Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If the season is voided will Spurs restart with Eriksen and Poch at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

razorblunt wrote: »
    If the season is voided will Spurs restart with Eriksen and Poch at the club?

Marco Silva back you go to Everton.
    Emery I'm sorry but you have to return to Arsenal & Eddie Howe? You are still doing a good enough at Bournemouth to get a job at a big club(granted it's probably a job in catering or maintenance based on the last 7 months).
    Now....who the f**k was at Watford again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I'm fairly sure (more so I presume) that the premier league has provision in the event a game has to be abandoned. Perhaps they will do that, instead of making the league null and void.
    I think if you get 3 players (?) sent off the match is abandoned and recorded as a 3-0 loss. Now that wont work obviously. Anyone know of any examples of a game getting abandoned that couldn't be replayed, what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

sugarman wrote: »
    Legal action against who? You can put your house on the FA having it well covered in their t&c's / contract with clubs when they grant them their licenses. Theres absolutely no way a multi million pound organization would leave themselves open to it.

This is absolutely unprecedented. It could easily not be covered in contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

How about this..

Postpone until September. Finish current season between September and November..

Start next season in January - instead of playing every one else twice, you play them once ...19 games..admittedly half the clubs will have one less home game than others.

Play Champions League as a round of 32 knockout between Jan and May. Seems fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How about this..

Postpone until September. Finish current season between September and November..

Start next season in January - instead of playing every one else twice, you play them once ...19 games..admittedly half the clubs will have one less home game than others.

Play Champions League as a round of 32 knockout between Jan and May. Seems fair.

Finish the 9 games, behind closed doors if necessary over 4/5 weeks if its relatively back to normal in the summer. Scrap the league cup (maybe even the FA Cup for one season and allow for more midweek games if next season kicks off later than August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

How about this..

I think that's a dreadful solution.

How about this..

if you're doing that, they should change to calendar year leagues.

it always irked me that balon d'or and the like were based upon half of 2 competitions.

so if they were willing to do that, you now have 8 months to play around with to get everything finished

PhilipsR wrote: »
    This is absolutely unprecedented. It could easily not be covered in contracts

there's always a catch all in these contracts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm fairly sure (more so I presume) that the premier league has provision in the event a game has to be abandoned. Perhaps they will do that, instead of making the league null and void.
    I think if you get 3 players (?) sent off the match is abandoned and recorded as a 3-0 loss. Now that wont work obviously. Anyone know of any examples of a game getting abandoned that couldn't be replayed, what was the outcome?

The only thing I can recall in terms of a game not being fulfilled was Middlesbrough refusing to travel to Blackburn because of an illness crisis. They said they couldn't play, and were docked three points. They were relegated at the end of the season. Had they showed up and lost, no points would have been deducted and, potentially, they'd have survived.

Of course, you never know what else might have happened had they showed up so its hard to say for definite they'd have stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

there's always a catch all in these contracts

There's no catch all in the rules of the league in terms of what to do in this situation...and that's linked to all the broadcast contracts which governing bodies across Europe seem to be suggesting still have to be fulfilled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If things continue on the same path they currently are will the Premier League or any sporting organisation as we know them still exist when the worst of this is over? What we are witnessing before our eyes is a major upheaval/breakdown to society worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If things continue on the same path they currently are will the Premier League or any sporting organisation as we know them still exist when the worst of this is over? What we are witnessing before our eyes is a major upheaval to society worldwide.

Football survived WW2 so will continue when this crisis is over. Some clubs might not be around unfortunately but things will get back on track at some stage.

Football survived WW2 so will continue when this crisis is over. Some clubs might not be around unfortunately but things will get back on track at some stage.

Maybe maybe not but I can`t see any football or any other sport taking place again for at least a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The last award of the season I'd suspect

Well deserved, best player in the league by a mile in February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe maybe not but I can`t see any football or any other sport taking place again for at least a few years.

At least a few years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

How about this..

And make it Champions of their country's only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Whatever happens, Rooney has made a point that seems to be lost. Players are not machines and the league has a duty of care to their health. Let’s say come September half the EPL players have had the disease and half haven’t, why should players play with greater risk of catching it? There’s more variables then just refixing dates to play it.

• Advertisement

And make it Champions of their country's only

Nobody's going to sign up for that

8-10 wrote: »
    Nobody's going to sign up for that

Id say the majority of European Countries would (bar the Money Leagues)

At least a few years?

Based on what is happening on the continent and is about to come our way then yes on a large scale at least.

Id say the majority of European Countries would (bar the Money Leagues)

No chance, sorry. Won't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool & Dundalk are the only two clubs guaranteed Champions League football so far I think. Open to correction here.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool & Dundalk are the only two clubs guaranteed Champions League football so far I think. Open to correction here.

Belarus Dynamo Brest (1st)
    Sweden Djurgårdens IF (1st)
    Norway Molde (1st)
    Kazakhstan Astana (1st)
    Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol (1st)
    Dundalk (1st)
    Finland KuPS (1st)
    Iceland KR (1st)
    Lithuania Sūduva (1st)
    Latvia Riga FC (1st)
    Estonia Flora (1st)
    Georgia (country) Dinamo Tbilisi (1st)
    Faroe Islands KÍ Klaksvík (1st)
    Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Mouth watering watching Liverpool lock horns with the mighty Sheriff Tiraspol, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Belarus Dynamo Brest (1st)
    Sweden Djurgårdens IF (1st)
    Norway Molde (1st)
    Kazakhstan Astana (1st)
    Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol (1st)
    Dundalk (1st)
    Finland KuPS (1st)
    Iceland KR (1st)
    Lithuania Sūduva (1st)
    Latvia Riga FC (1st)
    Estonia Flora (1st)
    Georgia (country) Dinamo Tbilisi (1st)
    Faroe Islands KÍ Klaksvík (1st)
    Liverpool

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Liverpool have a great chance among that lot.

Roll on number 7.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Liverpool have a great chance among that lot.

Roll on number 7.

They won't qualify if it's champions only :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ozzy jr wrote: »
    They won't qualify if it's champions only :)

They will as defending champions if the season is voided.

They will as defending champions if the season is voided.

Haha, so they will :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see the NBA don't expect to be back to finish their season until mid June.

Seems like they will then put back the start of next season until possibly December.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This season won't get finished as the current situation will go on for months.

Is it legal to declare a team the champions if they have not completed all games. if this goes on till next September for example, what about next season? Is it to be compromised by the current season?

The problem is the current season will likely not have the time to be completed and will end up voided as no team will have crossed the threshold to be declared the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The integrity of the game will be forever ruined if this season is not completed. Forget about future seasons, if anything this needs to get done first.

Wont be for a long time anyway. All speculation now, we have to play the waiting game.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Is it legal to declare a team the champions if they have not completed all games.

I think it's against the law. You could end up in prison for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the suggestions that Leeds & West Brom go up are the most crazy.

Fulham are 6 points behind West Brom & play both teams as well. The seasons across all league have to be finished.

If the season is voided. The season after probably wont start on time anyway. Plenty of lawsuits & clubs going on strike.
    Better to start a season where everyone knows what is happening(i.e half a season & the play offs etc) than voided a season.

ricero wrote: »
    The integrity of the game will be forever ruined if this season is not completed.

Don't be silly, it's exceptional circumstances.

We don't know how long this shut down is going to last. I'm sure everyone involved in the running of the game will want the seasons finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If the season is VOID Arsenal will be the biggest winners,
    Don't forget they finished 5th last year and now City will be suspended ,They will go straight into champions league and all of a sudden have the chance to attract top players ,

United will suffer form another season in the Europa league ,

Liverpool will suffer obviously but in a good position to challenge for the title again ,

Sheffield United will be sick after such a good year but have enough to stay up next year ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Don't forget they finished 5th last year and now City will be suspended ,They will go straight into champions league and all of a sudden have the chance to attract top players ,

Liverpool will suffer obviously but in a good position to challenge for the title again ,

Sheffield United will be sick after such a good year but have enough to stay up next year ,

Arsenal were going to qualify for the UCL this year anyways so it makes no difference to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

MD1990 wrote:
    Fulham are 6 points behind West Brom & play both teams as well. The seasons across all league have to be finished.

Justice for the cottagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quazzie wrote: »
    Arsenal were going to qualify for the UCL this year anyways so it makes no difference to them.

I'm not sure if your serious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well there are plenty of fans here that are making up results, and making assumptions about wins what. It's entirely plausible that given most recent form, Arsenal could claim a top 5 spot. and go through to the UCL. they are only 5 points off 5th with a game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The integrity of the game will be forever ruined if this season is not completed.
    Ah gerroutofthat. Nobody would care within a few months.

No they wont

No they wont

They're already suspended from Europe. Decision on the league won't change that

Ah gerroutofthat. Nobody would care within a few months.

Well, I'd definitely stop purchasing my Panini stickers... they have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The integrity of the game will be forever ruined if this season is not completed. Forget about future seasons, if anything this needs to get done first.

Wont be for a long time anyway. All speculation now, we have to play the waiting game.

not a chance of it. these are exceptional circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Italy propose season splitting as already chatted about on this forum by one or two.
    “If it isn’t possible to bring the leagues to a conclusion, we will opt for other decisions,” Gravina told Radio 1 Rai. “It isn’t ruled out that the current season could be spread out over two different seasons. I understand that there is a lot of curiosity, but today nobody is in a position to say what our future holds.”

Gravina also revealed he will back calls for Euro 2020 to be postponed when representatives of national federations, European leagues and clubs hold an emergency video-conference call on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

talk that the champions league and europa league will be played over a few days with a straight ko to the final from the quarter final onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Its not that far fetched of an idea that Arsenal could have gotten a top 4 spot. They have a game in hand. Win that and they would be two points behind Man Utd, who people reckon had a great shot at a champions league spot.
    Literally half the premier league were in the running for a champions league spot, it’s that tight from Chelsea down. So either the season will have to be finished at a later date or else voided (don’t agree with that though).

• Advertisement

Its not that far fetched of an idea that Arsenal could have gotten a top 4 spot. They have a game in hand. Win that and they would be two points behind Man Utd, who people reckon had a great shot at a champions league spot.
    Literally half the premier league were in the running for a champions league spot, it’s that tight from Chelsea down. So either the season will have to be finished at a later date or else voided (don’t agree with that though).

that was an argument on SSN earlier. If you want to award liverpool the title (without having won it) then you need to extend that logic to the rest of the table. top 4 is top 4, bottom 3 get relegated. thats a non runner IMO. void the lot (extremely unlikely), or finish it in its entirety. The only 2 options that I see as being plausible and fair to all concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement