Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cancel the cup games,
    Play all the Prem games in nearly one month in April or May
    Saturday , Wednesday,
    Saturday ,Wednesday ,
    Saturday,Wednesday
    Saturday ,Wednesday
    Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51853524

La Liga suspended and Real Madrid on quarantine, I’d say the EPL games are as good as finished this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51853524

La Liga cancelled and Real Madrid on quarantine, I’d say the EPL games are as good as finished this season

La Liga Suspended says it in the headline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

mightyreds wrote: »
    Where did you see that find it hard to believe

On the cafe. I had a peek through uefas regs can't see anything that would confirm this.

La Liga Suspended says it in the headline

It’s not starting back anytime over the next 2 months. This is not something that will be fine in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

UrbanFret wrote: »
    On the cafe. I had a peek through uefas regs can't see anything that would confirm this.

I'd say it's more the previous winners keep the trophy, but no winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If they return positive then I can't see any more games being played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Season will be suspended at a minimum (if not cancelled) if they are positive. Even if not only a matter of days before other players test positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

It’s not starting back anytime over the next 2 months. This is not something that will be fine in a few weeks

At least don't misquote the headline you're linking to despite your own prediction on what the outcome will be

Honestly, wouldn't have killed you to accurately quote it and just say 'suspended' and follow up with stating you think it will be cancelled

It's like boards clickbait

x43r0 wrote: »
    At least don't misquote the headline you're linking to despite your own prediction on what the outcome will be

Honestly, wouldn't have killed you to accurately quote it and just say 'suspended' and follow up with stating you think it will be cancelled

It's like boards clickbait

I Wasn’t intending it to be misinterpreted, just posted it up, I’ve amended it now.

I don’t do click bait, my posting history proves that, let’s move on and not make an opera about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

With the Winter world cup around the corner maybe the leagues in Europe can resume play in a month or so and have later kick off for the new season , It'll help people get used to it for the World cup in 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It sounds like UEFA are moving the Euros to 2021 and the major European leagues will finish their current seasons this summer, assuming the pandemic is over in 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I Wasn’t intending it to be misinterpreted, just posted it up, I’ve amended it now.

I don’t do click bait, my posting history proves that, let’s move on and not make an opera about this.

Thanks for clarifying and apologies for the mini-rant

No bother. I prob should of just corrected it and said nothing, I think we can all be forgiven for being a little on edge these days . . :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No bother, I think we can all be forgiven for being a little on edge these days . . :(

We need more dog pics from you and Niallo during these times

No bother. I prob should of just corrected it and said nothing, I think we can all be forgiven for being a little on edge these days . . :(

Lads - this is not how the internet works - now cop on! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

If this season is cancelled Sky, BT and Amazon will want and extension to there contracts for one more season at no extra cost to them and I can't see the premier league wanting to do that and lose out on a full season of tv money.

We need more dog pics from you and Niallo during these times

Monty is loving this shutdown.......

A9619-B9-C-1543-4-EB2-B455-79392-EF1180-A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Excellent. Who needs football when there are dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was he just in from school? Love his bag!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Utd on some form going into the weekend game with spurs (if it goes ahead)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If this season is cancelled Sky, BT and Amazon will want and extension to there contracts for one more season at no extra cost to them and I can't see the premier league wanting to do that and lose out on a full season of tv money.

If the season gets cancelled Sky and BT will lose subscriptions left, right and center. Nobody is going to pay for subscription sport channels when there's no sport. Almost every league outside the UK, basketball, tennis, rugby have all being suspended and it looks like European competitions will be next week. The PL is the only one standing.

If the season gets cancelled Sky and BT will lose subscriptions left, right and center. Nobody is going to pay for subscription sport channels when there's no sport. Almost every league outside the UK, basketball, tennis, rugby have all being suspended and it looks like European competitions will be next week. The PL is the only one standing.

Said exactly this to the wife today. Chances are I'll be calling next week anyway if it stays this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Working from home next few weeks so loads of time with these guys.

505387.jpg

• 9/10 on the awesome scale

If only they had two Utd jerseys on them they would be 10/10 awesome

• Do kitty cats count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

niallo27 wrote: »
    Working from home next few weeks so loads of time with these guys.

I did a week from home a couple of months ago. First couple of days were great working away at kitchen table with dog at feet. By Thursday though you start to think “At least when the smelly ****er beside me in the office farts he’s not directly underneath me and he doesn’t look proudly at you wagging his tail wafting the smell and expecting a treat for it”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mendy self isolating now due to family member displaying symptoms of the virus.

The PL will have to suspend league by tomorrow evening.

There are far more cases in th UK than being reported officially. McLaren F1 team member has it too, so has to within the wider UK population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah Man City V Arsenal was postponed midweek as a precautionary measure. So why would any games go ahead this weekend, with the likes of Leicester City self-isolating three players showing symptoms. Should just follow on with the rest of Europe and suspend the games until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Do kitty cats count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ahh damned YT link

https://youtu.be/6MzKX0ASS3I

All Premier League games are going ahead as planned this weekend.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238216168755863563?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

FitzShane wrote: »
    All Premier League games are going ahead as planned this weekend.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238216168755863563?s=19

Ridiculous decision

Imo this looks like it's being forced by the TV companies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah Man City V Arsenal was postponed midweek as a precautionary measure. So why would any games go ahead this weekend, with the likes of Leicester City self-isolating three players showing symptoms. Should just follow on with the rest of Europe and suspend the games until further notice.

Reckon they'll let it limp along to the international break, which buys them a few weeks to figure out what to do.

Assuming things dont radically improve in that time, I presume they'll suspend the rest of the games until closer to the summer, and play them out when the Euros would have taken place.

Also gives them some license to do something interesting with it at that stage... like a sped up tournament style format where they blast through a rake of games in short order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mendy has been self isolated at City for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mikel Arteta has tested positive for the coronavirus now.

Yeah these games can’t go ahead now. Should be suspended now until further notice.

• Advertisement

3 week suspension of the league is needed now really.

Extend the league season and play off the remaining games quickly once teams can prove they are 'clean' behind closed doors later on in the year. If it means next season is a month later starting, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant go ahead now, foolish to even try..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’d imagine the Premier League knew about this Arteta thing beforehand. I mean their announcement was only 65 mins ago.

Arsenal first team can't play now as they'd have had close contact with him. Games need to be postponed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The people running the Premier League will push on with the games just to save face.

From this, the implementation of VAR, ridiculous TV deals, it is an absolute clown show of people who were in the right place at the right time in the 90s

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Arsenal first team can't play now as they'd have had close contact with him. Games need to be postponed now.

They wouldn’t have been the only ones that would have had close contact with him. Sure what about the West ham squad last week? David Moyes and his coaching staff as well. Ridiculous if games go ahead this weekend, after an actual manager has the virus.

• Advertisement

The people running the Premier League will push on with the games just to save face.

From this, the implementation of VAR, ridiculous TV deals, it is an absolute clown show of people who were in the right place at the right time in the 90s

Why are they trying to "save face" in a public health emergency with one of the teams in the league unable to field a first team. It's reckless in the extreme.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why are they trying to "save face" in a public health emergency with one of the teams in the league unable to field a first team. It's reckless in the extreme.

Same way Cheltenham wasnt cancelled...money.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238233442212622339?s=21

Emergency meeting in the morning. The league will be suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This will be epic if the season is voided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238233442212622339?s=21

Emergency meeting in the morning. The league will be suspended.

The Arsenal game tomorrow will be postponed. Maybe the Leicester one as well seeing as they have some players in isolation? The other ones will be played.

Until the UK government cancel mass gatherings (maybe they have already and I missed it?) the PL and other sporting events will continue.

Edit: damn thought today was Friday :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement