Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended video monitor

• 01-01-2020 12:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good video monitor?

Not particularly looking for a ‘smart’ one that links to WiFi or a phone - just a regular radio band one will do.

Main requirements are that it’s reliable in terms of range and can work with multiple cameras.

We’ve had a Samsung one for the last two years and it’s been fine, but would often lose signal despite our small house... that may be due to whatever the place is built with or just a poor aerial on the monitor, but either way we’d like to avoid the same issue this time around!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

We have the BT 5000 and would 100% recommend. Never loses signal and is reliable.
    flogen wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good video monitor?

Not particularly looking for a ‘smart’ one that links to WiFi or a phone - just a regular radio band one will do.

Main requirements are that it’s reliable in terms of range and can work with multiple cameras.

We’ve had a Samsung one for the last two years and it’s been fine, but would often lose signal despite our small house... that may be due to whatever the place is built with or just a poor aerial on the monitor, but either way we’d like to avoid the same issue this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Highroad12

I have the Motorola and find it great. Never had an issue with range and get a few hours out of the battery when its unplugged. Video is very clear even in dark.

Have it 2 years now and still going grand.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

We have an angelcare AC320. Couldn't really recommend it. Camera is zoomed in far too much by default meaning ours is mounted on the ceiling. This might be ok if the cord was longer, but it's not.

Other than that, it's good. Good range, clear screen, nice and big too. We never actually use the pressure mat in the end.

MIL has a vTech one she got locally. I don't know much about it, but you can hook multiple cameras into it. Range is only ok though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Highroad12 wrote: »
    I have the Motorola and find it great. Never had an issue with range and get a few hours out of the battery when its unplugged. Video is very clear even in dark.

Have it 2 years now and still going grand.
    Sarah1916 wrote: »
    We have the BT 5000 and would 100% recommend. Never loses signal and is reliable.

Thanks... do each of these support multiple cameras? I would have assumed so but can’t see any reference to it on the respective websites/product specs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

We had thr bt6000 which is "supposed " to support additional cameras ,however when I emailed them asking where I could get an additional one, they told me that I would need to buy another complete set eg monitor and camera to add the camera to the original monitor. They also said they couldnt guarantee the second camera would work as designed when set up to the first monitor. They recommended I just use 2 cameras and 2 monitors.
    IN SAYING THAT.... The BT6000 broke very easily when baby knocked it over.monitor couldn't be fixed so I ordered a cheap second hand bt3000 off ebay.
    I WAS ABLE to set up the camera of my 6000 and 3000 to the monitor of the bt3000. It doesnt lose signal and I can switch between the two cameras on my monitor.
    My 6000 camera wont pan or tilt but this is because the 3000 doesnt have the capability.
    When baby no2 comes we'll probably invest in the 6000 again and it will be interesting to see if that moved both cameras or not.
    I'd definitely make sure that whatever camera monitor set you buy has the ability to move remotely. Our baby is like Houdini, he manages to find the corners of the cot that aren't covered by the camera and stays there.
    Sorry for the long post, I hope it made sense.

Long story short, bt6000 does take additional camera but cant buy brand new additional camera for it on it's own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We have the BT 6000 too and the quality is great. Only have it 4 weeks so far but no issues.

I did buy a flexible holder for the camera as I didn't want to drill holes in the wall as we will be moving baby to another room soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BSDHCZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

I have a Motorola one and I remember it was quite cheap. I got it 4 years ago when I had my first child and we used it for around 2 years. I’m now using it again with our baby. Never had any issues with the range and the monitor’s battery still lasts a few hours. The monitor has an option for camera 1 and camera 2 so I guess you can have more than 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Wheety wrote: »
    We have the BT 6000 too and the quality is great. Only have it 4 weeks so far but no issues.

I did buy a flexible holder for the camera as I didn't want to drill holes in the wall as we will be moving baby to another room soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BSDHCZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We got one of these too and they are great. Only thing is baby has gotten bigger n went through a phase of pulling it down into the cot lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

We had thr bt6000 which is "supposed " to support additional cameras ,however when I emailed them asking where I could get an additional one, they told me that I would need to buy another complete set eg monitor and camera to add the camera to the original monitor. They also said they couldnt guarantee the second camera would work as designed when set up to the first monitor. They recommended I just use 2 cameras and 2 monitors.
    IN SAYING THAT.... The BT6000 broke very easily when baby knocked it over.monitor couldn't be fixed so I ordered a cheap second hand bt3000 off ebay.
    I WAS ABLE to set up the camera of my 6000 and 3000 to the monitor of the bt3000. It doesnt lose signal and I can switch between the two cameras on my monitor.
    My 6000 camera wont pan or tilt but this is because the 3000 doesnt have the capability.
    When baby no2 comes we'll probably invest in the 6000 again and it will be interesting to see if that moved both cameras or not.
    I'd definitely make sure that whatever camera monitor set you buy has the ability to move remotely. Our baby is like Houdini, he manages to find the corners of the cot that aren't covered by the camera and stays there.
    Sorry for the long post, I hope it made sense.

Long story short, bt6000 does take additional camera but cant buy brand new additional camera for it on it's own

I had noticed that there weren’t any standalone cameras available anywhere... seems a bit much to expect people to buy two sets just to get two cameras!

And yeah, the remote movement would be great. The Samsung doesn’t have it and as a result there’s a small portion of the cot that isn’t covered... which has led to a few minor heart attacks here and there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We got one of these too and they are great. Only thing is baby has gotten bigger n went through a phase of pulling it down into the cot lol

Ha Ha. We're not at that stage yet. But it is a great addition. Holds the camera way above the cot and gives a good view of baby. Not sure how I would have managed otherwise unless you attach to wall which is something I didn't want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Combine a Google Nest Hub with a compatible camera and you'll have an excellent system with a larger display screen than many of these purpose built systems. It'll also do far more for you than just a dedicated camera system and be cheaper too:

https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub - Parcel Motel or Address Pal it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HHZGFFT/?coliid=I18BEP4RUFNAEB&colid=2TGM19YIO46KL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just get a smart camera. I ditched the baby monitors for a Yi Home camera. Much better, much clearer and we've recorded some hilarious stuff off it that she'll appreciate when she's older.

Advertisement