Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

MD1990 wrote: »

Really? I'd love us to resume our current season. Yeah, Liverpool winning a title is not ideal, but we were actually beginning to make some progress. Plus, I miss Bruno.

I still quite like my suggestion from a week ago for finishing the current season...

- Suspend all football for the rest of the year*

- For the next two seasons in the run up to the disruptive 2022 Qatar WC, run the seasons by calendar year.

- Start in late January to run until late October. In 2022, this would give players about a month to train with their international teams ahead of the WC in late November.

- If FIFA/UEFA feel like it, take an extended break after WC 2022 to get the major leagues and competitions back to an August-May timeframe from 2023/24 on.

*Hopefully football would be in a position to resume long before the end of this year. If not, we all could be in severe trouble and football will be such an insignificance. So, resume and conclude this season's leagues and important competitions in late September/early October, with teams having much needed preseason games in the weeks beforehand. Get this season wrapped up by mid December, with players having 4-6 weeks off before the new adjusted season starts in late January 2021.

It's not perfect, but the eventual solution isn't going to be.

Edit: Euros be damned.

Funny there's been a bunch of us making similar suggestions and hoping for the league to return, but the likes of Brinty and T.Hanks are playing a blinder at driving a few of you insane.

The FA/EPL moving things back to April 30th to then reassess the situation is the best possible decision at the moment.

A few lads in here won't take this news well, even when their own club benefits. Bizarre stuff.

Anyway, correct decision. Hopefully we won't have to wait 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Common sense prevails. Only a bitter loser would want the league voided such as Karen Brady and the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's gone eerily quiet in here.....:)

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Social distancing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The indefinite bit is interesting, when you consider other leagues in euro football. Would Uefa wait for the pl to sort their qualifiers out?

Surely the pl, and every league, has to be working to some sort of common time table, even if just for planning.

They may be saying indefinite now, but i have to think other leagues and Uefa could impact that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Cheer up lads there's an asteroid supposed to hit earth in April.

Logic prevails.

Wet dreams for some turn to ugly realisation you've just jizzed your own pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Careful now. They just care about humanity. Don’t make this about football on a football forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Steyr 556 wrote: »

There is? Sh!t i thought you meant we were all going to play retro classic Asteroids in lieu of football.

The indefinite bit is interesting, when you consider other leagues in euro football. Would Uefa wait for the pl to sort their qualifiers out?

Surely the pl, and every league, has to be working to some sort of common time table, even if just for planning.

They may be saying indefinite now, but i have to think other leagues and Uefa could impact that.

What they are saying is that what they control and have a vested interest in will be completed. They cannot control UEFA, and have planned accordingly.

Why is this season more important numerous ones in the future ?
    This season will NOT be finished anyone thinking other wise is dreaming ,

That aged well :)

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Asteroid or Asterix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the Champions league will be last competition to return with the travelling involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Atleast now footballers can get a break for the next few weeks. No football for 6 weeks at best so they can all have 3 weeks off now.

The CL is the same as the PL.

They have to finish this years competition.

You can't deny Atlanta the chance to compete in the Quarter Final's. That tie will be very special for them after what has happened in Bergamo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What happens on the 30th of April? Does the virus suddenly decide to disappear?

I was due to go to a game in a month, that's on hold now.
    One poster said "it's gone eerily quiet in here" yet a few who haven't been seen in a while have suddenly started posting.
    Nothing changes with the EPL statement,the can has been kicked down the road,that is all. They may as well have copied and pasted the original statement from when they postponed things.

One poster said "it's gone eerily quiet in here" yet a few who haven't been seen in a while have suddenly started posting.
    Nothing changes with the EPL statement,the can has been kicked down the road,that is all. They may as well have copied and pasted the original statement from when they postponed things.

league extended indefinitely,

Will be completed when safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/1240625450461868032

You & the rest were wrong. Simple.

It will get put back again and a couple of more times after that. Basically, the leagues will finish closer to Christmas more than they usually do. Extraordinary times.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    league extended indefinitely,

Will be completed when safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/1240625450461868032

You & the rest were wrong. Simple.

In a decade we'll be watching The Premiership Years and see when Liverpool won the 2019/20 league in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The season is 80% done. Only right to finish it when it is possible. If necessary they can always shorten next season if they need to. What form a shortened season would take I don't know but it would be the fairest outcome for all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

In a decade we'll be watching The Premiership Years and see when Liverpool won the 2019/20 league in 2021.

Fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fingers crossed!!

6 wrote: »
    Asteroid or Asterix?

Both the Asteroid and Asterisk will be found to be well wide of the mark and soon never considered again.

Next season could be everybody plays each other once, then split. Top 10 play each other once more. Same with bottom 10. Similar to Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The season is 80% done.

No it's not

Operation rollback and goalpost shifting :)

You were wrong, suck it up. The outcome suits almost everyone, and was common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Quazzie wrote: »
    No it's not

Ok its 75.79% done

• Advertisement

RIP Peter Whittingham.

The former Villa and Cardiff player has died aged 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Quazzie wrote: »
    No it's not

I'm not arguing over a few percentage points but knock yourself out.

Our own league, like others in Europe, play through the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP Peter Whittingham.

i saw he had a fall yesterday. tragic. RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RIP Peter Whittingham.

You posted in the wrong thread. This is the díckswinging thread. Should post in some kind of general PL thread.

His wife is pregnant :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm a Liverpool fan and hope it goes ahead but I stil can't see it

I can't see it starting at the end of April England will be rampant right about then ,

If it goes a month or two beyond that start date how can they finish it up and give lads holidays and a preseason ?,

What happens to the transfer window ?

I hope im wrong ,

• Advertisement

Operation rollback and goalpost shifting :)

You were wrong, suck it up. The outcome suits almost everyone, and was common sense.

Hes not wrong yet, there is no promise of football starting back on 30th or April ,

Hes not wrong yet, there is no promise of football starting back on 30th or April ,

This is key
    The Football Association has also agreed that the current season can be "extended indefinitely".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There really is no perfect solution to this. It is totally unprecedented territory.

Yes Liverpool have basically won the league. The right thing to do in many ways is see them win it be that by awarding it or finding time to play out the season. Ideally the time is found and this all clears up quicker than anticipated. If it doesnt then there are valid arguments for both sides.

Obviously it's totally valid that Liverpool should be champions.

At the same time it's not unreasonable to say if the time cannot be found to play out the season that they should not be handed the league as:
    a) they haven't actually won it and
    b) the can of worms that opens regarding relegation and champions league etc let alone the other divisions. This is my bigger concern as for point a) i feel Liverpool have deserved it and wouldn't begrudge them being awarded this in the exceptional circumstances. But how you then solve the rest is a total head-wreck given some teams haven't even played the same number of games.

Do people (leaving Liverpool bias for and against out of it for a second) want to see two seasons ruined by this by playing the end of this one in October or something? Arguments can be made that scrapping this and moving to the next is a farce, as is playing this one out and screwing up next year too. There's no clear right or wrong.
    People keep mentioning legal grounds for stuff but really nobody has any idea what legal footing anyone has to make any decisions. We don't know the contracts signed and we don't know what these contracts contain regarding freak acts of nature decimating the season. The PL wont make any decision that exposes them to being sued for millions.

Hopefully by early June or so all can kick off again and none of these concerns matter. Its arguing over shades of the same colour until it becomes clearer what the final timelines may look like.

Just sit back for now and enjoy sky sports classics games they're showing in the evenings. Had a cracking 0-0 League cup final from 2009 between Spurs and United on the other day. Bliss

I can't see it starting at the end of April England will be rampant right about then ,

If it goes a month or two beyond that start date how can they finish it up and give lads holidays and a preseason ?,

I hope im wrong ,

i reckon europe will be much the same regarding the virus + or - a month. the window will be moved to be in line when leagues are finishing up.

i presume clubs will have a mini preseason before it resumes. playing local teams/u 21's/reserves.

the proper break will need to be curtailed depending on when everything resumes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

the coronavirus has really brought out the worst but true colours in people, but it's good to see them all being put firmly back in their place.

the selfishness of people ramming the likes of temple bar that night despite the consequences - pubs were closed.

the greed of people bulk buying in the supermarkets leaving little or nothing for anyone else/the elderly - supermarkets limiting the amount of 1 product that can be bought & also allocated hours for the elderly.

the sad, bitter, embarrassing & truly desperate people hoping the virus would escalate to the point where the league would be cancelled & made null & void out of pure spite & hatred towards Liverpool whilst showing the most obsessive & unhealthy behaviour - put back in their places with the news today that the season will finish no indefinitely.

it's very satisfying & great to see :)

• Advertisement

This is key

Indefinitely doesn't necessarily mean infinitely. Probably just a mechanism for not having to make any rash decisions now when nothing is clear

This is key

Can be not will be

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There really is no perfect solution to this. It is totally unprecedented territory.

Yes Liverpool have basically won the league. The right thing to do in many ways is see them win it be that by awarding it or finding time to play out the season. Ideally the time is found and this all clears up quicker than anticipated. If it doesnt then there are valid arguments for both sides.

Obviously it's totally valid that Liverpool should be champions.

At the same time it's not unreasonable to say if the time cannot be found to play out the season that they should not be handed the league as:
    a) they haven't actually won it and
    b) the can of worms that opens regarding relegation and champions league etc let alone the other divisions. This is my bigger concern as for point a) i feel Liverpool have deserved it and wouldn't begrudge them being awarded this in the exceptional circumstances. But how you then solve the rest is a total head-wreck given some teams haven't even played the same number of games.

Do people (leaving Liverpool bias for and against out of it for a second) want to see two seasons ruined by this by playing the end of this one in October or something? Arguments can be made that scrapping this and moving to the next is a farce, as is playing this one out and screwing up next year too. There's no clear right or wrong.
    People keep mentioning legal grounds for stuff but really nobody has any idea what legal footing anyone has to make any decisions. We don't know the contracts signed and we don't know what these contracts contain regarding freak acts of nature decimating the season. The PL wont make any decision that exposes them to being sued for millions.

Hopefully by early June or so all can kick off again and none of these concerns matter. Its arguing over shades of the same colour until it becomes clearer what the final timelines may look like.

Just sit back for now and enjoy sky sports classics games they're showing in the evenings. Had a cracking 0-0 League cup final from 2009 between Spurs and United on the other day. Bliss

i'm of the firm view that this season is somewhat ruined already. the degree to which remains to be seen. talking about finishing this season at the expense to next season should be the red line the PL refuse to cross. IMHO

Indefinitely doesn't necessarily mean infinitely. Probably just a mechanism for not having to make any rash decisions now when nothing is clear

Indefinitely Maybe? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I hope im wrong ,

I would guess, that regardless of what the PL have said, that the English football season will still have to fall in line with the rest of the European big leagues.

I think UEFA may have the final say.

It would be ideal if they could kick off again at the start of May, it should be straight forward enough to complete the season in July and be ready to start again in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Indefinitely doesn't necessarily mean infinitely.

The football will never stop

The football is officially going on forever

It will never be decided who has won the football

There's still everything to play for, and FOREVER to play it in!

• ozzy jr wrote: »
    I would guess, that regardless of what the PL have said, that the English football season will still have to fall in line with the rest of the European big leagues.

I think UEFA may have the final say.

It would be ideal if they could kick off again at the start of May, it should be straight forward enough to complete the season in July and be ready to start again in August.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1240293088280576001?s=19

It’s back to the dick swinging thread everybody. Normal service is resumed.

:pac:

I don't know whether there are grounds to give Liverpool the league they've won and then have playoff style games to try decide the rest rapidly.

United play Sheffield Utd for 5th (although with all that has gone on and City's appeal surely there's no way a decision can be made in time for next season if CAS aren't sitting at the minute. Does that mean city are back in for next season until the appeal is heard or out until it is heard?). Could argue Wolves would want a crack but given they've played as many games as United and are two points behind i feel you can legitimately exclude the. You'll get complaints about easier run ins etc not being played out as being unfair but at some point the foot has to come down and just say this is an event out of everyone's control, no one to blame, no solution will be 100% fair.

West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth and Villa play off for the two safe spots. Or do the German thing and just promote and don't relegate for one season.

I feel that 5th place issue is really the only problem that cannot be solved easily. Without it I'd have no problem ending the season today with Liverpool winners and a 22/3 team league next year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement