Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Walters is entitled to his opinion but when and if the virus outbreak worsens matches can and will be played behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Surely they will have to ban spitting on the pitch since handshakes were banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'm looking for it there and can't find it, I came across it on twitter now I'm starting to doubt myself,

Twitter? The biggest source of lies on the Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Boateng for Boro? Kolo Toure? Both seemed to be around for donkeys years.

Great googling there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm looking for it there and can't find it, I came across it on twitter now I'm starting to doubt myself,

Sounds a bit silly, doesn't it? I had a brief look at the CL rules last night and I certainly couldn't find it.

• Advertisement

Ah, 'somewhere on twitter', I would start to doubt it too.

It would be a mad rule if true. Liverpool are going strong this year and may still get far in the CL despite the current Atletico deficit, but imagine if Liverpool had completely fallen off at the start of this season and went out in the group stages. It wouldn't seem right to award it to 'the previous winners' in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Parking the idea of whether football without fans actually matters, there's some huge decisions that need to be taken and soon. We are all aware of the public health perspective so I don't need to mention it but the conversation on Twitter has moved towards income loss and it is an interesting one.

Big PL teams are fine - match day revenues don't matter much in the grand scheme of it (vs tv money for example) but mid level football league clubs would go under if you just removed half a dozen home games from them between now and May (presuming it's resolved by the start of next season, that is. If it went on longer, even bigger clubs could go under too)

But then you've got the competition side of things. Say they parked it now and decided to start again in August, who do you relegate or promote? Nobody? Okay, good luck with the lawsuits from Leeds, West Brom, etc who would have a very valid argument to make that they were deprived of a legitimate chance of promotion (same further down the leagues too, I'm sure)

That's before you even factor in Liverpool and the title, the Champions League race (both this seasons competition and the battle for the top four for next season) and so on.

You'd be talking massive potential suits there in many instances. And while I'm sure the FA, football league and Premier league could all point to a government directive if one is issued, if it isn't, there'd be a huge blowback.

For me, the logical decision is to play behind closed doors to prevent spread but to also see out competitions. And then hold off starting new ones until the situation is safe after the fact. Of course it's not ideal but the alternative strikes me as a major mess.

Precautions need to be taken to protect playing and coaching staff, but that's the same as any other workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Can’t imagine united being happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can’t imagine united being happy with that

I think they'd (fans anyway maybe not the owners) happily settle for the Europa if it meant an aestrix could go beside the Liverpool title triumph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think they'd (fans anyway maybe not the owners) happily settle for the Europa if it meant an aestrix could go beside the Liverpool title triumph.

The premier league will want a winner, it cheapens there competition if they don't have one and makes the last 9months pointless ,

I reckon they will do everything in there power to make sure the league continues until Liverpool win it, Even play behind closed doors,

As I said yesterday there issues come from teams in relegation zone or champions league places as none of those will be done till the last couple of weeks, It also huge money being won or lost for those teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No title for Liverpool and no promotion for Leeds... I'd make peace with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

2 more games and it could be finished. There would be no need for any asterix as every game could be defaulted with Liverpool losing 3-0 and they would still end up as Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

And Fulham also defaulting into the auto promotion spots, somehow. I dont care who goes down in return. Any team will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Surely they will have to ban spitting on the pitch since handshakes were banned?

Absolutely.... Fvcking disgusting. Cameras cut to Meers last night after one of the Leicester goals, and he was blowing his snottery nose out into thin air FFS....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Footballers talking to each other through their hands were well ahead of the curve in preventing the spread of viruses they deserve so much credit for being role models.

Absolutely.... Fvcking disgusting. Cameras cut to Meers last night after one of the Leicester goals, and he was blowing his snottery nose out into thin air FFS....

If he was at least a metre away from another player when he did it and didn`t shake hands with anyone afterwards presumably it`s OK.:rolleyes:

What difference will Asterix make?;)
    latest?cb=20130921200635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What difference will Asterix make?;)
    latest?cb=20130921200635

Jesus that's some blast from the past

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any proper fan would rather CL.

Any proper fan would rather CL.

Fans be fans though. I don't begrudge anybody's agenda. The big plus about qualifying for the CL is that it means you don't qualify for Europa as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All about the revenue, eh Gary :rolleyes:

• So they should play them anyway? **** the clubs that need to take out loans to play behind closed doors and they should suck it up?

It's an interesting topic now.

Only took Italian League a few weeks to be completely postponed.

So they should play them anyway? **** the clubs that need to take out loans to play behind closed doors and they should suck it up?

It's an interesting topic now.

Only took Italian League a few weeks to be completely postponed.

Gary talking about the lower cubs that live and die on there math day revenue,

Italy is way worse than anywhere in the rest of Europe ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a topic that has it's own thread for those with eyes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Pretty nailed on now that some sort of season postponement, suspension will take place, and probably within a week or so. Just a matter of seeing what they decide to do with the outstanding games then in the various competitions.

• Italy were in the same position as Ireland and England are now only a few weeks ago.

wonder what would happen if a player refused to play. I'm considering not coming into work not necessarily because I'm afraid but there's better things I could be doing and this looks like a handy excuse.

• Advertisement

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    wonder what would happen if a player refused to play. I'm considering not coming into work not necessarily because I'm afraid but there's better things I could be doing and this looks like a handy excuse.

New Doom game is out soon so I suspect that's your reason :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pep talking today about it and saying that teams play for the benefit of fans and without them there's not much point in playing.

New Doom game is out soon so I suspect that's your reason :pac:

It had crossed my mind

• Pep talking today about it and saying that teams play for the benefit of fans and without them there's not much point in playing.

Definitely a Man City fan joke in there somewhere

eigrod wrote: »
    Pretty nailed on now that some sort of season postponement, suspension will take place, and probably within a week or so. Just a matter of seeing what they decide to do with the outstanding games then in the various competitions.

Unless the positive virus cases escalate dramatically I still think the PL will continue but with games behind closed doors as I think will the CL and EL. The lower leagues might be suspended for a few weeks or until the situation becomes clearer.
    This is off topic for this thread but the Notts Forest owner has tested positive for the virus and it seems he was present at their match against Millwall at the weekend. Worth watching to see if their fans will be allowed to travel to their next scheduled game against Sheffield Wednesday next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What happened during the bird flu pandemic a decade ago were events postponed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pep talking today about it and saying that teams play for the benefit of fans and without them there's not much point in playing.

The vast majority of fans aren't in the ground

Probably doesn't apply to City as much!

Italy were in the same position as Ireland and England are now only a few weeks ago.

Yip, in our work we're expecting those who can to work from home from a period of a couple of weeks to a couple of months. We're also looking into the possibility of having to close for a couple of weeks.

Everyone will be on full pay unless they travel to a known Covid19 hotspot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What happened during the bird flu pandemic a decade ago were events postponed?

The bird flu pandemic was like the SARS and Ebola epidemic. It never really affected the West. This is orders of magnitude different to those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Unless the positive virus cases escalate dramatically I still think the PL will continue but with games behind closed doors as I think will the CL and EL. The lower leagues might be suspended for a few weeks or until the situation becomes clearer.

I was of that mind too until the last couple of days. Now I think that a suspension is more likely as there’s going to be a player or coach or youth player contract it and everything changes then (board members already with it). It’s going to be too much of a job keeping players isolated - they have kids who go to school, partners, family etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm amazed games have are not going behind closed doors yet in England.

Way too slow to respond to this.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed games have are not going behind closed doors yet in England.

Way too slow to respond to this.

I suspect there trying to get close to the end season as possible its huge money in England,

Its hard for us imagine but every City and big town in England will be hugely effected with no fans at games,

The longer they hold out without closed door games the better,

Think of all the clubs in England and all the match day revenue that brings in to towns and cities , Even the trains company's , Hotels and so on ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I suspect there trying to get close to the end season as possible its huge money in England,

Its hard for us imagine but every City and big town in England will be hugely effected with no fans at games,

Think of all the clubs in England and all the match day revenue that brings in to towns and cities , Even the trains company's , Hotels and so on ,

I appreciate that but we have think long term too.

I would also lose out as I was meant go to Slovakia for playoff but I accept it's the right decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Premier League games will be more likely to go ahead behind closed doors for a few weeks at least IMO, if it gets to that stage, which is probably a few weeks away aswell. Premier League teams rely on TV money to survive more than anything. Ask Bournemouth would they rather play 3 home game with no fans or have 3 less games on TV and I'm sure they will pick the empty stadium. The TV companies pay massive money for the right to show the games, so will be fighting their corner in terms of getting the games shown live on their network.

I think we are a long way away from games being suspended.

Lower down the leagues, and other countries like our own, clubs heavily rely more on matchday revenue over TV money deals. These clubs will be affected more by games being played behind closed doors. Clubs down the leagues are well used to games being called off last minute to be fair, with pitches regularly flooded etc. That never really happens in the Premier League but their games are postponed for the safety of fans more than anything.

Think of all the PL grounds that have a lot of businesses around the grounds such as pubs, shops, food stalls, foodbanks, vendors selling scarves. All of these people will miss out on livelyhoods and depending on the size of the footfall that is reduced, could really suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I dont think the PL will go ahead behind closed doors.
    La Liga players union want league suspended. I think so will PL players as well.

I want to see Liverpool win the league but with how bad things are getting it is not really the time to be handing out titles.

I do hope they come up with a way to finish the season whenever possible.
    Because there is a good chance this will take 3-6 months to settle down. No one knows where this is going anything could happen.

I think this weekend will be the last PL games for at least 2 months maybe more.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I dont think the PL will go ahead behind closed doors.
    La Liga players union want league suspended. I think so will PL players as well.

I want to see Liverpool win the league but with how bad things are getting it is not really the time to be handing out titles.

I do hope they come up with a way to finish the season whenever possible.
    Because there is a good chance this will take 3-6 months to settle down. No one knows where this is going anything could happen.

I think this weekend will be the last PL games for at least 2 months maybe more.

They will paly until at least up to the break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I think the should cancel the league it and give the title to City since they are the current champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think the should cancel the league it and give the title to City since they are the current champions.

They'll organise to finish it online,each team nominate their best FIFA players and away they go.

Yeah and all the opportunities for the virus to spread from person to person virtually unchecked in those conditions. Games in the UK will go behind closed doors or be postponed this season. It`s just a question of when exactly it happens.

They will paly until at least up to the break

Yes, I expect that is what will happen if the virus spread greatly increases. Carry on as normal until the international break and then either suspend the season or ban fans from going to games.

I appreciate that but we have think long term too.

I would also lose out as I was meant go to Slovakia for playoff but I accept it's the right decision

You will have the price of your match ticket refunded at least. Accomodation and travel costs are a different matter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement