Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How selfish are liverpool fans? Thousands are dying and you just care about some silly trophy. Safest and fairest thing to do would just be to cancel this season and start a new season when everything is safe. No relegation, no winners and the the CL spots are decided from the previous season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

A few posters here need to self isolate away from their keyboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

joeguevara wrote: »
    But if finishing this season would delay new tv money, sponsorship, ticket revenue, new shirt sales which could bankrupt a considerable amount of clubs, just so Liverpool can win a title, the greater good would have to prevail.

None of it makes sense. And nobody really knows what will happen. But money will be the most important factor at the expense of Liverpool’s moral right to be champions.

It's truly wonderfully amazing that this needs to be explained to the nuetrals, but here we go.

This isn't about Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How selfish are liverpool fans? Thousands are dying and you just care about some silly trophy. Safest and fairest thing to do would just be to cancel this season and start a new season when everything is safe. No relegation, no winners and the the CL spots are decided from the previous season.

That’s a bit harsh. Liverpool fans wanting to win a title does not mean they have disregard of people dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oranage2 wrote: »

Why would it be safer to start another league than continue the current one?

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's truly wonderfully amazing that this needs to be explained to the nuetrals, but here we go.

This isn't about Liverpool.

Yes. If you read back at everyone of my posts I have clearly said that this is about everyone else. And if you read the post I was replying to that you quoted, it was in response to someone saying that everything should be delayed until Liverpool could play out remaining matches and win. So before getting condescending, read before you jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The biggest issue with trying to resume this season as is could well be finances of clubs. I know its different but Finn Harps have said they could go out of business if this goes on for too long.

Go to League One and Two (possibly even Championship) this could then be seen in England too. I mean Bury went bust and Bolton nearly followed and that was a few months ago in "normal" times. If clubs fold then you cant expect a folded club to get promoted/relegated. Or if the title/promotion decider was meant to be played against a now non-existant club?

If clubs from the start of the 19/20 season dont exist at the concluding fixtures of the 19/20 season then the whole structure needs to be examined and possibly re-distributed and a new season started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yes. If you read back at everyone of my posts I have clearly said that this is about everyone else. And if you read the post I was replying to that you quoted, it was in response to someone saying that everything should be delayed until Liverpool could play out remaining matches and win. So before getting condescending, read before you jump to conclusions.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pjohnson wrote: »
    The biggest issue with trying to resume this season as is could well be finances of clubs. I know its different but Finn Harps have said they could go out of business if this goes on for too long.

Go to League One and Two (possibly even Championship) this could then be seen in England too. I mean Bury went bust and Bolton nearly followed and that was a few months ago in "normal" times. If clubs fold then you cant expect a folded club to get promoted/relegated. Or if the title/promotion decider was meant to be played against a now non-existant club?

If clubs from the start of the 19/20 season dont exist at the concluding fixtures of the 19/20 season then the whole structure needs to be examined and possibly re-distributed and a new season started.

If the season is cancelled I wonder would Sky and BT pull the funding for this season? As the lads have said you can't decide anything after 75% of the season done and Sky and BT have contracts for each season so by cancelling the season the PL would be breaching Sky and BT contract.

If the TV revenue wasn't paid for this season you'd imagine a lot of the PL teams could be in serious trouble.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yes. If you read back at everyone of my posts I have clearly said that this is about everyone else. And if you read the post I was replying to that you quoted, it was in response to someone saying that everything should be delayed until Liverpool could play out remaining matches and win. So before getting condescending, read before you jump to conclusions.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said :(

Sorry I misunderstood. You are right. It gets overwhelming how many times it has to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

FitzShane wrote: »
    I don't think we will see another game played again this season, and no game should be unless there is a miraculous change in developments/changes in medicine, vaccines and society.

By the sounds of things, 18 PL teams agreed to finish the season a the current standings are. Because there is over 75% of the season played. If the clubs are agreeing to it, why can't the fans?

What worries me is the ratio of PL footballers & staff that have tested positive for the virus compared to general public. And it's only because football clubs have access to doctors & testing easily.

Sounds like fake news to me. Can't believe that the three teams in the relegation zone voted for that. Can't believe that Wolves, Arsenal, Everton and Sheffield United voted for that.

The Aston Villa guy came out of the meeting yesterday, the only one who attended in person, and was quizzed by the media and any question looking for clarity, he said "we just don't know because we don't know how long this will go on for".

Sounds to me like 18 clubs voted to postpone the league and see how it plays out before making a decision while 2 (one of which is my club) saw an opportune moment to use the situation for their own benefit. A bit tasteless maybe but this sort of thing is the bad side of why I'm glad Daniel Levy is Tottenham's chairman. He's shamelessly motivated by what's good for Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The money hungry ****ers will prob use this as an excuse to bring in playoffs for the top 4

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If the season is cancelled I wonder would Sky and BT pull the funding for this season? As the lads have said you can't decide anything after 75% of the season done and Sky and BT have contracts for each season so by cancelling the season the PL would be breaching Sky and BT contract.

If the TV revenue wasn't paid for this season you'd imagine a lot of the PL teams could be in serious trouble.

No because it’s not pay per view. Based on subscription which is paid monthly in arrears so they would have recouped a large chunk. Also, people can’t request a refund as they already received the matches. One thing they will be down on is ad revenue. Companies won’t buy ads now until matches are back.

I think that this would fall under an act of god so they couldn’t withhold revenue for breach of contract. Premier league fulfilled their side of the bargain by providing a competition. Due to a worldwide catastrophe it has been postponed. That is not the fault of the premiership.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Sounds like fake news to me. Can't believe that the three teams in the relegation zone voted for that. Can't believe that Wolves, Arsenal, Everton and Sheffield United voted for that.

The Aston Villa guy came out of the meeting yesterday, the only one who attended in person, and was quizzed by the media and any question looking for clarity, he said "we just don't know because we don't know how long this will go on for".

Sounds to me like 18 clubs voted to postpone the league and see how it plays out before making a decision while 2 (one of which is my club) saw an opportune moment to use the situation for their own benefit. A bit tasteless maybe but this sort of thing is the bad side of why I'm glad Daniel Levy is Tottenham's chairman. He's shamelessly motivated by what's good for Tottenham.

Christian purslow? Was he previously involved with arsenal or Liverpool? Saw him getting hounded by the media

Personally I'd love to see Amazon come in, move to a subscription based service for however many games you want.
    They have the cash to smash sky and bt

• Advertisement

Christian purslow? Was he previously involved with arsenal or Liverpool? Saw him getting hounded by the media

Yeah that's him. They were on him the minute he came out because he was the only one from a club physically there. The rest dialled in. I think he quite enjoyed being the centre of attention but, understandably, he was able to give no clarity because the situation is so unprecedented.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've just passed the 75% mark (28.5 games) so they can't decide to cancel, or sky and bt can't change anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Why would they void this season and start another from scratch?

Do the neutrals think this crisis is going to go on for months and suddenly resolve neatly early August and 20/21 season will begin?

Right...

The current season needs to finish whenever. That may mean Xmas like fixtures. But to borrow a famous electoral rally cry, Let's get the League Done!

There will be lots of players out of contract. What happens to players clubs sign in the Summer. Can they suddenly play in last years competition, probably not. It would be just too messy. Once we hit the transfer window period and players contracts have run out, then I don't see any real alternative.

Next weeks UEFA meetings will be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Personally I'd love to see Amazon come in, move to a subscription based service for however many games you want.
    They have the cash to smash sky and bt

I think there needs to be a move in that direction. Let you subscribe to all your teams games. And split the pot fairly amongst the PL teams.

Maybe 10% of the fee goes to your team and then the other 90% is pooled and divided between the other teams.

That’s a bit harsh. Liverpool fans wanting to win a title does not mean they have disregard of people dying.

Exactly. The only enjoyment I'm getting out of this horrible mess is Liverpool maybe not getting the league title they absolutely deserve. Petty? Yes but that's the lot of a football fan and all my mates are Liverpool fans. It doesn't mean I want a single extra person to contract coronavirus to make it happen.

Likewise, I don't think Liverpool fans are disregarding the seriousness of coronavirus at all. I'd be going nuts if this was happening to Spurs and so would any other supporter of any club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The money around the game at the top level was never going to be sustainable. I think we’ll see clubs hit the wall after this, certainly at the lower level.

It’s been coming - all it would have taken was a broadcaster to see reduced subs due to oversaturated number of them, illegal streams or just a loss of interest/willingness to pay - but this may speed it up.

Breaking news. Vice Chairman of team who sits two points above relegation and could very possibly be relegated if the Premiership recommenced calls for the season to be declared null and void. Christ almighty that is more blatant than a turkey requesting for Christmas to be cancelled. If a contestant on the Apprentice had made such a false plea she would have made a show of them. Alan Sugar would have ripped them apart.

Stick to being a baroness Karen and stop using a pandemic as an excuse to save your team for relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very dumb women.
    Coming out with that will make other clubs more determined to have the season finished. Leeds & West Brom among others will have lawsuits ready.

Pity City and Liverpool couldn’t batter them recently to sort out that GD and see what hymn sheet she’s singing from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Haha....and for The Sun. Even as a Liverpool fan I have to admire that level of ****ehawkery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah Karen Brady and the S*n, that's like Covid 19 and Bubonic plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

All teams that have a mathamatical chance of being promoted, staying up or getting into Europe will have a lawsuit if one team gets preferential treatment, ie Liverpool awarded the league.

Look at Bolton Wanderes FFS. 21 points from safety but can pick up 36 points if they win all their games.

Take a look at the lower divisions. In League 1 for example right down to 13th and 14th could still get to the play offs and mathamatically win the league.

In the championship right down to 16th could realistically reach the playoffs.

Leeds are 7 points clear. This time last year the arse fell out of their season.

There are no guarantess and it seems very selfish during this current situation that Liverpool just want the title handed over to them and for everyone else to just accept their current standings. Forever the victims.

There are no guarantess and it seems very selfish during this current situation that Liverpool just want the title handed over to them and for everyone else to just accept their current standings. Forever the victims.

A bit harsh. Now I hate Liverpool as much as the next person but the club itself have said nothing other than Klopp’s “it’s only football” statement. The opinions of the usual Headbangers on this thread (on any side) don’t count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All teams that have a mathamatical chance of being promoted, staying up or getting into Europe will have a lawsuit if one team gets preferential treatment, ie Liverpool awarded the league.

Look at Bolton Wanderes FFS. 21 points from safety but can pick up 36 points if they win all their games.

Take a look at the lower divisions. In League 1 for example right down to 13th and 14th could still get to the play offs and mathamatically win the league.

In the championship right down to 16th could realistically reach the playoffs.

Leeds are 7 points clear. This time last year the arse fell out of their season.

Well mask has finally fallen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It was never really on for a lot of these chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

WTF are we gonna do today?

WTF are we gonna do today?

I have been curtailing my usual Saturday afternoon walk followed by a couple of pints while the pubs are full of rugby goons and now this.

What does that mean exactly?

Look id agree that Liverpool are the champions elect and have been the best team this season by a country mile.

Its clearly not as simple as presenting them with the PL trophy though if ganes cant be play out.

It has to many implications for every level in the english football setup.

Look id agree that Liverpool are the champions elect and have been the best team this season by a country mile.

Its clearly not as simple as presenting them with the PL trophy though if ganes cant be play out.

It has to many implications for every level in the english football setup

I agree with this but that’s not exactly what you said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

It wasn't as simple as voiding the league either but you lapped it up the last few days too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Resorting to always or forever the victims means you have voided your argument

Collie D wrote: »
    A bit harsh. Now I hate Liverpool as much as the next person but the club itself have said nothing other than Klopp’s “it’s only football” statement. The opinions of the usual Headbangers on this thread (on any side) don’t count.

Exactly. No one can really object to Liverpool getting the league title. Morally, they've won it and absolutely deserve it. People arguing "they haven't won it yet" really are just on the wind up or motivated by their allegiance. They deserve it.

The problem is, is there a way to give them the title without opening a can of worms with everyone else's situation? If they can find a way to do it, even as a Liverpool hater, I wouldn't object and it sounds like the other 19 clubs wouldn't either.

Thats the other mess. Probably 1000's of player contract's expire on 30th June. So if this season is to resume then do these by then unemployed and unregistered players then play games for their former employers? Are clubs gunna have to trigger automatic extensions for these would be free-agents to keep them employed until whenever the season ends? Could clubs afford this?

And then of course what of Hakim Ziyech and others in his position. He is supposed to become a Chelsea employee (thus ceasing being an Ajax employee) the 1st July. What club is he meant to play for in this delayed season conclusion? Ziyech has two contracts to try and sort out a start and an end, will he suddenly be eligible to finish the delayed season at Chelsea, which he wouldnt normally be able to do, or will he have to stay at Ajax till the season is over (even though he would be a Chelsea employee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah Karen Brady and the S*n, that's like Covid 19 and Bubonic plague.

You seem determined to trivialize the current situation and virus which is very serious.

Poor form really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Exactly. No one can really object to Liverpool getting the league title. Morally, they've won it and absolutely deserve it. People arguing "they haven't won it yet" really are just on the wind up or motivated by their allegiance. They deserve it.

The problem is, is there a way to give them the title without opening a can of worms with everyone else's situation? If they can find a way to do it, even as a Liverpool hater, I wouldn't object and it sounds like the other 19 clubs wouldn't either.

Joe did a really good post on why you cannot give them a trophy because morally they've won it.

Collie D wrote: »
    I agree with this but that’s not exactly what you said

I think the original post pretty much sums up why it isnt straight forward when i gave standings of Bolton and a breakdown of the other divisions.

• adox wrote: »
    You seem determined to trivialize the current situation and virus which is very serious.

Poor form really.

Repeatedly
    It's incredibly odd

Resorting to always or forever the victims means you have voided your argument

No it doesnt. Its a personal opinion of mine.

Mathamitcal issues throughout all divisions in England is a clear, valid and solid argument.

Liverpool fully deserve the title at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liverpool deserve league

However the bat crazy ideas of a few and some backing those arguments or not challenging them is just as odd.

More concerned with Karen Brady over people that want (possibly) Millions dead for bit of silverware that most would take is as clear winners anyway.

I suppose we should not be surprised but still.

• Advertisement

Joe did a really good post on why you cannot give them a trophy because morally they've won it.

Yeah he did. But I think there will be an element of common sense applied to the situation when the thing resumes. If the powers that be can find a way to separate Liverpool's situation from the rest of the league, it can happen. It sounds like no-one objects to Liverpool being crowned champions. It's the potential knock on effects from it that will cause the problem.

Everyone here (me included) is dealing in absolutes - "well if they do x, they'll have to do y". Don't underestimate the ability of very smart businessmen to come up with a way to resolve this with Liverpool being champions and everything else worked out some other way. Then, I guess, will the title mean as much? Liverpool fans will say yes but some of the shine will be taken off it as they won't get the big celebration.

The other possibility is that this goes on for months and they end up voiding season 20/21 and playing out this season and the Euros in its place.

The biggest unknown at the minute is when can clubs play again. Until that's clear, no-one has a clue what will happen.

Liverpool deserve league

However the bat crazy ideas of a few and some backing those arguments or not challenging them is just as odd.

More concerned with Karen Brady over people that want (possibly) Millions dead for bit of silverware that most would take is as clear winners anyway.

I suppose we should not be surprised but still.

What an unfortunate way to phrase it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What an unfortunate way to phrase it...

True, but sadly it's all there for everyone to see

The title winners of most leagues is probably fairly certain. Its further down the structure that club issues arise and majorly the player/manager contracts that are the world wide issue with soccer (and rugby, and motoracing) any sport really that has a set season start and end date that would effect contracts. How can person x leave at the end of the season in 3 months if the season doesn't end for 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We could lose the league next year by a few points, have the best points total over a three year period and win nothing.
    Only Liverpool..........possibly Spurs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement