Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Augme wrote: »
    They cancel the 2020/2021 season and conclude this season when it is possible.

So you are suggesting every professional football team England will forego an entire years revenue, probably lose their players because they can’t afford their salary without revenue or they leave because out of contract, no sponsorship, no corporate, no nothing for the sake of 6 matches.

That sounds like a plan.

• hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Seen that - thought they had announced the way you phrased it.

It's happening, some finding a desperate way to start an argument about confirmation of what everyone already knows is going to happen

Obsessed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah yeah turning several flights around mid flight means it's not in lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oranage2 wrote: »
    the thought of it makes my whole body tingle and blood rush to a certain area.

I think you might have a virus. Keep an eye on that, wash your hands and consider self isolation.

God speed

• RasTa wrote: »

It's not official yet even though every single news outlet is reporting on it and planes are turning around

"Points scored on the interwebs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's happening, some finding a desperate way to start an argument about confirmation of what everyone already knows is going to happen

Obsessed :P

Dunno if you are referring to me. Not looking for an argument - was just wanting link to announcement / press conference link is all dude.

• hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Dunno if you are referring to me. Not looking for an argument - was just wanting link to announcement / press conference link is all dude.

Nope not you. Apologies if it looked so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

joeguevara wrote: »
    So you are suggesting every professional football team England will forego an entire years revenue, probably lose their players because they can’t afford their salary without revenue or they leave because out of contract, no sponsorship, no corporate, no nothing for the sake of 6 matches.

That sounds like a plan.

It will be a long time before a season will be able to be played interrupted and in a full capacity stadium. Possible early 2021. Even if they decided now to right now to cancel this current season they is no chance the 2020/2022 season will be able to start in August anyway.

At sone point we will be able to finish this season and at least have a established set up for how the next season will start in terms of qualifications relegations, competitions in all European competitions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

Why distasteful?

It would be the funniest thing that has ever happened to football. It needs to happen. Even the thought of it makes my whole body tingle and blood rush to a certain area.

You're a strange individual.

RasTa wrote: »

Mad seeing them turning around. UK government are going to look very at odds with everyone else by the end of the day / weekend if they don't start changing their positions on these things.

• Advertisement

• FitzShane wrote: »
    You think that a global pandemic getting worse with a huge amount of people dying would be the funniest thing ever?

Everyone should be hoping that the league is resumed in a month's time, as it would be a result of this crisis finishing.

People need to stop twisting it

Everybody is worried about peoples health and wellbeing of everyone around them and their families. Nobody I'd imagine wanted or wished a scenario like this to happen in their lifetime just so liverpool would not win league. It's a scary time ahead.

It just happens to be the only positive outcome coming out of this disaster scenario of a league being cancelled from a purely footballing perspective is liverpool may not win the league and you are getting slagged over that alone by rivals.

Suck it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

People need to stop twisting it

Everybody is worried about peoples health and wellbeing of everyone around them and their families. Nobody I'd imagine wanted or wished a scenario like this to happen in their lifetime just so liverpool would not win league. It's a scary time ahead.

It just happens to be the only positive outcome coming out of this disaster scenario of a league being cancelled from a purely footballing perspective is liverpool may not win the league and you are getting slagged over that alone by rivals.

Suck it up

Well the poster was getting extremely excited about the league being cancelled.There is a current suspension in place and it could be resumed. I don't think it will be resumed, but there is a possibility of it being resumed. If the current epidemic gets worse, then the league will have to get cancelled. The poster, and a lot more by the looks of things, want the league to get cancelled. Wanting the league to be cancelled by virtue of the epidemic getting worse.

To me, there is a clear difference between humoured banter and blinding hated.
    Humour, to me, would be 'ha ha no fans get to see Liverpool lift the trophy' or 'asterix chanpions' etc. Well able to take that. Saying you hope the league is cancelled, because the epidemic is getting worse. That's a different kettle of fish.

Also, how come you were able to see my post? You told me previously that I was on your ignore list. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

FitzShane wrote: »
    Well the poster was getting extremely excited about the league being cancelled.There is a current suspension in place and it could be resumed. I don't think it will be resumed, but there is a possibility of it being resumed. If the current epidemic gets worse, then the league will have to get cancelled. The poster, and a lot more by the looks of things, want the league to get cancelled. Wanting the league to be cancelled by virtue of the epidemic getting worse.

Humour, to me, would be 'ha ha no fans get to see Liverpool lift the trophy' or 'asterix chanpions' etc. Well able to take that. Saying you hope the league is cancelled, because the epidemic is getting worse. That's a different kettle of fish.

Also, how come you were able to see my post? You told me previously that I was on your ignore list. :pac:

Nobody has said this. You're twisting the argument to discredit the poster.

Nobody wants this to spread and nobody wants anyone else to get infected. But we can't control that. If Liverpool lose the league as a by-product, I'd laugh myself silly. And that's because Liverpool fully deserve the league title, they've been tremendous this season and that outcome would be beyond unfair. The same way Liverpool fans would laugh at Man U if the shoe was on the other foot.

But to be clear, no one wants the virus to spread to make this happen.

• FitzShane wrote: »

I removed you from the list. Not sure why that's relevant.

Honestly all means **** in reality. It's just a game of ball and banter coming out of this is bound to happen.

Banter aside stay safe. There is no grudges when it comes to serious **** like peoples health and wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

8-10 wrote: »
    I think you might have a virus. Keep an eye on that, wash your hands and consider self isolation.

God speed

I know that virus but according to Game of Thrones, there's no cure for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Seen that - thought they had announced the way you phrased it.

It basically is lockdown, everywhere closed bar supermarkets n pharmacies, father in one area and brother in another and both are pretty much in lockdown. All restaurants and bars where ordered to close for 15 days from 12 last night, although the father said the one he frequents stayed open till 2/3 but wont be opening today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The Mulk wrote: »
    This is incorrect.
    The rules weren't changed for Liverpool that year, there was no precedent in the UK for this. It had happened to Real Madrid in the 99-00 they finished 5th but qualified over Zaragoza in 4th.
    So you could say the rules were changed to benefit Everton.

Not correct, the rules in the premier league was the top 4 positions (that can play in Europe) qualify, the rules in primera liga was that reigning champions league winners qualify first and then the remaining teams. After '05 the rules were changed so that winners always get a place, and for the '06 competition, rules were changed to allow Liverpool to qualify via the 3 round qualifying route. Each federation was allowed to set it's own rules for who qualified, hence the difference between the English and Spanish FA. Everton were always getting a place based on the existing rules.

RasTa wrote: »

That was a personal decision made by Jet2 in fairness, there was still flights in and out earlier.. they are going to go full state of Emergency later today, most areas have already declare it themselves. Valencia did so yesterday, all their beaches are closed to try prevent the people from Madrid going down as it's a huge spot for them in torrevieja/La Mata

Trigger wrote: »
    It basically is lockdown, everywhere closed bar supermarkets n pharmacies, father in one area and brother in another and both are pretty much in lockdown. All restaurants and bars where ordered to close for 15 days from 12 last night, although the father said the one he frequents stayed open till 2/3 but wont be opening today.

I know yeah - family friend over there - but the articles were based on an upcoming press conference I thought (at 2pm I thought I saw) and I wanted to see it was all.

All the best to anyone you have over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wow Shane you really need reading lessons, I believe there are some organizations that help illiterate adult and adults learning to read.

The league being canceled doesn't equate to me wanting this epidemic to worsen.

It means it will bring a small smile to my face during this hard time, and to be honest, Liverpool don't deserve the title by how their fans behaved this season.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I know yeah - family friend over there - but the articles were based on an upcoming press conference I thought (at 2pm I thought I saw) and I wanted to see it was all.

All the best to anyone you have over there.

And likewise to you and yours, it's a troubling time in the world and everyone needs to be fighting in the same direction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wow Shane you really need reading lessons, I believe there are some organizations that help illiterate adult and adults learning to read.

It means it will bring a small smile to my face during this hard time, and to be honest, Liverpool don't deserve the title by how their fans behaved this season.

I can't get enough of these types of posts. Inject them into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Incorrect spelling here and all.....always said Oranage no-one can hold a candle to you. A1 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How have there fans behaves this season. I bet fans were saints when you won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I removed you from the list. Not sure why that's relevant.

Honestly all means **** in reality. It's just a game of ball and banter coming out of this is bound to happen.

Banter aside stay safe. There is no grudges when it comes to serious **** like peoples health and wellbeing.

It is just a game. But if it comes to it league gets voided I think laughing at Liverpool fans would be down the list of priorities. That would likely mean at least three months of lock down, list jobs and a pretty severe recession, not to mention the obvious impacts of the virus itself.

I'm missing sport already......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The only way the league is cancelled IS if this epidemic worsens or prolongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Which sadly looks the case.

I'm no expert but lot of experts seem to think this will last at least 2-3 months at best. The dooms day ones seem think September but hopefully it will be nowhere near that.

We have Cruise Ships and Airports acting like normal in this country alone.

We ain't doing anywhere near enough to help contain this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

astrofool wrote: »
    Not correct, the rules in the premier league was the top 4 positions (that can play in Europe) qualify, the rules in primera liga was that reigning champions league winners qualify first and then the remaining teams. After '05 the rules were changed so that winners always get a place, and for the '06 competition, rules were changed to allow Liverpool to qualify via the 3 round qualifying route. Each federation was allowed to set it's own rules for who qualified, hence the difference between the English and Spanish FA. Everton were always getting a place based on the existing rules.

Everton weren't going to be and shouldn't have being in the CL that year, going on the existing UEFA rules at the time. UEFA would have over ruled the PL at the time if they had of stuck with the top 4 rule.
    I know the PL can set their own places but since the beginning of the European Cup the winners always get to defend the trophy. The fact that it hadn't happened before meant that they never had the decision to make. TNS allowing Liverpool a playoff at the time was an easy way out for all parties, and the rules were firmed up the next year.

I'm not sure what happens to this season though, we've never seen the likes of it, there's not going to be an easy solution.

Liverpool fans want the league to be finished.

Fans of other clubs don't want the league to be finished for various reasons.

Can we not all come together as one and understand that football and sport in general has shut down for the next few weeks.

This is serious lads, what are we going to do. Talk to loved ones?? :confused:

Halifax V Ebbsfleet seems so streamable right about now.

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    Everton weren't going to be and shouldn't have being in the CL that year, going on the existing UEFA rules at the time. UEFA would have over ruled the PL at the time if they had of stuck with the top 4 rule.
    I know the PL can set their own places but since the beginning of the European Cup the winners always get to defend the trophy. The fact that it hadn't happened before meant that they never had the decision to make. TNS allowing Liverpool a playoff at the time was an easy way out for all parties, and the rules were firmed up the next year.

It's not worth dragging this off topic (sure re-open another thread if you want to bring it back as it was all discussed back in the day), UEFA specifically allowed the federations to set the rules, which are set at the start of the season, the rules were specifically changed to allow Liverpool to compete in a competition they did not qualify for based on the rules from the start of the season. I would be doubtful that if Chelsea had won the CL but failed to qualify that rules would have been changed for them, but that's my personal opinion.

Ultimately, rules were changed to accommodate Liverpool, the same may well happen again this season to allow them to lift a trophy that they would have undoubtedly won if the season were able to continue as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sports interactive are slow off the mark here. I know Watford put up a video of their match with Leicester played out on FM , but SI (if they are not already) should started a video taking up from the current league positions and seeing out the season.

Any content , even at this early stage, would be appreciated :)

Which sadly looks the case.

I'm no expert but lot of experts seem to think this will last at least 2-3 months at best. The dooms day ones seem think September but hopefully it will be nowhere near that.

We have Cruise Ships and Airports acting like normal in this country alone.

We ain't doing anywhere near enough to help contain this.

I think we are doing quite a bit to be honest. Most people I know are working from home, sticking to a close knit group of people and taking every precaution they can.

The more people that engage in good practice the better chance we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

It's not worth dragging this off topic (sure re-open another thread if you want to bring it back as it was all discussed back in the day), UEFA specifically allowed the federations to set the rules, which are set at the start of the season, the rules were specifically changed to allow Liverpool to compete in a competition they did not qualify for based on the rules from the start of the season. I would be doubtful that if Chelsea had won the CL but failed to qualify that rules would have been changed for them, but that's my personal opinion.

Ultimately, rules were changed to accommodate Liverpool, the same may well happen again this season to allow them to lift a trophy that they would have undoubtedly won if the season were able to continue as normal.

Fair enough, but I disagree with that fact that rules were changed, as there was no recorded rule(for the UK) regarding the winner finishing outside the Top 4.
    The same way as the are no rules in place to solve a 75% finished season.
    I just know at the time a solution was found to appease everyone withLiverpool taking the place of the Welsh champions.
    I'm sure the FA are busily writing up a new rule book, depending on how all this unfolds, but I'm not sure there will be such an easy solution.

From memory, how long would people (outside of Sunderland fans) reckon Sunderland are gone from the PL?

I'd have guessed 4 or 5 tears tbh. Premier League years is on Sky sports on the 2016-17 season and I'd genuinely figured Sunderland were well gone 2 and a half seasons ago. Seems so much has gone on since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Which it will. The UK is going down the Italy way right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At a time like the present, this kind of thinking is absolutely mind boggling and to be honest, slightly deranged.

Global Pandemic? Who cares as long as Liverpool don't win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They could go to a South American style system of averaging out your season performance over 2 years and crowning the title winners that way.

So the season will be stopped, they go again next season. Top 2 from the championship promoted, then bottom 5 relegated and average points per game decide the positions.

They could go to a South American style system of averaging out your season performance over 2 years and crowning the title winners that way.

So the season will be stopped, they go again next season. Top 2 from the championship promoted, then bottom 5 relegated and average points per game decide the positions.

The Premier League and the EFL won't be ar$ed bearing in mind how much that would cost them.

The leagues will finish, the Euros will be postponed.

Thats obviously perfectly acceptable to Liverpool fans.:)

It would work for teams that have been in the PL for both of those seasons but the promoted and relegated teams are hit hard, how does it work for them? Villa, say, had a really strong season last season but a mare this season by virtue of moving up a league. They'd have a better average ppg than a team that finished 15th in the PL for 2 years.

Best solution is to shut down the countries for 3 - 4 weeks. Everyone off and paid. During that time let the football go ahead behind closed doors but in a WC type schedule. 3 matches a day , every day, spread out to give 9 hours of coverage each day. Each team plays a game every 3 days. See out the leagues, cups and europe that way while we all get to spend 3 -4 weeks in front of the telly.

"are you not entertained" :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Spain and Madrid gone into lockdown

And UK let thousands of AM fans into the country for a CL game only a few days ago

Clueless

It's utterly bizarre. 3000 fans from Madrid in Anfield plus probably a lot more who were in the city. Not to mention 70000ish people in Cheltenham every day for four days. It just seems to be the policy for those in charge to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend nothing's wrong. After all, the economy is what matters and if thousands of people die, it's a sacrifice worth making.

As for football, Karen Brady's suggestion is literally made because West Ham are in danger. If we were up where Sheffield United are, she'd say it should be delayed. I think it should be delayed at the expense of a truncated following season. I don't think any club would mourn the loss of the League Cup to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:
    Jaysus, after four months telling us the league was done and dusted, now some utd fans are saying we can be caught!

Jaysus after four months of saying Liverpool aren't favorites and nothing was won yet, now all Liverpool fans want to be awarded a trophy they haven't won.

See how that works both ways eh.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

brinty wrote:
    Jaysus after four months of saying Liverpool aren't favorites and nothing was won yet, now all Liverpool fans want to be awarded a trophy they haven't won.

Glad you know how all Liverpool fans feel....

BTW I'm a Liverpool fan and the last thing I want is to be declared champions by default without mathematically winning enough points.

brinty wrote: »
    now all Liverpool fans want to be awarded a trophy they haven't won.

Well that's not true. The vast majority seem to want the games to resume whenever that may be. No point in starting a new season before finishing out this one....I mean what if it happened again next March?

There's 9 games left. When football is safe to restart, play them. I'm not seeing all these fans youre claiming want a trophy handed out? (Though I'll absolutely take it if that's what's decided!!)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well that's not true. The vast majority seem to want the games to resume whenever that may be. No point in starting a new season before finishing out this one....I mean what if it happened again next March?

There's 9 games left. When football is safe to restart, play them. I'm not seeing all these fans youre claiming want a trophy handed out?

And what if that is after 30th June when large swathes of players all around Europe become unemployed? Do they play for their former employers for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

pjohnson wrote: »
    And what if that is after 30th June when large swathes of players all around Europe become unemployed? Do they play for their former employers for free?

Extend contracts until the end of what the deem will be needed to play the games

Theres 2 points in a season already when players could join or leave clubs so its hardly a big deal if a few leave before or during a delayed last few games. In the grand scheme of things , its ine of the minor issues. If they really want they could sign a 2 month deal to see out the games.

If it's a significant issue I would expect the delay to continue until new players have signed. You likely need some sort of a preseason whenever it restarts as players won't have been training together so I don't think it's a big deal.

There's 9 games left. When football is safe to restart, play them. I'm not seeing all these fans youre claiming want a trophy handed out? (Though I'll absolutely take it if that's what's decided!!)

If the delay is that long, the games become friendlies as neither side will be ready or fit to play them (along with other issues), in which case, might as well hand it over now, and start the next season correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If the delay is that long, the games become friendlies as neither side will be ready or fit to play them (along with other issues), in which case, might as well hand it over now, and start the next season correctly.

Nonsense.

IF (and it's a big if) the best happened and things died down somewhat in two or three months then the games should absolutely be played.

Would stave off alot of headaches and legal issues.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement