Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

stesaurus wrote: »
    It's a mess and only seems to be Liverpool fans that don't want to look past their league title to try figure it out.

Liverpool haven't won the league title

The season hasn't concluded yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

No one has any issue with the postponement , its what happens after as a completely separate issue. Once this is over with and the nuts and bolts need to be sorted , its not a "theres a global pandemic , the cheek of you having issue" . The global pandemic is done at that stage.

Lets be honest , theres no reason for people to want the season voided other than fans that want to stop Liverpool winning the league or ones that hope itll help them avoid relegation. Especially Utd fans. With Utd on a good run and Chelsea and Leicester dropping points, literally the only reason for Utd fans to want the season voided is to stop Liverpool.

Blaming United fans is a bit silly.

If the down time before the football can restart is short, I think we'll all welcome the season being continued. If it drags out, a sensible decision will have to be taken.

All the good and bad runs clubs were on are finished now. Momentum is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

And it's not Liverpool fans who have to try figure it out or football fans.
    It'll come down to what the men in suits want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Baggly wrote: »
    You are cherry picking parts of what I have said to make a seemingly flippant set of comments.

I started this discussion by saying of course peoples lives matter. Of course the pandemic is a reason to make adjustments to the season.

But voiding isn't the only option. By a long shot.

But why choose voiding over postponing?

Once we know more about when the dust settles why not just pick up where we left off?

I'm waiting to hear why you think one or the other is better instead of just picking at other people's points tbh.

no matter how you slice it this season is already somewhat ruined. people talk of having a 6 month break and then finishing it. the players are human, and a natural amount of malaise will set in. They will need a preseason.

if they choose this at the expense of next season, I would be of the view that 2 seasons have been ruined. They should pick a cut off, and if the leagues cannot be completed by then, declare all remaining fixtures abandoned.

and if you don't agree a cut-off should be chosen, what about a year down the line and no football played? still finish the season?

at least that way the credibility of the leagues remain, as only 1 season gets ruined, rather than more. people wont lose faith, they will understand there was a global pandemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Since I mentioned Utd, lets continue using them as an example. What reasons would Utd have for not wanting it finished? I dont see an upside for them.

IMO its easier to organise moving/curtailing a season that hasnt started yet rather than the ramifications of ditching one that is 75% done. Play it by ear. See what date it can be restarted and finished then fit next season in to whatever time frame you have left before the Euros. Do something similar to Scotland, split the league. Maybe do everyone plays each other once then split the league.

You'd have to have a European wide agreement to postpone leagues. Otherwise you'd have problems with the Champions league and Europa league starting up on time.

As for not having a champion, it happened in France in 92-93 when Marseille was stripped of the title. No one was awarded the league after that so there is no winner for that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Copa America is postponed till next summer as well.

Maybe this will now have a good knock on effect for the future with all international tournaments taking place at the same times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Kylo Ren wrote:
    I am not cherry picking anything. You asked three questions, I replied to three.

Do you know what a rhetorical question is?

if they choose this at the expense of next season, I would be of the view that 2 seasons have been ruined. They should pick a cut off, and if the leagues cannot be completed by then, declare all remaining fixtures abandoned.

Ok so straight off the bat, I'm Mr VP of Marketing for Coca Cola. Gimme my ad money back.

I'm also head of programming for BT Sport. Gimme my money back.

I'm also any club that bought a player in the past 9 months who either has to hand back cash to the PL to give to the above, or forego next year's money to make up for it.

Now I don't think any of these would happen but anyone who thinks any of the above will do anything that means giving up cash just cause are not, imo, making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No surprise Uefa didnt null and Void euro 2020. They postponed it until the next most suitable time as thats whats fairest and makes the most sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

No surprise Uefa didnt null and Void euro 2020. They postponed it until the next most suitable time as thats whats fairest and makes the most sense.

But the fairest option is to null and void the Premier league because there is always something else making that the fairest option.
    How dare Liverpool fans think that they should complete the league. Typical selfish Liverpool fans as always...

Completely different scenario to the current situation at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

that will always be there for this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Hitchens wrote: »
    that will always be there for this season

I bet when they finish out the season it won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

* greatest season ever

* can I play too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mightyreds wrote: »
    I bet when they finish out the season it won't

Laughable the desperation of certain fans who want the season cancelled. Of course they do.

But it won't be. The leagues will finish and the right decision about the Euros was made today so that will allow that to happen.

You can't start next season without this season finishing and you certainly can't start next season pretending this one didn't happen.

The leagues this season will finish later than usual and next season will start later than usual and may even be shorter and more condensed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll bet next season features a compressed EL/CL format (no two/three week gaps) and no domestic cups. That way even if it is a late start a full home/away season could be completed. Otherwise it could be just 19/23 games in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At the end of the day it's all about the money with those involved in the governance of the game and the broadcasting.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-could-face-mammoth-21692790.amp

Meanwhile Barnet have put everyone on notice of redundancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

At the end of the day it's all about the money with those involved in the governance of the game and the broadcasting.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-could-face-mammoth-21692790.amp

Going to be tough months ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Everything will be ok when the season is voided like it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Going to be tough months ahead.

Only the start of it. I would think that by the start of next season, if there is one, that most non PL clubs will be in crisis mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

monkey9 wrote: »
    Laughable the desperation of certain fans who want the season cancelled. Of course they do.

But it won't be. The leagues will finish and the right decision about the Euros was made today so that will allow that to happen.

You can't start next season without this season finishing and you certainly can't start next season pretending this one didn't happen.

The leagues this season will finish later than usual and next season will start later than usual and may even be shorter and more condensed.

Can we have this line stickied please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Everything will be ok when the season is voided like it never happened.

All monies will be reset along with transfers and manager sackings how else would you void something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Some amount of slimey ***** in here

Regarding the league people claiming one thing or other being the only option are talking absolute bollox.

Let’s see what way the land lies when all this is over.

Que sera Que sera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I suspect this will be the case for quite a few teams. Hard to see leagues being continued if teams have to let go of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

None of us know when our lives will be normal again, sports likewise!

Hitchens wrote: »
    None of us know when our lives will be normal again, sports likewise!

Based on what the Taoiseach just said, I don't think we'll be seeing any sport for quite a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Based on what the Taoiseach just said, I don't think we'll be seeing any sport for quite a while.

No absolutely not.

• redzerdrog wrote: »
    Some amount of slimey ***** in here

Regarding the league people claiming one thing or other being the only option are talking absolute bollox.

Let’s see what way the land lies when all this is over.

Que sera Que sera

Slimy **** from who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Slimy **** from who

Nice edit there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Slimy **** from who

Primarily you as usual but also others

• noodler wrote: »
    Primarily you as usual but also others

Really, go on

Point it out if you have the guile to accuse people

For someone who doesn't give a **** about football st the moment you still have plenty to say the last week

• For someone who doesn't give a **** about football st the moment you still have plenty to say the last week

Like what

Go on lads, Keep spoofing / speculating

Like what

Go on lads, Keep spoofing / speculating

Jaysus Mick u are a bit all over the place tonight editing posts and deleting others,gas man

• Jaysus Mick u are a bit all over the place tonight editing posts and deleting others,gas man

Ah so you deflecting

As expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Only the start of it. I would think that by the start of next season, if there is one, that most non PL clubs will be in crisis mode.

I would think most of the championship would be relatively ok. After that you have a fairly varied mix and thats where you'll likely see clubs really struggling.

Unless pretty much everyone at certain clubs either get laid off or agree to not get paid for a while.

They have no obligation too and may not be allowed to but it'd be good to see the big clubs contribute to a pot to keep the smaller ticking over. Just to cover the bare essentials to keep the clubs from folding. Although its most likely not workable because how far down the pyramid do you go?

• Slimy **** from who

Let's wait for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

will be very sweet when Liverpool lift the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

MD1990 wrote: »
    will be very sweet when Liverpool lift the league.

Even sweeter now I think, if that was possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool will be crowned league champions, deservedly so, but there'll be a asterisk next to their name in years to come because it'll be an incomplete season. They won't finish this season. /guess, but this thing is going to run well into summer and depends on how crass the league will want to appear if they play on, behind closed doors while thousands are dying.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hard to not be biased as a Liverpool supporter but the asterix stuff next to their name is a mystery. I get the point about the season being unfinished but surely the asterix stuff is more relevant to other positions in the Premier League and Championship. It even gives me a chuckle to think about Liverpool not winning the league this season.. but the asterix next to their name will mean zip to anyone within a few weeks.

Hard to not be biased as a Liverpool supporter but the asterix stuff next to their name is a mystery. I get the point about the season being unfinished but surely the asterix stuff is more relevant to other positions in the Premier League and Championship. It even gives me a chuckle to think about Liverpool not winning the league this season.. but the asterix next to their name will mean zip to anyone within a few weeks.

It shouldn't mean anything to anyone, they have the league won for weeks, but it obviously will be used as a stick to beat opposition fans with, that's just football.

It shouldn't mean anything to anyone, they have the league won for weeks, but it obviously will be used as a stick to beat opposition fans with, that's just football.

Oh of course. I said it in another thread, I would be ****ting bricks with excitement if this was City or United in focus.

Oh of course. I said it in another thread, I would be ****ting bricks with excitement if this was City or United in focus.

It'd be better if they could find some way to just play the couple of games needed to get them over the line. (maybe only one game required) and say that's that. Wouldn't matter as much if league wasn't completed, they'd be indisputable champions. Their season merits it.

• Advertisement

It'd be better if they could find some way to just play the couple of games needed to get them over the line. (maybe only one game required) and say that's that. Their season merits it.

2 games behind closed doors would solve that.

As I said, it's the CL, relegation and promotion positions that are the real challenge. And ultimately where the asterix would exist if the season was to be prematurely terminated.

Probably not logistically workable and not going to happen anyway, but hypothetically ,say the pl hired out 20 big hotels and put each club and associated staff and their families in them along with skeleton hotel staff (possibly only need maintenance staff as club staff could do everything else) , then did similar with whatever minimal staff needed to run behind closed doors games in the grounds and tv (probably not needed with them because I'm sure players and staff could be kept well away from the people running the stadium) , could they not resume potentially resume after 2 weeks of all of these people being isolated together and only mixing with each other for a month or 6 weeks?

Would only really be financially feasible for the top division in the top leagues, but at least we'd have football to watch :)

Then I could have my wish of WC style schedule of 3 games a day, spread out to cover most of the day, for a few weeks while isolation is on for the rest of us. Then back to netflix/prime/Disney plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Probably not logistically workable and not going to happen anyway, but hypothetically ,say the pl hired out 20 big hotels and put each club and associated staff and their families in them along with skeleton hotel staff (possibly only need maintenance staff as club staff could do everything else) , then did similar with whatever minimal staff needed to run behind closed doors games in the grounds and tv (probably not needed with them because I'm sure players and staff could be kept well away from the people running the stadium) , could they not resume potentially resume after 2 weeks of all of these people being isolated together and only mixing with each other for a month or 6 weeks?

Would only really be financially feasible for the top division in the top leagues, but at least we'd have football to watch :)

Then I could have my wish of WC style schedule of 3 games a day, spread out to cover most of the day, for a few weeks while isolation is on for the rest of us. Then back to netflix/prime/Disney plus.

I have seen numerous reports of footballers complaining of being used as guinea pigs and not being protected.,definitely Rooney is one report read. The suggestion above is probably only viable for the PL and still putting people in undue risk. But as has always been the issue, it doesn’t assist the lower leagues.

The fans and their wishes are of least importance no matter how bad we want a conclusion.

joeguevara wrote: »
    . But as has always been the issue, it doesn’t assist the lower leagues.

The fans and their wishes are of least importance no matter how bad we want a conclusion.

The lower leagues are in trouble. Depending on how long it goes on, they are going to need financial help.

Is the money in the fa to do it though?

A lot of variables across the clubs and all will be different distances from the edge. Wonder how it will play out if clubs do need bail outs. Will there be a consensus on it or will clubs that have money kick up and be resentful at what they see as less well run clubs getting money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The lower leagues are in trouble. Depending on how long it goes on, they are going to need financial help.

Is the money in the fa to do it though?

As was pointed out to me, this is not the FA issue. For instance the PL is a separate entity with shares owned by each club. Relegated clubs transfer shares to promoted. It is presumably the same for every league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement