Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting a date.

Options
  • 31-12-2019 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I've decided that I'm really going to focus on bettering myself in 2020 and one area ive struggled in, is dating. I'm 27 and never had a gf but I'm not desperate for one. I'm happy single, however, whenever I meet a woman I'd love to get to know, I never seem to be able to get anywhere romantically.

Im a massive messer but I wudnt be the strongest at flirting. I've regularly been referred to as the 'nice guy' which I know isn't a bad thing but when it's used as a reason to not date me then there must be another reason cos a woman doesn't turn a fella down for being nice. Im not hear saying that 'oh women never pick the nice guy'. I own my sh*t and women don't owe me anything.
    I think the underlying reason is that I don't excite them for whatever reason. Therefore, that's the area I feel I need to work on.
    Looks wise, I'd consider myself average but I'm working on myself in the gym and mentally.
    I don't drink but I'm a massive messer and love joking so I wouldn't call myself boring. I could be reading far too much into this but when I've literally never got anywhere with a woman I've liked, not even a date, it feels like I'm doing something wrong.
    I know confidence is massive and I would consider myself a confident guy but it may not show.
    One of my best friends girlfriend says I come across as very wholesome which is not what a lot of women in their 20's are after.
    Any tips? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I know the feeling as I was like that too once where I ended up being the nice friend all the time.It comes down to early on when you meet a woman you like.

Messing around is great as you want to be seen to be having a laugh but too much and you end up being viewed as "the Clown" I mean a guy who is a great laugh but women can never have a serious conversation with and then they never know where they stand with you. This leads them to look elsewhere.

So its a tricky thing of reeling yourself in a bit after you get to know them. After you get into a dating thing or boyfriend/girlfriend thing then you can have a laugh again because she will know that's just you being yourself. When they don't know you that well it can make them think you take nothing seriously.

The other big thing is to try to let them know that you are romantically interested early on. Even holding a hand or say you arranged this date just for her. Otherwise it seems like you are a messer and mess around with everyone.

The "wholesome" thing I actually got too so I know what you mean. It means you need to show that you want romance and not just a friend to have a laugh with. Obviously don't come on too strong early but if you like her and you think she likes you then give her a small kiss. Don't wait all night as thats too "wholesome" I used to do this. I would be getting on great and have a great time but didn't even put my arm around her or try to give her a kiss. Then you become too wholesome and you end up in the friend bracket or he just wants to have a laugh. I heard later that they assumed I didn't like them romantically as I didn't show it. So try to show it if you like them so then they know you would like more. But I add again, don't go overboard either as coming on too strong too quickly will ruin things too.

Its great joking around on a date but don't joke at everything. Try to have a few serious bits as you want to get to know the real other person not just the joker side. Remember just relax and if you like her try to show it a little.Really this is going to be at the end of the date or near it. If you had a great time then say it to her. If she responds that it was great too then try to give her a kiss. Even a kiss on the cheek. It shows that you aren't too wholesome!

Confidence is key. If she moves away and doesn't want a kiss then just thank her for the date. At least she knows you like her. She might want to wait a while for kissing or she may not like you that way. This way she knows you like her and you can see what happens.

Another thing is to compliment her to show you like her. I got caught up in my own head I would forget to do this. If you are trying to constantly joke then how will she know you like her? Basically what would a wholesome guy do? He will have a laugh and just head home. You need to have a laugh but show you are interested in her and not just a laugh. A wholesome guy won't try to hold a hand or kiss a cheek or flirt a little. Again though too much flirting and you end up not taken seriously as she might think you say it to every girl.

Its a tricky tightrope but just try to show you are interested in a relationship and not just a friend. Hope this helps!

Just another thing as you said you are trying to get to the actual date rather than on the date. Its the same thing as I was saying only you just need to ask her out if you like her. Don't wait for the "right" moment as it will never be fully right.

if you are nervous then just go for it. You have nothing to lose. This is where confidence comes in. Suggest something like a dinner, movie or whatever. Never say "do you want to do something?". Then she will say what? Then you say whatever you want. Then you get stuck!! Pick something to do. If she really doesn't like it she will suggest something else.

So if you know someone you like but are now just friends, then ask her out. Say it will be just you two. Then you are on a date and then see my previous post!

If you barely know them or not at all then ask them out too! Never wait. Just go for it. If they turn you down then that's ok too. You wont get anywhere wishing it, you have to make the date happen. Some will turn you down but others won't. Then you have your elusive date!

I used to always say to myself "He who hesitates, m****rbates"!! before I went over to a lady! This way I wouldn't delay it all night!! It made me laugh too so I was in good form on first approach :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Some great advice above. The only thing I'll add is to suggest going to a meetup if you are in Dublin or join macra if you're outside Dublin and don't mind the idea.

You sound sociable so time to get meeting people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Thanks folks for the advice.
    I would be confident in myself if I was to get a date cos it wud show that the woman has some interest in me such would of course help ease any nerves. I wud be able to read social cues etc quite well so I'd back myself.
    I actually find meeting women I fancy easily enough as I'm big into the health and wellness area and it has a lot of like minded people. However, getting to know them better can be difficult if I don't work with them or see them regularly in social circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

S.G.M. wrote: »
    I've decided that I'm really going to focus on bettering myself in 2020 and one area ive struggled in, is dating. I'm 27 and never had a gf but I'm not desperate for one. I'm happy single, however, whenever I meet a woman I'd love to get to know, I never seem to be able to get anywhere romantically.

Im a massive messer but I wudnt be the strongest at flirting. I've regularly been referred to as the 'nice guy' which I know isn't a bad thing but when it's used as a reason to not date me then there must be another reason cos a woman doesn't turn a fella down for being nice. Im not hear saying that 'oh women never pick the nice guy'. I own my sh*t and women don't owe me anything.

I mean this with the purest intent. So don't take it up wrong. BE LESS WHOLESOME. Its obviously not coming off the right way.

I am going to level with you. Women never say that and MEAN it...MEN say that so its men telling you that you are a nice guy.

Women are simply telling that they can't make a connection with you and they are not attracted to you and are not their type.

I never had a bf who I didn't consider a nice guy when i met him

You have to just be yourself.

Lots of girls can't connect with jokers or outgoing guys. I have to say i find outgoing guys harder to chat to. Thats not THEM that's ME. I'm quiet.

Just because you are attracted to a woman doesn't mean there is a connection there.

Men know women by the chemistry they feel for them. Find a mutual connection too.

If you are not getting somewhere with girls you like ....then there is some weird disconnect between the type of person you are and the type of person / girls you like.
    I know confidence is massive and I would consider myself a confident guy but it may not show.

I would say it doesn't show. You don't seem at all confident or positive in your post. You seem really low on yourself and negative. I will be honest its not energy I would want to be around. Not sure if you give off different vibes in life.

Maybe you should stop paying attention to what other people say you are and start focusing on who you know you are. :) Bring that out into the world with confidence.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Honeydew3456

Im a massive messer but I wudnt be the strongest at flirting. I've regularly been referred to as the 'nice guy' which I know isn't a bad thing but when it's used as a reason to not date me then there must be another reason cos a woman doesn't turn a fella down for being nice.

I adore a nice guy and there are plenty of other women that do too. I reckon you need to up your flirting game is all. Let the girl know you fancy them. It's as simple as strong eye contact, one on one convo and a touch on the knee/arm now and again while chatting.

Also compliments are everything to let a girl know you are interested. If you get one back then she is intetested too.

I think the underlying reason is that I don't excite them for whatever reason. Therefore, that's the area I feel I need to work on.

This part you are overthinking I reckon. I have been with nice guys that wouldn't haven been on my radar initially but once they did the above and let the chemistry flow it ended up being very exciting!

Looks wise, I'd consider myself average but I'm working on myself in the gym and mentally.
    I don't drink but I'm a massive messer and love joking so I wouldn't call myself boring. I could be reading far too much into this but when I've literally never got anywhere with a woman I've liked, not even a date, it feels like I'm doing something wrong.

I think you are just not making them aware you are interested. Follow White Feathers advise that was brilliant!

One of my best friends girlfriend says I come across as very wholesome which is not what a lot of women in their 20's are after.
    Any tips? Thanks

Don't change being wholesome or sweet. It's a rare trait and I would almost bet there are plenty of lovely girls in their 20's that appreciate this too.

I currently have a friend in his 20s that on the outside comes off as wholesome and a nice guy to the rest of the world, to his core he is grnuinely a dote. Behind closed doors he is a beast. It's one million percent awesome :-)

Don't change being wholesome or sweet. It's a rare trait and I would almost bet there are plenty of lovely girls in their 20's that appreciate this too.

I currently have a friend in his 20s that on the outside comes off as wholesome and a nice guy to the rest of the world, to his core he is grnuinely a dote. Behind closed doors he is a beast. It's one million percent awesome :-)

Thank you Honeydew. I don't plan to change that side anyway. I've a lot of female friends and I see how poor they can be treated by fellas and I refuse to add to this problem.

I think the wholesome thing may be a turn off for women if they think of me sexually etc. when in fact, I am an animal when it comes to the bedroom. Not claiming I'm fantastic here lol but I mean that Im really raw and passionate while also being tuned into a womans needs. When I've spoken to female friends about sex for example, they have been shocked that I'm like that.

So I must be giving off an innocent vibe or something like that.
    Like I was chatting a woman online a few months back and she was saying the whole 'you wouldn't be able to handle me' etc but as we got to know each other better and flirted more, she said I was one of the most sex savvy guys she's spoken to which really surprised her. When she showed a pic of me to her friends, they said 'hes cute but you would destroy him' to which she replied, 'his looks are very deceiving'.
    I was glad to get this feedback cos it seems to be how I come across that may be one reason for my struggles.

Good. I am glad to hear that :-)

OMG well all I can say is the girl that does get to date you will be very lucky indeed!

White Feathers advise is outstanding and I kinda added some inside your original post when I quoted it but think I did it wrong!!

I really think you need to just up your flirting game and the subtle hints of letting a girl know you are interested while chatting. Seems to me you have everything else nailed.

Online is tough but I am glad you got that positive feedback. 2020 will be your year. Just own it, practice it, never fear rejection and each new victory in moving yourself closer to multiple dates will increase your confidence in the whole dating game massively.

Thank you for your very sweet reply Honeydew.

I do think my flirting is where I need most work. 2020 is gonna be a big year.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As a woman reading through this, the biggest turn-off for me is you being a messer. That is doing you no favours. Women like men with a sense of humour but if they're behaving like immature clowns it's going to ruin everything. Tone down the messing and try behaving like an adult. You might be surprised by the results.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your very sweet reply Honeydew.

I do think my flirting is where I need most work. 2020 is gonna be a big year.

Sounds great! Have fun and enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You've gotten some good advice so far OP. I'd agree with you and argue that your wholesome persona may be a bit off-putting for most women... I'd argue that a little bit of cheek and edge is needed to keep yourself interesting. You'll be viewed as a worthier prospect if you're someone who would inspire competition (which is in line with your animal theory), whereas at the moment you're probably just blandly nice and therefore not worth fighting over or competing for.

Don't be afraid to make a move, and make a strong move at that (it shouldn't need stating, but obviously always with respect). If it doesn't work, that's cool, but at least you played your cards even if you lost a hand.

I hear you when you say you don't want to be part of the group of men who act like Arseholes. That being said, it's not your responsibility to be Captain Nice, so don't curtail yourself in order to show that not all men mistreat women.

Keep up the work on yourself and self improvement, and maybe see if you can integrate the wholesome part with what you call your animal side. The middle ground might be the sweet spot if you can find it.

Best of luck.

So I must be giving off an innocent vibe or something like that.
    Like I was chatting a woman online a few months back and she was saying the whole 'you wouldn't be able to handle me' etc but as we got to know each other better and flirted more, she said I was one of the most sex savvy guys she's spoken to which really surprised her. When she showed a pic of me to her friends, they said 'hes cute but you would destroy him' to which she replied, 'his looks are very deceiving'.
    I was glad to get this feedback cos it seems to be how I come across that may be one reason for my struggles.

Wow, this feels like me writing this years ago. I got all that too!

Keep being yourself but just go for it here and there. If you think the time is right then it is. Don't wait! You don't need to change the way you are as women will appreciate it.

It's better to be underestimated like you were with that woman online rather than being overestimated. Remember that! :)

I think my confidence does need some work too.
    If theres a woman I fancy, I always seem to think I'm punching above my weight. The 'why would she pick me' creeps into my head.

Think of it as why wouldn't she pick you?

I think of it as you are a good guy. You treat women nice. Why shouldn't she like you?

Thats the way I began operating. All negativity gone as soon as I start going up to someone. Doesn't mean you begin to think you are gods gift! It means you know you are a nice guy at heart.

Don't mind this punching above your weight thinking. Thats irrelevant.If you are thinking you are lucky to be talking to her then thats the wrong attitude. Goes back to confidence. If anything you need to act like of all the women around here, I came up to you. You dont say to her "wow im so amazing I came up to you", I just mean have confidence basically. Women always like confident men. Don't go overboard though!

Why shouldn't you be confident? Its great that you said you don't need a girlfriend. That shows you are getting on great on your own. That shows you are confident already you don't realise it.

So just a change of mindset is all that's needed. You have no reason to not be confident!!

Think of it as why wouldn't she pick you?

I think of it as you are a good guy. You treat women nice. Why shouldn't she like you?

Thats the way I began operating. All negativity gone as soon as I start going up to someone. Doesn't mean you begin to think you are gods gift! It means you know you are a nice guy at heart.

Don't mind this punching above your weight thinking. Thats irrelevant.If you are thinking you are lucky to be talking to her then thats the wrong attitude. Goes back to confidence. If anything you need to act like of all the women around here, I came up to you. You dont say to her "wow im so amazing I came up to you", I just mean have confidence basically. Women always like confident men. Don't go overboard though!

Why shouldn't you be confident? Its great that you said you don't need a girlfriend. That shows you are getting on great on your own. That shows you are confident already you don't realise it.

So just a change of mindset is all that's needed. You have no reason to not be confident!!

Thanks TWF. Yeah as you said, I've confidence in a lot of certain areas but dating isn't one of them lol
    However, I plan to work on it and push myself more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There’s no actions or tricks you can do to be more successful when it comes to romance. Sure we could tell you some fun things to say on Tinder, interesting topics to bring up on dates or ways to try get the ride on a night out...but the reality is that all comes apart once you’re with someone because they see you for who you are (maybe even clearer than how you see yourself because they see our blind spots too).

When I hear stuff like ‘too nice’, I translate it into ‘people pleaser’. As you say yourself OP, women don’t turn down dating someone because they’re a decent person. The way I’ve observed it when someone I know got hit with the ‘too nice’ label is a lad who agrees with what people say, does/says things to be liked, basically doesn’t know or isn’t comfortable with who they really are so they build their entire personality around being who they think people want them to be. That’s untrustworthy and unattractive: nobody is perfect and pretending to be just makes people (consciously or not) ask the question “Yeah but who are you REALLY?! Are you a bad drunk? Bad in bed? What’s the most offensive opinion you have??” It’s why people can see someone as physically attractive and like being around them but feel nothing towards them, and also why so-called ‘assholes’ can be attractive because at least they’re in touch and comfortable with who they are.

The truth is anytime I’ve met someone worth meeting who I’ve kept around for beyond a few dates, it’s when I haven’t been looking or trying. When I’m comfortable in my own skin and just taking life as it comes, having fun and being myself. I know ‘be yourself’ can be frustrating advice, but when you really break it down it’s actually solid advice: Who are you? What makes you stand out? Why would you be attractive to others? Why would someone great pick you over countless other people they could get with? When you have a good answer to these questions then just live your life to the fullest with those answers in mind, the rest just falls into place and stuff happens where it didn’t before. So instead of focusing on trying to convince women to like you, take time to like yourself and that’ll radiate to everyone around you. Sounds new age and hippy but it really works.

leggo wrote:
    The truth is anytime I’ve met someone worth meeting who I’ve kept around for beyond a few dates, it’s when I haven’t been looking or trying. When I’m comfortable in my own skin and just taking life as it comes, having fun and being myself. I know ‘be yourself’ can be frustrating advice, but when you really break it down it’s actually solid advice: Who are you? What makes you stand out? Why would you be attractive to others? Why would someone great pick you over countless other people they could get with? When you have a good answer to these questions then just live your life to the fullest with those answers in mind, the rest just falls into place and stuff happens where it didn’t before. So instead of focusing on trying to convince women to like you, take time to like yourself and that’ll radiate to everyone around you. Sounds new age and hippy but it really works.

Thanks Leggo, makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely work on that cos it is probably an area I may have neglected. One question is, do you think it's possible to go out of your way to help people without making it look like you're doing it to make people like you?
    I think in the past I've definitely been a people pleaser and wanted everyone to like me etc but I've definitely worked on this and am better in that regard now. However, I'm a big believer in, 'do unto others, as you would have done unto you'. So I do sometimes go out of my way towards help people but it's not to make them like me.
    Ive done it in the past with women I've fancied and I learned its not the right approach at all. It's better to put yourself first to show you're not a walkover.
    However, if I'm helping people that I'm not aiming to impress but the women I fancy see me do it, will that work against me. Like I don't believe there is enough kindness in the world and I think it's important to be that change you wish to see.
    I don't think I'm explaining this the best tbh lol but I hope ya may get where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

To thine own self be true.
    If you are wholesome then definitely do not change that. Be yourself, if you try and be someone else it just won’t work, you’ll come across as false and insecure.
    It can be a hard thing to find your way with the opposite sex if it doesn’t come very easily at first so be gentle and patient with yourself.
    Best of luck, in my experience people who are prepared to make a conscious effort at this stuff will succeed sooner or later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

As a woman reading through this, the biggest turn-off for me is you being a messer. That is doing you no favours. Women like men with a sense of humour but if they're behaving like immature clowns it's going to ruin everything. Tone down the messing and try behaving like an adult. You might be surprised by the results.

Depends on what is meant by a ‘massive messer’. I don’t know if you’re like this OP, but what springs to mind for me is someone that doesn’t engage in conversations, and is constantly looking to ‘the lads’ to act the clown or pull the p*ss out of someone in the group. I’d find that very off-putting - but I don’t like practical jokes or when a member of a group is very loud and seeking attention. Not saying you are like that - it’s the picture I’m getting from ‘massive messer’ though.

• Advertisement

qwerty13 wrote:
    Depends on what is meant by a ‘massive messer’. I don’t know if you’re like this OP, but what springs to mind for me is someone that doesn’t engage in conversations, and is constantly looking to ‘the lads’ to act the clown or pull the p*ss out of someone in the group. I’d find that very off-putting - but I don’t like practical jokes or when a member of a group is very loud and seeking attention. Not saying you are like that - it’s the picture I’m getting from ‘massive messer’ though.
    Sorry, I've not explained that well. I mean I'm someone that loves a laugh and making light of things to lift peoples spirits.
    I definitely have a serious side. I'm big into heath and wellness as well as psychology and mental health awareness so I can hold a deep meaningful conversation. I didn't mean for 'massive messer' to come across as 'the loud idiot on a night out'. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Sorry, I've not explained that well. I mean I'm someone that loves a laugh and making light of things to lift peoples spirits.
    I definitely have a serious side. I'm big into heath and wellness as well as psychology and mental health awareness so I can hold a deep meaningful conversation. I didn't mean for 'massive messer' to come across as 'the loud idiot on a night out'. My bad.

Na, not your bad - just me relating the phrase massive messer to people I know who’d describe themselves that way. I was wondering if it was tying into the please pleasing slightly insecure stuff. Doesn’t sound like it though.

qwerty13 wrote:
    Na, not your bad - just me relating the phrase massive messer to people I know who’d describe themselves that way. I was wondering if it was tying into the please pleasing slightly insecure stuff. Doesn’t sound like it though.

Ah ok I get ya. Yeah, I don't do it to cover up insecurities. I just like having a laugh. I mentioned it in my OP to show that I'm up for a laugh and that I don't think it's a lack of sense of humour that was hampering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thanks Leggo, makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely work on that cos it is probably an area I may have neglected. One question is, do you think it's possible to go out of your way to help people without making it look like you're doing it to make people like you?
    I think in the past I've definitely been a people pleaser and wanted everyone to like me etc but I've definitely worked on this and am better in that regard now. However, I'm a big believer in, 'do unto others, as you would have done unto you'. So I do sometimes go out of my way towards help people but it's not to make them like me.
    Ive done it in the past with women I've fancied and I learned its not the right approach at all. It's better to put yourself first to show you're not a walkover.
    However, if I'm helping people that I'm not aiming to impress but the women I fancy see me do it, will that work against me. Like I don't believe there is enough kindness in the world and I think it's important to be that change you wish to see.
    I don't think I'm explaining this the best tbh lol but I hope ya may get where I'm coming from.

No I get what you mean. Again, there’s no quick fix or step-by-step guide here, if you start being selfish but don’t put in the work chances are you’ll just come across as an arsehole to people, which probably isn’t what you want and won’t help you. For example, I knew a lad before who’d do anything for anyone, like he wouldn’t let you do anything yourself and would insist, to the point that you’d start almost depending on him because it would become normal. Then he’d kinda ‘get in’ and become your friend and cut you off in favour of doing it for the next person. I saw it repeated time after time like a pattern, people thinking he was the soundest lad ever then thinking he was a dick.

It’s a self-worth issue. With this lad, for example, I’d be willing to say he saw himself as only worthy of people’s time if he almost ‘bought’ it through doing stuff for them. And because that was how he approached it, that was how people reacted to him. Whereas most of the time people are around their friends just because they’re sound people they enjoy spending time with, not because they do favours for them. Of course you can still do nice stuff for your friends, but it shouldn’t be someone’s entire motivation for being around you. So if there are self-worth issues at play and you subconsciously have a low opinion of yourself, you might be over-compensating by kinda buying your way in. The solution is the same as the one I gave you above except in a non-romantic sense: Why would people spend time with me? What do I like about myself? Why am I worth people making an effort to be friends with? Learn to put your own needs first. And that way, you can still be sound too, you don’t have to just become a selfish arsehole. And, again, the rest just falls into place from there. Think about it yourself even: have you ever been sexually attracted to someone because they got you coffees or did nice things for you? No, you’re attracted to someone because they’re attractive, looks and personality-wise. And even if someone was attracted to you because you did stuff and they saw a material gain from it...is that the kind of person you want to invest time into?

Thanks Leggo. Plenty of food for thought.

Just a bit of an example here. Got chatting a woman through instagram. I'm quite good at breaking the ice through DM's but I'm still unsure of how to move from chatting to flirting. I feel so stupid and I'm sure she's got so many fellas trying it on with her in her DM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭new32234

I've decided that I'm really going to focus on bettering myself in 2020 and one area ive struggled in, is dating. I'm 27 and never had a gf

We must be long lost brothers or something, I'm going through the same thing

I see no light at the end of my tunnel though

I have hope for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

Hi S.G.M.

A quick response here to say that there are definitely different "types" (if you'll excuse the generalisation!!) of guys and girls, and it may be that the "type" of girl you're attracted to is not attracted to your "type" if you get me?
    I have never been attracted to the nice guy, the wholesome guy that you're identifying with. I love them as friends, but not sexually. And I'm not going to the other extreme by saying "oh I like bad boys", but for me, a man definitely has to have a bit of an edge, and my personal taste is for a very stereotypical masculine man's man (I'm aware of how cringe that sounds but I can't find any better wording!!!); for example, someone who spends most of their time with other men, with a physical job like a builder rather than an office job, who is easy-going and basically the polar opposite of myself.
    Now, that's just me giving you an example of what I prefer when it comes to a partner, and I'm only doing that to try and give you a bit of insight and as I said at the start, to maybe remind you that everyone has preferences about what kind of person they like, so maybe you've just been barking up wrong trees if it so happens that the girls you've fancied haven't fancied you back.

I do think that I speak for most women though when I say that if we like a guy, we do like them to be fairly assertive and confident. I understand that this boils down to you being very sure that you've read a girl's signals correctly, as of course the last thing you'd want to do is move in for a kiss if she has no interest, but when you say that you're into psychology etc, I'm assuming you're pretty tuned into other people's vibes etc, so if you think she's in any way keen, don't sit back too much - you'd be surprised at how girls can go from being only half interested to being fully interested once you've boosted her confidence by making her feel desirable!

I don't have any advice for you, but some of the male posters here have been great to identify with you and give you some feedback, so hopefully you'll find yourself a great girlfriend!
    (Actually, I do have a bit of mad advice.. would you consider watching Love Island to "scientifically analyise" (LOL!!) the dynamics of it all - it's fascinating to me, a fellow psychology enthusiast, to watch the changing emotions!)

ChrissieH wrote:
    A quick response here to say that there are definitely different "types" (if you'll excuse the generalisation!!) of guys and girls, and it may be that the "type" of girl you're attracted to is not attracted to your "type" if you get me? I have never been attracted to the nice guy, the wholesome guy that you're identifying with. I love them as friends, but not sexually. And I'm not going to the other extreme by saying "oh I like bad boys", but for me, a man definitely has to have a bit of an edge, and my personal taste is for a very stereotypical masculine man's man (I'm aware of how cringe that sounds but I can't find any better wording!!!); for example, someone who spends most of their time with other men, with a physical job like a builder rather than an office job, who is easy-going and basically the polar opposite of myself. Now, that's just me giving you an example of what I prefer when it comes to a partner, and I'm only doing that to try and give you a bit of insight and as I said at the start, to maybe remind you that everyone has preferences about what kind of person they like, so maybe you've just been barking up wrong trees if it so happens that the girls you've fancied haven't fancied you back.
    I do think that I speak for most women though when I say that if we like a guy, we do like them to be fairly assertive and confident. I understand that this boils down to you being very sure that you've read a girl's signals correctly, as of course the last thing you'd want to do is move in for a kiss if she has no interest, but when you say that you're into psychology etc, I'm assuming you're pretty tuned into other people's vibes etc, so if you think she's in any way keen, don't sit back too much - you'd be surprised at how girls can go from being only half interested to being fully interested once you've boosted her confidence by making her feel desirable!

I don't have any advice for you, but some of the male posters here have been great to identify with you and give you some feedback, so hopefully you'll find yourself a great girlfriend! (Actually, I do have a bit of mad advice.. would you consider watching Love Island to "scientifically analyise" (LOL!!) the dynamics of it all - it's fascinating to me, a fellow psychology enthusiast, to watch the changing emotions!)

Thanks for the input Chrissie. I agree that being assertive etc seems to be a big attraction for women and I would be assertive and for example no woman would be telling me what to do lol but again I may not come across like that.

See I have a lot of female friends as well as guy friends. I was really shy in secondary school and basically didn't have one female friend until I was about 20. So now it's nice having a mix. I do most things with my female friends and have more of distance friendship with the lads. Mainly cos women are much better at organising to meet up and the lads are all scattered around the county and have gfs etc
    I have felt that hanging out with women may be hampering me as I probably don't come across as the manliest by doing that. Even though I'd back myself to be manlier than a lot of the guys that have it as a front to cover their insecurities.

I did find love island fascinating at first due to the dynamics but when I realised most is scripted, I lost all interest. They have a winter one now which will be a headwrecker for a few weeks. Famous for being famous (sigh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

Hi S.G.M.

You're coming across as quite confident in yourself as a person, which is fantastic, it's lovely to hear you have such a variety of friends and interests, you're obviously a really well-rounded and popular person, so maybe it's just a case of changing how we look at your situation, i.e.: you're following very defined stages in life - you've spent the last few years developing from your shy teen self into a more assured, confident man, surrounding yourself with lots of different people, and now you're ready to go to the next stage of developing a brilliant romantic relationship with someone. So it couldn't have happened before now because you were focusing on being the best version of you... to me, that sounds like a really brilliant way of doing things in life!

And please don't even think about your manliness levels!! I was just giving you my opinion on what works for me as an example of the range of preferences out there. My friend at work thinks "nerdy guys" (her words, not mine!) are the best thing ever, and my lifelong best friend is married to a man who is really lovely but in MY mind, a bit effeminate and I'd never have thought she'd be with him, but that's because I can only ever see sexual attraction through my own lense - which I presume is the same for everyone, hence the whole mystery of vibes and chemistry etc. - so that's all I was trying to get across when I was giving you MY personal preference.

I'm not madly 'girly' by any stretch of the imagination, I am a real feminist and very capable & independent, but at the same time, I just have a preference for very masculine men. I like the feeling of being completely the woman of the relationship, as in - this sounds terrible!! Eek! - but I like being indulged when I'm in a mood (or at least tolerated when I'm giving out!!) and I like being able to give out to someone who doesn't take it too seriously / who isn't sensitive, I like that he does the things that I hate, like putting petrol in my car for me, I like that he just lets me go off and book all our holidays or meals or whatever and he just goes along with it all and that he makes me feel physically safe no matter where we go... basically I like that my husband is one of these men that lives by the Oscar Wilde quote that women are meant to be loved, not understood!! :-)

I agree with you about Love Island btw, but I still enjoy watching the ups and downs of the everyday stuff that is more off-the-cuff, like when someone gets jealous or is too slow to make a move etc. I think reality TV in general is a great way of getting insights into how people behave!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement