Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched from 4G to 3G and battery lasts much longer.

Options
  • 31-12-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really keep up with the tech of mobiles. I use them really for calls and texts, with a little bit of whatsapp and surfing the news on the side. Maybe the odd game if I'm bored.

However, I have a Samsung S5 and the problem with it has always been the battery drain even with "Battery Saver" on. It sucks the life out of the battery even when the phone is idle and "doing nothing" - yeh I know the phone is never really doing nothing.

However, I used to have to recharge it every two days and I am a very low frequency user of the phone. A lot of the time, it would be sitting there with ever taking a text or a call.

Anyway, I recently changed its use from LTE/4G/3G (auto connect) to 3G/2G (auto connect) in the settings and the difference it has made to my battery life is immense. My phone lasted on 80% for over 12 hours and only moved to 78% after a ten minute phone call.

So, while I'm happy out, I am wondering why this change has resulted in the phone being so non draining on its battery now. I can't find a definite answer on the web.

Or is my phone just fooling me. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    My best guess would be that the 4G signal in your area is far weaker than the the 3G signal. As such setting the phone to use 3G results in less battery drain as the phone doesn't have to constantly search for and connect to a weaker 4G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hunting for signals kills battery .

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    My best guess would be that the 4G signal in your area is far weaker than the the 3G signal. As such setting the phone to use 3G results in less battery drain as the phone doesn't have to constantly search for and connect to a weaker 4G signal.

Ok. That makes sense I suppose. However, the fast drain happened to the phone no matter where I was though. Even in Germany, France and Croatia this year. Always bugged me.

Anyway, I have yet to see any disadvantages to going back to 3G. Internet is still fast, texts and calls still get through and all the other functions are grand.

The upside is that the battery will last for a week or more.

I was just wondering why this is never offered as an option for the myriad of "My battery is shite" topics we can see littered all over the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You weren't getting full speed 4g here to begin with, I think the s9 was the first to be fully 4g compatible with our networks.

Ah right. The plot thickens so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4G mode is using 4G AND 3G. It has to keep a cell list available as if a call comes in it'll need to quickly drop back to 3G to accept it. 3G mode just uses 3G. Significant saving.

NB: New handsets with VOLTE support on a VOLTE network may not exhibit this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ok. That makes sense I suppose. However, the fast drain happened to the phone no matter where I was though. Even in Germany, France and Croatia this year. Always bugged me.

Anyway, I have yet to see any disadvantages to going back to 3G. Internet is still fast, texts and calls still get through and all the other functions are grand.

The upside is that the battery will last for a week or more.

I was just wondering why this is never offered as an option for the myriad of "My battery is shite" topics we can see littered all over the web.

An S5 lasting a week...

Your not touching it at all are ya ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

listermint wrote: »
    An S5 lasting a week...

Your not touching it at all are ya ..

Mammy said I'd go blind Lister.

kippy wrote: »

I read that before posting. But it didn't really answer my question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement