Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jota had s good month didn't he? Not sure if that was in cup games tho. Can't recall off hand

If you add Cup games and Europe he was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Fernandes has single handedly turned Utd''s season around in 4 games, some of the Utd lads are probably wondering if Ole should be kept on but seriously he's a deserved winner. No one player has had such an impact on his team last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In other news ALL domestic Italian football is postponed until April 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Euro's will be cancelled surely.

The leagues have to be finished too much of the season is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just want the PL schedule speeded up, ditch the CL and go three games in 8 days for three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they end up going behind closed doors like Italy, then play a few games during the day midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ditch the CL

No. Don't do that!!

8-10 wrote: »
    No. Don't do that!!

Let's make the decision on Thursday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just want the PL schedule speeded up, ditch the CL and go three games in 8 days for three weeks.

If the champions leauge is ditched or cancelled Liverpool become 7 times winners,
    That would rightly piss some people off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If the champions leauge is ditched or cancelled Liverpool become 7 times winners,

Not as much as it would piss Liverpool fans if the League was cancelled :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm confused where your going with this. If the CL is ditched or cancelled then there is no 2019/20 winner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Brilliant idea. I`m sure that UEFA and the PL will have no problems whatsoever in doing just that.:rolleyes: You should contact them and suggest it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Err how do you make that out? Unless there is a dramatic worsening of the virus outbreak throughout Europe I don`t think that UEFA will cancel the rest of the competition anyway. All remaining matches to be played behind closed doors is the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd assume that Juventus will not be happy with they ruling for Serie A. Will have a real lack of rhythm going into the CL games. If they get through, they will have a backlog to work with, in addition to possible European games. Same with Inter. Roma & Atalanta.

I'd imagine that the PL is another few weeks away from that yet, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

FitzShane wrote: »
    I'd assume that Juventus will not be happy with they ruling for Serie A. Will have a real lack of rhythm going into the CL games. If they get through, they will have a backlog to work with, in addition to possible European games. Same with Inter. Roma & Atalanta.

I'd imagine that the PL is another few weeks away from that yet, if at all.

Tbh they haven't had much rhythm this season anyway but the lack of domestic football will be a hinderance for any Italian club in Europe. I would love to see Atalanta dump them out of Europe just to spite Agnelli.
    After last night Inter should probably shift their attention to Europe as they won't catch Juve playing like that.

As far as the Premier League tbh the TV deals are what make it successful so they wont pull the plug until they are absolutely forced to. UEFA having playoffs later this month for a tournament that will have to be looked at closely now is probably a bigger headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

Just quoting this again. Looking forward to what nonsense is used to explain it away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Reina is such a terrible keeper.

That's just not true.

I thought he was decent recently but that was a shocker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Shocking bad goalkeeping there

Wish players would come up with a new celebration... the knee slide is so overused now. :)

This is it wrote: »
    I thought he was decent recently but that was a shocker

Two games in a row he has cost Villa now. Always a huge error in him but he gets a pass from most Liverpool fans who will defend him wherever he plays He was only in the Spanish squad for so long as he was basically a mascot who arranged everything for the rest of the players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

?

Are you going to tell us all how you came to that conclusion?

Are you going to tell us all how you came to that conclusion?

Time to hide out until it's forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I guess in 2019 if you asked "who are the European champions" the answer was Liverpool and that would be the case in 2020 and into 2021. We'll be the champions for 2 years, may as well give it to us.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I guess in 2019 if you asked "who are the European champions" the answer was Liverpool and that would be the case in 2020 and into 2021. We'll be the champions for 2 years, may as well give it to us.

I'd agree, but that's different than being 7 times champions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gimli2112 wrote: »

Still wouldn't be 7 times champions they would just be the reigning champions till the next team win the trophy in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still wouldn't be 7 times champions they would just be the reigning champions till the next team win the trophy in a final.

Still though, be nice to be simultaneously reigning English, European, and World champions for that bit longer!

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Still though, be nice to be simultaneously reigning English, European, and World champions for that bit longer!

Just need to get those magic 6 points before the shut down happens.

Looked a shoulder to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How has VAR allowed that penalty to stand for Leicester when the replays show it clearly hits Mings' shoulder. It's stupid defending, but it hits the shoulder all the same.

Very harsh to give that as hand ball when it clearly hit the top of his shoulder.

Flies in the face of their many "shoulder/armpit" offside calls this season too, declaring that a legitimate of the body to touch the ball with.

Is this the award voted for by fans?

The one voted on the EA Sports website lists Fernandes alongside Nick Pope, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Matt Doherty, Marcos Alonso and Dominic Calvert-Lewin as nominees, if so.

I don't think these things are worth getting worked up over - especially if its a fan vote. All it takes is a player from a team with a large fanbase to be nominated and they'll almost certainly win, whether they deserve it or not.

Fan base award is nothing like you said. No matter how good the small club player has no chance against tbe big money fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Clearly his shoulder, odd and stupid decision whatever Mings had in mind with that versatile clearance but he shouldn't be punished for it as they were implying it was a handball which it was not and with video replay you'd have thought a simple one to correct...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

monkey9 wrote: »
    How has VAR allowed that penalty to stand for Leicester when the replays show it clearly hits Mings' shoulder. It's stupid defending, but it hits the shoulder all the same.

As the lads using it are tossers. :pac:

It's the flicking out of the arm that did it. If you pause it a couple of frames earlier you'd say top of the shoulder no doubt. Then he flicks his arm out at it and it swings more towards being his arm it hit. Hard to tell from a moving video.

• Advertisement

When it comes to VAR the old saying Too Many Cooks springs to mind.

A set of officials on the pitch being second judged by a team of officials watching them on screen.

When it comes to VAR the old saying Too Many Cooks springs to mind.

A set of officials on the pitch being second judged by a team of officials watching them on screen.

The officials on the pitch cant judge stuff properly in real time unless its really clear cut. Its educated guesswork.

The officials on the pitch cant judge stuff properly in real time unless its really clear cut. Its educated guesswork.

Educated guess work that work fine for over 100 years.

Now they are looking at as well if I make a mistake the guys in the studio will get it right and the standards of the on field officials will slip and get worse as the years go by as the will happily let the VAR refs cover their ass.

Also the issue we have seen this season as well is the officials in the studio are getting the decisions wrong as well.

All the Villa defenders on screen for the whole time Leicester attacked there from when they lost the ball to when Leicester scored just looked like they were barley more than walking. No urgency at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If only there was a screen nearby that they could check important decisions with.....

Whatever about the pen, Vardy's drought truly over with his second!

• Advertisement

Educated guess work that work fine for over 100 years.

Now they are looking at as well if I make a mistake the guys in the studio will get it right and the standards of the on field officials will slip and get worse as the years go by as the will happily let the VAR refs cover their ass.

It didnt work fine. There just wasnt an alternative. If a horrendous officiating mistake was made it was just tough luck.

ERG89 wrote: »
    If only there was a screen nearby that they could check important decisions with.....

They dont need to, theres someone to do it for them.

It's not like the VAR is just some lad they pull out of the crowd.

Villa are very much living up to their position.

Oof, great 4th! And a second for Barnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Villa falling apart now. I think these are going down with Norwich.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement