Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

brinty wrote: »
    They care what you say. They have a right to reply. Are you saying they're not entitled to their rights.

As I said it's public forum for debate, people will respond if they want, even if you don't want them to or care about their response

If you're that uninterested why did you respond? cos it's clearly getting to you

Weren't you the poster that spoke on behalf of everyone and said we didn't want to see the alternative table? That was rightly shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MD1990 wrote:
    I suggest go have a look in the mirror & see what is looking back.

I took your advice, I was pretty impressed by what was looking back if I was being honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

MD1990 wrote: »
    realistically it is.

It isn't.

Option 1: Play out the current season when it's safe to do so.

Option 2: Finish the season without playing another game and award titles/promotion/relegation based on current positions.

Option 3: Void the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I took your advice, I was pretty impressed by what was looking back if I was being honest

What`s the old saying? "Self praise is no praise."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

ozzy jr wrote: »
    It isn't.

Option 1: Play out the current season when it's safe to do so.

Option 2: Finish the season without playing another game and award titles/promotion/relegation based on current positions.

Option 3: Void the season.

The season after will be on hold.
    Teams can strike & sue the leagues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's like your opinion man

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Well done you.

But they are still options.

You are wearing the face mask
    Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Majority of teams have no reason to strike so why would they. Suing is an option but as exceptional circumstances is a risk. Also it comes down to revenue.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Majority of teams have no reason to strike so why would they. Suing is an option but as exceptional circumstances is a risk. Also it comes down to revenue.
    Leicester,Liverpool,Leeds,Sheffield Utd & all the rest of the promotion clubs with a chance to make top 6 in League 1-2 etc would.

Anyway no real season to continuing arguing about it will just have to see what happens in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone who plays the "people are dying" card should just give us and themselves a break and exit this forum for a while. Come back when there's some actual news.

Weren't you the poster who advocated mass infection so footballers could develop an immunity to get the football restarted asap?
    I suppose the "people are dying card" must be low on your priorities.
    Even the most rabid Liverpool fans were baulking at that crazy notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

These major decisions for football can only be made when we’re all clear and the world starts turning again. Until then associations should sit tight like the rest of us.
    Anyone calling for the season to be null & voided at this uncertain stage is a fool. And even if it takes months I still think finish the current season then plan accordingly.

I’m a Utd fan by the way who died a little week by week as Liverpool’s points gap widened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nunu wrote: »
    These major decisions for football can only be made when we’re all clear and the world starts turning again. Until then associations should sit tight like the rest of us.
    Anyone calling for the season to be null & voided at this uncertain stage is a fool. And even if it takes months I still think finish the current season then plan accordingly.

I’m a Utd fan by the way who died a little week by week as Liverpool’s points gap widened.

the associaions can't just sit tight.

They have to be in planning mode now, and they have to be adjusting their plans on a daily basis as things change.

How can they feasibly fit in all the games, it's okay for example Liverpool to say they've only 9 games to fit in but the likes of City or United could in theory have up to 20 games with European and domestic cup games to fulfill.

How can they feasibly fit in all the games, it's okay for example Liverpool to say they've only 9 games to fit in but the likes of City or United could in theory have up to 20 games with European and domestic cup games to fulfill.

It is probably safe to assume that cup games are not going to be played as largely irrelevant. As for European most borders are closed and will only reopen when a buffer is met. The impact of not playing is pretty low as has no long term effects as opposed to national leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

It is probably safe to assume that cup games are not going to be played as largely irrelevant. As for European most borders are closed and will only reopen when a buffer is met. The impact of not playing is pretty low as has no long term effects as opposed to national leagues.

Hardly irrelevant to the lower placed teams... chance in qualifying for Europe

Edit: Prize Money and gate receipts in FA cup later rounds would be quite a decent chunk for a team such as Norwich

MurDawg wrote: »
    Hardly irrelevant to the lower placed teams... chance in qualifying for Europe

Hence I said largely irrelevant. Norwich and Newcastle aside, all other teams are in Europe qualifying positions as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Everyone major league in Europe has said there priority is finishing this current season. That's 99% likely to happen and even football hasn't been played in September it's still 99% likely to happen. People just need to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Hence I said largely irrelevant. Norwich and Newcastle aside, all other teams are in Europe qualifying positions as far as I remember.

I'd assume sheffield united would need it as well.

So close to 50%. It's a similar argument for them wanting the cup continued to anyone wanting the league continued. Some want it, some don't. It's all down to bias at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weren't you the poster who advocated mass infection so footballers could develop an immunity to get the football restarted asap?
    I suppose the "people are dying card" must be low on your priorities.
    Even the most rabid Liverpool fans were baulking at that crazy notion.

I actually suggested that known healthy players (ie no conditions) be isolated and infected. So they would then be clear after a period of weeks.

No sooner had I posted that players started coming down with it anyway (infecting plenty of others outside the game of course) so the moment had passed.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    Everyone major league in Europe has said there priority is finishing this current season. That's 99% likely to happen and even football hasn't been played in September it's still 99% likely to happen. People just need to accept it.

Yeah don't see the big deal in finishing it. Not completing it would be legal nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Or we could all just wait for a decision to be made for definite.

I think we're looking at May sometime for beginning to return to normality if China's timeline is anything to go by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

8-10 wrote: »
    Or we could all just wait for a decision to be made for definite.

I think we're looking at May sometime for beginning to return to normality if China's timeline is anything to go by

Its the only thing for us to discuss though :D

I'd assume sheffield united would need it as well.

So close to 50%. It's a similar argument for them wanting the cup continued to anyone wanting the league continued. Some want it, some don't. It's all down to bias at the end of the day.

Agreed. But impact of league is far greater than Uefa cup qualifying. But it all matters.

Funny how ManU fans are split on finishing the league. They were in a pretty strong position for top 4.

I'd say the club itself would want it finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard to see anything get go ahead before mid to late June at best.

Hopefully its much sooner but could be even be much later.

It's going **** up so much this between sport and life.

At least the Euros have been postponed although the UEFA attitude will mean clubs go bust around Europe

Clubs will definitely go bust. Be interesting see if any premier league clubs do. Bound to be a few skating on thin ice financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Edit: Prize Money and gate receipts in FA cup later rounds would be quite a decent chunk for a team such as Norwich

It would be nearly irrelevant in comparison to the broadcasting money.

Norwich would be fine if they didn't get the FA Cup money. They'd be in serious trouble if they didn't get the TV money for this season.

If the league does get completed, I would imagine it will be behind closed doors or very restricted stadiums.

The clubs will be able to play long before the government are happy with 50k people in a stadium.

There is the real possibility that spectating football live could be effectively off limits for 18months, til a vaccine is available. We could go back to some level of normalcy long before huge mass gatherings are allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I could see the league cup and possibly the FA Cup being erased for a year to make way for extra games.

Long way off that, but somthing will have to give if league and Europe is top priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

6 wrote: »
    Funny how ManU fans are split on finishing the league. They were in a pretty strong position for top 4.

I'd say the club itself would want it finished.

Honestly now, hand on heart, if Utd were in bottom 3 I’d want it finished. Null & Void is the nuclear option.

I could see the league cup and possibly the FA Cup being erased for a year to make way for extra games.

Long way off that, but somthing will have to give if league and Europe is top priority

Combine the League and FA cup into one competition for one year - winner takes all. One leg per round.

Theoretically a non league team could win the League cup, but in reality that's lotto odds.

People are focusing on domestic games,in my op I also included European games. They have to be factored in and I included them in my figure of 20 odd games for some clubs (depending on winning them of course)

Behind closed doors would pose a problem,when Lask played United, about 1000 fans travelled anyway and congregated outside the stadium where there was actually a view in.
    Imagine if Liverpool were playing and it was the deciding game to clinch the title,is anyone saying that thousands of fans wouldn't take to the streets even if the stadium is empty?
    It's easy now to stop fans crossing borders but domestically it's a nightmare.

People are focusing on domestic games,in my op I also included European games. They have to be factored in and I included them in my figure of 20 odd games for some clubs (depending on winning them of course)

Behind closed doors would pose a problem,when Lask played United, about 1000 fans travelled anyway and congregated outside the stadium where there was actually a view in.
    Imagine if Liverpool were playing and it was the deciding game to clinch the title,is anyone saying that thousands of fans wouldn't take to the streets even if the stadium is empty?
    It's easy now to stop fans crossing borders but domestically it's a nightmare.

An issue with the LASK game, as an example, is that it was called as being behind closed doors very late. People had tickets, and more importantly, flights and accomodation booked and paid for. In such circumstances people were going to travel. I think I remember people leaving the day before the game (or maybe 2 days), not knowing what the situation was.

If you know that the season will play out behind closed doors, then the organizing and policing of it as such becomes a bit easier.

The issue will always remain to some extent. If Liverpool win the league behind closed doors, you will be hard pressed to stop liverpool fans from congregating at Melwood, or Anfield, to celebrate. And I'm not saying that in terms of 'scousers will scouse', but in terms of stopping fans from celebrating a trophy, especially the PL trophy for Liverpool, would be very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

An issue with the LASK game, as an example, is that it was called as being behind closed doors very late. People had tickets, and more importantly, flights and accomodation booked and paid for. In such circumstances people were going to travel. I think I remember people leaving the day before the game (or maybe 2 days), not knowing what the situation was.

If you know that the season will play out behind closed doors, then the organizing and policing of it as such becomes a bit easier.

The issue will always remain to some extent. If Liverpool win the league behind closed doors, you will be hard pressed to stop liverpool fans from congregating at Melwood, or Anfield, to celebrate. And I'm not saying that in terms of 'scousers will scouse', but in terms of stopping fans from celebrating a trophy, especially the PL trophy for Liverpool, would be very tough.

sports events are not being supported by policing in the UK until further notice

• Advertisement

sports events are not being supported by policing in the UK until further notice

That means no football so.

Yes. Right now.

When sports do come back, it will be in conjunction with government advice and policy, and with policing procedures (as they have always had).

Not being supported right now is of no relevance at all.

Winning the Europa Cup carries the same level of importance as finishing in the top 4.

If the season is to be continued, every competition needs to be finished or what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Yes. Right now.

When sports do come back, it will be in conjunction with government advice and policy, and with policing procedures (as they have always had).

Not being supported right now is of no relevance at all.

agree. was responding to someone who said the league can be finished behind closed doors and the police will take care of the rest.

so i guess my point was more that if the PL decide to finish behind closed doors against the advice of the proper authorities.

Winning the Europa Cup carries the same level of importance as finishing in the top 4.

If the season is to be continued, every competition needs to be finished or what's the point?

The euros have been postponed, the domestic leagues have been prioritised.

The domestic leagues are the reason football exists, the cup competitions (incl. the FA cup Man United discarded as irrelevant*) are nice, but not fundamental.

*actually, ask Alex Ferguson this question.

• Advertisement

I completely agree. But was making the point that cross border European competitions are so unlikely to continue as a given. But European competition is not what is being discussed as it is a premier league thread.

As I have said many times I believe continuation of leagues is an unlikely outcome but I hope I’m wrong.

The euros have been postponed, the domestic leagues have been prioritised.

The domestic leagues are the reason football exists, the cup competitions (incl. the FA cup Man United discarded as irrelevant*) are nice, but not fundamental.

*actually, ask Alex Ferguson this question.

Correction, Manchester United didn't discard the FA Cup,they were forced to by the FA.
    If you are going to throw in a dig,at least have the facts to back it up.
    Are you also saying that the biggest club cup competition in world football is irrelevant along with the Europa League?
    It smacks of "ah sure,we didn't want to win them anyway" from a fan who's club is no longer participating in them.

Correction, Manchester United didn't discard the FA Cup,they were forced to by the FA.
    Are you also saying that the biggest club cup competition in world football is irrelevant along with the Europa League?
    It smacks of "ah sure,we didn't want to win them anyway" from a fan who's club is no longer participating in them.

the FA Cup is no longer that relevant & certaintly not the biggest club club that would the Club World Cup trophy that everyone takes seriously unlike the FA Cup.

The FACT is that they withdrew before the season even started. Did Liverpool withdraw - no they didn't. My understanding is that Alex thought it would involve too many games. My reading of it was that they didn't rate it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/02/ferguson-regret-fa-cup

Man Utd withdrew from the FA Cup to play in the CWC to help FA's WC bid.

They were not forced by the FA but advised it was their decision. I dont blame them but the FA Cup is no longer relevant at all only for one league & lower league clubs.
    Man Utd just were not good enough to win the CWC at that time.

They were not forced by the FA but advised it was their decision. I dont blame them but the FA Cup is no longer relevant at all only for one league & lower league clubs.

To be fair, it's good to give game time to your number 2 goalie, fringe and under age players, so not TOTALLY useless.

Ah jaysus, this thread is falling apart.

Yet people on the forum keep quoting the FA regarding what happens with the league, they've no pull over that.

Ah jaysus, this thread is falling apart.

It only seems that way when you're losing the debate :P;)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/andros-townsend-sends-message-premier-21714966
    So one way or another the season has to finish, whether it’s in May or June, or later in September, October or November.”

So apart from Karen Brady,Gary Neville & Aston Villa.

Everyone else I have seen says the season has to be finished.
    Looks like there will no question it will be finished sometime over the next 6-9 months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement