Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why not though? Would be a farce if the rest of the games go ahead.

3 reasons really that I think this
    1) They’ve already showed they don’t want to
    2) The British government are not forcing them to, and this is a common trend throughout the country with the schools open etc.
    3) They’ve a lot of money on the line and I think this ties in with reason 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The teams that play in the ICC are not the type that need the money for the most part. Liverpool are not going away this summer. As for the residents of Boneidle Montana really who gives a feck, they can see them next year or the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If the UK goes to the last phase of the anti virus plan then all players will effectively be on enforced holidays anyway just like everyone else.

How is it a holiday, those that can will still train. I can work from home in my job so I'm still working. I'm not on holidays. Neither are these players

A holiday is time off. This is an exceptional circumstance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone who thinks they should go ahead with this weekend is not living in this world.

The English mindset at the top is mind boggling

The teams that play in the ICC are not the type that need the money for the most part. Liverpool are not going away this summer. As for the residents of Boneidle Montana really who gives a feck, they can see them next year or the year after.

Sure they don't need the money

And pigs can fly too

And I think the resident boneidle Montana do give a feck. They've paid a large sum of money to get these events to teams like Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid etc. They deserve the right to see those games played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Would it not just make sense to cancel it and start again as normal in August from where everyone was last August?
    hetuzozaho wrote: »
    But why make it that complicated, just reset to start of season and start again no?

Isn’t that the same thing as voiding the season or what are you saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

brinty wrote: »
    Sure they don't need the money

And pigs can fly too

And I think the resident boneidle Montana do give a feck. They've paid a large sum of money to get these events to teams like Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid etc. They deserve the right to see those games played

That money pales in comparison to the money the broadcasters have paid for the PL rights. The league won't be cancelled because of that money from Sky and BT. It will be postponed for a while and finish during the summer time.

TitianGerm wrote:
    That money pales in comparison to the money the broadcasters have paid for the PL rights. The league won't be cancelled because of that money from Sky and BT. It will be postponed for a while and finish during the summer time.

Sure it does. Doesn't change the facts that v those places have paid for an event and are entitled to see it.

And when do players get their holidays. They're entitled to them too.

I mean everyone seems to have no issue with this bar one set of supporters. Why is that?

Is this that much more important than people lives and players welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Nunu wrote: »
    Isn’t that the same thing as voiding the season or what are you saying?

Yes that's what I mean. Season doesn't complete so no one "gets" anywhere so just start again.

But tbh do we really see it all being sorted by August/Sept anyway - presumably people will be still testing positive in August?

Personally think it's a bad look for the PL anyway what they are doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Any one that thinks that Sky/BT don’t have Insurance policies taken out when entering multi billion pound deals with each other must be deluded. It won’t cost them anything.

• Advertisement

Any one that thinks that Sky/BT don’t have Insurance policies taken out when entering multi billion pound deals with each other must be deluded. It won’t cost them anything.

Excellent point

• If you were anyone else I'd believe you were sincere!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112814214&postcount=5586

Life comes at you fast

hetuzozaho wrote:
    Personally think it's a bad look for the PL anyway what they are doing now.

Exactly this almost all to leagues have come poor and days they'll cancel their leagues and not crown champions.

It's the simplest solution for all involved. The only descenting voices on here come from one set of supporters.

Personally if United have to spend another year in the Europa league I'll take that over any potential deaths that could come about from not taking the necessary precautions.

Look at Real, self isolation for next 2 weeks. That's effectively forfeiting their spot in the championship league. This is a club that would sell it's granny to get ahead. Bravo to them for this step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sure it does. Doesn't change the facts that v those places have paid for an event and are entitled to see it.

So which is it - friendlies over the summer have to go ahead because people paid for tickets and are entitled to see their games?

Or the league should be stopped and voided, and fans back home with tickets shouldn't get to see their competitive matches?
    Exactly this almost all to leagues have come poor and days they'll cancel their leagues and not crown champions.

It's the simplest solution for all involved.

It's actually probably the most complicated for all involved. Those who don't get promoted, or get european football will cause chaos.
    The simplest solution is to suspend the league until they can play. And when they can play, simply carry on from where they left off.

The only reason to just start again from scratch in early August is convention - a convention that has to end/change shortly anyway to make way for a winter world cup. There's infinite time for football once this is done, and no reason not to simply continue on, and shift dates going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

People saying bt and sky are insured so they won't lose out, OK but an insurance company will have to pay a shed load, what happens after, who's going to insure these billion dollar companies then, if they can't insure themselves then they can't commit and bankroll the leagues and clubs, this could happen again down the lines.
    There's simply too much money involved here and trust me whether we like it or not money matters more in this world then the old and vulnerable
    Top level football in England will be finished to the end one way or another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's the simplest solution for all involved. The only descenting voices on here come from one set of supporters.

Personally if United have to spend another year in the Europa league I'll take that over any potential deaths that could come about from not taking the necessary precautions.

Look at Real, self isolation for next 2 weeks. That's effectively forfeiting their spot in the championship league. This is a club that would sell it's granny to get ahead. Bravo to them for this step.

Real know the league will be suspended, they have so much power. Why would you just cancel a whole season. Makes sense to suspend it first then cancel it if it cannot be restarted in a month or so.

Simple solution;

Screenshot_11.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

What I'd expect to happen now:

- By noon tomorrow the Premier League games for the weekend are cancelled

- Early next week UEFA announced that Euro 2020 is cancelled or is pushed out to 2021. Given the format of the tournament this makes the most sense I think.

- PL (and most other leagues) announce that all games will be suspended until late June (dependent on virus control going well)

- all European clubs go into a break period of 2-3 months. Preseason tours are cancelled.

- Clubs return to training in late May.

- The final rounds of fixtures are played, possibly behind closed doors, probably 2 per week running late June to late July.

- The leagues agree a date for the transfer window to open, allow players go on holidays for August.

- Leagues start back a bit later than usual, maybe late September - possibly superfluous cup competitions like the FA Cup/League Cup are cancelled for the season to allow clubs to get halfway through their league fixture list by 1 January 2021

I have no idea where CL and EL would fit in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Fairness for competitions (across all sports) is going to be out the window this year anyway due to delays, transfer windows, different players injured etc.. Easiest is to end the leagues now with current positions, cancel the cups, and hope things have settled down by August for the new season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Umaro wrote: »
    - Leagues start back a bit later than usual, maybe late September - possibly superfluous cup competitions like the FA Cup/League Cup are cancelled for the season to allow clubs to get halfway through their league fixture list by 1 January 2021

It is a bit of a mickey mouse cup, but would be a bit mean to cancel the league cup at this late stage =)

astrofool wrote: »
    It is a bit of a mickey mouse cup, but would be a bit mean to cancel the league cup at this late stage =)

I know you're joking, but he means to not have any domestic cup competitions for the 20/21 season to ease up the fixture list.

If this season bumps into next, that makes a lot of sense... they're the only competitions very few teams will complain about missing, and no-one misses out on an entitlement that they'd have earned this season (like playing European football).

Umaro wrote:

So you think uefa will just forego the champions league and Europa league.

Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I think a postponment will be announced shortly. Give the league time to figure out logistics for successful conclusion.
    If, down the line, they take the decision to cancel the league, well then I suspect we'll all have bigger things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So you think uefa will just forego the champions league and Europa league.

Not a chance

I don't see how domestic leagues can be suspended but the CL/EL carry on. Those are the two tournaments with the most international travel and highest potential for cross infection (as we've already seen).

Depending when domestic leagues get back up and running they could really struggle for space for these fixtures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The way things are going there may soon be no more sport anywhere on the planet for the rest of 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The way things are going there may soon be no more sport anywhere on the planet for the rest of 2020.

It's actually starting to look that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

FIFA esports time to take over.

The Pga tour has committed to golf for the next 4 weeks without any crowds that could change but is there current plans, players on this weekend, and going without fans from tomoro on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Callum Hudson-Odoi has now tested positive.

The Pga tour has committed to golf for the next 4 weeks without any crowds that could change but is there current plans, players on this weekend, and going without fans from tomoro on

Expect that to change very soon. I can`t see any more golf tournaments after the Players going ahead. The Tokyo Olympic Games will be postponed or cancelled as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hudson-Odi has tested positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Callum Hudson-Odoi has now tested positive.

Entire Chelsea squad in self isolation.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1238275328927305733

Entire Chelsea squad in self isolation.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1238275328927305733

The PL will be suspended tomorrow. There is absolutely no avoiding it now. Lower leagues soon to follow.

Expect that to change very soon. I can`t see any more golf tournaments after the Players going ahead. The Tokyo Olympic Games will be postponed or cancelled as well.

sooner then expected players cancelled,

• Advertisement

Whatever Europe's major leagues decide to do about concluding their current seasons, it's worth remembering that the ridiculous Qatar WC is coming up soon where conventional seasons have to be upended to accommodate it anyway.

If things are still very bad in August and the start of the 2020/21 league is affected as a result, we might not see a 'normal' PL season again for a few years to come.

It's actually starting to look that way.

How will I know it's summertime if it's not ushered in by Angles McManus squeaking out of the qualifiers at the Crucible?!

Snooker players in masks and latex gloves playing behind closed doors please!

Umaro wrote: »
    What I'd expect to happen now:

- By noon tomorrow the Premier League games for the weekend are cancelled

- Early next week UEFA announced that Euro 2020 is cancelled or is pushed out to 2021. Given the format of the tournament this makes the most sense I think.

- PL (and most other leagues) announce that all games will be suspended until late June (dependent on virus control going well)

- all European clubs go into a break period of 2-3 months. Preseason tours are cancelled.

- Clubs return to training in late May.

- The final rounds of fixtures are played, possibly behind closed doors, probably 2 per week running late June to late July.

- The leagues agree a date for the transfer window to open, allow players go on holidays for August.

What about all the players out of contract in June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Well if premier league players aren't going into work, I'm not going into work

This is playing havoc with my FF team selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

And Boris thought by advising people to avoid going on cruises that sport could continue on regardless....... ah well and Jesus wept

• Advertisement

What about all the players out of contract in June?

What about all the players that will be infected with the virus by April or probably sooner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder would the leagues consider moving to a calander year now? All leagues will be postponed and with a Winter World Cup coming up and the African Cup of Nation's moved back to January it would be a perfect time to switch to a 1/2/XX or whatever start date for all leagues.

This then means that the World Cups, Euros etc could run form between November - January depending on a start date and finish dates picked by the league. And instead of a winter break the clubs could implement a summer break for players.

That also gives the leagues an extra few months to finish the current season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It'd be reckless to play any games now and a PR disaster. I remember when Blatter said something about players being modern day slaves and he was laughed out of court. The last week has shown he was right with other considerations (money) being put ahead of their well being. That Wolves were forced to play last night and games were scheduled for this weekend is proof to me that they are extremely well paid but no one gives a **** about their well being really. Going beyond this, the amount of games they're tasked to play is further proof.

As for Liverpool, I can't stand them and I will chuckle if they don't get the league title. Not because I want football cancelled or because I want people to get sick. I really don't. But this is so unfair on them in a way and because they're a rival club, I'd quite enjoy seeing the league cancelled. And before they get all high and mighty, I took a lot of stick in 2006 when we lost out on CL because of dodgy lasagna. And a lot of that was from Liverpool fans. I still get stick about it today and if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be giving it too.

Part of being a football fan is enjoying your rivals' misfortune. That's what this is. It certainly isn't a wish for Coronavirus to spread or take hold so I wish people would stop making that argument.

Jaysus, there must be a serious amount of cases over there just waiting to be confirmed

CSF wrote: »
    Jaysus, there must be a serious amount of cases over there just waiting to be confirmed
    Absolutely I'd say!

And god knows how many over here in the states, where no-one goes to the doctor unless they're literally dying cause it's so expensive, even with insurance most of the time. Especially this early in the year when no-one has met their deductible yet.

I'd say whatever the reported figures are, it's really many multiples of that over here.

What about all the players that will be infected with the virus by April or probably sooner?

Have you totally missed my point? It was in reply to the poster saying start the season up in July again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If the league is cancelled then surely the league will be awarded to Liverpool?

It would be the fair thing to do, everybody knows it's over, mathematically only City can actually catch them, so I guess the PL could pose the question to City and ask if they concede the title, don't think they could claim with a straight face that they might actually still have a chance to win it, so the sporting thing to do would be hand the title over to Liverpool.

Aubameyang now too. Bit mad that no cases in football until about 11 last night and now they appear to be flooding in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Only way Liverpool should get the title is if enough games are played to make it mathematically won.

Whether that's the summer or October or whenever they need to play enough games to mean City can't win it. As it stands City still can win it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If the league is cancelled then surely the league will be awarded to Liverpool?

It would be the fair thing to do, everybody knows it's over, mathematically only City can actually catch them, so I guess the PL could pose the question to City and ask if they concede the title, don't think they could claim with a straight face that they might actually still have a chance to win it, so the sporting thing to do would be hand the title over to Liverpool.

So you give Liverpool the title. You're then saying that the season has some credibility. What do you do with CL spots and promotion/relegation spots? The only logical and consistent decision you can make if you give Liverpool the title is that the league table is as it stands. Spurs, Wolves, Sheffield United, Arsenal, Norwich, Aston Villa, Bournemouth all have you up in court because they'll argue the season wasn't complete and the result can't stand. They'll argue that the only similar precedent (in 1939) saw the league voided. They'll argue that other league's have voided their seasons (which I hear is what will happen in some countries). It's a legal nightmare and, from a footballing perspective, very sad for Liverpool because as much as I hate them they are owed a league title here.

I agree that morally Liverpool are champions. No one can really deny that. But giving them the league title is not a decision that can be made in that sort of vacuum. Handing them the title opens up so many other questions and problems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement