Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

if he saw the handball it would be called as such. i dunno, i think they need to establish rules and enforce them regardless of what the ref sees/doesnt see, feels/doesnt feel
    Problem is, we've had goals ruled out with that system (unintentional handballs that led to goals), and people have complained about it.

This is it wrote: »
    Jose slating Ndombele in the after match interview. How bad was he?
    He was as bad as any other Spurs player. But this is Jose deflecting. Less talk about how bad his side was, and more focus on one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Problem is, we've had goals ruled out with that system (unintentional handballs that led to goals), and people have complained about it.

never mind the complaining. people will always complain regardless. rules should be rules, should be rules. maybe they need to look at the rules, but that goal should never of had the opportunity to arise

And my simple point is that they could still not reverse their decision. You seem to think that they would, with no guarantees. I didn't say he wouldn't reverse it, I just don't believe that they would as you seem to suggest. It was clear in real time, but the ref felt it wasn't a foul, so I doubt he would reverse it.

If he didn't think it was a foul, why would he go over to a monitor? PGMOL told refs to sparingly use monitors before the season, and that hasn't really changed as the season has gone on. The ref could have gone over, but he chose not to.

his feelings should be entirely irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

is there anything tangible that you can point to though; that separates his porto/inter chelsea vs chelsea/utd/spurs. like what changed?

Football changed. But he didn't. That's pretty much all I can back up my post with. The game evolved and his style (or lack of it) never moved with the times. He only really knows how to play one way and when that stopped working he couldn't find a way of adapting or evolving. He's inflexible in his approach.
    He began his career in managment at a very young age as managers go and basically he's become old fashioned/obsolete within his own time.
    Added to that he's got this remarkable tendency to create conflict within his own camp. Again old fashioned where you ruled with an iron fist and had an autocratic manager but it doesnt wash these days. You'd never catch the likes of Pep or Klopp slating players in interviews like Mourinho does.

never mind the complaining. people will always complain regardless. rules should be rules, should be rules. maybe they need to look at the rules, but that goal should never of had the opportunity to arise
    So, for you, anytime it hits the hand, it's a foul?
    I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I don't see it happening.

his feelings should be entirely irrelevant
    Unfortunately, that would require a rewrite of many the law of the game. It's not always black or white. Feelings/judgement/decision-making ain't going away.

So, for you, anytime it hits the hand, it's a foul?
    I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I don't see it happening.

not exactly, if the hand was removed from the equation, and the ball was going on to hit another part of the body, fair enough. it was gonna be blocked regardless.

Unfortunately, that would require a rewrite of many the law of the game. It's not always black or white. Feelings/judgement/decision-making ain't going away.

like the auld no yellow in the first few minutes, the 'freebie'. every rule should be enforced to the letter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

If he didn't think it was a foul, why would he go over to a monitor? PGMOL told refs to sparingly use monitors before the season, and that hasn't really changed as the season has gone on. The ref could have gone over, but he chose not to.

We both know refs dont go to monitors here because of VAR.
    We also both know today's one was a foul.
    We know that because we both saw replays.
    If VAR isnt there and refs are given the mandate to go to monitors instead of VAR then we both know todays ref has a look at the footage and realises he made an error. Anyone would know it was a foul after seeing the replays, it's ludicrous to suggest the ref wouldn't reach the same conclusion as the rest of us if he saw the replays.
    I'm leaving it there because I think you're being argumentative for the hell of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus Mourinho is just poision. The way he hung out Ndombele there, well you'd like to say you're surprised but it's the same kind of failed motivation tactic that stopped working a decade ago.

NewRed2 wrote: »
    We both know refs dont go to monitors here because of VAR.
    That's true for a lot of occurrences. But I don't believe the ref would have gone to a monitor on this issue, he didn't feel it was a foul.
    We know that because we both saw replays.
    I knew cause I saw it in real tie. Didn't need a replay.
    If VAR isnt there and refs are given the mandate to go to monitors instead of VAR then we both know todays ref has a look at the footage and realises he made an error.
    Ridiculous statement. You have no way of knowing that. He didn't feel it was a foul in real-time, and if he reviewed it himself, he could have easily felt he didn't make a error.
    I'm leaving it there because I think you're being argumentative for the hell of it.
    Not at all, wrong again. You're making claims about the ref with nothing to back it up. I'm saying the ref looked at it in real time and didn't make any effort to go to the monitor. Based on those facts, I'm saying he may not chance his mind at all.

Edit, I'm also basing it off Ref Watch on Sky Sports, when they review these. Dermot Gallagher view gives the insight to the mind of the ref, and they often protect/back the ref on such calls.

No league in almost 60 years, and no European Cup/CL ever. But despite that record, remarkably Poch's failure to land either cost him his job.

I wonder are Spurs really a step nearer either, or did they just accelerate the slide back to mid table mediocrity. Either way, you have to giggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

if he saw the handball it would be called as such. i dunno, i think they need to establish rules and enforce them regardless of what the ref sees/doesnt see, feels/doesnt feel

It was accidental handball so if ref saw it he was right to play on. Accidental handball is not an offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Watched the highlights of the spurs match, and from any of the replays inside there was zero contact for the penalty. Was there an angle that showed contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just watching MotD now and if that's not a free against Wilson then I don't know zip nowadays. You could give the ref a break on it but VAR, dear me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Ighalo: I spent my lunch money watching Man Utd'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11950276

Good read, good signing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Up 'the greatest sports team in the observable universe' 9 points away Reds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Anyone notice in the Liverpool game nó shaking hands before the game but the players hugging each other at the end, Like something out of Father Ted

Got they are so arrogant and haven't even won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Up 'the greatest sports team in the observable universe' 9 points away Reds

Draw every remaining game and it's done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

8-10 wrote: »
    Draw every remaining game and it's done

draw at City and we can afford to lose at Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

joe_99 wrote: »
    It was accidental handball so if ref saw it he was right to play on. Accidental handball is not an offence

It is under the new rules if you score or assist a goal as a result of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Looking forward to the Manchester's derby, reckon it will be a end to end game with plenty of goals.

Would love to see Man United do another favour for Lfc

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

ricero wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Manchester's derby, reckon it will be a end to end game with plenty of goals.

Would love to see Man United do another favour for Lfc

I'm sure Ole would love to see his boyhood club clinch the title as early as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Draw would be nice, wouldnt really suit either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Will there be any Man U fans on here supporting City today or was last season a once-off? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea (4-3-3): Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Zouma, Alonso; Barkley, Gilmour, Mount; Willian, Giroud, Pedro

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Tomori, James, Broja, Anjorin, Batshuayi

Everton (4-4-2): Pickford; Sidibé, Holgate, Keane, Digne; Sigurdsson, Gomes, Davies, Bernard; Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison

Subs: Stekelenburg, Baines, Mina, Iwobi, Walcott, Kean, Gordon

Referee: Kevin Friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Looking at that Chelsea midfield, I half fancy Everton to get something out of this game

That's what I thought, the Liverpool game has cost them a bit and Everton seem pretty squad strong.

Looking forward to the Manchester derby. Any result is a good one!

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Will there be any Man U fans on here supporting City today or was last season a once-off? :pac:

i'd say that was a one off. last season utd had nothing to play for and the league was in the balance. this season utd can still make top 4, and the league is liverpools

• Pickford is so poor

Hmm, Everton are shoite it turns out, Chelsea need to win this, the Blades have a game in hand on them and could jump into forth if the results work out.

Pickford is so poor

another mistake?

• another mistake?

First goal

Beaten easily again to his left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Touch of the Joe Hart's about him. Hyped up too young. Shouldn't be England's number 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

8-10 wrote: »
    Touch of the Joe Hart's about him. Hyped up too young. Shouldn't be England's number 1

Loud mouth and believed the hype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Easy 3 points for Liverpool coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

ebbsy wrote: »

Just like those easy 3 points against Watford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Everton seriously below par today. Some great passing from Chelsea but Everton not at the races at all.

Surely be a change or two at half time.

I actually thought Everton would do well here when I saw the Chelsea starting eleven but it's been a poor showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ebbsy wrote: »

Everton team playing against us will be a whole other game but from what I recall about the fixture from last season is that we were very wasteful. We should sort them out fairly handily.

I fancy United to win today, might even have a few quid on it with it being 7/2

Gylfi Sigurdsson touched the ball 12 times during that first half. He has to be Everton's worst buy in a long, long series of awful buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chelsea have 5 players with 90% pass completion whilst Mount has most tackles and interceptions with 2 tackles and 1 interception. Walk in the park for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gylfi Sigurdsson touched the ball 12 times during that first half. He has to be Everton's worst buy in a long, long series of awful buys.

I wouldn't agree with that last sentence - they've had some terrible, costly players in recent years and Sigurdsson has delivered at times - but they'd be better off selling him, I think.

You'd need to build the entire team around him to get the best out of him and doing that would undermine a lot of the players around him.

Problem is that he cost quite a bit and they'd probably lose quite a bit on that given his performances this season and his age. He'll be 31 in September so whoever signs him wouldn't make a thing selling him on really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If an U12 made the effort that Holgate made there to block the shot for the 3rd, they’d be taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not by a long long way, he was very good last season, 13 goals, 6 assists.
    But he's prone to being anonymous and has been underpar this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I fancy United to win today, might even have a few quid on it with it being 7/2

Got Chelsea/United double at a little over 8/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jesus they have brought on Theo Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

12 minutes into the 2nd half Walcott hasn't touched the ball

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement