Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest type of flu??

• 01-01-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

lalababa wrote: »
    A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

Effects of an Irish Christmas......stay off the gargle for a month ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ruben James

You're getting old. Sorry about that. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

You’re right that’s exactly what it is like and it’s spreading like wildfire. Seems to affect older people more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Worst affected people become so weak they can't walk, high temp, zero appetite, banging headache, bed ridden for about five or six days ....
    Awful thing the flu.

I've had the flu once in my life about eighteen years ago, and I've never forgotten it, it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I had it 2 weeks ago. Felt terrible. Very fatigued. No appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Flu is an object of the imagination dreamt up by drugs companies trying to sell vaccines to gullible countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

gifted wrote: »
    Effects of an Irish Christmas......stay off the gargle for a month ....

incorrect. apologies dude, im sure u mean well, but exhibit A actually needs to..

drink more

especially whiskey

lash in few lemons, bit of honey and cloves

boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stage one :
    Stage two:

Described the Wife's Christmas right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Got a dose yesterday morning, thought it was just a cold but then again hadn't been doing much activity at all. Agree with symptoms, Not much phlegm, infrequent cough, aching limbs, weak, cold sweats the odd time. Husband was off work so mostly looked after our toddler while I rested (thank god). Went for a short walk today to get a bit of fresh air and felt like I was going to keel over towards the end.

Spent new year's in bed, just went down to living room to count it down with husband and back to bed. Had the flu jab so thought I was fairly safe.

2020 will be healthier! Strange dose going around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had it 4 weeks ago, it’s a form of swine flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Flu is an object of the imagination dreamt up by drugs companies trying to sell vaccines to gullible countries.

Ha ha, you won't be saying that after you've had it.
    There's some people in hospital with flu, it's that bad.

You'll know all about it, when you're bed ridden for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've never had it, never seen anyone with it ever and been around this earth a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I've never had it, never seen anyone with it ever and been around this earth a long long time.

Exactly, all those people who are in hospital and elsewhere are obviously crisis actors paid by big pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Needs more 'Big Pharma'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Diddums. Youve got a cold. If you had actual flu youd know all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Trolling?
    Moron?
    Who cares. Ignore list either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

Stage one :
    Stage two:

Not a flu. More likely a slight virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

893bet wrote: »

There are loads of different variations and strains of the flu. Each with differing levels of effect. There is no one 'flu'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Atlantic Dawn is just a virus.

lawred2 wrote: »
    There are loads of different variations and strains of the flu. Each with differing levels of effect. There is no one 'flu'

Agree. But a “traditional flu” will have you confined to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are you trolling? inFLUenza virus.

This variant caused me to black out during an evening meal, scaring everyone. Nasty ********

Pretty sure the christmas pudding wasn't 90 proof to cause it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

*Spits phlegm with the consistency of chewing gum at you*

Its horrible, just getting over it myself, couldn't move the first few days, then unbelievable raking cough with phlegm, ribs sore from it that lasted a week, on more antibiotics for chest infection now but its clearing up.

Never again do i want to go through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Awful dose doing the rounds for a month at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I had a sinus infection 2 months ago, but the last week or two I've felt fatigued, feverish and a weak feeling in my legs, not sure if it's still sinus acting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

im not against vaccines but if had weak immune system be really young or old then would opt in issue is thou that theres to many strains out and around nowadays, and everyone has different bodies to, thus where one can recover or work trough mild agressive strain, someone with weaker immune system could be in the sweats and bed ridden for few weeks.

that said if people had decent courtesy something like is done in Japan as almost mandatory in respect to others wearing mask id imagine spread would be less, as now offices factories have hundreds people and doesnt take much to catch it anywhere.

mid September caught flu almost entire family, went on hols and even coming back it was stuck to me for another week or so, 4 weeks total of dripping nose, sneezing, coughing, chills etc.

whats worse i found that when having stronger flu, and you need to travel - it takes massive toll on ear drums, as all the crap liquid trapped in nostrils when plane descend flow to ear drum, nearly had fully punctured drum 10yrs back as decent seemed like getting needle pierced trough ear drum, and sure enough going on hols last year now mid September same, once decent started hearing went with massive pain took few days to recover - amazed its not mentioned more widely in media.

as there's plugs to even out pressure once decent starts to reduce any flow and even out at same rate as decent.

as might not seem common but few who experienced it, its ripping your ear drum which imagine few decades down will have impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

About 50% going into A & E have this ATM. The flu jab missed the strain this year and last year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Stage one :
    Stage two:

Daughter fainted this morning after having a brutal headache last night and consequently brought her to out of hours doc. Actually was our own GP on call. Anyway - he reckons it's this. I was surprised as she's no traditional 'flu' symptoms as I'd have thought of them apart from blowing hot one moment and cold the next. I'd add tenderness to the abdomen to your list though - at least for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Daughter fainted this morning after having a brutal headache last night and consequently brought her to out of hours doc. Actually was our own GP on call. Anyway - he reckons it's this. I was surprised as she's no traditional 'flu' symptoms as I'd have thought of them apart from blowing hot one moment and cold the next. I'd add tenderness to the abdomen to your list though - at least for her.

Our whole family had it including small children . It started with a headache , next day a sore throat . Progressed to sweats , chills , fatigue , no appetite , then a tight chest and hacking cough
    Then the head cold hit and the kids got diarrhoea . I was two full days in bed and could barely move . Its a flu all right

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »

This variant caused me to black out during an evening meal, scaring everyone. Nasty ********

You ok now hun?

What the OP had was not the flu virus. That’s a fact. I called it a “slight virus”. He had a ****ing cold.

And by flu virus, I mean the traditional flu virus, not one that makes you a little tired as per the OP.
    As in the one where you are confined to bed for a week+ and your body is timid for a fair few weeks after.

Had it once.

If you want we can call every virus or cold the flu which is what people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I had the flu 2 years ago, you are correct , you dont forget how bad it is, I thought I had some sort of serious illness at the time . . You dont "get a bit of flu" or have a bout, its crippling for days and its effects can hang around for weeks after. My doctor told me most people dont actually know what the flu is until they get it and many confuse a cold with the flu . .

The flu is absolutely horrible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You ok now hun?

What the OP had was not the flu virus. That’s a fact. I called it a “slight virus”. He had a ****ing cold.

And by flu virus, I mean the traditional flu virus, not one that makes you a little tired as per the OP.
    As in the one where you are confined to bed for a week+ and your body is timid for a fair few weeks after.

Had it once.

If you want we can call every virus or cold the flu which is what people do.

Like you are the expert on how people feel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

From op:yes add tender abdomen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Its horrible, just getting over it myself, couldn't move the first few days, then unbelievable raking cough with phlegm, ribs sore from it that lasted a week, on more antibiotics for chest infection now but its clearing up.

Never again do i want to go through that.

The sore ribs was a strange one that i hadnt noticed with a cold/flu before, i thought i had done damage the previous night drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Drumpot wrote: »
    You dont "get a bit of flu" or have a bout, its crippling for days and its effects can hang around for weeks after. My doctor told me most people dont actually know what the flu is until they get it and many confuse a cold with the flu . .

The flu is absolutely horrible .

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?t=1572558841156&t=1577897533576

This is untrue, and an attitude that is leading to increased spread of flu by people who think they should continue to go about their business because if they're not bedridden then it's not flu. Flu can be mild in some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭thomil

Stage one :
    Stage two:

Add nausea and vomiting ( extremely rare for me) to Stage one, and this just about sums it up for me. Definitely also dealing with a sore ribcage and shoulders for some reason. New year's eve and day were pretty miserable for me.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I only had the flu once. I was in my 20s and it nearly killed me. Awful. Stuck to the bed for days.

The current virus is not nice and is long lasting but it is not the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

thomil wrote: »
    Add nausea and vomiting ( extremely rare for me) to Stage one, and this just about sums it up for me. Definitely also dealing with a sore ribcage and shoulders for some reason. New year's eve and day were pretty miserable for me.
    Had this 2 days before Christmas, spent all day right beside the fire trying to get warm, full sure I was going to be a wreck for Christmas, luckily that part only lasted 24 hours, now hopefully end of stage 2 with lots of phlegm

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭champchamp

Agreed. If you had the flu you wouldn't be posting on boards. I had it once, genuinely didn't care if I lived or died it was so bad.

ressem wrote: »

If you actually had the flu, you wouldn't be able to get to the meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

If you actually had the flu, you wouldn't be able to get to the meal.

Flu usually strikes fast. I was feeling fine one morning sitting down to breakfast. Started feeling queasy during the meal and within half an hour I was so weak I was hardly able to drag myself to bed. It was several days before I was up and longer until back to myself. It is a horrible illness. Thankfully it hasn't struck since - although I always get the vaccine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Pretty sure even if a poster died of this you'd have boardsies on here telling their ghost it wasn't a real flu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had an awful dose start of December, tried to work through it and ended up passing out on the bus. Bed bound for a week, couldnt even look at my laptop or a phone, just lay there drained. Recovered pretty quickly after the week was up. Never got the vaccine due to hypotension on injections but after this winter I'm just going to get it done and endure the immediate consequences instead of dragging myself through a ****ty winter again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This bug COULD be a variant of Influenza, but no one knows yet. Could be a variant of Winter virus too.

Anyway it is very debilitating. Unlike a cold it has flattened many I know over the last two weeks or so.

Sudden onset
    Chills and sweats
    Bad cough
    Sore ribs
    Weakness
    No appetite
    Slow recovery.

Hope you are all ok again.

I am a bit anal and when out and about wear gloves, for buses, pushing the pedestrian light button and so on. Don’t laugh!

I also wash hands the minute I get home and top up with anti bac gel. I don’t care. Every little helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I only had the flu once. I was in my 20s and it nearly killed me. Awful. Stuck to the bed for days.

The current virus is not nice and is long lasting but it is not the flu.

Not what all the swabs in the hospitals are saying. Unsurprisingly to most people, they are saying it's flu, and my local hospital is closed to visitors because of the flu. It's rampant.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine.

Somehow I think a rogue virus slipped through this year. But then again the REAL flu may not be rampant because of the vaccine maybe?

You’d wonder.

Not what all the swabs in the hospitals are saying. Unsurprisingly to most people, they are saying it's flu, and my local hospital is closed to visitors because of the flu. It's rampant.

The HSE were caught telling lies about the levels of flu in the hospitals last week. The doctors rubbished their claims. I cannot post a link but I will later.

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine.

Somehow I think a rogue virus slipped through this year. But then again the REAL flu may not be rampant because of the vaccine maybe?

You’d wonder.

They never known the new strains. The vaccine for this year would only cover strains identified in previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The HSE were caught telling lies about the levels of flu in the hospitals last week. The doctors rubbished their claims. I cannot post a link but I will later.

For what reason would the HSE lie about levels of flu? Where was the link from, I can google the exact article myself.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

For what reason would the HSE lie about levels of flu? Where was the link from, I can google the exact article myself.

To make excuses for their brutal A&E numbers. The HSE hide the truth a lot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement