Online can be added later to give you infinite downloadable levels. Plus the original Mario games on NES and SNES.
    Really doesn't get much better than this.

Plus for some reason these 2 games sell cheaper than other first party Nintendo switch games .... Eg 50 quid in Smyths.

Really, I'd get both. No regrets. Keep 'em busy for a year at least!

There is also Super Mario Brothers U deluxe ... Which is overpriced and limited compared to MM2. But worth a go if you see it on a good sale.

If you want a really great non Mario platform game , then Rayman legends is a steal at 10 quid in the eshop at the moment. Can't recommend enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Mario maker 2

Odyssey isn't a platformer-but is easy enough for kids (there's an assist mode.. Extra health and arrows everywhere)

If you don't have nintendo switch online, you should get a 12month subscription which can be purchased with mario maker 2 in a special pack that works out cheaper than buying them separate... It's good for Mario maker and you'll get good nes and snes games including the Mario bros series and super mario world (for 12 months anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd say Super Mario Maker 2, because you can make your own levels with the kids, make them as simple as you like, gradually increasing difficulty, plus they'll learn the ropes, items and mechanics, etc. Plus there's online interactivity (you'll have to buy a subscription). It's a great introduction to Mario games.

Whereas 3D Mario games are more complex, even the 2D levels start out easy enough but they may eventually hit a brick wall(not a pun, well maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd say Super Mario Maker 2, because you can make your own levels with the kids, make them as simple as you like, gradually increasing difficulty, plus they'll learn the ropes, items and mechanics, etc. Plus there's online interactivity (you'll have to buy a subscription). It's a great introduction to Mario games.

Whereas 3D Mario games are more complex, even the 2D levels start out easy enough but they may eventually hit a brick wall(not a pun, well maybe).

For odyssey there is always another moon ... that will open another path. I think it's kid friendly enough to progress quite far ... And if an older sibling is there to show the way .. then it's just one continuous toy box after the next. Hmmm ... Hey Nintendo ... New 3d Mario in 2020 please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Thanks all. We've started free trial of the online sub so they're trying some old school Mario!

• Advertisement
Advertisement