Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

Hardly speaks to the entire market and a bit alarmist tbf ...are houses in the 250-350k ie: first time buyers market dropping by 30-40%?....nope.

There's a very simple example in Naas. One higher end, one lower end, both significant drops. Just an example. Not saying it's the entire market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ciaranmul wrote: »
    One in Sandycove there that dropped from €2.75m to €2m... 37.5% or thereabouts? There was another one down the country that had a 41% drop. Can't remember where though, someone sent it to me last week.

More like 27%?

Picking expensive, luxury houses to try to prove that house prices are dropping by alarming amounts its pointless and misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did I say the entire market dropped 40%? If you look hard enough you'll find some prices have even gone up. But majority are price drops.

So what *are* you saying?

"Breaking News: House Prices Fluctuate!"?

GreeBo wrote: »
    More like 27%?

Picking expensive, luxury houses to try to prove that house prices are dropping by alarming amounts its pointless and misleading.

Apologies, 27%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

stayback wrote: »
    I’ve been watching this thread for a while now. I want to give you my view.

I don’t want to be negative but an AIP isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. If you read the t&c’s attached to it, there are so many loopholes for the banks not to honour it.

If banks get a sniff of an issue with income valuation etc they will pull the mortgage approval regardless of whatever stage you are at.

Banks will protect their money at all costs. Especially now when they are forced to offer another 3 months moratorium.

A bit of perspective I was an underwriter for 15 years for one of the big banks not anymore thank god. Not in financial services anymore .
    https://youtu.be/BmK953BaEO0

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    So what *are* you saying?

"Breaking News: House Prices Fluctuate!"?

I am saying that, on average, they are dropping everywhere from what I've seen. Another few examples here:

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODU0NDMyODM0OTc4MzI5?igshid=1uk3q8ib58qk3

Hardly speaks to the entire market and a bit alarmist tbf ...are houses in the 250-350k ie: first time buyers market dropping by 30-40%?....nope.

Some simple examples in the lower price brackets:
    James' Walk Rialto: 245k down to 200k (18%)
    Maudlins, Naas: 245k down to 199k (18%)
    Saul rd, Crumlin: 330k down to 300k (9%)
    Ebeneezer tce, D8: 439k down to 399k (9%)
    Castlewood tce, Rathmines: 395k down to 350k (11%)
    Joseph's Place, Phibsboro: 350k down to 305k (13%)

While this may be "alarming" to some, it' also great news to others. All down to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭PommieBast

One in Sandycove there that dropped from €2.75m to €2m... 37.5% or thereabouts? There was another one down the country that had a 41% drop. Can't remember where though, someone sent it to me last week.
    I would like to see examples of such drops in houses that are the other side of €500k. A €2-3m house is irrelevant to 99% of the people here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I am saying that, on average, they are dropping everywhere from what I've seen. Another few examples here:

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODU0NDMyODM0OTc4MzI5?igshid=1uk3q8ib58qk3

Someone actually goes to the trouble of doing this? You’d want to have a lot of time on your hands! Interesting reading all the same but it looks like a number of drops happened before this all happened?

PommieBast wrote: »
    I would like to see examples of such drops in houses that are the other side of €500k. A €2-3m house is irrelevant to 99% of the people here..

Just gave 6 others above :confused:

• Advertisement

Hubertj wrote: »
    Someone actually goes to the trouble of doing this? You’d want to have a lot of time on your hands! Interesting reading all the same but it looks like a number of drops happened before this all happened?

Most are from end of March/April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Ciaranmul,

Thanks for the examples and info.

You clearly stated in your original post that you seen a couple of large drops, mostly 7-8% drops (I think) and even some increases.

Then you had some reply’s to say you are misleading people, it doesn’t represent the whole market, and ‘what are you trying to say’

My guess is you were trying to say you have seen some price drops and here are the examples..

In this thread people will jump all over you for mentioning price decreases, it’s actually quite funny. Anyway thanks for the examples, much appreciated.

Rock77 wrote: »
    Ciaranmul,

Thanks for the examples and info.

You clearly stated in your original post that you seen a couple of large drops, mostly 7-8% drops (I think) and even some increases.

Then you had some reply’s to say you are misleading people, it doesn’t represent the whole market, and ‘what are you trying to say’

My guess is you were trying to say you have seen some price drops and here are the examples..

In this thread people will jump all over you for mentioning price decreases, it’s actually quite funny. Anyway thanks for the examples, much appreciated.

Pretty much! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Imagine that. People going to the trouble of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Just gave 6 others above :confused:
    That's me forgetting to reload page.. :o

Those reductions are in line with what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

I see Ryanair are letting 3000 people go. With the best part of a million people now finding themselves without work, it will make the crash of 2008 look like a picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

PommieBast wrote: »
    That's me forgetting to reload page.. :o

Those reductions are in line with what I was expecting.

We are 6 weeks into what is likely a multi-year recession.

People are jumping the gun if they're expecting prices to drop immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    We are 6 weeks into what is likely a multi-year recession.

People are jumping the gun if they're expecting prices to drop immediately.

In 2008 they fell by 20%. It all depends how bad this one is.

Interesting reading all the same but it looks like a number of drops happened before this all happened?

The market started slowing down last year. I have seen numerous properties stay in the market for 6 months + in the area I'm looking in.
    A lot taken off too, or going sale agreed & coming back on.
    And that all before any kind of recession comes about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

bubblypop wrote: »
    The market started slowing down last year. I have seen numerous properties stay in the market for 6 months + in the area I'm looking in.

This is a salient point. World manufacturing was already in recession in 2019 and the international credit markets started to collapse back in September. Covid 19 has merely brought this economic boom to a much quicker conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

bubblypop wrote: »

Agree the market peaked around August 19 , I sold a property then and dragged it over the line just before Christmas with a further negotiation , a neighbouring house went on the market shortly afterwards and is still on with no offers . The market had softened a lot before Covid 19 kicked in and the recession which had started has been exaggerated , it will be interesting to see how govts deal with it and how effective QE is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

lomb wrote: »

Probably sums it up. “A bank will give you an umbrella when it’s dry and take it off you when it raining”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

There's definitely going to be a good drop in prices. I can't see it being very rapid. There's not going to be many houses finished over the next 18 months.

I bought last year. I almost certainly spent more for it than it'd go for in the next few years. I'm fortunate enough in that my job is rock solid and it is a great area where houses don't come up for sale often. I think going back I'd probably buy it again but it'd be nice to have 50k less on the mortgage.

There are quite a few people I work with getting things in order to buy next year. They wouldn't have been financially affected by Covid-19 and if anything are taking home more money. The major thing for them seems to be the area to buy in and in a lot of the nicer areas in Dublin there don't tend to be houses sold all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Ciaranmul,

The issue that quite often here people are manipulating the data, which doesn't really present the actual Property Market, but rather what they want to see.
    For example If some report says, if "event A" would happen, "event B" may happen, and someone comes here and tells that “event B” will happen, as forecasted "Fact", this is purely data manipulation for its own interest. Many populists use this tactics to get people support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭fliball123

schmittel wrote: »
    I was replying to a post arguing that supply was down because there were 400 less properties on myhome since last Friday.

I presume you did not start the purchasing process since last Friday, and clearly neither did your sister.

Yet your argument is void of fact I have told you were to look at the supply of houses dropping, just to add another decrease in properties available in myhome today from yesterday. I also said that there were over 200 homes sold in the last 10 days yesterday . So just to give you a figure of people actually currently buying. Sold property is showing 284 properties sold in the last 2 weeks.

I dont mind you arguing a point but it would be nice if there was a bit of substance behind your argument

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

There is no doubt there are going to be price decreases. Market confidence will dip as we enter a great unknown and uncertainty regarding the economy.

Strongly suspect anyone on here stating otherwise is a developer or estate agent with a vested interest. Don't forget, this is coming after a period of minor stagnation in the market, this last year to 18 months or so.

The only question further is how far the drop. Too soon to tell as well. As a guess, if I fast forwarded to Christmas, 15/20% wouldn't be too much of a surprise. That's just a guess though.

Marius34 wrote: »
    The issue that quite often here people are manipulating the data, which doesn't really present the actual Property Market, but rather what they want to see.
    For example If some report says, if "event A" would happen, "event B" may happen, and someone comes here and tells that “event B” will happen, as forecasted "Fact", this is purely data manipulation for its own interest. Many populists use this tactics to get people support.

The data is also very much being manipulated by estate agents, like DNG a few weeks ago, who deleted hundreds of ads and put them back up again, a lot of them with lower prices. So this doesn't show up in the area price decreases data. Also, every single ad was listed as "detached" for some strange reason. These ads and price decreases would only have been picked up on if you had your eye on the properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Marius34 wrote: »

I would not disagree with you and I have read a lot of posts like that however the poster in question did not do that and was immediately jumped on.

He then gave examples and was told ‘that doesn’t represent the whole market’ (his original post clearly stated he wasn’t talking about the whole market)

Then it was ‘so what are you saying’ when it was clear he was keeping an eye on some prices and posting about their % decreases while also stating he has seen a couple of increases.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭hometruths

fliball123 wrote: »
    Yet your argument is void of fact I have told you were to look at the supply of houses dropping, just to add another decrease in properties available in myhome today from yesterday. I also said that there were over 200 homes sold in the last 10 days yesterday . So just to give you a figure of people actually currently buying. Sold property is showing 284 properties sold in the last 2 weeks.

I dont mind you arguing a point but it would be nice if there was a bit of substance behind your argument

Believe me I know just how nonsensical my counterargument was, which was exactly the point that I think you may have missed.

But I am curious about the 284 house sold in the last 2 weeks - where are you getting that figure from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I would not disagree with you and I have read a lot of posts like that however the poster in question did not do that and was immediately jumped on.

He then gave examples and was told ‘that doesn’t represent the whole market’ (his original post clearly stated he wasn’t talking about the whole market)

Then it was ‘so what are you saying’ when it was clear he was keeping an eye on some prices and posting about their % decreases while also stating he has seen a couple of increases.

I didn't comment to ciaranmul. Although it would be interested to see if this data is something new, or it used to be similar cases in the past couple of years.

My comment was specifically on your statement about this group: "In this thread people will jump all over you for mentioning price decreases "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement