Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It only seems that way when you're losing the debate :P;)

No, it's some how turned into Alex Fergusons fault.

If the season is to be completed (and most of us hope it is), then it needs to be completely completed, not just picking and choosing the competitions that suit certain clubs.

There's posters on here that are up in arms when people say the season should/could be voided, but yet their happy to see the cups voided.

Work that one out :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was once the Top Four, Then it became The Big Six so is it The Might Eight now?

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal, Leicester City & Wolves

Everton close behind that could make it The Fine Nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yet people on the forum keep quoting the FA regarding what happens with the league, they've no pull over that.

I’m not sure if it’s as clear cut as that. You are correct that the FA have no input into the day to day running of the league, any change in rules or any regulatory decision must be ratified by the FA. As yet, we have never seen that really tested, but in the cases opined, if FA ratified, they are the decision maker and have nexus to legal challenge.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    No, it's some how turned into Alex Fergusons fault.

If the season is to be completed (and most of us hope it is), then it needs to be completely completed, not just picking and choosing the competitions that suit certain clubs.

There's posters on here that are up in arms when people say the season should/could be voided, but yet their happy to see the cups voided.

Work that one out :o

By all means get the cup comps completed (I'd say the Champions/Europa League could be run off over a few weeks for example), but the league has to take priority over the cup games. But, I don't see why they wouldn't get completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It was once the Top Four, Then it became The Big Six so is it The Might Eight now?

Come on man you are better than that.

Great eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal, Leicester City & Wolves

Everton close behind that could make it The Fine Nine.

It's a big 2 and the rest

but the league has to take priority over the cup games.

No it doesn't.

8-10 wrote: »
    It's a big 2 and the rest

When's the last time you looked at the league table? (and you should know better).

It's the Numero Uno and the also rans.*

*This might also be the name of my next band :pac:

No it doesn't.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good man, some say there's a bit of despair in the air, but not when there's one liners like that being made. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks Potential Underachiever

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting answers from them. Allowed to attack posters it seems and when called on the bull**** they hide. They probably had too many paddys day cans.

Just sick of your constant ****e tbh.

Baggly wrote: »
    Come on man you are better than that.

Great eight.

I actually did think of it however this kept popping into my head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

noodler wrote: »

And yet you're not of the shíte like the above about the infallible Liverpool. Wonder why?

But don't worry. There's no way United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. could ever do anything to catch up to them. What a dynasty...

Liam O wrote: »
    And yet you're not of the shíte like the above about the infallible Liverpool. Wonder why?

But don't worry. There's no way United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. could ever do anything to catch up to them. What a dynasty...

Come back to me when whoever you reference above creeps about thanking any post directed against Liverpool posters.

No it doesn't.

Promotion to the EPL has been estimated to be as high as 170m.

Pretty **** for teams who get relegated too.

Nevermind the CL revenue from top four.

No cup competition carries that kind of financial weight

• noodler wrote: »

Sober yet?

You are embarrassing yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

MD1990 wrote: »

Bored, so I actually did read a Daily Mail article for a change.

They quote him as a Football Finance Expert... he's a lecturer in a Sheffield University.

He makes some valid and obvious points about potential legal/commercial implications if the season was void. But on the other hand he mentions cancelling less important cups down the line... as if there are no commercial agreements for these in place for these as it stands. There will be implications in any outcome.

I gave up reading at:

'If they need them to play through to, say, August 31, they might have to say 'we will continue playing you half or whatever' to try and smooth things.

'We're talking a lot about smoothing the curve with the virus but we might have to start thinking about that in terms of football as well.

'Clubs may need players to say 'you haven't been bringing in the money, so we need you to play for free for a couple of months.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Come back to me when whoever you reference above creeps about thanking any post directed against Liverpool posters.

Yeah, no Liverpool fans on the site would ever do anything of the sort. For years. To a pathetic level that extends beyond this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

EPL Champion 2020 .....

....COVID19

All is changed .....changed utterly!

Promotion to the EPL has been estimated to be as high as 170m.

Pretty **** for teams who get relegated too.

Nevermind the CL revenue from top four.

No cup competition carries that kind of financial weight

You're missing my point. I'm not saying the cup competitions are as big as the league, they're not. I'm just saying that if the season is to be completed, ALL competitions should be completed. There's no point trying to squash 9 league games into 3 weeks, do it properly and finish out the whole season or don't bother at all.

• Advertisement

The Liverpool v Utd stuff must be utterly mind boggling for other fans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

6 wrote: »

Tis grand, as long as we are winning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It just boards attracting the dregs through anonymity.....moat United fans I know in real life are actually alright. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Gets pretty boring pretty quickly.

I would love to see a Soccer Forum pints gathering and how swiftly people's opinions would change in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I would love to see a Soccer Forum pints gathering and how swiftly people's opinions would change in person

Just be a crowd of people shouting at each other from either end of the bar in their full Liverpool and Man Utd kits.

Then when one of your crowd says something witty everyone else wearing the same jersey will stick their thumbs up in the air so we know they won that one.

Seeing as nobody has commented on this https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-uefa-say-liverpool-wont-be-crowned-champions-if-season-is-cancelled-20200318

Is he saying that if the PL and other leagues are not finished by June 30, that will be it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will up uproar if league is not finished.

Sadly UK has played its part in what will be big delay with rise in virus cases.

The UK's approach could mean they hit their peak quicker, albeit with a hell of a lot of casualties. Human experiment from the Tories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see theres uproar over Pogba posting a video of himself working out in a Juventus. Says hes doing it to show solidarity fo his former Juve teammate suffering from covid 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Will up uproar if league is not finished.

No idea why clubs would agree to playing a single fixture next season before playing out the remaining fixtures this season.

Will be interesting to hear what comes out of tomorrow

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote:
    Is he saying that if the PL and other leagues are not finished by June 30, that will be it?

They said they will work towards June 30th if the situation improves.

If it doesn't, they will reevaluate, imo.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying the cup competitions are as big as the league, they're not. I'm just saying that if the season is to be completed, ALL competitions should be completed. There's no point trying to squash 9 league games into 3 weeks, do it properly and finish out the whole season or don't bother at all.

It's not much of a point though.

The financial implications of promotion and top four as laid out in my post are so large as to spark the legal wrangling that would exist from not seeing the season out.

Bit more important than simply saying if you can do one you should do the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the season is cancelled then obviously no one will be awarded titles, but I wouldn't have though UEFA get to decide that? Id have thought it was the PL's decision who, if anyone, gets awarded the title?

It's not much of a point though.

The financial implications of promotion and top four as laid out in my post are so large as to spark the legal wrangling that would exist from not seeing the season out.

Bit more important than simply saying if you can do one you should do the other

What about CL qualification via the Europa Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If the season is cancelled then obviously no one will be awarded titles, but I wouldn't have though UEFA get to decide that? Id have thought it was the PL's decision who, if anyone, gets awarded the title?

It reads like you first thought, that this is their recommendation, but that its the league's decision.

"I've saw and heard some again fake news that Uefa will advise leagues to finish the championships now and decide that the winners are the ones who are number one now," the UEFA boss said.

"I can say that it's not true. Our goal is to finish the leagues and we didn't recommend anything like that to any association or any league."

The key words are "advise" and "recommend". Which implies it's not ultimately their decision, they can only provide their advice to the leagues.

What about CL qualification via the Europa Cup?

Definitely an issue of discussion, but the fact there are so many teams left in it, all with an equal chance of winning it, goes some way towards removing the legal challenge. In the same way that Fulham probably have a much stronger legal challenge towards any promotion than, say, QPR, even though both could mathematically finish in the top 2.

So it doesn't seem as detrimental if they can't finish it. Would expect the spot to go to the team still in the competition with the highest coefficient that hasn't already qualified.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It reads like you first thought, that this is their recommendation, but that its the league's decision.

"I've saw and heard some again fake news that Uefa will advise leagues to finish the championships now and decide that the winners are the ones who are number one now," the UEFA boss said.

"I can say that it's not true. Our goal is to finish the leagues and we didn't recommend anything like that to any association or any league."

The key words are "advise" and "recommend". Which implies it's not ultimately their decision, they can only provide their advice to the leagues.

Definitely an issue of discussion, but the fact there are so many teams left in it, all with an equal chance of winning it, goes some way towards removing the legal challenge. In the same way that Fulham probably have a much stronger legal challenge towards any promotion than, say, QPR, even though both could mathematically finish in the top 2.

So it doesn't seem as detrimental if they can't finish it. Would expect the spot to go to the team still in the competition with the highest coefficient that hasn't already qualified.

But before that it stated that they said it must be finished by June 30 and the article also stated UEFA met to decide what to do with rest of season.

joeguevara wrote:
    But before that it stated that they said it must be finished by June 30 and the article also stated UEFA met to decide what to do with rest of season.

With respect, the piece in the article you are quoting is opinion rather than a quote. I have a quote on football 365 which tempers the 30th June date with 'provided the situation improves before then'

With respect, the piece in the article you are quoting is opinion rather than a quote. I have a quote on football 365 which tempers the 30th June date with 'provided the situation improves before then'

I hope you’re right. Found it strange no on had posted it but definitely the first indication of what UEFA may be thinking.

joeguevara wrote: »

As mentioned, the article is only giving its own interpretation with regards the June 30th date, but I wasn't referring to that in my post anyway.

I was specifically only answering the question on UEFA having/not having control over what leagues choose to do in terms of declaring champions, or promotion/relegation spots.

So perhaps UEFA does have the authority to end the season by June 30th (we don't know yet for sure based on that articles lack of quotes on the subject), but it does seem clear from the quotes that are there that it is up to individual leagues what they choose to do if the season is indeed curtailed on June 30th. They simply say that UEFA have not actively advised them to declare champions based on current standings.

• Advertisement

As mentioned, the article is only giving its own interpretation with regards the June 30th date, but I wasn't referring to that in my post anyway.

I was specifically only answering the question on UEFA having/not having control over what leagues choose to do in terms of declaring champions, or promotion/relegation spots.

So perhaps UEFA does have the authority to end the season by June 30th (we don't know yet for sure based on that articles lack of quotes on the subject), but it does seem clear from the quotes that are there that it is up to individual leagues what they choose to do if the season is indeed curtailed on June 30th. They simply say that UEFA have not actively advised them to declare champions based on current standings.

Seems at the moment the 30th June date is the cut off point. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1256968/Liverpool-news-UEFA-decision-Premier-League-title-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yes indeed, particularly I would be curious to meet anyone making comments such as "Liverpool looking to crawl over the bodies of the dead for their title" - a comment I've seen repeatedly here said both directly and indirectly over the last few days.

Somehow though I don't think it would come up face to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

They said they will work towards June 30th if the situation improves.

If it doesn't, they will reevaluate, imo.

The world is a heartbeat away from martial law so I'd say we have a ways to go!

Yes indeed, particularly I would be curious to meet anyone making comments such as "Liverpool looking to crawl over the bodies of the dead for their title" - a comment I've seen repeatedly here said both directly and indirectly over the last few days.

Not a hope. That's something you say online or from a moving car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Those posters would be drinking with their Combat 18 mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Those posters would be drinking with their Combat 18 mates.

I had to google that

Dafuq?

• Advertisement

That article actually says next to nothing concrete about it, though it does link to another article which says;

“A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.”

which is still just as wishy-washy as the current situation. Essentially 'we aim to be done by then, if things improve and its possible to be back playing at that stage'.

So still a million miles away from anything concrete.

The gist of it all really feels like "we need to look like we're doing something, so we're meeting, and putting out nebulous open-to-interpretation statements, but really we've not got a clue how things are going to go".

That article actually says next to nothing concrete about it, though it does link to another article which says;

“A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.”

which is still just as wishy-washy as the current situation. Essentially 'we aim to be done by then, if things improve and its possible to be back playing at that stage'.

So still a million miles away from anything concrete.

The gist of it all really feels like "we need to look like we're doing something, so we're meeting, and putting out nebulous open-to-interpretation statements, but really we've not got a clue how things are going to go".

It does seem like that but on the other hand you would expect some indication that the deadline will be extended in the interest of ensuring an appropriate end rather than saying a date has been set. But it is a wait and see.

It does seem like that but on the other hand you would expect some indication that the deadline will be extended in the interest of ensuring an appropriate end rather than saying a date has been set. But it is a wait and see.

That feels sort of baked into the quote I think though - this is the date, provided everything blows over in time for clubs to start playing.

I'd say they're just reluctant to say anything concrete at this stage. Doubt they want to leave themselves open to being hostages to fortune by saying "it'll definitely finish", or "it'll definitely be voided on that date", which makes sense to be honest, cause right now we just don't know, and it would be foolish to start putting out definites at a time of such overarching uncertainty.

It's the sensible thing, and though it means the repeating cycle of "void it/continue it" will continue rolling along in here, we can probably live with that. (largely by just not opening this thread for long periods of time :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

I see more and more sport analysts calling for premier league clubs to bail out the rest of the leagues. Not a chance of this happening in reality ... which is a shame

MurDawg wrote: »
    I see more and more sport analysts calling for premier league clubs to bail out the rest of the leagues. Not a chance of this happening in reality ... which is a shame

Most premier leagues are in debt or leveraged on future earnings.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement