Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

My guess would be a rental tax credit combined with rent freeze, brought in as an emergency measure with any breaches strongly enforced. Don't think many would complain as it ensures security for both landlords and tenants.

What is the point of a rent freeze? Rents will be falling very shortly if they haven't already. If tenants lose their jobs the tax credit is damn all use to them. What would be needed is the reintroduction of Rent Allowance to tide them over, not simply expect landlords to sit at home with no rent coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Cairn homes share price down 25% and still falling.

Glenveagh down 18% and falling.

Anybody who thinks prices aren't falling is in the aniexty/denial phase.

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/cyclewhere.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If people aren't working, rents will fall

There could be a lot of service employees heading home. I'll be shocked if there it's a glut of new apts to rent.

Cairn homes share price down 25% and still falling.

Glenveagh down 18% and falling.

Anybody who thinks prices aren't falling is in the aniexty/denial phase.

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/cyclewhere.gif

That wacky UK billionaire will be delighted with his huge CAIRN short position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A couple of 1 bed apts for sale in Smithfield under the 200K mark came up in the last few days, maybe it's just coincidents
    Normally they sell for over 200K

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    You're assuming all sellers are desperate to sell. If I were selling, I'd take my property off the market and relist it in the autumn.

That's fine if you can sit on your asset, many can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

This is the correction we needed in the stock markets. All Major indices are down 20%. This correction will eventually affect property markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ebayissues wrote: »
    This is the correction we needed in the stock markets. All Major indices are down 20%. This correction will eventually affect property markets.
    Beyond correction. S&P is now at 2017 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

We probably haven't even seen the bottom yet! Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Delighted I didn't buy.time to go shopping now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

smurgen wrote: »
    Delighted I didn't buy.time to go shopping now.

House prices won't turn red over night...it'll take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yea, if house prices go back to 2017 levels, you'll save.... 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

Taylor365 wrote: »
    More like 1997 prices

we have all the time in the world
    nobody is going anywhere for a while ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Taylor365 wrote: »

I don't know. The number of new cases and deaths in China, S Korea and Japan have really slowed over the past week.

We could be out the other side in two or three weeks, with a clearer picture of what the future holds. Makes more sense to frustrate or delay your sale or purchase for the time being, rather than cancel it completely.

People have been predicting a correction for years with Brexit, recession, migrant crisis etc. Don't make any rash moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the U.S will enter a recession soon if its not already in one , our economy wont stay out of one if they are going backwards

the S+P is the best gauge of the health of the irish economy and we all know where thats going at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    A couple of 1 bed apts for sale in Smithfield under the 200K mark came up in the last few days, maybe it's just coincidents
    Normally they sell for over 200K

That's pretty normal for a one bedroom apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

OttoPilot wrote:
    Mark my words, if there is a slowdown, the rules will be relaxed to encourage demand.

Central Bank is is influenced by the Ecb. Rules will not be changing

OttoPilot wrote:
    Yes, thank god we have fine gael to prevent profiteering off misery.
    😄😄😄

Mic 1972 wrote:
    LOL nice try it's very definitely not a good time to invest money in anything right now, at least wait until prices come down

I'm drawing up a list of shares to buy. Time to buy is very close. Irish property not on that list this time round
    It would be unconstitutional to force landlords to subsidise tenants to that extent. The government can't do anything about that. The banks aren't guaranteed but they are secured.
    Rents can be brought down by increasing supply
    Taxing land hoarding, empty units
    Build on state land to rent at affordable yet profitable rents
    Rezoning land thereby increasing supply and forcing land hoarders to act
    J_1980 wrote:
    Maybe Dermot and MaryLou should go to Germany and teach Irish house building lessons??? How to make it cheaper. You guys are total jokers. At least the virus will end all this nonsense.

Biggest cost in housing is land and tax. State has sufficient land to solve supply demand imbalance. Given current rents and long term interest rates the state could make a significant profitable revenue stream from delivering affordable accommodation in large employment areas

Everyone is a winner. Not rocket science,

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

Villa05 wrote: »
    Central Bank is is influenced by the Ecb. Rules will not be changing

😄😄😄

I'm drawing up a list of shares to buy. Time to buy is very close. Irish property not on that list this time round

Rents can be brought down by increasing supply
    Taxing land hoarding, empty units
    Build on state land to rent at affordable yet profitable rents
    Rezoning land thereby increasing supply and forcing land hoarders to act

Biggest cost in housing is land and tax. State has sufficient land to solve supply demand imbalance. Given current rents and long term interest rates the state could make a significant profitable revenue stream from delivering affordable accommodation in large employment areas

Everyone is a winner. Not rocket science,
    The only winners will be undertakers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/obraonain/status/1238402783889498113

People won't be able to pay high rents.

• Advertisement

Landlords will serve notice of rent arrears and proceed to notice of termination if not paid on time. There's nothing obliging a landlord to simply not attempt to recover the rent. Landlords are well aware that they are always at the mercy of economic conditions, however that doesn't mean that they have no protection.

https://mobile.twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1238458554874380288

I can see the government banning evictions.

Too risky to have an increase in homless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

https://mobile.twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1238458554874380288

Too risky to have an increase in homless people.

Sorry but landlords are not going to let people rent for free, crisis or no crisis. Its not up to private landlords to sort out the homeless problem

Then rents will decrease, and investors will buy stocks and shares instead of property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Wouldn't surprise me. Downside is that it will instantly make landlords an endangered species within Ireland.

PommieBast wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me. Downside is that it will instantly make landlords an endangered species within Ireland.

Thus, evictions won't be banned

2 more 1beds up for sale in Smithfield, that's 4 new ads going up in a few days for 1beds.
    LLs trying to capitalize before it's too late?

2 more 1beds up for sale in Smithfield, that's 4 new ads going up in a few days for 1beds.

The wise seller will try to find the last few "greater fools".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It could be former air B&Bs coming on the market due to pressure from the City Council and cancellations of future bookings due to the virus.

It could be former air B&Bs coming on the market due to pressure from the City Council and cancellations of future bookings due to the virus.

One is livable but would be low standard for B&B

The other 3 are in shambles, probably not used in ages
    Possibly left vacant waiting for the right time to flip them

• Advertisement

The wise seller will try to find the last few "greater fools".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

The thing is, only cash buyers can play the property market when banks stop lending

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement