Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You forgot the tv companies.

Yeah the whole thing would be just a bunch of lads having a kick about if it wasn't televised. Even if it was technically in compliance with the regulations for gatherings the games would have such a weird atmosphere I can't see the idea generating much enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You forgot the tv companies.

Send in a few cameras and operate them remotely. Technology is there to do it. I'm sure people will understand the situation. No need for pundits and stadium announcers etc being in there.

• Not directly PL related but the decision to allow Madrid (Epicenter of an outbreak) into Liverpool as normal was foolish to the extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

1. Matches get shown on telly, people congregate in pubs.
    2. Liverpool about to win the league, their fans congregate outside the ground. Players could spread the virus.
    3. You'd still need a few hundred in or around the ground to play a game and televise it.

All of the above, and I'm sure more I haven't thought of, increase the chances of the virus spreading. Then you add in the players and managers who can't play for 2 weeks when they get it. Anyone who contracts it, their team can't play for 2 weeks.

It's become untenable to continue. And, although this isn't that important, the optics look terrible if they continue when everyone else is stopping. PR wise, they'll be putting money ahead of player and public safety.

The game is up. Suspension is the only sensible decision. The rugby guys are being reckless.

All very valid points and I don't want to suggest that it is a straight forward challenge.

But the point is that all of our normal day to day lives will need to be modified to cater for this crisis.If things are a bad as being implied, bars shouldn't be open in the first place.

I suspect suspension will be the sensible conclusion. Given other events/sports, I am not sure that it is neccessary to jump from the current state to suspension in a single step.

As I said, manage it week by week, day by day, but start planning for suspensions or whatever now. Not suggesting that extreme scenarios shouldn't be robustly planned for.

All very valid points and I don't want to suggest that it is a straight forward challenge.

But the point is that all of our normal day to day lives will need to be modified to cater for this crisis.If things are a bad as being implied, bars shouldn't be open in the first place.

I suspect suspension will be the sensible conclusion. Given other events/sports, I am not sure that it is neccessary to jump from the current state to suspension in a single step.

As I said, manage it week by week, day by day, but start planning for suspensions or whatever now. Not suggesting that extreme scenarios shouldn't be robustly planned for.

Suspension until April is already announced:confused:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/13/premier-league-and-football-league-suspended-until-4-april-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

56 minutes ago in fairness.

Suspension now doesn't bode well. Not a hope that normal proceedings will be restored by early April.

Since others are offering their ideas, may as well throw up my own...

- Suspend all football for the rest of the year*

- For the next two seasons in the run up to the disruptive 2022 Qatar WC, run the seasons by calendar year.

- Start in late January to run until late October. In 2022, this would give players about a month to train with their international teams ahead of the WC in late November.

- If FIFA/UEFA feel like it, take an extended break after WC 2022 to get the major leagues and competitions back to an August-May timeframe from 2023/24 on.

*Hopefully football would be in a position to resume long before the end of this year. If not, we all could be in severe trouble and football will be such an insignificance. So, resume and conclude this season's leagues and important competitions in late September/early October, with teams having much needed preseason games in the weeks beforehand. Get this season wrapped up by mid December, with players having 4-6 weeks off before the new adjusted season starts in late January 2021.

It's not perfect, but the eventual solution isn't going to be.

Edit: Euros be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So if Liverpool win there next game if Aprils 4th is the return then they win the league,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Just do away with the Euros and all the leagues can finish during the summer and in time for the start of next season.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not directly PL related but the decision to allow Madrid (Epicenter of an outbreak) into Liverpool as normal was foolish to the extreme
    And with a full crowd as well :confused:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Just do away with the Euros and all the leagues can finish during the summer and in time for the start of next season.

No guarantee at all that 'normal life' will be able to resume this summer:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not directly PL related but the decision to allow Madrid (Epicenter of an outbreak) into Liverpool as normal was foolish to the extreme

People come from all over the world to Cheltenham. That'll be a huge problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah but even playing games in an 'empty' stadium still brings a fairly sizeable number of people together, some of them unavoidably in close proximity, for what is ultimately a pretty frivolous reason. With the rest of the country in lockdown it would look pretty strange for the games to resume...

It's not quite as frivolous as a lot make it though . Ordinary people work in football too. So in reality, it's no more frivolous than any of our jobs that are not vital.

People will be out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For all the talk about how you can't declare Liverpool champions without opening up a can of worms with regards the European and relegation spots... what would they have done if Liverpool had already won the league?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's not quite as frivolous as a lot make it though . Ordinary people work in football too. So in reality, it's no more frivolous than any of our jobs that are not vital.

People will be out of work.

Better to be out of work than seriously ill or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

For all the talk about how you can't declare Liverpool champions without opening up a can of worms with regards the European and relegation spots... what would they have done if Liverpool had already won the league?

You'd be opening the same can of worms as regards CL and relegation places.

cjmc wrote: »
    You'd be opening the same can of worms as regards CL and relegation places.

Yeah, it'd be a real nightmare for them. I agree that you either void the season entirely or finish it when possible, but how could you possibly void a season when there's already been a champion crowned?

I really think finishing the season whenever this finally dies down (it could be 6+ months for all we know) and then work out the schedule from there should be the way to go. You could come up with some one off competition to fill whatever gap there may be until the next August rolls round and you can start again as normal. This would be essentially voiding next season of the premier League, but would that not be far better than voiding one that is nearly complete at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Better to be out of work than seriously ill or worse.

That's what I'm talking about though . Lots of people saying "it's only football" " football isn't important" while in their office in their jobs.

Ordinary folk who's jobs happen to be football related are as entitled to work as the rest of us.

• Advertisement

• GLaDOS wrote: »
    And with a full crowd as well :confused:

Spain now in crisis

Highlighting again the incompetence of the UK Prime Minister

https://www.ft.com/content/ad30c53a-650d-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well thanks for that paywall link!

Thoughts and prayers for Sky Spots.

Well thanks for that paywall link!

Thoughts and prayers for Sky Spots.

Is this another disease all players should be infected with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

They haven't so it's a nothing point

If my auntie had balls and all that

Is this another disease all players should be infected with?

Nah just the public for free while there is no sport to actually watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If Liverpool hadn't campaigned so hard for the winter break, they would've have won it by now.

• Advertisement

Man City also wanted the break (maybe they knew something ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There's never going to be early celebrations again after this whole fiasco

I think it'd be as funny as the rest of you to see Liverpool's stroll to end their 30 year wait halted by a Chinese bat virus, I think it's the wrong call though. The schedule for next season is highly unlikely to go undisrupted, you might as well finish this season first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

National League in England is still going ahead BT are not going to offer any refunds for the lack of live sport

There's never going to be early celebrations again after this whole fiasco

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112425959&postcount=9784

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I am unsubbing from this thread until there are live matches.

Its gonna turn into a blood bath in here.

Good luck folks.

Now that he's gone we can finally talk about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

National League in England is still going ahead BT are not going to offer any refunds for the lack of live sport

If you're in the UK. In Ireland you subscribe to the Sky Sports Extra pack, which includes Premier Sport and La Liga TV who also have no live sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yeah, it'd be a real nightmare for them. I agree that you either void the season entirely or finish it when possible, but how could you possibly void a season when there's already been a champion crowned?

I really think finishing the season whenever this finally dies down (it could be 6+ months for all we know) and then work out the schedule from there should be the way to go. You could come up with some one off competition to fill whatever gap there may be until the next August rolls round and you can start again as normal. This would be essentially voiding next season of the premier League, but would that not be far better than voiding one that is nearly complete at this stage?

All,football teams need tv revenue and sponsorship to survive. Although how horrible it sounds next season takes preference over this one even if teams forfeit a title. The only real issue is promotion and relegation. European competition will take way longer to start up as foreign travel will be th3 last thing to come back.

Nobody knows how long this will last. It is the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. But Klopp really said it best when he said football is a game. He really is a formidable man. And that’s from a spurs supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Now that he's gone we can finally talk about him.

Never liked him anyways ;)

Baggly wrote: »
    I am unsubbing from this thread until there are live matches.

Its gonna turn into a blood bath in here.

Good luck folks.

How will newspapers going to fill the sports pages for the next few months? Will they cancel Off the Ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maybe it'll all move to E-Sports

We'll be watching 12 year-olds play FIFA with each other soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You could declare Liverpool champions, relegate no one, bring up the 2 championship teams, play 22 the following season and relegate 5.
    The problem will remain though is the CL places, you could never get the clubs to agree especially with Man City after opening the possibility 5th place gets it, there is only 8 points between 4th and 9th as it stands, all of them have a legitimate chance of getting it. We all know the CL is a game changer in finances and attracting players.
    And all that is before you even consider the loss of revenue from Sky for cutting off a quarter of the season and bringing no conclusion.

I'm of the opinion you can't start a new season until you finish out the current, whenever that maybe. Even if it delays next season's starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

rob316 wrote: »
    play 22 the following season and relegate 5

You'd then have the problem of 4 extra games for the PL teams, can't see that working

Whatever happens won't please everyone in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You'd then have the problem of 4 extra games for the PL teams, can't see that working

Exactly. No matter what happens, someone will be pissed off enough to go down the legal route because there are so many agendas at play. That's what happens when the money becomes obscene. If I was a Premier League club owner, I'd be trying to see what was the best outcome for my club too. That's their job but it means this will get ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Exactly none of these options will fly. So I stand by you can't start the next until this is concluded.

More buys in the cup work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Abandon the League Cup competition.
    Leave non league clubs out of FA cup. Play all FA cup games midweek till the final.

Sounds like the Premier League clubs trying to agree to resume on April 4th and finish out the league behind closed doors, with possibly the cups not going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FitzShane wrote: »
    Sounds like the Premier League clubs trying to agree to resume on April 4th and finish out the league behind closed doors, with possibly the cups not going ahead.
    wont happen.

Things will be far worse by then.

Elderly will be focused on staying alive. 250 dead today in Italy.

MD1990 wrote: »
    wont happen.

Things will be far worse by then.

Elderly will be focused on staying alive. 250 dead today in Italy.

Looking unlikely alright and the way that the UK is dealing with things, you certainly would be very worried for the population there as a whole.

The virus could be contained in 6 weeks, nobody really knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looking unlikely alright and the way that the UK is dealing with things, you certainly would be very worried for the population there as a whole.

The virus could be contained in 6 weeks, nobody really knows.

Experts saying a peak in 3 months & to continue for another 3 months after that.

It cannot be contained just slowed down.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Experts saying a peak in 3 months & to continue for another 3 months after that.

It cannot be contained just slowed down.

That will be quite scary indeed.

And now to see if it's viable for players to play in a newly invented dry-fit biohazard suits made by Under Armour! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That will be quite scary indeed.

And now to see if it's viable for players to play in a newly invented dry-fit biohazard suits made by Under Armour! :pac:

Can the whole population get these suits?

• Advertisement

Can the whole population get these suits?

All people who participate in football activities from a weekly astro game level upwards may avail, so yes :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement