Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The defending is just so bad. Plenty of players back but all of them just manage to do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are you going to tell us all how you came to that conclusion?

It's in the rules of the competition is cancelled it goes to previous winner,

This is it wrote: »
    Time to hide out until it's forgotten

It's a rule, if competition is cancelled for any reason it goes to the previous winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

They dont need to, theres someone to do it for them.

It's not like the VAR is just some lad they pull out of the crowd.

True but he's the one supposedly tasked to make the calls, him having no input to the review doesn't suggest they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's a rule, if competition is cancelled for any reason it goes to the previous winner

this is going to spark a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Can you gives us all the link on UEFA'S website that explains this rule so since I'm guessing you read it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

So City could lift the PL? By jaysus, as much as I want to see Liverpool win it, I'd laugh my head off if that was the case.

Though I doubt it is the case in the PL or CL. If you can show it in the rules, fair play.

So City could lift the PL? By jaysus, as much as I want to see Liverpool win it, I'd laugh my head off if that was the case.

Though I doubt it is the case in the PL or CL. If you can show it in the rules, fair play.

Pl and CL are different competitions run by different organisations and have different rules.

Havnt seen anyone say thats the rule in the PL. (anyway, that should be over by this time next week anyway hopefully :) )

A league and a cup are very different anyway. Theres plenty of grounds to blow the league up early if needs be and declare Liverpool the winners. Theres no one "ahead" in the CL to pick as a winner.

No as its not a premier leauge rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think that just means the current holders hang onto the trophy for another season. It certainly does not mean we'd have 'won' it for a seventh time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just need to get those magic 6 points before the shut down happens.

I doubt there will be a shutdown of the PL unless the virus outbreak dramatically escalates in the UK. All games after the international break played behind closed doors is the most likely scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

if we actually mathematically win the league and it's subsequently abandoned does it count?
    what's it say in the rule book yourdeadright?

Pl and CL are different competitions run by different organisations and have different rules.

Havnt seen anyone say thats the rule in the PL. (anyway, that should be over by this time next week anyway hopefully :) )

A league and a cup are very different anyway. Theres plenty of grounds to blow the league up early if needs be and declare Liverpool the winners. Theres no one "ahead" in the CL to pick as a winner.

I'd be very surprised if that was a rule anywhere.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think that just means the current holders hang onto the trophy for another season. It certainly does not mean we'd have 'won' it for a seventh time.

Champions league holders 2019 - 2021 will do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Clearly his shoulder, odd and stupid decision whatever Mings had in mind with that versatile clearance but he shouldn't be punished for it as they were implying it was a handball which it was not and with video replay you'd have thought a simple one to correct...

Not clearly his shoulder at all, off the fleshy part of the upper arm, but not the shoulder, and the fact he flicked/threw out his arm did for him too. A tight/harsh call, but still a handball IMHO, and not clear at all.
    Mings is a very ordinary player, and has played for England? I dunno.... He always seems to be busting his a55 to make a last ditch tackle, and or make a spectacular block or something. Villa are a poor enough side, and having their defence built around him doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 29 highlights
    Liverpool V Bournemouth

Arsenal V West Ham

Palace V Watford

Sheff Utd V Norwich

Southampton V Newcastle

Wolves V Brighton

Burnley V Spurs

Chelsea V Everton

Man Utd V Man City

Leicester V Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

82 Liverpool (9)
    57 Man City (10)
    53 Leicester (9)
    48 Chelsea (9)
    45 Man Utd (9)
    43 Wolves (9) Sheff Utd (10)
    41 Spurs (9)
    40 Arsenal (10)
    39 Burnley (9) Palace (9)
    37 Everton (9)
    35 Newcastle (9)
    34 Southampton (9)
    29 Brighton (9)
    27 West Ham (9) Watford (9) Bournemouth (9)
    25 Villa (10)
    21 Norwich (9)

gimli2112 wrote: »
    if we actually mathematically win the league and it's subsequently abandoned does it count?
    what's it say in the rule book yourdeadright?

If you win it they win it,
    The problem the Prem will have is with relegation and Champions leauge places
    Say a team is in the bottom 3 when it's told to stop but have a game in Hand to get out?
    There would be murder and courtcases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not clearly his shoulder at all, off the fleshy part of the upper arm, but not the shoulder, and the fact he flicked/threw out his arm did for him too. A tight/harsh call, but still a handball IMHO, and not clear at all.
    Mings is a very ordinary player, and has played for England? I dunno.... He always seems to be busting his a55 to make a last ditch tackle, and or make a spectacular block or something. Villa are a poor enough side, and having their defence built around him doesn't help.

They just ran through replays once again on MNF, and it really does look to clearly be his shoulder. Like, the pointy bit of the shoulder, not below getting into the upper arm, but actually fairly firmly just shoulder. And it being his shoulder, any bit of movement his arm does (which i think you're overselling a wee bit), is irrelevant.

Looked firmly the wrong call for me anyway.

• Advertisement

If you win it they win it,
    The problem the Prem will have is with relegation and Champions leauge places
    Say a team is in the bottom 3 when it's told to stop but have a game in Hand to get out?
    There would be murder and courtcases

Anymore on this?

Can you show us the rule? If it's there then fair play, it's not something I've ever heard of.

Fire up a link to the rule and prove us eejits wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Here's a good quiz question - name the five outfield non-UK/Ireland players with the most Premier League appearances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Will Pep rethink plan for Wan-Bissaka?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11954083

I said it a while back, i think wan bissaka is the best defender in a one on one situation. Rarely beaten

chips1234 wrote: »
    Here's a good quiz question - name the five outfield non-UK/Ireland players with the most Premier League appearances

Dwight Yorke?

bangkok wrote: »
    Dwight Yorke?

3. dwight yorke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

3. dwight yorke

Anelka?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I said it a while back, i think wan bissaka is the best defender in a one on one situation. Rarely beaten

Sterling hasn't scored in months. It wasn't something magical AWB did to stop him.

3. dwight yorke

Fabregas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

3. dwight yorke

Brad Friedl?

Anelka?
    Fabregas?

3. dwight yorke

4. anelka

fabregas is 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Lucas Radebe?

• Advertisement

Brad Friedl?

outfield players

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sterling hasn't scored in months. It wasn't something magical AWB did to stop him.

More than just that match, you rarely see him beat in a one on one. Sterling is probably one of the best wide forwards in the league as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Henry must be in there?

Boateng for Boro? Kolo Toure? Both seemed to be around for donkeys years.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Lucas Radebe?
    Henry must be in there?

nope and nope

Boateng for Boro? Kolo Toure? Both seemed to be around for donkeys years.

2. george boateng

3. dwight yorke

4. anelka

5, kolo toure

Clichy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I looked this up, would be very surprised to see somebody get the first one without going looking

Clichy?

nope

Certainly up there, especially for fullbacks. In the prem, he'd only be behind a few for me, with VVD out on top.

• Advertisement

2. george boateng

3. dwight yorke

4. anelka

5, kolo toure

Distan? He played with City and Everton for a long time.

Edit: maybe not though was he not relegated with City didn't he.

1. sylvain distin

2. george boateng

3. dwight yorke

4. anelka

5, kolo toure

gg

Azpilicuata!? Dont think that's right but I'll keep guessing :D

No way you got those three without looking :D you're the lad at the back of a pub quiz with his phone under the table. Tut tut.

Azpilicuata!? Dont think that's right but I'll keep guessing :D

i got it from another forum, was guessing people like yakubu kolarov and players who felt like they were just around for ages in prem :D

No way you got those three without looking :D you're the lad at the back of a pub quiz with his phone under the table. Tut tut.

Ha no way.

I was trying to think back who was in the league the longest and remembered Distan playing with City in the early 00s and recently enough with Everton (2016/2017?) so was thinking he was around a good 15 years.

Same with Toure. Arsenal invincible and played with Liverpool in 15/16 before going to Celtic so around 15 years again.

Boateng was at Villa late 90s, I remember him because one of my best mates in school absolutely loved Villa and thought he was a superstar :pac: was at Boro when they had Junihno, and played with Yakubu, Macaronne and Viduku as well.

Ha no way.

I was trying to think back who was in the league the longest and remembered Distan playing with City in the early 00s and recently enough with Everton (2016/2017?) so was thinking he was around a good 15 years.

Same with Toure. Arsenal invincible and played with Liverpool in 15/16 before going to Celtic so around 15 years again.

Boateng was at Villa late 90s, I remember him because one of my best mates in school absolutely loved Villa and thought he was a superstar :pac: was at Boro when they had Junihno, and played with Yakubu, Macaronne and Viduku as well.

:)

Ha no way.

Spoooooooooffff!

:pac:

• Advertisement

Anymore on this?

Can you show us the rule? If it's there then fair play, it's not something I've ever heard of.

Fire up a link to the rule and prove us eejits wrong.

I'm looking for it there and can't find it, I came across it on twitter now I'm starting to doubt myself,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement