Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ffs. Have you looked at how tight the championship league 1 and league 2 are? This is bigger the Loverpool. If liverpool were awarded the title without it being won by gaining enough points then the like of Leeds, crewe and Coventry would rightfully expect the same treatment.

Well if you bothered to read, I said that the top 2 from each league should be allowed up, with no relegation from any league. Any teams on equal points play each other in a play off.

So each of Leeds, Crewe & Coventry would all be promoted. Along with all teams in 2nd like WBA, Rotherham & Swindon town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

What did Harry Palmr say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

FitzShane wrote: »
    Well if you bothered to read, I said that the top 2 from each league should be allowed up, with no relegation from any league. Any teams on equal points play each other in a play off.

So each of Leeds, Crewe & Coventry would all be promoted. Along with all teams in 2nd like WBA, Rotherham & Swindon town

Why should Liverpool be gifted a title when they havent won it yet?
    Why not just cancel the league,no winner and do what youve suggested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Woodsie1 wrote: »

So you declare a winner in the efl leagues but not the premier league where there is virtually no chance of them been caught?

Come on lad don't be so transparent

Because over 75% of the season is played, and to ensure continuity is kept. Keep the cycle going. Multiple teams deserves a reward for what they have done in the previous 7 months.

You might think that I am being biased because I am a Liverpool fan and I obviously want to see them crowned as champions but if Leeds, Coventry & Crewe are going to get promoted because they had great seasons, then surely Liverpool have to also get a reward.

Canceling the season doesn't just affect one team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

rob316 wrote:
    Ah jesus Harry? I expect much better than that, a moment of madness from an otherwise solid poster.

So when you find out who it was, it's a moment of madness. He's a solid poster....

I couldn't believe what I was reading. It's beyond comprehension. How anyone could think that never mind we about it on a public forum. And you're willing to brush it off as a "moment of madness"

But I suppose that's modus operandi... Not his fault... Where have I heard that before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

To me right now, I am thinking that all leagues should be finished but the worrying thing is that the people who keep saying that lit would be "epic" if league are made null and void are doing it from such a bitter, self-centred and narrow-minded viewpoint.

They are teams like Spurs who are reliant on CL qualification money to pay off their stadium debt. The club wants the league null and void because if they are, they qualify for CL again and get the money after not deserving so after 6 months of crap. They are teams like west ham who have underachievd and are worried about relegation after making the wrong decision in sacking a manger and replacing with another wrong guy. They are fans of a team like man United who cant bear to see their greatest rival loft a trophy that everyone else thinks they deserve.

They think that the season should be null and void because of what teams are in what position and not because of what is happening to the general society we all live in. We are in lockdown in Ireland. The Garda students are getting graduated early in the next two weeks and being deployed across the nation. Schools closed, pubs and restaurants soon to be. Livelihoods at risk across the nation, let alone the world. Time to put the club crests away. Just agree to say that the best teams of the last 6 months are deserving of titles. That teams are deserving to be where they currently are. Don't be blinded by hate.

I am presuming you are a Liverpool fan. I will premise my point by saying that there is no doubt Liverpool have been the standout team. But it looks like you have a somewhat self centred viewpoint. You cannot look at the Premiership in a vacuum. If Liverpool were crowned champions the impact that would have on teams in the Championship which is nowhere near as clear cut as the premiership cannot be disregarded. By virtue of Liverpool being champs, Leeds would be too. Denying Fulham the chance of being in top two or indeed promoted. Or at least 4 other teams.

It is time to put club crest away. But that is equally the same for Liverpool. There is more at play than a title. The existence of football clubs is dependent. As a spurs supporter I haven’t even thought about null and void means we are back in. Saying discussion is fuelled by hate, by and large is not true. Most discussions here are on how it would impact all teams.

As for being blinded by hate, you cast aspersions on Spurs United and West Ham and their supporters. If this had happened after 10 matches, would the team on top then be crowned champs? Obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

What about the teams in 3rd 4th 5th all along 8th and 9th who still have a realstic chance of getting promoted automatically?

rob316 wrote: »
    So you declare a winner in the efl leagues but not the premier league where there is virtually no chance of them been caught?

Come on lad don't be so transparent

No you dont declare a winner of those leagues you declare promoted teams.

Come on lad dont be so biased.

Because over 75% of the season is played, and to ensure continuity is kept. Keep the cycle going. Multiple teams deserves a reward for what they have done in the previous 7 months.

You might think that I am being biased because I am a Liverpool fan and I obviously want to see them crowned as champions but if Leeds, Coventry & Crewe are going to get promoted because they had great seasons, then surely Liverpool have to also get a reward.

Canceling the season doesn't just affect one team.

I don’t think anyone has said that Leeds should summarily be promoted. In fact it’s the opposite. Most arguments have been that it would be unfair on the 4 or 5 other teams that can easily catch them. The only discussion about Leeds being promoted is based on Liverpool being crowned champs. So the impact on teams simply because Liverpool being awarded a title that they haven’t won would be grossly unfair.

• Advertisement

No you dont declare a winner of those leagues you declare promoted teams.

Come on lad dont be so biased.

So you validate the top 2 positions in the efl but not the premier league?

Im not been biased I just dont see the difference?

The Liverpuddings are up in arms. Stevie G slipped, get over it.

Its past your bedtime

No team in the Championship has been promoted or declared promoted. Neither Leeds or West Brom have any more right to get into the premiership than then4 or 5 other teams within touching distance

Yeh exactly,it matters to those teams finances.
    Doesnt make f-all difference if Liverpool get the title or not.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I am presuming you are a Liverpool fan. I will premise my point by saying that there is no doubt Liverpool have been the standout team. But it looks like you have a somewhat self centred viewpoint. You cannot look at the Premiership in a vacuum. If Liverpool were crowned champions the impact that would have on teams in the Championship which is nowhere near as clear cut as the premiership cannot be disregarded. By virtue of Liverpool being champs, Leeds would be too. Denying Fulham the chance of being in top two or indeed promoted. Or at least 4 other teams.

It is time to put club crest away. But that is equally the same for Liverpool. There is more at play than a title. The existence of football clubs is dependent. As a spurs supporter I haven’t even thought about null and void means we are back in. Saying discussion is fuelled by hate, by and large is not true. Most discussions here are on how it would impact all teams.

As for being blinded by hate, you cast aspersions on Spurs United and West Ham and their supporters. If this had happened after 10 matches, would the team on top then be crowned champs? Obviously not.

I totally understand & agreed it means all teams. It's why I have continually said that there should be no relegation so that no club has the financial difficulties of moving down a division. Only team moving up the ladder and getting more money. For the next season anyways. Give every club an equal chance next season.

It's tough on Fulham I agree, but is equally as tough on Sheffield United, Wolves, Man United, Portsmouth, Plymouth Argyle & any hospitality or retail worker in Ireland or the UK. We are going have to take some bad in the next few months, that will affect us all in different ways.

To be fair, I think 10 matches is a bit of stretch. That is less than 25% of a season. 29 matches played out of 38 is over 75%. That's s massive difference. .but what is the threshold that should be allowed? 95%? 90%? Should we keep going?

And apologies, my saying of West ham & Spurs wanting the league finished, I meant the owners of both clubs not fans. I did Man United as fans, in various threads on boards & twitter though

No team in the Championship has been promoted or declared promoted. Neither Leeds or West Brom have any more right to get into the premiership than then4 or 5 other teams within touching distance

Are people on here been deliberately ignorant to ram home their bias?
    No team has been but i was replying to the poster that said the efl teams should be promoted which validates the top positions of those leagues so why wouldn't you do the same for the premier league?

No team has been but i was replying to the poster that said the efl teams should be promoted which validates the top positions of those leagues so why wouldn't you do the same for the premier league?

No financial benefit or cost.

But that is not what is being argued. If Liverpool are crowned champions then Leeds would have to be too. That’s what is unfair. What is being argued is Liverpool shouldn’t be declared champions as it would have an impact on Lower Leagues.

Just to say im in no way biased. I think Liverpool deserves the title. But not if it impacts everything else which it clearly would. This impacts way more than Liverpool.

Of course it makes a difference to Liverpool. Winning the league makes you more attractive to sponsors and players.

• Advertisement

What about the teams in 3rd 4th 5th all along 8th and 9th who still have a realstic chance of getting promoted automatically?

Well I'm sorry but the previous 30 odd games dictate the next 10.

Premier League teams seem to agree that 29 overrule 9 so surely 30 championship (and divisional) games overrule 12+3

Harsh but someone had to make a ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If it goes on for 2 weeks, then it will likely be played out, 4 weeks or more, and precedent will be to cancel it all and begin again in August if everything recovers over the summer (otherwise 2020/21 will be cancelled as well). All businesses are being affected, so expect bank loans to get leniency, debt repayments extended, and financial matters held in stasis for industries affected by COVID-19.

Rushing to play matches, and doing it all in empty stadiums, makes the competition a farce. More pity on the Olympians who after 4 years training will have another year of hard slog before they can compete. Footballers will be fine, and the fans will be overly dramatic.

But that is not what is being argued. If Liverpool are crowned champions then Leeds would have to be too. That’s what is unfair. What is being argued is Liverpool shouldn’t be declared champions as it would have an impact on Lower Leagues.

Your promoting them what's the difference? No one cares about the winner of the championship promotion is the ultimate prize.

joeguevara wrote:

Great post and points well made.

As a United supporter I'd rather things declared null and void and leave it at that. People's safety and health are paramount at times like this. I'll settle for United and another year of Europa league so be it.

It amazes me that only one clubs supporters are opposed to this. Is it that important to them to win a league title that they haven't yet won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

brinty wrote: »
    It amazes me that only one clubs supporters are opposed to this. Is it that important to them to win a league title that they haven't yet won.

Of course the answer is yes, and fans of any other teams in the same position would be arguing the same points, even if precedent from the past says otherwise.

rob316 wrote:
    Are people on here been deliberately ignorant to ram home their bias? No team has been but i was replying to the poster that said the efl teams should be promoted which validates the top positions of those leagues so why wouldn't you do the same for the premier league?

Are you being deliberately ignorant to ram home your bias???

It's a rhetorical question. It's obvious you are.

• Advertisement

Of course it makes a difference to Liverpool. Winning the league makes you more attractive to sponsors and players.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611fb2f6a7f076b7b9b05767b59c4105ada7d757414&rid=giphy.gif

Your promoting them what's the difference? No one cares about the winner of the championship promotion is the ultimate prize.

But you are promoting them ahead of other teams that are within touching distance. Fulham have won one less than West Brom. Should they be denied promotion simply because Liverpool want a title. And while you are at it, should teams in the bottom 3 be summarily relegated because of where they sit now? Rules cannot just be made up to suit one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

So when you find out who it was, it's a moment of madness. He's a solid poster....

I couldn't believe what I was reading. It's beyond comprehension. How anyone could think that never mind we about it on a public forum. And you're willing to brush it off as a "moment of madness"

But I suppose that's modus operandi... Not his fault... Where have I heard that before...

Can you elaborate on this last sentence please? Curious about this.

Great post and points well made.

As a United supporter I'd rather things declared null and void and leave it at that. People's safety and health are paramount at times like this. I'll settle for United and another year of Europa league so be it.

18 clubs were in support of finishing the season to a conclusion at todays meeting. The only 2 who weren't we're looking after their own interests as they had more to lose by it continuing.
    So it doesn't really matter what the supporters think.

Alonso77 wrote:
    Can you elaborate on this last sentence please? Curious about this.

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

No

I thought so. Craven

But you are promoting them ahead of other teams that are within touching distance. Fulham have won one less than West Brom. Should they be denied promotion simply because Liverpool want a title. And while you are at it, should teams in the bottom 3 be summarily relegated because of where they sit now? Rules cannot just be made up to suit one team.

I never said leeds should be promoted another poster did. I was pointing out you cant just pick and choose what parts of the leagues are valid. Its all or none.

rob316 wrote:
    I never said leeds should be promoted another poster did. I was pointing out you cant just pick and choose what parts of the leagues are valid. Its all or none.

Exactly, everyone is treated the same.

No league champions, no promotion , no relegation

Everyone is equal

Well done

Exactly, everyone is treated the same.

No league champions, no promotion , no relegation

Everyone is equal

Well done

And good luck with getting that to fly. Clubs face financial meltdown from top to bottom without tv income

18 clubs were in support of finishing the season to a conclusion at todays meeting. The only 2 who weren't we're looking after their own interests as they had more to lose by it continuing.
    So it doesn't really matter what the supporters think.

8 teams have already declared they are self isolating. Arsenal, Leicester City, Chelsea, Manchester City, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Everton. They hardly voted to finish season to conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

To a degree yes it does. But again lets be realistic. Teams attract players by a couple of things:

1)Challenging for the league
    2)Champions League

Your post is kind of insuating that players won't join Liverpool if they won't win this league which isn't true because all agents would be selling the fact about this mental scenario.

In regards sponsers, have Liverpool ever had an issue with this?

Ultimate prize is of course promotion, but what's the difference in prize money from 1st to 2nd in Championship? I've no idea
    Steyr 556 wrote: »
    What did Harry Palmr say?

He essentially said they should give the virus to players to then self isolate so they can then get the league over with.

Apologies if that's wrong but I think that was the jist of it?

rob316 wrote:
    And good luck with getting that to fly. Clubs face financial meltdown from top to bottom without tv income

You just said it's all or nothing.

So what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Absolutely everyone knew or knows liverpool had the lge won, 25 pts ahead with 9 games left, it was over months ago for christ sake, just hand the damb thing over and be done with it

8 teams have already declared they are self isolating. Arsenal, Leicester City, Chelsea, Manchester City, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Everton. They hardly voted to finish season to conclusion.

They did. The two teams that wanted it voided was Spurs and west Ham. It doesn't take a genius to know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Arbitrarily promoting Leeds and West Brom is much more of an issue than crowning Liverpool Champions. There is (I think 9 matches left in the Championship and it’s extremely tight. The likes of Fulham are only 7 points off top spot. It is tight down to about 10th.

Absolutely, spot on. Liverpool being Champions at this stage isn't an issue, it's a done deal. Whatever happens, Liverpool will be crowned Champions.

But it's the promotion/relegation spots where it would get messy. As i said before, the leagues will finish and the Euros will be postponed. Its way too complicated to have it any other way.

• Advertisement

Ikozma wrote:
    Absolutely everyone knew or knows liverpool had the lge won, 25 pts ahead with 9 games left, it was over months ago for christ sake, just hand the damb thing over and be done with it

City have a game in hand don't forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Wait so what you're saying is that if I think that one of them is sound, that I automatically have to think that the other one sound?

My life as I know it will never be the same again??!?!

You fell right into my trap card.

Yu gi oh reverence sorry lads :( I'm cool I swear.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Absolutely, spot on. Liverpool being Champions at this stage isn't an issue, it's a done deal. Whatever happens, Liverpool will be crowned Champions.

But it's the promotion/relegation spots where it would get messy. As i said before, the leagues will finish and the Euros will be postponed. Its way too complicated to have it any other way.

And i just dont know why other posters cant see that, it has to be finished or the ramifications are huge and complex.

Ikozma wrote: »

Everyone knew except for the Liverpool fans who were afraid to admit it.
    Now they are desperate for the league to be called over and done with before it actually is.

City have a game in hand don't forget

They still aren't been caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

You know that PL teams get money for their finishing position right? There's a prize pool of £400m that gets distributed called Merit Money.

He essentially said they should give the virus to players to then self isolate so they can then get the league over with.

Apologies if that's wrong but I think that was the jist of it?

It was worse than that. I still can't believe he actually put that on a public forum. What kind of person would do that.

As for this "moment of madness" solid poster stuff... That's even worse.

Umaro wrote: »
    You know that PL teams get money for their finishing position right? There's a prize pool of £400m that gets distributed called Merit Money.

Whats your point?

You just said it's all or nothing.

So what is it

You cant pick and choose what positions are valid.

IMO It'll be all, its too complex to do it any other way.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote:
    They still aren't been caught

That's like your opinion man ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement