Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

There are 9 games left I think? That can be hammered out in 3 weeks if there's the appetite. As has been said already voiding the competition has such far reaching consequences it ain't gonna happen.

Their focus now I think will be on protecting all the players with a view to finishing the leagues behind closed doors at the earliest possible time.

Liverpool will be rightly crowned champions with no asterisk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There are 9 games left I think? That can be hammered out in 3 weeks if there's the appetite. As has been said already voiding the competition has such far reaching consequences it ain't gonna happen.

Their focus now I think will be on protecting all the players with a view to finishing the leagues behind closed doors at the earliest possible time.

Liverpool will be rightly crowned champions with no asterisk

No chance. Each team playing 3 games a week?

No one has a clue how this will end. Even the decision makers. Nothing from playing behind closed doors in a few weeks to voiding the season is beyond the realms of possibility.

There is no good solution to this. Lots of people will be pissed either way. But there is absolutely no one on the planet who has any idea how it ends or plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As the Euros will be cancelled that's the best likely chance to finish the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

DeanAustin wrote: »
    No chance. Each team playing 3 games a week?

No one has a clue how this will end. Even the decision makers. Nothing from playing behind closed doors in a few weeks to voiding the season is beyond the realms of possibility.

There is no good solution to this. Lots of people will be pissed either way. But there is absolutely no one on the planet who has any idea how it ends or plays out.

Not exactly 3 games a week. But a game every 3 or 4 days. That's done over the Xmas period, they can do it.

All on the proviso that the virus is somewhat under control.

If things do go completely tits up, that's a different scenario, none of which we've ever seen before. Then all bets are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

75% chance now the season will not finish and they will just start new season in August

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

bangkok wrote: »
    75% chance now the season will not finish and they will just start new season in August

So Liverpool will still officially be declared champions on standings when the season was suspended then. Good.

• So Liverpool will still officially be declared champions on standings when the season was suspended then. Good.

Why do people keep ignoring all other teams and situations in the league ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where did you get that from?

• Where did you get that from?

The percentage was obtained from the far of land of magical fairys and dancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Only precedent I found was Chile who cancelled their football league due to civil unrest. Top team was crowned champions (without getting required points) and no relegation. The main issue for the Premiership would be what happens with teams from Championship and would teams go down. If not relegated teams can’t really be demoted.

Also if promotion points hasn’t been reached the teams challenging could not be disregarded.

If there are legal challenges then that could delay any outcome for months. The delay could bankrupt countless teams who depend on gate receipts and tv money. Sponsorship revenue could also be withheld if teams were not playing.

Simply calling the season null and void because of extreme circumstances could be the easier choice as a team who has not mathematically won would have a tenuous case to be declared champions. The greater good could also be argued to save teams from bankruptcy.

TV broadcasters, who lets face it have a major say in this, would face catastrophic cancellations if no football is on.

• Advertisement

Where did you get that from?

Sky sports.

Makes sense. a good few clubs are already on a 14 day stay at home phase so thats no training for 2 weeks straight away. UK government and most medics are saying that the virus hasnt even peaked yet in the UK which could be next month so more will get it, cannot for the life of me see games going ahead in 3 weeks

The percentage was obtained from the far of land of magical fairys and dancing

no thats where you are from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds sensible but I can see difficulties.

For example, say a championship team had a chance of a promotion play off spot and the potential 100mill for getting into the epl.

But now they are told, sorry the league is over.

Legal challenges?

NIMAN wrote: »

For example, say a championship team had a chance of a promotion play off spot and the potential 100mill for getting into the epl.

Legal challenges?

if there are 100's of people dying all over the place as they are now in Italy i dont think anyone would bat an eyelid. suck it up and move onto the next season. there are bigger things in life than football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

if there are 100's of people dying all over the place as they are now in Italy i dont think anyone would bat an eyelid. suck it up and move onto the next season. there are bigger things in life than football

Agree 100%.

But we are talking about egomaniac club owners here. They have different ideas.

And tell it to Leeds fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Why move onto the next season ?

Wait until it clears up and finish what has begun. I say this as an lfc fan but just as important this season for many other fans such as Leeds, Leicester and Man City to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ricero wrote: »

Wait until it clears up and finish what has begun. I say this as an lfc fan but just as important this season for many other fans such as Leeds, Leicester and Man City to name but a few.

It can't continue on if UEFA call a halt to UCL competition on Tuesday. I posted a tweet earlier that explains the scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don’t follow the logic at all for scrapping the season. Football should stay off until it needs to, and then the entire calendar should be pushed back accordingly.

There is absolutely no reason why the new season HAS to start in August.

NIMAN wrote: »

Legal challenges?

Just had a brief scan of the FAs most recent financial statements. From what I can see they have Net Assets of over 100 million. Making a decision which would open them to legal challenges could bankrupt them. Legal fees could decimate them and that’s not taking into account potential damages.

If there is no prescribed rules for this type of situation, which there doesn’t appear to be, then they will have to take the most pragmatic approach. If no team has sufficient points for being named champions, promoted or relegated then chance of them winning a legal challenge would be low. On the flip side, chances of teams winning legal challenges when they have an arguable case of being promoted are considerable. The main focus of the FA will be to protect itself, it’s financial health and indeed football infrastructure. It looks like they don’t have the financial capacity to take a risk of declaring based on current standings.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Just had a brief scan of the FAs most recent financial statements. From what I can see they have Net Assets of over 100 million. Making a decision which would open them to legal challenges could bankrupt them. Legal fees could decimate them and that’s not taking into account potential damages.

If there is no prescribed rules for this type of situation, which there doesn’t appear to be, then they will have to take the most pragmatic approach. If no team has sufficient points for being named champions, promoted or relegated then chance of them winning a legal challenge would be low. On the flip side, chances of teams winning legal challenges when they have an arguable case of being promoted are considerable. The main focus of the FA will be to protect itself, it’s financial health and indeed football infrastructure. It looks like they don’t have the financial capacity to take a risk of declaring based on current standings.

the FA is separate to the Premier league though so im not sure if clubs would be suing the FA and on what grounds? im sure the premier league are well covered

• Advertisement

because this could last and not peak for another 2-3 more months. Players will need a break in the summer as well and to get ready for the new season. the euro championship will be more than likely be on in 2021 now as well

because this could last and not peak for another 2-3 more months. Players will need a break in the summer as well and to get ready for the new season. the euro championship will be more than likely be on in 2021 now as well

I mean you’d obviously push the rest of the calendar back too. In a situation like this, people need to stop thinking so staunchly in terms of August to May. We are in new waters here with whats going on with Coronavirus, and interestingly the winter World Cup actually gives us a bit of room to play with the calendar and be creative anyway.

CSF wrote: »
    I mean you’d obviously push the rest of the calendar back too. In a situation like this, people need to stop thinking so staunchly in terms of August to May. We are in new waters here with whats going on with Coronavirus, and interestingly the winter World Cup actually gives us a bit of room to play with the calendar and be creative anyway.

the euro's will need to be played next summer if its cancelled this summer which it more than likely will be

the FA is separate to the Premier league though so im not sure if clubs would be suing the FA and on what grounds? im sure the premier league are well covered

Apologies. You are completely correct.

Seeing as I am bored, did a bit more thinking of this. As there is no specific rule on this, there would have to be a rule change to allow current positions to be declared final if league is cancelled. It requires two thirds majority of clubs to be ratified. Therefore teams in relegation positions would obviously vote against it. Also teams outside European places but with a chance of obtaining them would vote against. It would be touch and go if the 2/3s would be reached. But if it was, the FA has to sanction the rule change. Therefore they would be the decider and then opening themselves for legal challenge I stated earlier.

And it’s not just the premier league. All other leagues would have a say. The relationship betweeen Premier League, FA and UEFA while always been tenuous have never been tested. This would be a perfect storm to do so. It really is a sh1tstorm.

Also, the legal challenges could take months to be completed and injunctions probably in place before decision. The ramifications for every football club, and broadcasters could be catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

In my opinion, this premier League season will not play another game more. And I now think that they should not.

Liverpool will get the title, current league positions count towards Europe and prize money, no relegation & 2 teams promoted.

Other leagues with the same. Top 2 promoted and no relegation.

No relegation, no losses in income next season (I hope)

the euro's will need to be played next summer if its cancelled this summer which it more than likely will be

The Euros can be scheduled accordingly like everything else.

This nonsense where certain things absolutely have to start and finish on a certain date but the other things are flexible and dispensable makes no sense to me.

If I’m looking at things that are dispensable and could be scrapped to help with the calendar. I’m thinking League Cup and FA Cup 20/21. 13 gameweeks sorted there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The season could be finished from the proposed start date in august up to the 1st international break. New season could start after the international break in September. Loads of options to finish the season. If there was only 9 games gone there are strong arguments to scrap it but with only 9 games left it makes no sense. The calender has to get flexible in 2022 for the world cup anyway.

just to add there now, to back up what i said, Greg Clarke has just told the premier league he does not think the domestic football season will be completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

FitzShane wrote: »
    In my opinion, this premier League season will not play another game more. And I now think that they should not.

Liverpool will get the title, current league positions count towards Europe and prize money, no relegation & 2 teams promoted.

Other leagues with the same. Top 2 promoted and no relegation.

No relegation, no losses in income next season (I hope)

I'd say if every team voted that then fine but I wouldn't my self . Every game should be played .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

doing the rounds now.

just to add there now, to back up what i said, Greg Clarke has just told the premier league he does not think the domestic football season will be completed

Regardless of Greg Clarke saying it, you’re not really making any logical points as to why it should be the case

• Top bloke / source Matty from Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A bloke with FALSE in his name. Haha

CSF wrote: »
    Regardless of Greg Clarke saying it, you’re not really making any logical points as to why it should be the case

because over 10000 are infected in the UK and the virus hasnt even peaked yet...

over 1000 are dead in italy already and thats where the uk is heading

• A bloke with FALSE in his name. Haha

Desperation at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Top bloke / source Matty from Twitter

That tweet ignores the actual rules of the league where the clubs sign up to complete home and away games and if they can't then they breach the rules. By the league being cancelled then said games can't be completed thus leading to a null and void result regards to who wins the league.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The season can of course finish. The timing is the issue. Next season start can be pushed back, get rid of a few rounds of the cups - draw teams from a hat instead of playing the game, or drop the lge cup all together for a year etc thus clearing more game weeks, no winter break, extra mid week games every second week for a few months. There are lots of options to 'shortening' next season, enabling it to start at a later stage allowing for this season to finish.

The timetable of sports all round the world will have to change from the norm to accomadate what is occuring now.

Desperation at this stage

in what sense?

this is a General Premier League thread.

what was posted is doing the rounds on said topic & there'll be plenty more before it's ultimately decided.

Liverpool will be champions if the season is played out.

Desperation comes in to it when you're hoping that a virus will put a stop to that.

The incompetent FAI were able to organise the League of Ireland moving from a winter season to a summer season. Id imagine the PL, Uefa, Fifa can organise coming up with a schedule that can get 25% of a league season finished before they start the next one.

The season could be finished from the proposed start date in august up to the 1st international break. New season could start after the international break in September. Loads of options to finish the season. If there was only 9 games gone there are strong arguments to scrap it but with only 9 games left it makes no sense. The calender has to get flexible in 2022 for the world cup anyway.

What about transfers how will that work, all the things people are proposing are pretty much impossible, its only hope of getting played out is during euro times if its doesn;t happen then it wont happen,

• Advertisement

I'd say if every team voted that then fine but I wouldn't my self . Every game should be played .

As a Liverpool fan, I say that no more games should go ahead. At most play 2 games weeks so that no asterix is needed for liverpool & man city and let arsenal, sheffield United & Aston villa have an even number with their positional rivals. All teams on equal games played and no team should have any complaints

Some small mind idiots fear Liverpool being winner more than fear viruses

What about transfers how will that work, all the things people are proposing are pretty much impossible, its only hope of getting played out is during euro times if its doesn;t happen then it wont happen,

It could start back in October give September as the transfer window. The biggest shambles would be not finishing the season over all other options. Whats worse a 75% completed season not being finished or having to deal with a 2 week transfer window. The season could start on Sept 15 and let all of September be transfers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Transfer dates would change accordingly, even extend them by a month longer. Keep them open until a certain date that would allow all teams get their business done. Shouldn't really be a problem.

• It could start back in October give September as the transfer window. The biggest shambles would be not finishing the season over all other options. Whats worse a 75% completed season not being finished or having to deal with a 2 week transfer window. The season could start on Sept 15 and let all of September be transfers.

Radical scenario to suggest a transfer window that tight in the restart / start of the PL

But it's a radical situation

I personally don't foresee anything happening from from any sporting perspective in a 6 month period but that's just my thoughts on how I see this scenario playing out as it escalates day by day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Easiest and most realistic option is to declare all football leagues null and void forbthe 19/20 season. Forget about it.

As Klopp has said just a game.

Top bloke / source Matty from Twitter

I know at least one of ye is on the wind up but like to be fair the tweet lad literally has the source written. It's the telegraph.

Here is the article. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/03/13/liverpool-set-given-premier-league-title-amid-coronavirus-chaos/

FalseF = False 9 (Firmino)

doing alright for himself as far as his gig goes by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Declaring a league null and void gives zero credibility to the following one. I'll say it again if you can start a new one then you can finish the current one.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I know at least one of ye is on the wind up but like to be fair the tweet lad literally has the source written. It's the telegraph.

Here is the article. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/03/13/liverpool-set-given-premier-league-title-amid-coronavirus-chaos/

I'm convinced it's one person using two accounts here.

Either that or Otis Agreeable Axe^ obsession with Shanotheslayer is unhealthier than his obsession with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement