Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Honestly, people have a right to do AirBnBs with their own houses if they want, any other country in Europe allows that no probs
    Why should the gvmt stop that?

People have a right to follow the law, and they clearly aren't. Zero sympathy. Hope they get caught massively out of pocket.

Should I be allowed to open a chip shop from my kitchen window? or maybe I'll open a BBQ restaruant in my bank garden.

Planning regulations exits for a reason. A private dwelling should remain that. If you want to setup a holiday rental business then setup a business and get the correct planning.

Honestly, people have a right to do AirBnBs with their own houses if they want, any other country in Europe allows that no probs

This post is also completely incorrect. Restrictions exist in Barcelona, Paris, London, Berlin....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OwlsZat wrote: »
    People have a right to follow the law, and they clearly aren't. Zero sympathy. Hope they get caught massively out of pocket.

Should I be allowed to open a chip shop from my kitchen window? or maybe I'll open a BBQ restaruant in my bank garden.

Planning regulations exits for a reason. A private dwelling should remain that. If you want to setup a holiday rental business then setup a business and get the correct planning.

planning laws exist for a reason? yeah its planning laws have created this crisis or opportunity...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    planning laws exist for a reason? yeah its planning laws have created this crisis or opportunity...

Good man Pat, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Why restrict? Why is Uber banned here?

Because people would be out of jobs. That's why.

Race to the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

If i want to rent my apartment through airBnB i shouldn't have to ask for permission because it's my property, that's my point
    LLs should not be forced to resolve the housing issue

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Why restrict? Why is Uber banned here?

Because people would be out of jobs. That's why.

Race to the bottom.

If uber were allowed here, would solve a lot of the rural isolation issues you hear about!

If i want to rent my apartment through airBnB i shouldn't have to ask for permission because it's my property, that's my point
    LLs should not be forced to resolve the housing issue

yeah! you see I think its madness in a capital city, including the docklands to massively restrict supply , bloody 4-5 floors buildings going up even now and then tell landlords "dont do this with your property" when they are creating the situation that is limiting supply. Because a few nimbies should stop thousands of people living in an area...

This post is also completely incorrect. Restrictions exist in Barcelona, Paris, London, Berlin....

Do they restrict how many days per year? I'm only aware of Paris which allows 4 months per year. But you can set up airBnB in Italy all year round

If uber were allowed here, would solve a lot of the rural isolation issues you hear about!

For every problem solved there's another created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,607 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

agreed. The government chose this route, i.e the crisis and rip off prices. I dont see why the rights of property owners should be impinged... within reason. Maybe have temporary price freezes or airbnb ban, for a period to address a situation. But doing it long term, because they actually support rip off prices, is impinging too much IMO...

Would you both be equally as happy if large investment funds were allowed to come in and buy up swathes of residential property in an area and be allowed to let it only on short term airbnb type agreements?

Property rights are property rights. You can't have rules for one type of commercial owner and one for another type of commercial owner. One fund buying up a block of 80 apartments in the centre of Dublin and putting them all up on airbnb is no less legitimate than 80 private investors buying second apartments in the same building and putting them up individually. Personally, I think that both should be properly controlled.

If you had to choose from an economic perspective, it would be more efficient to allow the large funds to do it rather than individual part-timers.

Don't forget tax, service charges/fees, maintenance
    out of 24K gross income you might pocket half if you are lucky

Of course. Why wouldn't you pay tax on it.

You don't pay tax on the cost of the property when you release it.

If you didn't pay tax on the income, it would be a massive loophole for avoiding tax.

There is valid argument for rural uber and rural airbnb. There's no argument for airbnb in cities which we've a housing crisis or uber in cities where we've already a glut of taxis. It's the Governments job to legislate so we get the benefits without the downside. We didn't achieve this.

There is valid argument for rural uber and rural airbnb. There's no argument for airbnb in cities which we've a housing crisis or uber in cities where we've already a glut of taxis. It's the Governments job to legislate so we get the benefits without the downside. We didn't achieve this.

OwlsZat, there is a bit of an issue with the government long term telling you what to do with your property, when they are the ones creating the supply problem...

OwlsZat, there is a bit of an issue with the government long term telling you what to do with your property, when they are the ones creating the supply problem...

There's no problem, there is irony. Same way it's ironic AirBnB launched under the proviso of supplying lower cost holiday rentals, which in turn made housing rentals for Irish people more expensive.

So would you be happy with an investment fund buying a block of residential apartments in the city centre, in an area where they would not get planning permission for a hotel, and being allowed to rent them out on a short term (even nightly) basis?

There's no problem, there is irony. Same way it's ironic AirBnB launched under the proviso of supplying lower cost holiday rentals, which in turn made housing rentals for Irish people more expensive.

AirBnB didn't make housing for Irish people more expensive. People willing to pay high rents for nice central locations or for 4bed houses where 3 or 2 bed would suffice made housing expensive. Demands makes the prices go up

yeah, but it also provided more tourists and jobs in hospitaltity etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

TBH I'd hate if the apartment next door would be airbnb and every day have different people wandering around. I'd be a nightmare.

AirBnB didn't make housing for Irish people more expensive. People willing to pay high rents for nice central locations or for 4bed houses where 3 or 2 bed would suffice made housing expensive. Demands makes the prices go up

Strange then that over the past week there appears to have been a noticeable increase of properties available at lower rents.....and a lot of them appear to have been, up until recently, let out on a short term basis.... (furnished and bills included etc)

Mad that.

• Advertisement

yeah, but it also provided more tourists and jobs in hospitaltity etc...

Any other unrealated information?

When someones booking accomodation. They don't go ah there's no AirBnBs I'm not going to go, the book a hotel or hostel.

voluntary wrote: »
    TBH I'd hate if the apartment next door would be airbnb and every day have different people wandering around. I'd be a nightmare.

That's why the other fella with his "property rights" is ignoring my question.

He wouldn't be long being up in arms in an investment fund came in and bought half the properties on his street and turned them into short-term rentals. I'd say he'd be on to the council about planning fairly lively once the value of his own house starts to take a hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Any other unrealated information?

When someones booking accomodation. They don't go ah there's no AirBnBs I'm not going to go, the book a hotel or hostel.

If a hotel room costs as much as an apartment, they often decide not to go. If they can get self catering accommodation for a few people with little or no eating out and a lower price than several hotel rooms they might decide to go. Someone might not come to Dublin if it was €1500 but might come if it was €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I was talking to a recruitment agent yesterday about potential opportunities for me, he reckons that 90% of current open vacancies are on hold. I work in IT, data analysis and project management. The issue seems to affect most industries

I accepted a job offer before the sh1t hit the fan and I'm meant to start in 2 weeks. In a very similar line of work to you actually. Have no idea what's going to happen. Been told everything is proceeding but sort of braced for the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

Very suspicious of the posters denying that there won't be a property crash and nonchalant responses to the market situation, i suspect they have vested interests.

Even if this virus gets sorted out within 2-3 months the lagging economic damage will last quite some time. World governments stimulus packages will fail as people will a) either not spend the money, b) spend the money on essentials which they would've purchased anyway, c) only purchase items from big players such as Amazon, this will result in SMEs being crushed. Anyone who thinks business can just shutter for months and bounce back immediately like nothing happened is away with the fairies.

Word of advice to those who absolutely NEED to sell their property, sell now and stomach a minor loss, in the long term it won't make too much of a difference compared to loses you would experience if you take the property off the market and put it back on within a couple of months/later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

If a hotel room costs as much as an apartment, they often decide not to go. If they can get self catering accommodation for a few people with little or no eating out and a lower price than several hotel rooms they might decide to go. Someone might not come to Dublin if it was €1500 but might come if it was €600.

Do we really need these type of tourists. Eating in mcDs, staying in AirBnb, spending feck all in the economy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very suspicious of the posters denying that there won't be a property crash and nonchalant responses to the market situation, i suspect they have vested interests.

Even if this virus gets sorted out within 2-3 months the lagging economic damage will last quite some time. World governments stimulus packages will fail as people will a) either not spend the money, b) spend the money on essentials which they would've purchased anyway, c) only purchase items from big players such as Amazon, this will result in SMEs being crushed. Anyone who thinks business can just shutter for months and bounce back immediately like nothing happened is away with the fairies.

Word of advice to those who absolutely NEED to sell their property, sell now and stomach a minor loss, in the long term it won't make too much of a difference compared to loses you would experience if you take the property off the market and put it back on within a couple of months/later in the year.

You are someone who thinks you're going to be able to sweep in and pick up the pieces if the arse falls out of things. In fact, you've rather smugly been posting about how you're going to profit off the misfortune of others in the case of a collapse.

For this to happen, you need panic sales, and you need buying to stop, two things you encourage endlessly on here, calling anyone doing anything else crazy / brave / whatever else.

Are you trying to suggest you don't have vested interests and that people should trust you as some sort of impartial actor in all this?

Everyone who has a notion of buying a house in the near future has a vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

This guy telling people to sell their property now, and also for people not to buy property now. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would hope to be selling my property in the near future. I don't 'need' to sell it and would sooner rent it out and wait till the market comes to it's senses, rather than sell at a loss or poor price. Anyone who panics with an asset as valuable as property is very foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

awec wrote: »
    You are someone who thinks you're going to be able to sweep in and pick up the pieces if the arse falls out of things. In fact, you've rather smugly been posting about how you're going to profit off the misfortune of others in the case of a collapse.

For this to happen, you need panic sales, and you need buying to stop, two things you encourage endlessly on here, calling anyone doing anything else crazy / brave / whatever else.

Are you trying to suggest you don't have vested interests and that people should trust you as some sort of impartial actor in all this?

Everyone who has a notion of buying a house in the near future has a vested interest.

Where in this thread did i mention i will be buying property ? Knit picking from yourself as usual and like day follows night you are again incorrect with all things related to property and this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement