Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Town Rents in 2020 - Going up, down, or staying the same?

Options
  • 31-12-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, my first post here.

Looking for predictions on the cost of renting accommodation in Sligo Town, going forward into 2020 and beyond. Will they go up, down, or stay the same?

Am asking on behalf of a friend who needs to change accommodation in the next six months, and they are shocked by the recent rise in rents being asked.

Also, was talking to some people from Galway over the Christmas, and they reckoned it could be Airbnb that is to blame. I have looked at the Airbnb website and there does seem to be a lot of places in Sligo Town on offer (zoom in on their map), many more places than what are available on Daft. Any thoughts on that would also be welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

There is no new developments being built in the town so what you see on daft is the sum of what is available. Where there is a shortage, there is unlikely to be a decrease in rental cost. Also, with Strandhill recently being designated a rent pressure zone, Sligo is likely to follow shortly and if the trends in other zones in the country are followed, rents will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CawleyCulkin

sligoblue wrote: »
    ... Strandhill recently being designated a rent pressure zone, Sligo is likely to follow shortly ...

Thanks for your input. I've just googled "strandhill rent pressure zone" and it looks like it's not just Strandhill but the whole Strandhill/Sligo LEA (Local Electoral Area) that is now a rent pressure zone. Is this correct, or is it just Strandhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Also, was talking to some people from Galway over the Christmas, and they reckoned it could be Airbnb that is to blame. I have looked at the Airbnb website and there does seem to be a lot of places in Sligo Town on offer (zoom in on their map), many more places than what are available on Daft. Any thoughts on that would also be welcome.

Thanks.

A friend was looking to buy in Sligo and was close to sealing the deal on a house but was outbid - that house is now up on AirBnB. Based in a residential estate in Sligo.

Not a great situation for locals to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CawleyCulkin

marvin80 wrote: »
    A friend was looking to buy in Sligo and was close to sealing the deal on a house but was outbid - that house is now up on AirBnB. Based in a residential estate in Sligo.

Not a great situation for locals to be in.
    I've been reading-up on Rent Pressure Zones, and now that Sligo Town is one, this effectively makes it illegal to put a property on AirBnB without planning permission. And this applies retrospectively, so any landlord who has been or is currently letting out an entire dwelling in Sligo Town (on AirBnB) , and they don't have planning permission, they are now breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Yes.

But I wonder if anyone is enforcing the law?

So difficult for anyone to get accom9dation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

I've been reading-up on Rent Pressure Zones, and now that Sligo Town is one, this effectively makes it illegal to put a property on AirBnB without planning permission. And this applies retrospectively, so any landlord who has been or is currently letting out an entire dwelling in Sligo Town (on AirBnB) , and they don't have planning permission, they are now breaking the law.

According to recent articles in national papers, it is a law which is being completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Rents have increased by about 50% over the last 5 years and barring a prolonged recession won't be going anywhere South anytime soon. A previous poster has mentioned a couple lack of new developments and there is none in the pipeline never mind being built. Add to that that small time landlords are leaving the market and institutionals are not moving in. That said it is relatively affordable to rent in Sligo compared to most towns.

Advertisement