Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Arsenal :- The 14-day period ends on Friday and Arsenal said they were "looking forward" to the players returning to work before their Premier League game at Brighton on Saturday, 14 March.

But they played on Saturday gone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

FitzShane wrote: »
    The last thing to stop football going ahead in England was a World War.

Many would say that there is a world war against this ****ing virus ongoing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Was the case confirmed then?

I wonder what take priority , You'd have to think the league over Euro's or Champions league

Premier league itself will want a winner,

UEFA would state the Euro 2020 tournament and the CL and EL would take precedence. The national associations would claim their own competitions should.

No not until yesterday.

No but why would there isolation period of two weeks be up when they where not isolated 4 days ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

No but why would there isolation period of two weeks be up when they where not isolated 4 days ago ?

Its measured from olympiacas game I presume, so yes.

Yes they did and played Portsmouth in the FA Cup last week too. But that is not the issue here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

14 days since they were in contact with a confirmed case. They didn't know they'd been in contact for the first 10 days, so they go into isolation for the last 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It would be a lot easier to finish the season with the current positions, but there are too many things to be settled such as promotion/relegation and the European spots to finalize.

EDIT:

Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It would be a lot easier to finish the season with the current positions, but there are too many things to be settled such as promotion/relegation and the European spots to finalize.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The cynic in me says Guardiola wants to games tp be postponed so. that he can later complain about a fixture pile-up and that being the reason why his side will (likely) lose the title. He's got his wish anyway.

I also G Nev has been whingeing about games behind closed doors as it affects clubs matchday revenue. Maybe in the lower leagues that is true but in the EPL, especially the small clubs, a tiny percentage of turnover comes from ticket sales.

I also expect to see a load of people complaining about how football will be boring without the crowd. It'll be easier to identify who are the people who actually enjoy football and appreciate as opposed to the event junkies and glory-hunters.

Klopp did make a good point that postponing games may not make much lf a difference as people are liable to meet up in gafs or pubs to watch the games instead.

The cynic in me says Guardiola wants to games tp be postponed so. that he can later complain about a fixture pile-up and that being the reason why his side will (likely) lose the title. He's got his wish anyway.

I also G Nev has been whingeing about games behind closed doors as it affects clubs matchday revenue. Maybe in the lower leagues that is true but in the EPL, especially the small clubs, a tiny percentage of turnover comes from ticket sales.

I also expect to see a load of people complaining about how football will be boring without the crowd. It'll be easier to identify who are the people who actually enjoy football and appreciate as opposed to the event junkies and glory-hunters.

Klopp did make a good point that postponing games may not make much lf a difference as people are liable to meet up in gafs or pubs to watch the games instead.

Pep wants it cancelled is not surprising ( city don't lose title)
    Klopp want it t continue not surprising ( Liverpool win title )

More interested in what mangers from the other sides think , Like United ,Wolves and so on ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’d say Palace on the 21st will be our last chance to win it, assuming City don’t drop points against Burnley.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’d say Palace on the 21st will be our last chance to win it, assuming City don’t drop points against Burnley.

Whatever else may happen I would say it`s reasonably certain that it will be the last one with fans in Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Pep wants it cancelled is not surprising ( city don't lose title)
    Klopp want it t continue not surprising ( Liverpool win title )

More interested in what mangers from the other sides think , Like United ,Wolves and so on ,

Those in 3, 4,5 will want it cancelled. Those in 6,7,8 will want to continue. Bottom 3 will want it to continue. Others will want it cancelled. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

People who want it cancelled probably dont realise things go way worse in August.

Every chance this will stop football for a year until a vaccine is out.

Those in 3, 4,5 will want it cancelled. Those in 6,7,8 will want to continue. Bottom 3 will want it to continue. Others will want it cancelled. Simples

Bottom 3 will want it cancelled the Italian way - with no relegation (as per my understanding).

They have just announced that Liverpool have been crowned champions, with United relegated.

• Advertisement

Bottom 3 will want it cancelled the Italian way - with no relegation (as per my understanding).

Any idea what the done about Champions and European qualifications

ebbsy wrote: »
    They have just announced that Liverpool have been crowned champions, with United relegated.

You forgot to relay Man city banned for 100 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No decisions like that have been made in Italy according to OTB last night. At this moment in time they still plan to finish the season. They've another meeting Thursday or Friday.

No decisions like that have been made in Italy according to OTB last night. At this moment in time they still plan to finish the season. They've another meeting Thursday or Friday.

I do hope I picked that up wrong. Sets a dangerous precedent.

I would bet if it comes down to it the Italian league will be curtailed and the current positions will be the final ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I’d say cancel it myself

Why cancel it? It'll go behind closed doors first and that's still likely a few weeks away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Why not ? Liverpool have won the league so may as well wrap it up rather than putting players and staff at risk
    Fa will likely not bother doing it because it’s all about the money and tv rights

Liverpool haven't won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have tickets for the Palace game so selfishly hoping that goes ahead with fans

Having said that, getting over the line behind closed doors is still 100x better than postponing games and dragging it out for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why not ? Liverpool have won the league so may as well wrap it up rather than putting players and staff at risk
    Fa will likely not bother doing it because it’s all about the money and tv rights

But you can't just say Chelsea and Leicester get CL when United, Wolves and SU are all close to fourth. Same with relegation, it's not right that Villa and Bournemouth go down with games to spare.

MD1990 wrote: »
    People who want it cancelled probably dont realise things go way worse in August.

Every chance this will stop football for a year until a vaccine is out.

At this stage any claims like that are speculation. Nobody knows for sure what is going to happen.

ebbsy wrote: »

Yep and with Man City`s 4 PL titles since 2012 stripped from them and 2 each awarded to Utd and Liverpool. Mind you that one could turn out to be true.

• Advertisement

Mathematically they haven`t yet.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    But you can't just say Chelsea and Leicester get CL when United, Wolves and SU are all close to fourth. Same with relegation, it's not right that Villa and Bournemouth go down with games to spare.

Norwich are not mathematically relegated yet either and there are still 14 clubs that have a plausible chance of finishing in the CL and EL qualification places. Some very big decisions to be made by the PL and very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Another super sunday this weekend. Real pressure on Jose now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Super Sunday must be the biggest misnomer when it comes to the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Super Sunday must be the biggest misnomer when it comes to the Premier League.

Red Monday

:shudders:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I ref tag rugby and the two bottom teams compete for the 'super' bowl.

I put the same emphasis on sky sports 'super' Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Well for me i love the big games on a sunday. Super sunday just rolls off the tongue. Utd city lived up to it last sunday, hopefully utd spurs does the same this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MD1990 wrote: »
    7/7 teams through in Europe.

4/4 Euro finalists. No one is drinking kool aid the PL is currently stronger than any other league.

Tell me how all those teams go through if the league is weak?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/InfogolApp/status/1237869340244017152

Atletico had Oblak & lots of luck to get through.

Fluky goal in 1st game as well. You do need luck in Cup competitions tbf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

They still haven't won a CL? So my point still stands.

Remind me to quote this if they fail again and it will make you look very stupid.

They still haven't won a CL? So my point still stands.

Remind me to quote this if they fail again and it will make you look very stupid.

Not winning a CL has nothing to do with it. I was asked who I thought "was the best team in January" (click the link I provided above which contains the question). I answered my opinion that it was PSG and was ridiculed for it by yourself as you twerked for thanks. Hope you enjoyed the result tonight.

Premier League are gonna play out the season, playing all games behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Think it's the right call. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope they also ram home to the players not to shake hands after the final whistle. Couldn't believe how many were doing that at the weekend.

Games not to be shown in pubs apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Games not to be shown in pubs apparently.

even the scheduled broadcasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What happened to the greatest ever team yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What happened to the greatest ever team yesterday?

Ack come on, you do know they were taking the hand? Nobody ever thought that ****e? Did they? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement