Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liamalone wrote: »
    Ack come on, you do know they were taking the hand? Nobody ever thought that ****e? Did they? :D

I'm not joking but they honestly did, there's stats and figures to 'PROVE' that they were the best ever team in the month of February that has ever existed.

• Liamalone wrote: »
    Ack come on, you do know they were taking the hand? Nobody ever thought that ****e? Did they? :D

Yes they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Last night doesn't change my opinion about how good I think this Liverpool team is

Opposite actually, I think that was arguably the best performance this year...best since Leicester in December probably.

Simeone's Atletico are one of the best defensive sides in world football and Liverpool had 35 shots against them. It wasn't like the first leg at all where Liverpool struggled to create, we created A LOT of chances last night. Atleti couldn't deal with it and the goalkeeper and poor finishing bailed them out in the 90mins. Liverpool also hit the woodwork 3...maybe 4 times?

Most dominant performance at Anfield in a long time and against a serious opposition. I don't think Atletico are going to win it this season, their luck will run out by the semi final I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lots of people absolutely felt like they were in the conversation. They were diminishing Arsenal's invincibles (Lots of draws!), United's treble winners who didnt lose a game in any comp from December (point total!), United's late 2000s double winners, 3peat winners and 3 time CL finalists in 4 years.

And the thing is, you wouldnt even mind the conversations if they were had at the appropriate time, when the season was over and they had won leagues. It wasnt all fans either, but a decent number on here and the most of the rest didnt bother to call them on it. So they can take their slagging now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Having a great laugh at some of the posters in here. Only glee from their season is to see Liverpool lose a game :)
    Won 2 trophies this year, PL on the way, and somehow we get the slagging? Long may it continue :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Having a great laugh at some of the posters in here. Only glee from their season is to see Liverpool lose a game :)
    Won 2 trophies this year, PL on the way, and somehow we get the slagging? Long may it continue :D

Yes mate, this is how sports works. Please keep up and shake the salt out of your undies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes mate, this is how sports works. Please keep up and shake the salt out of your undies.
    If that's how sport works, why so salty about the comments in the first place? Check the mirror, your undies are riding a bit tight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Until the league season gets cancelled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If the derby is behind closed doors, and I believe it will be, Liverpool will smash Evrrton with no crowd behind them.

It could be a cricket score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can't see it finishing. Only a matter of time before someone at one of the clubs gets it, and that will be the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

jester77 wrote: »
    Can't see it finishing. Only a matter of time before someone at one of the clubs gets it, and that will be the end of the season.

It'll finish - there's too much money at stake for it not too. Imagine the court cases if they just called it now. There'd be murder over promotion and relegation alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It'll finish - there's too much money at stake for it not too. Imagine the court cases if they just called it now. There'd be murder over promotion and relegation alone.

NBA season has been called off. Anyone who thinks the PL season will be completed is in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It will be carnage.

jester77 wrote: »

Yeah I think Trump ramped it up this morning. Going to be massive disruption now for the foreseeable across all aspects of society.

Unfortunate for people with tickets to games remaining, know a few Leeds fans and Liverpool fans who have tickets to games that virus aside would have been massive for them to get to.

Football behind closed doors is going to be so weird.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    NBA season has been called off. Anyone who thinks the PL season will be completed is in denial.

It does look this alright. Can't see it finishing on time anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No the NBA has been suspended until further notice. They haven't called off the season, they've said they will then decide on the next steps during the break which I assume is either decide on when to finish the season or whether to cancel the remaining games.

Reckon Euro 2020 will be be gone to make way for leagues to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah I think Trump ramped it up this morning. Going to be massive disruption now for the foreseeable across all aspects of society.

Unfortunate for people with tickets to games remaining, know a few Leeds fans and Liverpool fans who have tickets to games that virus aside would have been massive for them to get to.

Football behind closed doors is going to be so weird.

Yeah, was watching some of the PSG-Dortmund game and it was absolutely soulless. Lack of atmosphere totally kills it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes they did

Saw the news earlier, get well soon Otis Agreeable Axe :(

There's no promotion or relegation in the NBA. If anyone thinks that the Championship clubs wouldn't go to war for the hundreds of millions that the Premier League is worth, they're in denial.

The Euros will go - especially with it being cross continent but the Premier League and Championship will finish up - even if it's in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not winning a CL has nothing to do with it. I was asked who I thought "was the best team in January" (click the link I provided above which contains the question). I answered my opinion that it was PSG and was ridiculed for it by yourself as you twerked for thanks. Hope you enjoyed the result tonight.

"Ridiculed" by thinking PSG will crumble as usual?

Why would I enjoy the result? I didn't take those comments to heart like you did.

The best team in Europe in January was Liverpool. Statistically and pretty much across all criteria

Twerking for thanks haha. Ok

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Saw the news earlier, get well soon Otis Agreeable Axe :(

giphy.gif

• @ Liamalone

Best Enjoyed with Coffee

Again stand by my quotes and stand by our performance last night as the best of the year so far and that's from a team kilometres ahead in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Internationals are finished cant let that amount of transport happen. So scrap the coming up international break.

At best to get the relegation sorted if the ramp up these last 8 matches to a saturday/wednesay behind closed doors they might get to 38 games played. Or just do that until relegation is sorted then pull the plug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ebbsy wrote: »
    If the derby is behind closed doors, and I believe it will be, Liverpool will smash Evrrton with no crowd behind them.

It could be a cricket score.

I doubt it very much but even a scrappy 1-0 win would do.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Internationals are finished cant let that amount of transport happen. So scrap the coming up international break.

At best to get the relegation sorted if the ramp up these last 8 matches to a saturday/wednesay behind closed doors they might get to 38 games played. Or just do that until relegation is sorted then pull the plug.

Yes but as other posters have stated what happens when a player gets the virus and his teammates have to go into isolation. The season will be suspended. It`s just a question of when it happens.

Reckon Euro 2020 will be be gone to make way for leagues to finish.

At this point UEFA still intend to go ahead with the playoffs behind closed doors. I imagine they will be forced to be called off altogether very soon.

Times saying the leagues will all be played to a finish but move behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liverpool played unreal last night but Adrian single handily changed the tie, i always feel he is an accident waiting to happen , Southampton , Brighton , Chelsea, Madrid and he got away with some other ones,

Once that goal goes in it changed everything, It was a simple kick and even after that the shot was not great and should have been saved , Looked like he slipped,

Is it that hard to find a second keeper who isn't world class but doesn't make school boy mistakes ?

Id say the outfield players where broken by it , they ran there hearts out to get the two goal and then in 5 second Adrian undoes it all ,

To be fair getting to a 3rd cup final in a row would have been very unlikely shows how could that Madrid side where that won 3 on the bounce,

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm not joking but they honestly did, there's stats and figures to 'PROVE' that they were the best ever team in the month of February that has ever existed.

Lets be fair in February they where still in all the major cup competitions and had drawn one game al season in the Prem ,
    So you'd be a loon NOT to think they had a shout of being one of the great teams ,

Remember every single team that has gone on to be great would have been looked at the same time of the season and people would think they have a chance,

Last night for example they where brilliant playing like champion of Europe but one poor kick under no pressure from the sub keeper and its gone ,
    These are extremely fine margins,

Example United treble team where just a domestic double team, with one of the lowest league winning totals ever , They where 1-0 down and outplayed after 91 minutes of there European cup final and then it all changed in 2 minutes to greatest ever team and treble winners ,

These are extremely fine margins ,hard to ridicule people making predictions when the slightest thing changes them so drastically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

People on both sides of the Liverpool / Manchester divide are too quick to judge (both ways).

Liverpool are still a great team imo. Their trophy haul wont be as impressive as it was looking like it was going to be.

Manchester are a decent team at the mo imo. Their season will be better than was expected earlier this year.

MU fans taking shots at Liverpool fans and vice versa in here is tiresome. Its not all of the fans of those clubs who do it, but when it happens its hugely boring.

8-10 wrote: »
    Again stand by my quotes and stand by our performance last night as the best of the year so far and that's from a team kilometres ahead in the league

Given the weakness of their top flight this season, it was good for English football to see their best flub go down fighting. Some of the other representatives are being sent packing with barely a whimper.

Given the weakness of their top flight this season, it was good for English football to see their best flub go down fighting. Some of the other representatives are being sent packing with barely a whimper.

I still think City have a great chance of winning the whole thing and there 21 points behind 1st place
    Liverpool where very unlucky , Spurs and Chelsea for different reason's are in the worst shape in years ,

Could still be an all English Europa league final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool played unreal last night but Adrian single handily changed the tie, i always feel he is an accident waiting to happen , Southampton , Brighton , Chelsea, Madrid and he got away with some other ones,

Once that goal goes in it changed everything, It was a simple kick and even after that the shot was not great and should have been saved , Looked like he slipped,

Is it that hard to find a second keeper who isn't world class but doesn't make school boy mistakes ?

Id say the outfield players where broken by it , they ran there hearts out to get the two goal and then in 5 second Adrian undoes it all ,

To be fair getting to a 3rd cup final in a row would have been very unlikely shows how could that Madrid side where that won 3 on the bounce,

Liverpool were very lucky with injuries this year, none of their major players got injuries like all the other top clubs. Sorry that replacing one of the worlds most expensive keepers isnt easy but that's life.

• Advertisement

If they are in any way decent and not prone to a clanger, i dont think they would be a backup keeper - Id think they would be a starter somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lets be fair in February they where still in all the major cup competitions and had drawn one game al season in the Prem ,
    So you'd be a loon NOT to think they had a shout of being one of the great teams ,

Remember every single team that has gone on to be great would have been looked at the same time of the season and people would think they have a chance,

Last night for example they where brilliant playing like champion of Europe but one poor kick under no pressure from the sub keeper and its gone ,
    These are extremely fine margins,

Example United treble team where just a domestic double team, with one of the lowest league winning totals ever , They where 1-0 down and outplayed after 91 minutes of there European cup final and then it all changed in 2 minutes to greatest ever team and treble winners ,

These are extremely fine margins ,hard to ridicule people making predictions when the slightest thing changes them so drastically

Definitely wouldn't blame anyone for getting their hopes up, but they should have remembered... it was still only February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool were very lucky with injuries this year, none of their major players got injuries like all the other top clubs. Sorry that replacing one of the worlds most expensive keepers isnt easy but that's life.

Well that's just not true.

Not surprising that you're coming out with this again though. Nice try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://www.buzz.ie/football/roy-keane-jamie-carragher-unitedliverpool-355852

Looks like keane wont be making too many changes to his team now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Liverpool were very lucky with injuries & none of their major players got injuries like other top clubs. The next sentence talks about one of the most expensive keepers in the world getting injured....do people read what they write before replying? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Doesn't matter how you win them, 2 more wins and it's done , who remembers who was injured for city when they got their 100 point total.
    No one because no one cares all that matters is they won it with a record points haul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

League to be suspended indefinitely. An announcement in the next 24 hrs. Guess that's it. What a disaster for Liverpool, Leeds etc

Sauce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

UrbanFret wrote: »
    League to be suspended indefinitely. An announcement in the next 24 hrs. Guess that's it. What a disaster for Liverpool, Leeds etc

It will be suspended soon.

But the leagues will have to be finished just replace pre season with competitive PL games.

If the suspension is longer than 60 days that's it I believe. It has to be scrapped. There is a meeting this afternoon between the premier League clubs.most want a suspension. Obviously liverpool dont. Villa and Norwich have already said they will refuse to play in empty stadiums. Utd,City,Etc are for suspension.

The irony is the champions League would be awarded to the reigning champions even though they are out. Mind boggling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The irony is the champions League would be awarded to the reigning champions even though they are out. Mind boggling.

No. It. Wouldn't.

Poor Sheffield United game in hand to get into the Champions league positions and the league could be annulled ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Where did you see that find it hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Poor Sheffield United game in hand to get into the Champions league positions and the league could be annulled ,

After what happened them last time too with West Ham staying up and Sheffield United getting relegated.

All the European leagues are suspending their leagues for 2 weeks, not cancelling, so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement