Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

SozBbz wrote: »
    It is indeed a boomtime for Doom&Gloom merchants. You're all secretly jizzing yourselves with glee at the prospect the demise of the world economy.

I'll take what I know to be true from years of study of Economics and Behavioural Science and sit tight, thanks.

Facts don't have feelings. Nor do markets or economies.

Most people always act too late. How many people decided not to get out of the stock market when this crash started?

Dow Jones down over 30% now. Anybody getting out in the first few days lost a lot less.

Problem with property is it not liquid. Very hard to get out once the crash happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In 3-4 weeks time everybody will see how bad things are.

Anybody thinking we aren't facing a huge downturn is in for a shock.

I don't think anyone thinks there won't be a huge downturn. Thats just hyperbole.

But I think what economic downturn gives with one hand it will take away with another. Because thats what happened every other time, something vaguely similar has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Most people always act too late. How many people decided not to get out of the stock market when this crash started?

Dow Jones down over 30% now. Anybody getting out in the first few days lost a lot less.

Problem with property is it not liquid. Very hard to get out once the crash happens.

This is not the mindset people buying a place to live in should have.

Do you think I should have sold my house a month ago? I probably should have sold the few shares I own but I can't live in stocks.

I expect anyone who's going to make money on this crisis is already sitting on huge case reserves, ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yeah well, since we're talking nonsense - facts don't buy houses, nor do markets or economies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

beauf wrote: »
    I expect anyone who's going to make money on this crisis is already sitting on huge case reserves, ready to go.

And I don't think they're posting on this thread, dithering about buying a roof over their heads.

I don't think anyone thinks there won't be a huge downturn. Thats just hyperbole.

But I think what economic downturn gives with one hand it will take away with another. Because thats what happened every other time, something vaguely similar has happened.

Correct. Very few people will be buying houses.

But next time we might have a government that doesn't sell half the country to vulture funds.

Correct. Very few people will be buying houses.

But next time we might have a government that doesn't sell half the country to vulture funds.

Maybe someone will buy it back cheap. Maybe Apple. or Russia I heard they were looking the place over.

Property is a bad investment.(Not talking about a place to live)

If you have enough cash to buy a property you should look elsewhere IMO.

Disadvantages:

Liquidity. Properties are not as liquid as stocks or other investments where you can pull out your money anytime you want. ...
    High cost.
    Maintenance. ...
    Possible liability. ...
    Interest rates. ...
    Problematic tenants.

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Do you think I should have sold my house a month ago? I probably should have sold the few shares I own but I can't live in stocks.

Not everybody bought a house to live in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Likewise a lot of LL don't have mortgages, so they can't all be bankrupted, by missing a month or threes rent.
    Sure you'd have to expect that normally when a tenant over-holds. You'd have to have a float to cover such things.
    Likewise a boiler could go or a leak or simply refurbishment could cost a few thousand when tenancy changes.

A LL with no mortgage has nothing to lose, selling now would be smarter than selling in 6 months when the economy is paralyzed. or they can keep renting, sure they won't go bankrupt
    A LL who is renting a property and has a mortgage is taking a huge risk and making little to no profit until the mortgage is paid off. These LLs can't sell now, they have to keep renting to pay the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

awec wrote: »
    If they are on the property ladder.

Let's be absolutely clear here, because it seems to be getting lost, if some people get bargains it's because many more people have been taken out of the market.

That is to say, this notion of "everyone wait, everyone get a bargain" is just not how it works. It's nonsense.

The choice for many people is not overpriced house now or cheap house later. It's overpriced house now vs no house later.

God the property bulls are really doing somersaults in here today. No house later how do you figure that? Supply is going to pour onto the market over the next few years. Be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Hardly anything going up on daft at the moment.

We are thinking of taking ours off the market for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Hardly anything going up on daft at the moment.

We are thinking of taking ours off the market for the time being.

Look at the rental availability. Supply is exploding. This will bring down property prices in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

I love it when these unrealistically priced houses fall in price. Still way too expensive though!

Down €100k earlier this month.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-whitebeam-avenue-clonskeagh-dublin-14-d14a3t7/4406210

No.

I'm talking about landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Greedy bastard landlords getting a snack of reality. One good thing to come from Coronavirus at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Property is a bad investment.(Not talking about a place to live)

If you have enough cash to buy a property you should look elsewhere IMO.

Disadvantages:

Liquidity. Properties are not as liquid as stocks or other investments where you can pull out your money anytime you want. ...
    High cost.
    Maintenance. ...
    Possible liability. ...
    Interest rates. ...
    Problematic tenants.

Etc

I tend to agree with you. Owning property in this particular country, doubly so. I am seriously considering just investing my capital and renting, once we are the other side of this mess and I have sold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ireland is not the USA. There are alot of houses falling into the ground around the countryside, where the owner could get 50-100k for them. Why don't they sell? All that will be left in a few years is a site.
    Alot of houses for sale aswell where owners can sit on their hands for years. An estate near me, be it in the countryside, but still where a new 4bed would fetch 200k ATM, was nearly finished in 2008, and then left on sale but for more than anyone would pay. Tis only now dawning on them now to sell below what they thought they'd get. Basically they have sat on it for 12 years.
    Only a small % need to sell asap for whatever reason. That's what I find.
    But yeah I think there will be a slight downward movement in asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Greedy bastard landlords getting a snack of reality. One good thing to come from Coronavirus at least..

You got that from the linked ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They are mixing Eileen Grey and Le Corbusier furniture in close proximity which is disrespectful of Miss Grey. Congrats to the kid who made the Lego Tower of Bridge.

I find it funny when they raise the price by a small amount to get activity on the webpage, yet it's still for sale 3 months later.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/70-fairways-rathfarnham-dublin-14/4274303

I saw another house a while ago go up 20k and then down 20k a few weeks later to generate a price drop to get people interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Are you going up post hundreds of these?

that's the plan., one for every house on myhome.ie

Pity no one has though of it before ( estate agents dotn liek it) but it would be great if people could leave commetns on the myhome.ie

Staying at home all day gets boring!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads Merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Wouldn’t like to have bought an investment property in recent times . The government are going to have to get money from somewhere and raise taxes once all this passes over .
    Anyone that can afford to own two three or more houses will be easier tax than those returning to their job or not returning to their job at all with a larger welfare bill for the state also to be paid for from somewhere .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Anyone that can afford to own two three or more houses will be easier tax than those returning to their job

Taxes tend to be on income (PAYE) or spending (VAT / Stamp Duty) rather than asset value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Graham wrote: »
    Taxes tend to be on income (PAYE) or spending (VAT / Stamp Duty) rather than asset value.

yes in this banana republic, but its an idiotic taxation system here...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

awec wrote: »
    If they are on the property ladder.

Let's be absolutely clear here, because it seems to be getting lost, if some people get bargains it's because many more people have been taken out of the market.

That is to say, this notion of "everyone wait, everyone get a bargain" is just not how it works. It's nonsense.

The choice for many people is not overpriced house now or cheap house later. It's overpriced house now vs no house later.

your last line, is true, some people wont be able to buy later, other will. A lot of it is down to chance. Some people will be able to just take advantage of falling prices and buy. But like you say, its not a black and white situation..

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »

But we need landlords.

Not everyone wants to be a homeowner. Eg people in their 20s may be happy to rent. People coming to Ireland for contract work etc.

Better regulations are what's needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement