Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

astrofool wrote: »
    If the delay is that long, the games become friendlies as neither side will be ready or fit to play them (along with other issues), in which case, might as well hand it over now, and start the next season correctly.

the players live in mansions , and are still getting paid , they should never be unfit end of story ,

but i imagine it will be run off in may or june behind closed doors , if the season is null and void then all that sponsor money has to be paid back along with tv money and also next years non champions league money

the euros will never go ahead under its current guise now one country will probably be awarded it next summer ( as the current virus will still be lurking around i imagine )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense.

IF (and it's a big if) the best happened and things died down somewhat in two or three months then the games should absolutely be played.

Would stave off alot of headaches and legal issues.

If the best scenario is 3 months to allow games to be played, the issue would be that there would have to be a month of teams training together to ensure that they are match ready. Remember if you are suggesting that the games should be played this will determine titles, relegation, European qualification and promotion. Teams will want to be at their best (or best they can be). Then another 6 weeks to play matches. There would then be a break between the end of the season and start of new season as teams will have to plan, reformulate etc. .

Basically 6 or 7 months before a new season could potentially start. And 6 or 7 months before they get first tranche of tv money, sponsorship, season ticket revenue, gate receipts, new shirt sales I.e money to survive.

The sooner the new season can start, the better chance that clubs in all leagues will survive as the majority of them require the above revenue on a month to month basis. Sacrificing the actual future of so many clubs for the benefit of so few should never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joeguevara wrote: »
    If the best scenario is 3 months to allow games to be played, the issue would be that there would have to be a month of teams training together to ensure that they are match ready. Remember if you are suggesting that the games should be played this will determine titles, relegation, European qualification and promotion. Teams will want to be at their best (or best they can be). Then another 6 weeks to play matches. There would then be a break between the end of the season and start of new season as teams will have to plan, reformulate etc. .

Basically 6 or 7 months before a new season could potentially start. And 6 or 7 months before they get first tranche of tv money, sponsorship, season ticket revenue, gate receipts, new shirt sales I.e money to survive.

The sooner the new season can start, the better chance that clubs in all leagues will survive as the majority of them require the above revenue on a month to month basis. Sacrificing the actual future of so many clubs for the benefit of so few should never happen.

Teams not being 100% match fit is just a compromise that would have to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Sometimes reading this thread would sicken you worse than a virus. There are terrible times ahead: large numbers of people will die, even larger numbers of people will be acutely ill, huge numbers of people will be devastated by the loss of family, friends, jobs, purpose in life. Sport should be a help in this, a distraction, because of the whole entertainment value and love of sport. The glee from some non-Pool supporters is toxic. Think of the implications behind a potential shut-down and get some perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Sometimes reading this thread would sicken you worse than a virus. There are terrible times ahead: large numbers of people will die, even larger numbers of people will be acutely ill, huge numbers of people will be devastated by the loss of family, friends, jobs, purpose in life. Sport should be a help in this, a distraction, because of the whole entertainment value and love of sport. The glee from some non-Pool supporters is toxic. Think of the implications behind a potential shut-down and get some perspective.

the glee is the distraction you are talking about i would guess

I suppose it's totally expected but it's noteworthy that the two clubs who seem to have publicly voice support for null.and void are two are in danger of relegation.

I'd love to know what is being said at the meetings. I assume others are adopting a wait and see line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The PL meet on Thursday (after UEFA on Tuesday) then we'll know who is in favour of what course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I could see the whole season being chalked off. I think this pandemic is going to last a lot longer than a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Simplest solution to the whole thing

Make the call now that it no football until August save life's

In August start with the remaining games from this season scrap next year's FA cup and League cup to make room in the calendar,
    By October you would be starting the new season ,

Only issues would be the transfer window are new singing aloud play from August or October (new season)

And Clubs who don't know if they will be relegated or promoted as that hugely effects singings , but surely it can be worked out ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Simplest solution to the whole thing

Make the call now that it no football until August save life's

In August start with the remaining games from this season scrap next year's FA cup and League cup to make room in the calendar,
    By October you would be starting the new season ,

Only issues would be the transfer window are new singing aloud play from August or October (new season)

And Clubs who don't know if they will be relegated or promoted as that hugely effects singings , but surely it can be worked out ,

That's not the simplest solution.

The simplest solution is to void the 2019-20 season and to start afresh when the medical expects give the all clear.

ozzy jr wrote: »

The simplest solution is to void the 2019-20 season and to start afresh when the medical expects give the all clear.

Its not simple to just void it

There would be to many repercussions of losing money and legal issues

The best solution is to finish out the season whenever that may be,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Voiding the season sounds like the simplest idea.
    In reality, it's the one that would have the greatest amount of problems. TV, contracts, court cases, promotion, relegation, etc as Magnus Magnusson would say.......
    This season and next season will be greatly dirsupted-date wise.
    We should find out the lay of the land during the week.

The best solution and the simplest solution are more than likely two different things.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Voiding the season sounds like the simplest idea.
    In reality, it's the one that would have the greatest amount of problems. TV, contracts, court cases, promotion, relegation, etc as Magnus Magnusson would say.......
    This season and next season will be greatly dirsupted-date wise.
    We should find out the lay of the land during the week.

Spot on people who say void the season have a very simplistic veiwm
    This isn't your Sunday league season it has absolutely huge finical repercussion ,

Not just on the teams but on everyone involved in the sport,
    One example TV rights have already been paid out , you'd have to give them back, could ruin the whole game for years to come from so many different aspects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The simplest solution is to void it, but it's not the best solution.

IMO

They should apply an avg points per game, goal difference etc and that dictates final positions.

Change the prize structure a little so the teams that get relegated and/or finish in the bottom half get an extra financial reward and run the champions league, europa league and playoffs from the lower leagues in the summer or when this abates. Then start the new season (which may well be January at this stage)

Teams are where they are on merit, if you haven't done enough by now to make a european spot/win a league/avoid relegation then that's on you.

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »

Teams are where they are on merit, if you haven't done enough by now to make a european spot/win a league/avoid relegation then that's on you.

Do you even follow the league. There are surprises every year between March and May.

Spot on people who say void the season have a very simplistic veiwm
    This isn't your Sunday league season it has absolutely huge finical repercussion ,

Not just on the teams but on everyone involved in the sport,
    One example TV rights have already been paid out , you'd have to give them back, could ruin the whole game for years to come from so many different aspects

Yet your solution was to scrap next seasons FA and League Cups. TV rights have been given out for those competitions too.

Do you even follow the league. There are surprises every year between March and May.

More often than not things don't change dramatically, we remember the surprises exactly because they are surprises.

That being said, that's irrelevant in the face of what we have here. An unprecedented situation, with no easy option and a solution required. The only solution that is fair to everyone is merit. This is not blowing over in 3 weeks, I'm not sure it's even blowing over in 3 months.

To be honest, I don't really care which route they go. I'm commenting on my opinion because I'm a football supporter but it's all so meaningless right now.

Whatever solution they come up with the goalposts will have moved so dramatically that nobody knows how it would have played out either way.

One example, Spurs.

Right now they are in a tailspin with a relatively new manager who hasn't had time to immerse his vision and plan and missing a lot of their main players.

By the time this blows over they could have all players back to full health and an extra couple of months of preparation behind them.

The outcome of their final 9 games will be infinitely different than it would have been.

Even that is just the tip of the iceberg, we have no idea how players mental and physical health will be affected by this break and any consequences that they, their families or their clubs might suffer as a result.

I think a reset is the only way forward, but teams should be rewarded for their efforts to date.

So award this season on merit and start again fresh once it's safe to do so.

One example, Spurs.

Right now they are in a tailspin with a relatively new manager who hasn't had time to immerse his vision and plan and missing a lot of their main players.

By the time this blows over they could have all players back to full health and an extra couple of months of preparation behind them.

The outcome of their final 9 games will be infinitely different than it would have been.

Even that is just the tip of the iceberg, we have no idea how players mental and physical health will be affected by this break and any consequences that they, their families or their clubs might suffer as a result.

I think a reset is the only way forward, but teams should be rewarded for their efforts to date.

So award this season on merit and start again fresh once it's safe to do so.

I think what you mentioned is the fairest way but possible not the easiest thing to do ,

• Advertisement

More often than not things don't change dramatically, we remember the surprises exactly because they are surprises.

That being said, that's irrelevant in the face of what we have here. An unprecedented situation, with no easy option and a solution required. The only solution that is fair to everyone is merit. This is not blowing over in 3 weeks, I'm not sure it's even blowing over in 3 months.

To be honest, I don't really care which route they go. I'm commenting on my opinion because I'm a football supporter but it's all so meaningless right now.

Whatever solution they come up with the goalposts will have moved so dramatically that nobody knows how it would have played out either way.

We remember surprises in May because they are dramatic
    Between March and May things happen almost every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What if it goes on until next April?

you'd have lads who are 31 now all of a sudden looking old and young talents missing a years development ,

Be very hard to predict how a season would go with a whole season off between ,

So be it. 2020-21 season doesn't happen. 2021-22 starts on schedule.

If things are that bad and thousands of people have died, I don't think football will be high on most people's agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That would actually make things simple. Because then this season can be finished and next season, which would have never even started, can be just glossed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So be it. 2020-21 season doesn't happen. 2021-22 starts on schedule.

If things are that bad and thousands of people have died, I don't think football will be high on most people's agenda.

I agree. But we just don't have a clue what will happen. It's impossible to talk about a simplest solution.

It's too early to make a decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The simplest solution is to void it, but it's not the best solution.

IMO

They should apply an avg points per game, goal difference etc and that dictates final positions.
    Change the prize structure a little so the teams that get relegated and/or finish in the bottom half get an extra financial reward and run the champions league, europa league and playoffs from the lower leagues in the summer or when this abates. Then start the new season (which may well be January at this stage)

Somebody else (or may have been you) posted this the other day. Applying average points already won to future games would leave the same finishing position apart from the few teams with games in hand.

Collie D wrote: »
    Somebody else (or may have been you) posted this the other day. Applying average points already won to future games would leave the same finishing position apart from the few teams with games in hand.

Wasn't me, but that doesn't surprise me. As I said, teams are where they are on merit. Absolutely does a disservice to anyone who might be able to put a late run together but so be it.

We're all just throwing darts at a wall here though, who knows what they'll do or when they'll be able to do it.

But teams who have played difficult fixtures and have an easier run in than others? Surely easier leave 20 teams and bring up 2/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Finish this current season even if it’s at the end of the year, move the season to the calendar years ending with that winter World Cup in 2022

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So Liverpool would finish on 105pts ?

But teams who have played difficult fixtures and have an easier run in than others? Surely easier leave 20 teams and bring up 2/3

Oh, I wasn’t agreeing or disagreeing with it. Just saying that using average points to see out the season would be the same as leaving it as is.

For what it’s worth I think the season should be suspended rather than voided or declared now. When that happens, who knows. Deal with next season when this one is done.

If next season has to be streamlined somehow then so be it but I think if a competition is started it should be seen out. Or at least until all scenarios such as winners, relegation etc are mathematically locked in.

Oh, I wasn’t agreeing or disagreeing with it. Just saying that using average points to see out the season would be the same as leaving it as is.

For what it’s worth I think the season should be suspended rather than voided or declared now. When that happens, who knows. Deal with next season when this one is done.

If next season has to be streamlined somehow then so be it but I think if a competition is started it should be seen out. Or at least until all scenarios such as winners, relegation etc are mathematically locked in.

It would be bad to void this season now with an intent to start fresh only to find that next season doesn't start until October+ and we need up having to void that one too as the euros will be in early 2021

'Sunday Supp: 'This season must be completed''

https://www.skysports.com/share/11957862

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they wont **** a second season for the sake of this one.

in a few months who knows what will happen. it'll be easier to nullify this current season in a few months, if they cannot conclude it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Easiest thing is to play it by ear, if they need to suspend for another 4 weeks until May 1st, then do this and see how things pan out after that.

There's talk that the UK will hit peak virus in 12 weeks, maybe only in 4, we have no idea. But provisionally cancelling the season right now when we have no idea if the 2020/21 season can even start in August is nonsense. Thins is, so long as we do not know, there's no point making rash decisions.

Also it's possible that this may be a perennial virus, meaning it will be back again next year and the year after. Are we going to continue playing 75% of a league and then shut it down every year? I think not.

in a few months who knows what will happen. it'll be easier to nullify this current season in a few months, if they cannot conclude it.

It’s not easy to nullify a season in progress without losing significant money, United for example have lost over £600 million in stocks because they are crashing. More teams will lose out people will be looking for season ticket money back and tv companies will looking for money back, teams losing out on promotion will not be happy can you picture Leeds and West Brom being happy losing out on potential premier league money?

It wouldn’t be ****ing it if all parties agreed in advance. Whether it means scrapping Cup competitions for the year, only playing each side once in the league, making European competitions knock out or single legs, etc. It can be done. I’m not saying these measures SHOULD be taken, just that there are options.

I just think having a streamlined season agreed in advance is a far better idea than just voiding the current one with no outcome. There are also probably too many dissenters to have the season declared now with current positions as final.

• Advertisement

Sky will be pushing the agenda to finish the season anyway.

6 wrote: »
    Sky will be pushing the agenda to finish the season anyway.

Well they know if games can go ahead behind closed doors they can push up subscribers and such as there were talks of Sky and BT showing all games if they are to be played behind closed doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Voiding the season will be very difficult. Leicester and united will be definitely pushing legal action as will all teams in promotion positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

sugarman wrote: »
    Legal action against who? You can put your house on the FA having it well covered in their t&c's / contract with clubs when they grant them their licenses. Theres absolutely no way a multi million pound organization would leave themselves open to it.

They would have something very vague about cancelling a season which will be very much open to legal action. Like must legal actions are. Just because something is written in the t&c o means very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lads what makes the premier league the best league in the world is not players or performers but money

there is no way the people who back the league will agree to karren bradys tripe , waynne rooney is probably right , this will play right into the hands of fifa and the 2020 world cup , the remainder of this season will be replayed in September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Do folk have some sort of direct line to clubs and know their definite intentions? Or have they got a crystal ball?

Maybe clubs might realise this is under no one's control and is bigger than the game itself.

Void the season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Football is propagated under the illusion that each season is important and matters. Its why fans watch; its supposedly why players put in as much effort as they do (idealistically, but realistically its money). If you start to say that seasons don't matter and can be voided to avoid mess / complications in planning (that's not to say football is more important than peoples lives - its not) then you start to chip away at that sense of importance.

There has to be a champion announced - by virtue of the fact that everyone has invested so much time, effort and importance to there being a champion and to each league position and to what happens each season.

And if anyone thinks voiding the season is the most viable option because it offers the fewest complications; and if that is indeed the case, there are, i should imagine, at least 10 clubs who would sue the PL to high heaven if the season was voided (on financial grounds), and 100's of players who are under financial incentive to finish the season who would also sue the PL for such a decision.

Voiding the season thus becomes a lot more complicated and less viable as a result.

I very much doubt the season will be voided. I dont think its nearly as clean and neat a solution as is being purported in this thread.

And yes, i found a thesaurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Baggly wrote: »
    And yes, i found a thesaurus.

I suppose you have to do something on a weekend when there's no soccer. No harm in reading the Thesaurus :pac:

Baggly wrote: »

And if anyone thinks voiding the season is the most viable option because it offers the fewest complications; and if that is indeed the case, there are, i should imagine, at least 10 clubs who would sue the PL to high heaven if the season was voided (on financial grounds), and 100's of players who are under financial incentive to finish the season who would also sue the PL for such a decision.

Voiding the season thus becomes a lot more complicated and less viable as a result.

I very much doubt the season will be voided. I dont think its nearly as clean and neat a solution as is being purported in this thread.

I don't think anyone thinks making the season void it's a straight forward solution. Whatever decision is taken will no doubt result in court cases, as some team will be hard done by.

ozzy jr wrote:
    I don't think anyone thinks making the season void it's a straight forward solution. Whatever decision is taken will no doubt result in court cases, as some team will be hard done by.

I'd say the season will end up played out and other things like the euros will get pushed and or scrapped. Fewer commercial interests and all that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement