Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238233442212622339?s=21

Emergency meeting in the morning. The league will be suspended.

Probably just voided. They cant reschedule as they dont know when they can restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

This will be epic if the season is voided.

I know you dont want Liverpool to win.

But if that happens it will be far from epic. Would mean this pandemic gets really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cant just void the season. It would be farcical for the likes of Lfc and the teams battling for european places and relegation.

Also you have the championship teams battling for promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I mean they’re not even shutting down the schools so I suspect we are not going to see the response that one might expect after the announcement.

Premier League is a billion dollar industry so will probably only shut down games if they’re forced to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Arsenal game tomorrow will be postponed. Maybe the Leicester one as well seeing as they have some players in isolation? The other ones will be played.

Until the UK government cancel mass gatherings (maybe they have already and I missed it?) the PL and other sporting events will continue.

What? Surely not?! It’s time for them to stop their grandstanding and fall in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why are they trying to "save face" in a public health emergency with one of the teams in the league unable to field a first team. It's reckless in the extreme.

To them it will be saving face for normal people it's stupidity, just like their statement an hour ago (which has been deleted).

Trying to work out their logic is baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

MD1990 wrote: »
    I know you dont want Liverpool to win.

But if that happens it will be far from epic. Would mean this pandemic gets really bad.

What's a couple of million dead people once Liverpool don't win the league !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think we should have a poll :D

• ricero wrote: »
    Cant just void the season. It would be farcical for the likes of Lfc and the teams battling for european places and relegation.

Absolutely can

It's just a game of football

Peoples health comes first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1238233442212622339?s=21

Emergency meeting in the morning. The league will be suspended.

The naivety they have displayed so far means its probably a face to face meeting too

• Advertisement

• Boris and the rest of billy big balls UK putting Ireland and the EU at an even bigger risk with this sort of foolishness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mightyreds wrote: »
    What's a couple of million dead people once Liverpool don't win the league !

If I've learned anything reading the virus thread it's people's lack of epidemiological knowledge!

Absolutely can

It's just a game of football

Peoples health comes first

If you were anyone else I'd believe you were sincere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I reckon Arsenal asked for their game to be called off. Premier League said no, released their statement and Arsenal said screw them we'll press their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

This will be epic if the season is voided.

Wow imagine preferring a worldwide pandemic that threatens the lives of everybody you love as well as your financial future rather than see Liverpool lift the title. That’s the kind of hate that consumes your sole, a very deranged mentality.

I reckon Arsenal asked for their game to be called off. Premier League said no, released their statement and Arsenal said screw them we'll press their hand.

But you’d imagine Premier League wouldn’t have said no if the manager had coronavirus right? Because if we believe they said no to one game being off in that special situation, then the hope of them all being off is borderline non-existent until the government mandates it.

• If you were anyone else I'd believe you were sincere!!

I'd appreciate you didn't imply something sinister because I'm discussing peoples health and wellbeing

But Good man, keep he lit because you are triggered over the possibility of liverpool not winning the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

sideswipe wrote: »
    Wow imagine preferring a worldwide pandemic that threatens the lives of everybody you love as well as your financial future rather than see Liverpool lift the title. That’s the kind of hate that consumes your sole, a very deranged mentality.

Haha. Not at all. Stop now. Nobody wants this. Nobody wants peoples futures to be ruined but if its gna happen it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Epl is about to come to a stop.

Perhaps next weekend?

• Advertisement

• NIMAN wrote: »
    Epl is about to come to a stop.

Perhaps next weekend?

Can't imagine this weekend now either surely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'd appreciate you didn't imply something sinister because I'm discussing peoples health and wellbeing

But Good man, keep he lit because you are triggered over the possibility of liverpool not winning the league

About as triggered as a lot of posters are of Liverpool not winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I want the league cancelled for purely selfish reasons :pac:

But it’ll be put off until May/June

• ShamoBuc wrote: »
    About as triggered as a lot of posters are of Liverpool not winning it.

The irony of point scoring over the same issue is amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CSF wrote: »
    But you’d imagine Premier League wouldn’t have said no if the manager had coronavirus right? Because if we believe they said no to one game being off in that special situation, then the hope of them all being off is borderline non-existent until the government mandates it.

It also just doesn't make any sense... if you force people to play who were in direct, immediate, and regular contact with someone who has the virus, you're basically guaranteeing its spread, and thus the choice being taken out of their hands.

If they really want to continue with the league, the first thing they'd have to do is limit exposure wherever possible to keep as many teams/players as fit as possible to actually play the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Euros in June, international have take precedence

• Advertisement

Reckon it will be played at a later date aswell. Wont really suit anyone, will be a bit of a nightmare in lots of ways, but it's for the best.

The British stuff upper lip, we shall not be moved spirit is real. I’m due to do Manchester marathon in a few weeks and they are hanging tough even though tens of thousands tuning throttle streets would add extra pressure to an already stretch health care system.
    There are 600 confirmed cases but it’s widely accepted that there is closer to 10,000 infected already, the cat is well out of the bag. They seem to be taking the approach of let it run its course and deal with the consequences i.e. fatalities of the old and vulnerable in order to protect normality and protect the economy.

ShamoBuc wrote:
    Reckon it will be played at a later date aswell. Wont really suit anyone, will be a bit of a nightmare in lots of ways, but it's for the best.

It's done

Season will be nu and void

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Would it not just make sense to cancel it and start again as normal in August from where everyone was last August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brinty wrote: »

Euros are almost certainly posponed until 2021, that's been the line from just about every journo out there.

Domestic leagues can just about limp along to a finish with a suspension, playing their games in 2 months or so. But a pan-European international tournament, with players and fans criss-crossing the whole bloody continent is completely off the table.

Logically, there's actually zero reason for the season to be voided... there's a handful of games left, and literally an eternity of time. Whenever football returns, be that in 3 months, or 3 years, they can carry on where they left off. The entire footballing calendar has to shift soon anyway to allow for a winter world cup, so it's not really gonna be a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ricero wrote: »

Yeah, it’s the promotion relegation stuff that is the issue. Liverpool being champions is the obvious outcome. But the clubs being forced to play in a division for another year when they thought they were going up is going to be mad complicated.

Ultimately, I reckon Euro 2020 won’t happen this year and the leagues will finish in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Maybe the PL were hoping to buy some time with the UEFA meeting on Tuesday.

If UEFA announced that EURO 2002 would become EURO 20321, it then gives them more breathing room around a suspension and delaying the league for a month. 4 week quarantine, like the rest of European countries every day life.

Get the league back up and running in April, May and June if needs be. Or even just play out the domestic leagues and European games first and leave the domestic cups til last.

if the euros is put back till next summer, i cant see too big of a window to get in finished in the summer, especially if players are training during all of this, they will need time off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s the promotion relegation stuff that is the issue. Liverpool being champions is the obvious outcome. But the clubs being forced to play in a division for another year when they thought they were going up is going to be mad complicated.

But why make it that complicated, just reset to start of season and start again no?

It's done

Season will be nu and void

nu eh? Ah well. I'll take your opinion for what it's worth.....

The gas thing is a cancelled season is potentially more damaging to United as another season without champions league is huge in terms of sponsorship and attracting players.

FitzShane wrote:
    Get the league back up and running in April, May and June if needs be. Or even just play out the domestic leagues and European games first and leave the domestic cups til last.

It's done

The players are also entitled to their summer holidays. They're have no time off, preseason straight after finishing the season. You've got to be joking.

Euros will be shoved to 2021 probably (they meet on Tuesday to discuss this) - consider this - the opening game takes place in Rome at the Stadio Olimpico . Do you fancy anyone will be there?

It's done

The players are also entitled to their summer holidays. They're have no time off, preseason straight after finishing the season. You've got to be joking.

They'll still get a couple of weeks and wont need much preseason training as the season went on much longer.
    Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Begin next season with the points teams are on now?

United could reel Pool in over 38 games with Ole at the wheel.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It's done

So you mean it will be like any other season with a international tournament during the summer?

Euros will be shoved to 2021 probably (they meet on Tuesday to discuss this) - consider this - the opening game takes place in Rome at the Stadio Olimpico . Do you fancy anyone will be there?

When the 2021 season has to move up to accommodate the early start of the 2021/22 season with the winter would cup.

Same issue, when do players get a break after the 2021 Euros.

Just think about it. Euros will be cancelled as well

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    They'll still get a couple of weeks and wont need much preseason training as the season went on much longer.
    Simples.

The worst that will happen is the rapacious ICC tours won't go ahead. No loss to anyone other than fans of bad football in horrid conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    But why make it that complicated, just reset to start of season and start again no?

Clubs being stuck in the same division for another year? Leeds having no Premier League money for another year?

The leagues will finish, but the Euros won’t happen this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Brighton v Arsenal first of many, officially postponed

Brighton v Arsenal first of many, officially postponed

Would you read the fact that has been postponed already before the meeting as them managing the narrative? I don’t see the league being suspended tomorrow.

The worst that will happen is the rapacious ICC tours won't go ahead. No loss to anyone other than fans of bad football in horrid conditions

No loss to anyone..

So the same fans who invest their money into a club like you aren't entitled to see their team in the flesh.

The teams who make a fortune of these trips will just cancel them. Good luck make up that income deficit

You really are living in a bubble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's done

If the UK goes to the last phase of the anti virus plan then all players will effectively be on enforced holidays anyway just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

CSF wrote: »
    Would you read the fact that has been postponed already before the meeting as them managing the narrative? I don’t see the league being suspended tomorrow.

Why not though? Would be a farce if the rest of the games go ahead.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote:

So why is there an emergency meeting in the morning..

Arteta and Mendy both dealing with isolation. They won't be last either. Every team will be affected at some stage soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement