Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not sure invoking Spurs works in context of winning a league title esp by a potential record tally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We could lose the league next year by a few points, have the best points total over a three year period and win nothing.
    Only Liverpool..........possibly Spurs

QONVIyz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If Liverpool are awarded the league without playing another game will send the supporters of some other clubs into meltdown!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ArielAtom wrote: »
    If Liverpool are awarded the league without playing another game will send the supporters of some other clubs into meltdown!!!!!!

Especially if the same treatment isnt given to the other divisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ArielAtom wrote: »

Some of them are nearing it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Far from it, I'll dismiss the trash talk of Brady and the trash of the Scum as I see fit though. And you can stop looking for cheap thanks from Otis Agreeable Axe^

trigger.jpg

You alright Dave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Trigger wrote: »
    trigger.jpg

You alright Dave?

Hello darkness
    BadConstantBlackfish-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I suppose we should not be surprised but still.

Not very cute from you there. D minus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The other possibility is that this goes on for months and they end up voiding season 20/21 and playing out this season and the Euros in its place.

The biggest unknown at the minute is when can clubs play again. Until that's clear, no-one has a clue what will happen.

This is a possible, fair solution IMO. Play the remaining 9 games for each team, and fill out the rest of the calender season with the EUROs, AFCON & Copa America that were all scheduled for this summer and coming winter.

There would be no 20-21 season effectively. Go straight from 19-20 to 21-22. Same promotion relegation and qualification rules apply.

But the big thing stopping this is player contracts, as mentioned above. They are multi million dollar contracts, so I'm guessing there is some fall back clauses for clubs that can allow them to extend the time. It could be something like 'play until the completion of the season' or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

FitzShane wrote: »
    This is a possible, fair solution IMO. Play the remaining 9 games for each team, and fill out the rest of the calender season with the EUROs, AFCON & Copa America that were all scheduled for this summer and coming winter.

There would be no 20-21 season effectively. Go straight from 19-20 to 21-22. Same promotion relegation and qualification rules apply.

But the big thing stopping this is player contracts, as mentioned above. They are multi million dollar contracts, so I'm guessing there is some fall back clauses for clubs that can allow them to extend the time. It could be something like 'play until the completion of the season' or something.

You're also asking the vast majority of clubs to sit around twiddling their thumbs as their players won't be involved in European competitions or international teams.

there are absolutely no easy options here. I have no idea what they'll do in the end.

Also not sure they'll postpone Euro 2020 for a year, if they do it completely messes up WC qualifiers as well. It's a vortex of sh!t whatever way you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Especially if the same treatment isnt given to the other divisions.

In fairness I am referring to a select few of their rivals. I’m not sure that they would be interested in any other division. I’m a supporter of a championship team, so axe to grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Void the league all teams stay where they are Liverpool,Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal into the champions league for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Madness with Jet2 flights turning around mid flight back to the UK. Spanish boarders closed 1500 new cases in a single day over there. Who knows how many in the UK with their approach

Season will be voided and nobody will care in the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

FitzShane wrote: »

The problem now is that the 9 remaining games become friendlies as part of Liverpool's roll to the title, so the element of competition is now busted. On top of that you have players who can't play due to being sick, those out of form due to long breaks, injured players coming back in who wouldn't have been there for the normal season, the entire thing is a mess, unless it starts wholly in 2 weeks, the season is going to be an asterisk season.

However, there is precedent for changing the rules for Liverpool, as happened when they missed out on the champions league in 2005, so it could happen again.

• I honestly still can't fathom the thought process the UK government have taken here

The irish government have acted swiftly but now totally at risk anyway

Close the bloody borders but UK supply lines wont allow it

It took the individual sports bodies in the uk to make the correct decisions for head in the sand Borris.

The PL were slow to react but at least they finally copped themselves on. This April date though is a load of ****e unless they are talking 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

astrofool wrote: »
    The problem now is that the 9 remaining games become friendlies as part of Liverpool's roll to the title, so the element of competition is now busted. On top of that you have players who can't play due to being sick, those out of form due to long breaks, injured players coming back in who wouldn't have been there for the normal season, the entire thing is a mess, unless it starts wholly in 2 weeks, the season is going to be an asterisk season.

However, there is precedent for changing the rules for Liverpool, as happened when they missed out on the champions league in 2005, so it could happen again.

And what are the rules for a situation like this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If they can write off a series of Dallas as a dream, they can do the same for a season of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Whatever happens with league position and if there is a champion will have to be taken by UEFA as it will have to be the same for every league. I think if leagues can not be finished in the summer then all teams in champion league positions in all leagues will be given them. As a Liverpool not sure if they can be declared champions but then again if all other leagues declare champions I dont see why they would not. Teams to be relegated could be tricky.

If leagues finished I see no reason for an asterisk beside it.

I predict new UEFA laws like if x percentage is complete say 70% then that is final league position.

The panic of people not wanting to see Liverpool title and its delight of it happening rather then why it is happening says more about them which is not a good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mightyreds wrote: »
    And what are the rules for a situation like this ?

Precedent from 1939 was to cancel it, but only 3 games had been played. As said, it's getting obvious that a competitive season won't be finished, it's also equally obvious that nothing has been won yet (even though it would have happened had things continued normally). So, it's a PL for Liverpool in a shortened season (and championship for Leeds etc.) or a null and void of the whole thing, and next season starts fresh from the 2018/19 results.

OR (mega-sarcastically), they can invent a morality trophy, and let 'pool keep it in perpetuity, they get to emblazon it all over the back of the kit, with a small square in the top left for name, and top right for number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Karen Brady should hang her head in shame, an oppurtunist scumbag.

It will be sorted when its sorted. People need to look after each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not very cute from you there. D minus.

Well it wasnt me who said it. It was others who suggested it. :pac:

ricero wrote: »
    Karen Brady should hang her head in shame, an oppurtunist scumbag.

It will be sorted when its sorted. People need to look after each other.

Karen Brady and the sun newspaper. They probably work well together tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

This is incorrect.
    The rules weren't changed for Liverpool that year, there was no precedent in the UK for this. It had happened to Real Madrid in the 99-00 they finished 5th but qualified over Zaragoza in 4th.
    So you could say the rules were changed to benefit Everton.

Whatever happens, unless all games are played in a condensed period at the start of the summer, some teams are going to suffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ozzy jr wrote: »
    If they can write off a series of Dallas as a dream, they can do the same for a season of football.

Up to recently many clubs` supporters would have claimed it was a nightmare season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its getty testy here. We need Monty.
    I repeat Drumpot we need Monty.
    Monty to PL General Thread ASAP.

The Mulk wrote: »
    This is incorrect.
    The rules weren't changed for Liverpool that year, there was no precedent in the UK for this. It had happened to Real Madrid in the 99-00 they finished 5th but qualified over Zaragoza in 4th.
    So you could say the rules were changed to benefit Everton.

Whatever happens, unless all games are played in a condensed period at the start of the summer, some teams are going to suffer.

The Euro 20 playoffs would have to be played in a mini tournament before the euros. If football can restart surely the euros take precendent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The Euro 20 playoffs would have to be played in a mini tournament before the euros. If football can restart surely the euros take precendent.

Expanded toutnament, with less turnaround time between games?

I'm unsure what will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how far any team was ahead

Has the full 38 game season been completed? No Can Liverpool be caught? Yes

Therefore their current dominance amounts to the sum total of SFA

Jaysus, after four months telling us the league was done and dusted, now some utd fans are saying we can be caught!

I find it distasteful people trying to deny Liverpool the title.

The real issue is with promotion/ relegation and European qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Given Liverpool are the only team mathematically guaranteed CL football, they should get a place and there should be a play off from 2nd to 10th for the other three spots.

noodler wrote: »
    Given Liverpool are the only team mathematically guaranteed CL football, they should get a place and there should be a play off from 2nd to 10th for the other three spots.

What about promotion and relegation?

I think the problem facing football is when to play the games should this situation carry on into the summer as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »

City are in 2nd and banned from CL so it would be 3rd - 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Also lower leagues in England have not stopped playing so those leagues could finish and what will happen the the National league winners will they be denied a place in League 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Also lower leagues in England have not stopped playing so those leagues could finish and what will happen the the National league winners will they be denied a place in League 2?

Bigger leagues next season. 22 teams in premier league, 26 in championship etc

ETE56JZXgAE7o-Z?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I find it distasteful people trying to deny Liverpool the title.

The real issue is with promotion/ relegation and European qualification.

Why distasteful?

It would be the funniest thing that has ever happened to football. It needs to happen. Even the thought of it makes my whole body tingle and blood rush to a certain area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

bangkok wrote: »
    Bigger leagues next season. 22 teams in premier league, 26 in championship etc

how are you going to fit those fixtures in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

how are you going to fit those fixtures in?

Scrap the league cup and no more FA cup replays would be a start

• RasTa wrote: »
    ETE56JZXgAE7o-Z?format=jpg&name=small

Spain and Madrid gone into lockdown

And UK let thousands of AM fans into the country for a CL game only a few days ago

Clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Why distasteful?

It would be the funniest thing that has ever happened to football. It needs to happen. Even the thought of it makes my whole body tingle and blood rush to a certain area.

You think that a global pandemic getting worse with a huge amount of people dying would be the funniest thing ever?

Everyone should be hoping that the league is resumed in a month's time, as it would be a result of this crisis finishing.

8-10 wrote: »
    City are in 2nd and banned from CL so it would be 3rd - 10th

They are saying CAS are not processing things at the moment so if that continues they will probably not get to City's case in time which I guess will mean they will be involved next season.

Manchester City’s appeal against their two-year UEFA ban is up in the air as the CAS in Switzerland deals with the impact of the coronavirus.

The court has already postponed three hearings and has 16 cases scheduled until May 18th, with the City case not yet listed.

Reuters

• Not a chance is football resuming in a months time

Let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They announced it already? Link? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

They cancel the 2020/2021 season and conclude this season when it is possible.

• hetuzozaho wrote: »
    They announced it already? Link? Cheers

Google is your friend btw but here, I'm feeling helpful

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/spain-government-set-to-order-nationwide-coronavirus-lockdown

And UK let thousands of AM fans into the country for a CL game only a few days ago

Clueless

Spain AND madrid?

You do realise that madrid is the capital of Spain?

For some reason Madrid has 50% of the cases in Spain so far, madness they where let into Liverpool and not played behind closed doors.

3000 new cases there alone today

So its still not under lockdown.

Cool story bro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Seen that - thought they had announced the way you phrased it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement