Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The 3 divisions are run by the efl . I'm wondering what sort of cash reserves they'd have though. 3the national league will presumably struggle badly.

I cant imaging the fa can stand idly by as numerous clubs go out of business because of this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I find it laughable at this stage, that there is so much discussion about how this season in completed.
    Finish it now. League places as it stands and start new season when it's safe to do so.
    The British government is bailing out industry to the tune of billions. I'm sure something could be done for struggling clubs to keep them afloat.
    Will it be worth a single life to keep the league going. How will fans feel when they turn up to stadia for memorial services for players, managers,coaches rather than football matches.

It's probably a legal minefield to cancel a season. That's why they'd want to finish it.

But yes, the health of people's should be come first, but I think they'll want to to finish it even if that means impacting next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I find it laughable at this stage, that there is so much discussion about how this season in completed.
    Finish it now. League places as it stands and start new season when it's safe to do so.
    The British government is bailing out industry to the tune of billions. I'm sure something could be done for struggling clubs to keep them afloat.
    Will it be worth a single life to keep the league going. How will fans feel when they turn up to stadia for memorial services for players, managers,coaches rather than football matches.

I think you’ve perhaps missed the point of what people have been saying. Absolutely no-one thinks there should be games before it’s totally safe to do so.

All of the discussion is completely in agreement that the football is off for as long as it needs to be, be-it 3 months, or 13 months.

The question is what then. Some want to restart, some want to continue from where we left off. I side with the latter, because why not? Calendars in bits anyway, and actually needs to be restructured entirely soon with a winter World Cup coming up, so theres literally no better time to carry on where they left off when the time comes, and figure out the longer term schedule from there. We’ve an infinity of time in the future for football to be played, so no need to go worrying too much about what month a season starts or finishes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Liverpool will be crowned league champions, deservedly so, but there'll be a asterisk next to their name in years to come because it'll be an incomplete season. They won't finish this season. /guess, but this thing is going to run well into summer and depends on how crass the league will want to appear if they play on, behind closed doors while thousands are dying.

Crass? Genuinely think football being played (if safe and controlled) would be a great thing.

People are going to need something to cling to during this and football would provide a sliver of normality and occupy people's minds a small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

£2m from each of the premier league clubs contributed to the clubs in lg2/lg1 would remove all financial issues caused by this crisis and would hardly be missed.

Probably even enough there to sort out some non-league sides and bump up some championship sides that are running on fumes.

A drop in the ocean for them, but somehow I don't think they'll see it that way.

I know they will have their own problems now with the crisis but there is enough money floating around at the top of football to make these sacrifices, if the appetite was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The 3 divisions are run by the efl . I'm wondering what sort of cash reserves they'd have though. 3the national league will presumably struggle badly.

I cant imaging the fa can stand idly by as numerous clubs go out of business because of this though.

You'd hope they wouldn't stand idly by, being the "guardians of the national game", but that's exactly what they did with the collapse of itv digital that nearly destroyed the football league.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Crass? Genuinely think football being played (if safe and controlled) would be a great thing.

People are going to need something to cling to during this and football would provide a sliver of normality and occupy people's minds a small bit.

Although football is important for so many people, footballers are not objects for fans enjoyment. They should not be put at risk so people’s minds are occupied. No way it could be safe and controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Hard to not be biased as a Liverpool supporter but the asterix stuff next to their name is a mystery. I get the point about the season being unfinished but surely the asterix stuff is more relevant to other positions in the Premier League and Championship. It even gives me a chuckle to think about Liverpool not winning the league this season.. but the asterix next to their name will mean zip to anyone within a few weeks.

if it does come to that, the asterisk will mean liverpool were awarded the league rather than winning it

Probably not logistically workable and not going to happen anyway, but hypothetically ,say the pl hired out 20 big hotels and put each club and associated staff and their families in them along with skeleton hotel staff (possibly only need maintenance staff as club staff could do everything else) , then did similar with whatever minimal staff needed to run behind closed doors games in the grounds and tv (probably not needed with them because I'm sure players and staff could be kept well away from the people running the stadium) , could they not resume potentially resume after 2 weeks of all of these people being isolated together and only mixing with each other for a month or 6 weeks?

Would only really be financially feasible for the top division in the top leagues, but at least we'd have football to watch :)

Then I could have my wish of WC style schedule of 3 games a day, spread out to cover most of the day, for a few weeks while isolation is on for the rest of us. Then back to netflix/prime/Disney plus.

in a few weeks the uk might have a call to arms and call doctors to the front line. interesting question that is actually. can they? i suppose if they need to do that the virus will have gotten completely out of control with many 10's of thousands infected/dying.

• Advertisement

The lower leagues are in trouble. Depending on how long it goes on, they are going to need financial help.

Is the money in the fa to do it though?

A lot of variables across the clubs and all will be different distances from the edge. Wonder how it will play out if clubs do need bail outs. Will there be a consensus on it or will clubs that have money kick up and be resentful at what they see as less well run clubs getting money.

is utd the only publicly traded company in the PL? whatever about other clubs, utd would need the go ahead from the shareholders. they just dont have an owner that can do as they please. Hmm, maybe thats exactly what utd have?
    i think i heard ages ago that clubs are not allowed offer assistance to other clubs. could have been around the time (whatever club) was in financial distress.

if it does come to that, the asterisk will mean liverpool were awarded the league rather than winning it

Unbearable Asterix champions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

is utd the only publicly traded company in the PL? whatever about other clubs, utd would need the go ahead from the shareholders. they just dont have an owner that can do as they please. Hmm, maybe thats exactly what utd have?
    i think i heard ages ago that clubs are not allowed offer assistance to other clubs. could have been around the time (whatever club) was in financial distress.

Only 10% of Utd is traded and none of those shares have voting rights. They most definitely do have an owner who can do as they please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They let Bury go to the wall and Bolton came close to it. Different circumstances obviously. Actually it was the EFL not the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Let's wait for this one

I wouldn't accuse anyone of anything but if I had to hazard a guess then I'd say he may possibly have been talking about brinty.

• redzerdrog wrote: »
    Some amount of slimey ***** in here

Regarding the league people claiming one thing or other being the only option are talking absolute bollox.

Let’s see what way the land lies when all this is over.

Que sera Que sera
    noodler wrote: »
    Primarily you as usual but also others
    For someone who doesn't give a **** about football st the moment you still have plenty to say the last week
    I wouldn't accuse anyone of anything but if I had to hazard a guess then I'd say he may possibly have been talking about brinty.

Thanks Potential Underachiever

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting answers from them. Allowed to attack posters it seems and when called on the bull**** they hide. They probably had too many paddys day cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FA confirms completion of domestic season is its priority even if it goes deep into summer

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1240044438459748354?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This was lost in the announcement that Sky aren't charging pubs for now.
    Residential customers can pause their subscription to sports too.
    You have to ring them as they are yet to add an online option to do it.

Clickbait again, notice in the link that "if possible" was left out. That's an important couple of words.
    Posters getting all excited over something we already know.
    The EPL are holding a meeting tomorrow so it's just guesswork and made up scenarios until then and even after that who knows. It's all down to this virus and government now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It is unlikely the virus will suddenly go for the league to start on time for 20/21.

So this season might as well get finished whenever possible 3 months,6 months or even a years time.

Finishing the season is the only option & fairest way to decide this.
    You cant give Liverpool the title yet,cant promote clubs or void a season with 29 games played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is unlikely the virus will suddenly go for the league to start on time for 20/21.

So this season might as well get finished whenever possible 3 months,6 months or even a years time.

You cant give Liverpool the title yet,cant promote clubs or void a season with 29 games played.

It's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

MD1990 wrote: »

Finishing the season is the only option

Take off the rose tinted glasses for a minute. After all the speculation on twitter etc, various threads here, numerous articles and pundits opinions over the last few weeks, you still think that’s the only option? Do you take stock of anything that’s been said by anyone other then what you want to believe?

ozzy jr wrote: »
    It's not.

realistically it is.

Teams can just on strike & sue. Very simple.

Everyone in the media has come to this realisation bar Gary Neville.
    Most important for teams work during teh season to be rewarded & then start a reduced season next year if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Clickbait again, notice in the link that "if possible" was left out. That's an important couple of words.
    Posters getting all excited over something we already know.
    The EPL are holding a meeting tomorrow so it's just guesswork and made up scenarios until then and even after that who knows. It's all down to this virus and government now.

You are the biggest clickbait poster on the forum so you should know.

Take off the rose tinted glasses for a minute. After all the speculation on twitter etc, various threads here, numerous articles and pundits opinions over the last few weeks, you still think that’s the only option? Do you take stock of anything that’s been said by anyone other then what you want to believe?

Dont know why u keep replying to me. I dont care about your opinion.

• Advertisement

You are the biggest clickbait poster on the forum so you should know.

Would you care to elaborate on that or just fire out a cheap thanks whoring dig like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MD1990 wrote:

Christ are you that desperate for a title.

The only option & fairest way.

Do you know how pathetic that sounds

People are dying and there's a global health pandemic and all you can prattle on about is this

15,000 people will be infected with this virus by the end of this month in Ireland alone

But yep the only option and fairest way of settling something so insignificant as football is all you talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Would you relax. If you want to wallow in despair, there are fora and threads for that. This is a thread for this years PL. Why wouldnt we discuss how the league finishes.

MD1990 wrote:
    Dont know why u keep replying to me. I dont care about your opinion.

It's a public forum, people generally debate on them.

I think it all comes down to what penalty clauses and clawback there is from tv contracts which will determine how this plays out.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »

People are dying and there's a global health pandemic and all you can prattle on about is this

15,000 people will be infected with this virus by the end of this month in Ireland alone

But yep the only option and fairest way of settling something so insignificant as football is all you talk about.
    Some very cheap shots but I am not suprised:rolleyes:

General Premier League Thread is the title of the thread.

Ive been posting about the virus for months & hoping for a lockdown.

I want Liverpool to be given a chance to win the league when it is safe to do so.

What's pathetic is your post above as if all I want is Liverpool to win the league even if it costs life's.
    Are you accusing me of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This is the soccer forum. Hop off your high horse. If you don't want to discuss football, why are you in a thread discussing football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm not one for conspiracies but covid-19 is an anagram of void c-19. If c=championship and 19 is the number of titles Liverpool would have should they be crowned champions.....it's the Illuminati

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think it all comes down to what penalty clauses and clawback there is from tv contracts which will determine how this plays out.

The broadcasters will have a huge say in this. I suppose we'll find out more tomorrow but I expect a postponement to be put in place with a further review the end of April.

I find it amazing that so people (not you in particular) beat this drum but then talk about a shortened season next year, with no cups and straight knock outs etc. if the tv company’s have as much say as people here think they do over the Premier League, why would they be up in arms at this season not finishing (from a revenue point of view) but accept next year only getting half a season?

Yes why would someone continue to debate with him when I dont care what they say.
    Just telling him how it is saves him from keep replying within 5 mins of when I post.

I'm not one for conspiracies but covid-19 is an anagram of void c-19. If c=championship and 19 is the number of titles Liverpool would have should they be crowned champions.....it's the Illuminati

Those damn Illuminati overlords ruining things for Liverpool

I mean I've heard worse conspiracy theories

I find it amazing that so people (not you in particular) beat this drum but then talk about a shortened season next year with no cups and straight knock outs etc. if the tv company’s have as much say as people here think they do over the Premier League why would they be up in arms at this season not finishing (from a revenue point of view) but accept next year only getting half a season?

I never said that they would. I said many times that they would want the most recent and would probably mean that they would want a new season as quickly as possible as more subscribers. Many whose teams are not in a competing position would delay their subscription until a clean slate. But nobody here has a clue on the financial realities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You're doing a lot of talking about it yourself fella, not very well either I might add.

MD1990 wrote:
    Yes why would someone continue to debate with him when I dont care what they say. Just telling him how it is saves him from keep replying within 5 mins of when I post.

They care what you say. They have a right to reply. Are you saying they're not entitled to their rights.

As I said it's public forum for debate, people will respond if they want, even if you don't want them to or care about their response

If you're that uninterested why did you respond? cos it's clearly getting to you

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It really is an absolute cluster ****.

I would be in favor of finishing the leagues and CL/EL if possible and safe. I just can't see how that will be the case anytime soon.

If its's unsafe now it's definitely not going to be safe in 4/6/8 weeks when the virus is at it's peak (according to estimates).

I'm not sure you can go about finishing the season behind closed doors because things like Liverpool winning the league, Leeds winning promotion or whichever club wins the CL will only lead to large crowds gathering in areas outside stadiums or other places.

There no way pool are gonna win their first league in 30 years and their fans sit at home and celebrate. Honestly don't know what the answer is here bar waiting for the peak of the virus to pass, taking stock and then moving forward.

If it's closer to August/September then the likelihood the current season is voided grows more and more imo

If it gets to September and it's still not safe then we have bigger issues.

You might want to break that scoop - could get you a pulitzer. :rolleyes:

Do you know how pathetic and completely disingenuous you come across?

Of course the current season (as much as that may stick in your throat) can be finished. It's the logical thing, unless you think football should be banned forever ? You don't hate Liverpool that much, to consider such... do you?

You're applying that term very loosely

They care what you say. They have a right to reply. Are you saying they're not entitled to their rights.

As I said it's public forum for debate, people will respond if they want, even if you don't want them to or care about their response

If you're that uninterested why did you respond? cos it's clearly getting to you

Just giving him a heads up. Seems a bit obsessed tbh.
    Your the one who keeps bringing it up which is odd.
    Your answering questions for me now,accusing me of wanting Liverpool to win the league at the expense of people's lives. Still no response to that.

You have called some pathetic on here.
    I suggest go have a look in the mirror & see what is looking back.

The irony in your posting is quite incredible. Go outside for a walk Id suggest.

I never said that they would. I said many times that they would want the most recent and would probably mean that they would want a new season as quickly as possible as more subscribers. Many whose teams are not in a competing position would delay their subscription until a clean slate. But nobody here has a clue on the financial realities.

As I said. Not just you. I’m intrigued tho that they might fight tooth and nail to save this season but then not take issue with a shortened season next year Etc? That’s 2 hits in viewers rather then 1. I think the tv company’s won’t be that high on the FA/Premier leagues lists of worries if all the clubs are circling the wagons to sue if this season gets voided

If it gets to September and it's still not safe then we have bigger issues.

Agreed. As the very quotable Klopp has said, 'Football is the most important of the unimportant things.'

But, the current league needs to take up whenever football begins even if that's in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

If finishing the season effects next season, and causes further fixture congestion - i don't see it as the logical thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone who plays the "people are dying" card should just give us and themselves a break and exit this forum for a while. Come back when there's some actual news.

ShamoBuc wrote:
    not very well either I might add.

That's like your opinion man

• Advertisement

MurDawg wrote: »
    If finishing the season effects next season, and causes further fixture congestion - i don't see it as the logical thing to do.

:confused: More so than voiding an entire season?!? I can't think of anything more bizarre, considering an infinity of time to resolve things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement