Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Winning the league at a canter and still United are in your mind.

Yep, I hate utd. In a healthy way though not in a way that affects my life or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

6 wrote: »
    Get in !!!

9 more points requited for the title!

Loaded guns shooting too early today :D

Nothing worse than blowing your load quickly

Any chance utd can do us a favour tommorrow, they are in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Winning the league at a canter and still United are in your mind.

Must have something to do with all the utd fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool win 22 league games in a row at Anfield.

In doing so, they set a new all time PL (and English top flight) record of most successive home wins.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool win 22 league games in a row at Anfield.

In doing so, they set a new all time PL (and English top flight) record of most successive home wins.

Greatest premier league side ever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Liverpool go 25 points clear and break the record for most home league wins in a row. What a side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Harambe wrote: »
    Liverpool go 25 points clear and break the record for most home league wins in a row. What a side.

A special side. They have made it seem normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

City are the ones who made it seem normal. Are Liverpool trying to claim that as well? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

niallo27 wrote: »

For me, not yet. The potential is there for it though.

A few years ago, I said at the time that Man City 17-18 was the single greatest season by a PL side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just catching up with the thread, took a while with all the lads shooting their loads off early ;)

22 straight league wins at home. No other great teams ever did that.
    Records eh?

Glad of the win. VVD, Bobby, Trent off form in particular. Sub keeper playing. But the Ledge that is Milner came through big time.
    Mané and co have a lot of room to improve for the test on Wednesday.

Not playing well and still winning, sign of champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Just catching up with the thread, took a while with all the lads shooting their loads off early ;)

22 straight league wins at home. No other great teams ever did that.
    Records eh?

Glad of the win. VVD, Bobby, Trent off form in particular. Sub keeper playing. But the Ledge that is Milner came through big time.
    Mané and co have a lot of room to improve for the test on Wednesday.

Not playing well and still winning, sign of champions.

Small time but yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think the prevailing opinion on this thread is that they're the best team in the observable universe right now.

Hard to disagree with those fans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Small time but yeah...

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

City are the ones who made it seem normal. Are Liverpool trying to claim that as well? :pac:

Where are City now -- oh wait :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

8-10 wrote: »
    Think the prevailing opinion on this thread is that they're the best team in the observable universe right now.

Hard to disagree with those fans

only because there's nothing but Liverpool fans here now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

gimli2112 wrote: »
    only because there's nothing but Liverpool fans here now

Uncompetitive thread is the narrative :rolleyes:

Haller is a donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yep, I hate utd. In a healthy way though not in a way that affects my life or anything.

I.......believe......you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

FitzShane wrote: »
    For me, not yet. The potential is there for it though.

A few years ago, I said at the time that Man City 17-18 was the single greatest season by a PL side.

For two seasons we've been near untouchable but I'll admit that trophies really determine such a statement. Through gritted teeth I'll accept United 99 still hold the bar. Having said that, I feel the league now and back then is apples and oranges in terms of competiveness. Compared to now that United team had it handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This Arsenal v West Ham game is like watching two bald men fighting over a comb. Both are so terrible at the back but they're also awful in attack so that it doesn't really matter.

This Arsenal v West Ham game is like watching two bald men fighting over a comb. Both are so terrible at the back but they're also awful in attack so that it doesn't really matter.

Strange when one of teams have the best African attacker in the world.

Klopp makes good attackers out of African players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

That's certainly not Arsenal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

VAR is absolutely murdering Southampton and it's still 0-0

as much as I hate to admit it Aboomerang is one of the finest strikers in world football. also seems to be a decent guy as well despite having his character assassinated in Germany

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Klopp makes good attackers out of African players

WHAT!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!

The 3 highest scorers in the PL last season were all African attackers that became world class after Klopp bought them

I presume you're referring to one of them.

Two of them scored today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Orange2 wrote:
    If teams like Leicester and liverpool can win a league any team can
    So, you’re saying it’s a very competitive league. I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fair to say Pablo Mari wont be signed permanently.

Arsenal are awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone notice in the Liverpool game nó shaking hands before the game but the players hugging each other at the end, Like something out of Father Ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

For two seasons we've been near untouchable but I'll admit that trophies really determine such a statement. Through gritted teeth I'll accept United 99 still hold the bar. Having said that, I feel the league now and back then is apples and oranges in terms of competiveness. Compared to now that United team had it handy.

That Utd team of 98/99 definitely didn’t have it handy. They won the league by a point on the last day. Had an epic semi final replay against Arsenal in the FA cup,which easily could have gone a different way (Schmeichel penalty save against Bergkamp) and the extra time wonder goal by Ryan Giggs. They won the Champions League final by beating Bayern Munich in the final by scoring two injury time goals to steal it from Bayern.

Utd had it handy?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That Utd team of 98/99 definitely didn’t have it handy. They won the league by a point on the last day. Had an epic semi final replay against Arsenal in the FA cup,which easily could have gone a different way (Schmeichel penalty save against Bergkamp) and the extra time wonder goal by Ryan Giggs. They won the Champions League final by beating Bayern Munich in the final by scoring two injury time goals to steal it from Bayern.

I don’t agree they had it handy. I think the point is that Utd were up against domestic teams that couldn’t succeed in Europe. Utd were the only PL team to make it to the CL final for the first ~13years of the PL until Liverpool in ‘05.

It was a great achievement by that Utd team. No matter the strength of the PL, they won the CL to show how good they were.

Anyone notice in the Liverpool game nó shaking hands before the game but the players hugging each other at the end, Like something out of Father Ted

They said banning it beforehand was more for spreading awareness about being careful shaking hands in general rather than specifically because of danger to the players

Through gritted teeth I'll accept United 99 still hold the bar.

No chance. The United team of 2008 were far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That feckin Portsmouth quarter. Still no idea how we lost that.

In terms of the Premier league, which is what I was talking about, the amount of points this City team has dropped this season tells you everything. You might have won it by a point in 99 but that doesn't necessarily mean that the league was full of capable teams; it just means you just did about enough against the second best team.

No chance. The United team of 2008 were far better.

Don't mention that team to me. :D *****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MOTD will be a bag of fun tonight

VARsenal!

Christ how did they take so long to come to that decision? One look at the replay and you can see it's onside, and they're pissing about drawing lines and angles for five minutes.

• Advertisement

Poor moyesey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don’t agree they had it handy. I think the point is that Utd were up against domestic teams that couldn’t succeed in Europe. Utd were the only PL team to make it to the CL final for the first ~13years of the PL until Liverpool in ‘05.

Are you taking the piss here?

Can you really not think of any reason why other PL teams were not making CL finals during that era?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

In terms of the Premier league, which is what I was talking about, the amount of points this City team has dropped this season tells you everything. You might have won it by a point in 99 but that doesn't necessarily mean that the league was full of capable teams; it just means you just did about enough against the second best team.

United didn't lose a game in all competitions from December to June that season. When you didnt have massively stacked squads full of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bruce is doing some job at Newcastle considering he was the favorite for the sack at the start of the season keeping them in the same position as Rafa did however he doesn't seem to get the same credit at all.

United didn't lose a game in all competitions from December to June that season. When you didnt have massively stacked squads full of quality.
    United had a stacked squad and the financial muscle back then where most other teams were fodder bar one or two capable of competing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bruce is doing some job at Newcastle considering he was the favorite for the sack at the start of the season keeping them in the same position as Rafa did however he doesn't seem to get the same credit at all.

Many of their metrics are just terrible - indicating they really should be going down but scoring at just the right moment when they do and their keeper seems to have been enough. Be quite something if they ended up being safe with 8 games to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Are you taking the piss here?

Can you really not think of any reason why other PL teams were not making CL finals during that era?

Maybe you could enlighten us, is it only one team was able to go into the champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

Dier and Lloris awful there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hand ball no?

It’s a **** rule but accidental or not those are meant to be ruled out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hand ball no?

It’s a **** rule but accidental or not those are meant to be ruled out.

Only assister or scorer count

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement