Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ole record in big games is actually good. It’s the lesser teams he has a problem with

As he was missing the most creative player in the squad in Pogba. Bruno has come in now and changed that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

This is it wrote: »
    As bad as United have been, and as inept as Ole has been, they're 3 off 4th and only 5 off 3rd with Leicester in terrible form, though they have a game in hand.

They're battling it out with Wolves and SU because the likes of Spurs and Arsenal are absolutely crap this season.

Yeah fair enough Arsenal have been crap this season, but look at the table. Arsenal were only 2 points behind Utd going into yesterday’s games with the same amount played. Utd then got a great result beating City at home.
    Utd are battling Spurs and Arsenal also. You sound like they are both miles away from Utd, yet saying Utd are only 3 point off 4th and 5 points off 3rd. You’re as close to mid table, as you are to 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

bangkok wrote: »
    As he was missing the most creative player in the squad in Pogba. Bruno has come in now and changed that

Missing Pogba in big games has probably done him a favour, it allows a more disciplined team ,

Don't get me wrong Pogba can be fantastic at times but United don't have the players to allow him the platform (ability to switch on and off ) like France and Juve did ,

Yeah fair enough Arsenal have been crap this season, but look at the table. Arsenal were only 2 points behind Utd going into yesterday’s games with the same amount played. Utd then got a great result beating City at home.
    Utd are battling Spurs and Arsenal also. You sound like they are both miles away from Utd, yet saying Utd are only 3 point off 4th and 5 points off 3rd. You’re as close to mid table, as you are to 3rd.

This is it United season can go both ways still 5 points off 3rd but also only 6 points off Palace in 11th ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Lampard is still being questioned at Chelsea it's his first job and he has spent zero,
    Ole has spent 200 million since last season already had Dé Gea, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and other decent players

Aand is currently battling it out with wolves and Sheffield United

He might have spent zero, but there were permanent signings such as Kovacic and a lot of guys back in from loan like Pulisic, Mount, Batshuayi, Kenedy and Abraham.
    Lampard still had a lot to work with after inheriting a squad that also won the EL (minus Hazard - who's barely payed this year) the previous season.

It's a bit of a myth that Lampard was massively affected by the transfer ban. It had some affect, but it can be over played.

• Advertisement

As bad as United have been, and as inept as Ole has been, they're 3 off 4th and only 5 off 3rd with Leicester in terrible form, though they have a game in hand.

They're battling it out with Wolves and SU because the likes of Spurs and Arsenal are absolutely crap this season.

Lose to Spurs away next week and there only 1 point ahead of them ,
    It still good be a good season or a shocker,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He might have spent zero, but there were permanent signings such as Kovacic and a lot of guys back in from loan like Pulisic, Mount, Batshuayi, Kenedy and Abraham.
    Lampard still had a lot to work with after inheriting a squad that also won the EL (minus Hazard - who's barely payed this year) the previous season.

It's a bit of a myth that Lampard was massively affected by the transfer ban. It had some affect, but it can be over played.

This!
    Was just going to say most of that. The 3 English lads are probably 'worth' 100m + in today's market, was Pulesic something like 75 million?
    Frank is a nice English chap, so he'll get an easy ride in a lot of the media. He's doing OK, just OK, but the narrative shouldn't be about poor Chelsea and poor Frank with no players.

Kovacic was there last season so you can hardly count him as a new signing ,

Pulisic 21 , Mount 21 , Abraham 22 all kids with basically no prem experience,

Hazard carried them and was there best player for the last 5 years ,

Massive difference from spending 200 million ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm not a United fan so I'm not close to anything.

But yes, I take your point and agree. My point was, United are battling Wolves and SU because other top teams aren't doing as well as they normally would. And obviously Wolves and SU are doing really well.

This!
    Was just going to say most of that. The 3 English lads are probably 'worth' 100m + in today's market, was Pulesic something like 75 million?
    Frank is a nice English chap, so he'll get an easy ride in a lot of the media. He's doing OK, just OK, but the narrative shouldn't be about poor Chelsea and poor Frank with no players.

