Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do 85% of GPs not provide abortion services? - mod warning in OP (01/01/20)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Drain on our social welfare system? by that logic you should be looking for compulsory sterilisation of any long term social welfare recipient.

It would go a long way to solving anti social issues.

Not necessarily every social welfare recipient. Just the ones with no education, multiple arrests, addictions, no interest in getting a job, unable to hold down a job if they got one. Basically anyone who doesn't contribute to society. They and their gangs of kids are a drain on the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

volchitsa wrote: »
    But your claim was that the reason for the 85% not signing up was that the risk was too high - you've not shown that at all, just reasserted it. That's all.

It’s as reasonable a claim as any other possible explanation. I didn’t claim it for certain because I don’t know each individual GPs mind, the figure of 15% who have signed up, and 85% who haven’t, only gives us an overall observation. It’s just as reasonable to assume that they aren’t that desperate for the €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

khaldrogo wrote: »

Not necessarily every social welfare recipient. Just the ones with no education, multiple arrests, addictions, no interest in getting a job, unable to hold down a job if they got one. Basically anyone who doesn't contribute to society. They and their gangs of kids are a drain on the government.

Would you advocate the same for crooked lawyers and dodgy accountants who are a bigger drain on the government's coffers?

Funny thing is that sterilizing the unemployed is an idea that one of the pro life posters on this site has championed multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

crossman47 wrote: »
    Would you advocate the same for crooked lawyers and dodgy accountants who are a bigger drain on the government's coffers?

No. They should be hung by their balls and shot with balls of their own shìt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

crossman47 wrote: »
    No. They should be hung by their balls and shot with balls of their own shìt

And the other 50%-ish of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's disappointing that so few GPs have stepped up to care for their patients in this respect. I campaigned in favour of a yes vote and believe it should be available to whoever requires it...but if I'm honest, if I was in the position of needing an abortion I would be far more comfortable with it being anonymous and private rather than something that was recorded on my medical records for every small minded health professional to tut over for decades to come.

I imagine that many women are still travelling and ordering pills online for that very reason. Access is a step in the right direction but societal attitudes and stigma are a bigger hurdle to overcome. The fact so few GPs are willing to publicly declare themselves willing to provide this service is an indication that there is still a massive fear of negative judgement.

I don’t think every doctor needs to offer the service or anywhere close. I very much wanted early stage abortion legalised but I never expected every doctor to provide the service.

Say there are 10,000 abortions a year. That’s around 27 a day or 1 per county (distribution would vary of course based on population but so do would the number of doctors who carry out the procedure). I think a handful of doctors per county would be ample to meet the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I don’t think every doctor needs to offer the service or anywhere close. I very much wanted early stage abortion legalised but I never expected every doctor to provide the service.

Say there are 10,000 abortions a year. That’s around 27 a day or 1 per county (distribution would vary of course based on population but so do would the number of doctors who carry out the procedure). I think a handful of doctors per county would be ample to meet the demand.

I agree, as long as there is adequate supply for anyone needing the service. There isn't though, there's still several counties that have no GP signed up AFAIK. There's uneven distribution so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sligo has no doctors at all. And county isn't really a useful measure anyway - it's a big distance from one end of Co Cork or Co Galway to the other, and many journeys are really only practical by private transport.

What's even more worrying is that only 10 of 19 maternity units are set up, and that number hasn't increased in the last year at all. So a woman in a life-threatening situation could have to be transferred from one maternity unit to the other - why? Because of the 'conscience' of some obstetrician? Or some little battle they're fighting with the HSE over resources? Patient interest be damned.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sligo has no doctors at all. And county isn't really a useful measure anyway - it's a big distance from one end of Co Cork or Co Galway to the other, and many journeys are really only practical by private transport.

What's even more worrying is that only 10 of 19 maternity units are set up, and that number hasn't increased in the last year at all. So a woman in a life-threatening situation could have to be transferred from one maternity unit to the other - why? Because of the 'conscience' of some obstetrician? Or some little battle they're fighting with the HSE over resources? Patient interest be damned.

Obstetricians don’t get to have the option of opting out in a Hospital if that Hospital provides the service.

Now is your chance to voice your opinion on lack of beds/services in your local Hospital when the candidates start knocking on your door over the next week. See how you get on with that “little battle”, consultants don’t get to open wards or commence services, administrators/dept of health does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Sligo at least has an IFPA pregnancy counselling service - at worst they could probably do the mandatory counselling /waiting period and then refer Sligo patients to one of their Dublin practices for administration of the medication. Not ideal, at all and involves expense an inconvenience for the woman.

There was a whole argument around people not wanting dedicated abortion clinics "popping up on every high street", but if GPs are not prepared to sign up and provide the service, then other providers who are willing to, should be allowed to open their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

AulWan wrote: »
    There was a whole argument around people not wanting dedicated abortion clinics "popping up on every high street", but if GPs are not prepared to sign up and provide the service, then other providers who are willing to, should be allowed to open their doors.

I agree. There has to be a compromise.
    They are already picketing GP clinics, meaning other GP's will be reluctant to sign up, knowing the hassle & abuse they'll get.
    The limited amount of GP's means that supply isn't meeting demand, and if that means we need private companies to pick up the slack and open specific clinics, so be it.

Advertisement