Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace smoke detector with heat detector

Options
  • 01-01-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

We have a smoke detector in our kitchen that keeps going off when we use the oven. Need to be flash gordon to get stuff out of the oven without setting it off. Can I replace with a heat detector?

House is a new build and has smoke detectors in every room, interlinked.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would if it was my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

How clean is the oven? It shouldn't be smoking.
    Could you move the smoke alarm?
    I wouldn't put in a heat detector, better to detect smoke. By the time you detect heat a fire would be further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

alan4cult wrote: »
    How clean is the oven? It shouldn't be smoking.
    Could you move the smoke alarm?
    I wouldn't put in a heat detector, better to detect smoke. By the time you detect heat a fire would be further on.

It's brand new. Not smoking, literally a waft of steam would set it off.

Just looking here and it's only 1.5m from the oven. I could replace with a heat detector and put a smoke detector on the other side of the room. It's a new build so easy to run a cable through the trusses and link them up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

stiofan85 wrote: »
    We have a smoke detector in our kitchen that keeps going off when we use the oven. Need to be flash gordon to get stuff out of the oven without setting it off. Can I replace with a heat detector?

House is a new build and has smoke detectors in every room, interlinked.

Thanks

Smoke alarms should never be put in kitchens. Heat detectors should be used instead. It's just common sense and the electrician should have known this.

I'm not sure of the regs but do smoke alarms have to go in bedrooms? It makes more sense to put them outside the bedroom as fires are more likely to start outside the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

aido79 wrote: »
    Smoke alarms should never be put in kitchens. Heat detectors should be used instead. It's just common sense and the electrician should have known this.

I'm not sure of the regs but do smoke alarms have to go in bedrooms? It makes more sense to put them outside the bedroom as fires are more likely to start outside the bedroom.

taken from the building regs TGDs

Category LD2: Interconnected self-contained
    mains powered/battery backed Smoke/Heat
    Alarms (as Grade D above) shall be suitably
    located in:
    (1) all circulation areas that form part of
    an escape route within the dwelling,
    and
    (2) all high fire risk areas/rooms e.g.
    kitchen, living rooms, garages, utility
    rooms and
    (3) all bedrooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dathi wrote: »
    taken from the building regs TGDs

Category LD2: Interconnected self-contained
    mains powered/battery backed Smoke/Heat
    Alarms (as Grade D above) shall be suitably
    located in:
    (1) all circulation areas that form part of
    an escape route within the dwelling,
    and
    (2) all high fire risk areas/rooms e.g.
    kitchen, living rooms, garages, utility
    rooms and
    (3) all bedrooms

Thanks. I wasn't disputing it. I just think it makes more sense to put them outside a bedroom door rather than inside the actual bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

If it's not smoke and going off with steam then it sounds like a heat detector albeit a very sensitive one. Heavy steam might be enough to trigger an optical smoke head though.

Test it with a hair dryer. See if it goes off.

Could be a faulty head if steam is very light. They are inexpensive to replace.

mcgragger wrote: »
    If it's not smoke and going off with steam then it sounds like a heat detector albeit a very sensitive one. Heavy steam might be enough to trigger an optical smoke head though.

Test it with a hair dryer. See if it goes off.

Could be a faulty head if steam is very light. They are inexpensive to replace.

It's a smoke detector. Think I'll just swap for a heat detector. Previous house had a heat detector similar distance from oven and never a bother. I just wanted to check the regs had not changed since that was put in.

Can anyone tell me from the attached pic what is a suitable heat detector that would be compatible?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wasn't disputing it. I just think it makes more sense to put them outside a bedroom door rather than inside the actual bedroom.

20 years ago, I would have agreed with that thought, but the proliferation of all mannner of electrical devices, some that have chargers that are usually left on all the time means there is now probably more fire risk in bedrooms than there is in a circulation area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

stiofan85 wrote: »
    It's a smoke detector. Think I'll just swap for a heat detector. Previous house had a heat detector similar distance from oven and never a bother. I just wanted to check the regs had not changed since that was put in.

Can anyone tell me from the attached pic what is a suitable heat detector that would be compatible?

https://www.eielectronics.ie/products/fire/mains/ei144rc-heat-alarm/

• Advertisement

mcgragger wrote: »

Thanks, ordered one there.

Happy New Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

aido79 wrote:

I would agree with you. Personally I think battery ones should be banned. The amount of homes I'm in, particularly rented accommodation, where the wire is hanging out with no battery. Hard wired should be minimum standard imo

Advertisement