Which 3 English lads ?

There is no way in hell at the start of the season you'd get any where near that for Mount or Abraham , You must be joking ,

• Advertisement

I'm not a United fan so I'm not close to anything.

But yes, I take your point and agree. My point was, United are battling Wolves and SU because other top teams aren't doing as well as they normally would. And obviously Wolves and SU are doing really well.

United are battling Wolves and Su because United are not doing well,
    Yes others are not playing well but United themselves are not doing well ,

As I said yesterday they could yet finish with there worst ever points regardless of anyone else ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea lost there best player, don't have any decent CF of note, CB of note, filled the holes in the squad with young players, goalkeeper is error-ridden. They are good to watch also, I think Frank has done a very good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

City would not be too sad if they didn't have to give a guard of honour at home in April.

I think they might not be trying to hard in the coming games, the Madrid match notwithstanding ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wonder is yesterday Man Utd's biggest win of the season.

Or would Watford's vs Liverpool win be both Man Utd & Arsenal's biggest win?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

MD1990 wrote: »

For Utd their wins over City. For Arsenal maybe the Watford-Liverpool result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Kovacic was there last season so you can hardly count him as a new signing
    He was made a permanent signing for this season, so I do count him.
    Pulisic 21 , Mount 21 , Abraham 22 all kids with basically no prem experience
    Very true. But all had talent, and were like signings, esp Pulisic (with losts of Bundesliga exp) and what he cost.
    Hazard carried them and was there best player for the last 5 years
    True, he was a big loss.
    Massive difference from spending 200 million ,
    I agree he didn't spend, but he didn't walk into a terrible situation with a mid table team. They finished 3rd last year and won the EL. They did get some additions into the squad from all their loans. I'd forgotten Zouma as well.

They also let a lot of players go via transfer (Luiz) or loan (Bakayoko, Moses, Zappacosta). I give him credit for their season, but it's not the pauper story some have tried to spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Utd already won at City this season. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Chelsea knew there was a ban coming and they were were smart with their transfers a year in advance to prepare for the ban. My understanding of it is that they didn't have a ban on transfers, it was just a ban on registering new players. They could have bought new players this season if they wanted to, they just couldn't register them and therefore would not be able to play. No player would really agree to that. Arda Turan did agree to it years ago with Barca though.

In January, they bought Pulisic before the ban kicked in, in order to get his registration in place, before loaning him back to Dortmund. They were killing 2 birds with 1 stone - get your replacement in for Hazard before he leaves and also beat the registration ban for the following season.

They also paid a very hefty loan fee for Higuain for 18 months in January too, in order to get his registration in early and beat the ban.

You would have to think that they had an idea during the summer that there could be a ban coming in, so agreed the loan with option to buy for Kovacic. Again, beating the registration ban.

I'm sure they had a very strong idea that Abraham was going to be one of their strikers for the season, along with Higuain. He had a very big season in the Championship scoring close to 30 goals in all comps. He already had another big Championship season under his belt, along with a full season playing for Swansea in the Premier League. He was always going to be one of their main players this season really, ban or no ban.

Chelsea fans spent the entire 18-19 season clamoring for CHO to play more games (pre-injury). Reece James had a very big season for Wigan and won their POTY award and along with Tomori & Mount both coming off full seasons under Lampard as additional squad players, they were well set up for this season. Loftus Cheek was settled in the squad after years of being on loan, albeit not playing as much as expected due to multiple injuries.

Of course James, Mount, Tomori were more unknowns but in Kovacic, Pulisic, CHO, Loftus Cheek, Abraham, Chelsea effectively had a lot of 'new' players playing this season, or ready to form their main squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

There's definitely something happening at Chelsea. For a long time they've been regarded as having one of the best youth set ups in European football but they just couldn't find the right player or the right timing to break one of the kids into the 1st team. The ban, the appointment of Lampard, the feeling that this is a transitional time at the club with Man City and Liverpool being so far ahead of everyone else, and a really good crop of youngsters coming through has all just coincided.

What's important next is getting the right mentality into those young players, keeping standards high, and that comes from the coach and also from buying the right players that will add to this group. With the right extras around them, I honestly think they could become the best team in England. Tomori, James, Gilmour (who I really can't say enough good things about), Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, it's a really gifted spine of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's definitely something happening at Chelsea. For a long time they've been regarded as having one of the best youth set ups in European football but they just couldn't find the right player or the right timing to break one of the kids into the 1st team. The ban, the appointment of Lampard, the feeling that this is a transitional time at the club with Man City and Liverpool being so far ahead of everyone else, and a really good crop of youngsters coming through has all just coincided.

What's important next is getting the right mentality into those young players, keeping standards high, and that comes from the coach and also from buying the right players that will add to this group. With the right extras around them, I honestly think they could become the best team in England. Tomori, James, Gilmour (who I really can't say enough good things about), Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, it's a really gifted spine of a team.

Marco van Ginkel must be about ready to come good too!

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Marco van Ginkel must be about ready to come good too!

I think that one's done with, but there was a few around that time who you thought if they just got the chance maybe they could have become permanent fixtures in that Chelsea team and it just never happened. Imagine even 3 or 4 years ago telling someone that Chelsea would be starting an 18 year old kid from the academy in a big Premier League fixture, they'd swear you'd gone mad, let alone telling them he'd be partnered in midfield with another player from their academy.

Here's a questions

Who is better Saint-maximin (22) or Adama Traore (24) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Here's a questions

Both have no end product.

Luke shaw has had some turn around as well lately. Playing excellent. Pleased for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Luke shaw has had some turn around as well lately. Playing excellent. Pleased for him

I know he's carrying a little weight but Jesus it hasn't taken him that long to turn around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Here's a questions

I would take Sarr (22) over both of them

We all know that but who is better

I would take Sarr (22) over both of them

I think that's obvious he's better player with much better end product, That why I asked who better between the other two both poor end product but can be fun to watch ,

Just wondered of the two who people thin is better ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think that's obvious he's better player with much better end product, That why I asked who better between the other two both poor end product but can be fun to watch ,

Just wondered of the two who people thin is better ,

IMO, Adama Traore by a long-shot.

But 2 years ago, I would have said Traore was (more) brainless and wasteful than most in the league so there's time for Saint-Maximin to kick on.

Traore still struggles for consistency but when he's on it, he can be terrific to watch. I wouldn't say the same for Saint-Maximin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's not true anymore.

Traore has 4 goals and 7 assists in the league this season.

If there's still more to come he could rapidly become one of the best attacking players in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Gbear wrote: »
    That's not true anymore.

If there's still more to come he could rapidly become one of the best attacking players in the league.
    No doubt he has improved a lot. Still would hope for a lot more from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Traore is also the most fouled player in the league and has more yellow card fouls on him from opposition teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

what's the point of this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gbear wrote: »
    That's not true anymore.

He has improved but a lot of his work is done in non threatening areas. 4 goals for someone playing in the front 3 of a top 6 or 8 team isnt overly impressive.

• Advertisement

I see Bruno Fernandes got player of the month ,

He's been decent and is United best midfielder but has he really done enough in the 4 games in February to be player of the month ?

Wolves probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the pitch from Portugal, got credit for 3 shots ballooned over and wide,
    Watford yes man of the match only game he seemed to control the rest he has drifted out of ,
    Everton he scored (Pickford)and was decent not much more ,
    Chelsea there midfield controlled and bossed United's for the whole game, Difference was Chelsea poor forwards, ( Assist from a corner hardly amazing stuff )

You'd have to feel if he wasn't a United player he'd been no where near player of the month ,

Traore is a bit special. He's always been fun to watch play even going back to his Barcelona days but this season he's really started to put it all together. His stats are pretty good, but don't reflect his importance overall, he's a force that even the top teams have to plan for and change their own systems to adjust for, not many players have that kind of impact. He carries the ball, he relieves pressure on the backline, and just by being there and there being so much focus on him defensively he gives Jota (or Neto) more space and time to work in. He's still great fun to watch too.

• Nothing player bill

Nothing player bill

No he's a good player , but in four games in Feb he didn't really pull up trees (Watford aside) but showed glimpses of him being a good player,

No he's a good player , but in four games in Feb he didn't really pull up trees (Watford aside) but showed glimpses of him being a good player,

maybe you havent seen him play much but he has been fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Traore is injured atm playing with a dislocated shoulder.
    Super player makes any team bar City & Liverpool.

Makes Chelsea,Arsenal,Man Utd,Leicester,Spurs team on the right side.

Man Utd fan calling him a nothing player must wonder how Daniel James continues to get games. No goals in 6 months

I see Bruno Fernandes got player of the month ,

He's been decent and is United best midfielder but has he really done enough in the 4 games in February to be player of the month ?

Wolves probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the pitch from Portugal, got credit for 3 shots ballooned over and wide,
    Watford yes man of the match only game he seemed to control the rest he has drifted out of ,
    Everton he scored (Pickford)and was decent not much more ,
    Chelsea there midfield controlled and bossed United's for the whole game, Difference was Chelsea poor forwards, ( Assist from a corner hardly amazing stuff )

You'd have to feel if he wasn't a United player he'd been no where near player of the month ,

United only played three games in February.

maybe you havent seen him play much but he has been fantastic

I'm being honest iv seen him play he has had some great moments but he has also been missing for large parts of games,

Everton had more possession than United and so did Chelsea,
    Two games he was missing in for large parts ,
    Yes he scored (Pickford) and had an assist from a corner so that what people see,

He was wonderful against Watford and I thought he was ok against Wolves (first game expected )

He has been good and is United best midfielder , Will be huge for them going forward but I think the first 4 games are being over hyped on his actually all round performance,

TitianGerm wrote: »
    United only played three games in February.
    I thought they count the Everton one in the voting ,as the Saturday fixtures where in February ?
    If not then its worse he wins it basically for the Watford game ,

I thought they count the Everton one in the voting ,as the Saturday fixtures where in February ?
    If not then its worse he wins it basically for the Watford game ,

who would you have given it to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Jota had s good month didn't he? Not sure if that was in cup games tho. Can't recall off hand

Out of those nominated;

Doherty helped Wolves to three clean sheets against United, Leicester and Norwich. Had an assist as well.

Pope kept 3 clean sheets in 4 games and only conceded one.

Both were definitely worth a shout but Fernandez was there abouts as well.

No one really stood out on their own this month I think especially with fewer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Is this the award voted for by fans?

The one voted on the EA Sports website lists Fernandes alongside Nick Pope, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Matt Doherty, Marcos Alonso and Dominic Calvert-Lewin as nominees, if so.

I don't think these things are worth getting worked up over - especially if its a fan vote. All it takes is a player from a team with a large fanbase to be nominated and they'll almost certainly win, whether they deserve it or not.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Out of those nominated;

Doherty helped Wolves to three clean sheets against United, Leicester and Norwich. Had an assist as well.

Pope kept 3 clean sheets in 4 games and only conceded one.

Both were definitely worth a shout but Fernandez was there about a as well.

No one really stood out on their own this month I think especially with fewer games.

Strangely Alanso had two man of the match performances ,

Calvent Lewin and EPA aslo had two super games in there ,

I feel like Bruno had one great game and 2 decent ,

Is this the award voted for by fans?

The one voted on the EA Sports website lists Fernandes alongside Nick Pope, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Matt Doherty, Marcos Alonso and Dominic Calvert-Lewin as nominees, if so.

I don't think these things are worth getting worked up over - especially if its a fan vote. All it takes is a player from a team with a large fanbase to be nominated and they'll almost certainly win, whether they deserve it or not.

Yes correct its fan vote,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement