Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

proper order.....

"Irish Rugby's 2019/20 domestic season is to conclude with immediate effect due to ongoing concerns over coronavirus.

"Government action in combating the virus looks set to continue beyond March 29th. Irish Rugby wants to play its part while giving clubs the chance to put plans in place for the 2020/21 season.

"The directive applies to all incomplete national and provincial competitions."

"The decision to end the domestic rugby season for 2019/2020 season has not been made lightly. All options were discussed and the IRFU is satisfied it has arrived at the only equitable solution.

"These are challenging times for us all and we know clubs will be impacted by this directive, but we will look back at this season as one where we put the physical welfare of our rugby community above all else.

"Clubs are now in a position to make plans for the 2020/21 season. We look forward to marking the 30th anniversary of the All-Ireland League."

:pac:

No big tv deals for Irish domestic rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

joeguevara wrote: »
    You Never Walk Alone, to play across Europe in show of unity.

https://youtu.be/8H9T7427EbI

Except Manchester and half of Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

proper order.....

"Irish Rugby's 2019/20 domestic season is to conclude with immediate effect due to ongoing concerns over coronavirus.

"Government action in combating the virus looks set to continue beyond March 29th. Irish Rugby wants to play its part while giving clubs the chance to put plans in place for the 2020/21 season.

"The directive applies to all incomplete national and provincial competitions."

"The decision to end the domestic rugby season for 2019/2020 season has not been made lightly. All options were discussed and the IRFU is satisfied it has arrived at the only equitable solution.

"These are challenging times for us all and we know clubs will be impacted by this directive, but we will look back at this season as one where we put the physical welfare of our rugby community above all else.

"Clubs are now in a position to make plans for the 2020/21 season. We look forward to marking the 30th anniversary of the All-Ireland League."

:pac:

What if this doesn't stop until January 2021. Then the plans they make now means fxxk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Except Manchester and half of Glasgow.

Time for rivalries to be put aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Which version is going to be played?

Great idea. It's the perfect song to capture unity.

7.45am tomorrow on all stations across Europe.

At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky

https://twitter.com/lauriewhitwell/status/1240746089772441602

So it's a lot to do with the broadcasters wanting £762 million back if the league is void.

So it's a lot to do with the broadcasters wanting £762 million back if the league is void.

It’s all to do with broadcasters penalty and clawback clauses as well as legal action. Financial stability and protection of as many as clubs as possible trumps everything else. I wonder though if full discussion has been entered into with Sky etc. Sky have paused the sports subscrtions at the moment. The longer this goes on the loss of subscription and advertising revenue will be phenomenal.

It will really come down to which is more income generating for the tv channels. New league or finish this one. It is noticeable that tv channels haven’t come out publicly or no leaks. But not unexpected.

8-10 wrote: »
    Which version is going to be played?

Great idea. It's the perfect song to capture unity.

7.45am tomorrow on all stations across Europe.

At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky

I had never heard the elvis one I posted above. Amazing. It really is a class song. As a spurs supporter, I have no problem in saying that I get goosebumps watching it sung at Anfield. I have been there in person and on TV.

I am a spurs fan through and through and will never change. One thing i will say about Liverpool is that he have great chants and songs.

Can’t believe it was over a year ago, that I was at the Button Factory for Jamie Webster. What a night. Virjil Van Dijk song is a cracker.

https://youtu.be/pa6_0xhHx-o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

I am a spurs fan through and through and will never change. One thing i will say about Liverpool is that he have great chants and songs.

Can’t believe it was over a year ago, that I was at the Button Factory for Jamie Webster. What a night. Virjil Van Dijk song is a cracker.

https://youtu.be/pa6_0xhHx-o

Dirty Old Town..a song not about a girl but about a place called Salford in.....Manchester:D

The circle is complete,join hands lads and pray for the rest of us who couldnt give a toss about your rivalry lol

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Dirty Old Town..a song not about a girl but about a place called Salford in.....Manchester:D

Made famous by a legendary Tipp man. Bit like myself hahah

Made famous by a legendary Tipp man. Bit like myself hahah

Youre not a legend yet Joe but youre getting there:P

Edit:Youre a Spurs supporter:eek:...get away ta fcuk with yourself,fcuk sake this corona virus is getting me all confused...I hate you:D

Youre not a legend yet Joe but youre getting there:P

Edit:Youre a Spurs supporter:eek:...get away ta fcuk with yourself,fcuk sake this corona virus is getting me all confused...I hate you:D

Ah woodsie, we aren’t too bad. Hope all good with you and staying safe. If you get a delivery of electric cattle prods, give me a shout. I’m thinking of selling them to help with social distancing. Make a fortune.

Ah woodsie, we aren’t too bad. Hope all good with you and staying safe. If you get a delivery of electric cattle prods, give me a shout. I’m thinking of selling them to help with social distancing. Make a fortune.

Any chance you get a few spurs lads and ill get a few gunners and we change the direction of this thread for a bit,Im sure everyone would welcome the change of rivalry:pac:

Stay safe pal,hopefully we get to finish the season and we get to celebrate St.Totteringhams Day for the first time in a good while:P

Any chance you get a few spurs lads and ill get a few gunners and we change the direction of this thread for a bit,Im sure everyone would welcome the change of rivalry:pac:

Stay safe pal,hopefully we get to finish the season and we get to celebrate St.Totteringhams Day for the first time in a good while:P

Must be nice to have your Thursday nights clear for a while. Hahah

Not often I post in general thread. Prefer the spurs one. The big thing here is it’s nothing to do with any one team. It’s about the whole of football. It would suit Spurs down to the ground if it was null and void but I don’t care about that really. If it can get done fairly and safely I’d love it. By that stage Kane and Son and. An Berjwin are back. But also I worry about all the teams in lower divisions. Without new sponsorship, tv money and gate receipts their fcucked.

But enjoy your Thursday nights. They will fill up again soon no doubt.

• Advertisement

Must be nice to have your Thursday nights clear for a while. Hahah

Not often I post in general thread. Prefer the spurs one. The big thing here is it’s nothing to do with any one team. It’s about the whole of football. It would suit Spurs down to the ground if it was null and void but I don’t care about that really. If it can get done fairly and safely I’d love it. By that stage Kane and Son and. An Berjwin are back. But also I worry about all the teams in lower divisions. Without new sponsorship, tv money and gate receipts their fcucked.

But enjoy your Thursday nights. They will fill up again soon no doubt.

Here call it null and void now and Id rather do without those poxy Thurs games:D
    Whether its Utd or Pool supporters getting upset over whatever decision,its no skin off my nose lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

100% commitment at the start of every marriage as well. means **** all

wonder will SSN report on those figures? prob not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So others are now started to listen to us about cancelling and voiding the season and how the broadcaster will want there money back, were people not saying that last week and ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You Never Walk Alone, to play across Europe in show of unity.

https://youtu.be/8H9T7427EbI

Is this a piss take?

Worst infected area is Northern Italy and all:pac:

Could not make it up

So others are now started to listen to us about cancelling and voiding the season and how the broadcaster will want there money back, were people not saying that last week and ignored

I don’t think anyone was ignoring. Also not confirmed from broadcasters. Depends on what is more profitable to them. If they said that no clawback would be implemented if new season started then that would probably happen. Depends on the figures. Let’s hope all will get sorted and the season finish. But at this stage nothing is off the table

• Advertisement

Is this a piss take?

Worst infected area is Northern Italy and all:pac:

Could not make it up

It happened at 7.45am this morning.

Very moving. Also, as you well know, it's not specifically a Liverpool song. It's universal.

Here's the one from BBC Radio 1, in Ireland it was on RTÉ Radio 1

8-10 wrote: »
    It happened at 7.45am this morning.

Very moving. Also, as you well know, it's not specifically a Liverpool song. It's universal.

Here's the one from BBC Radio 1, in Ireland it was on RTÉ Radio 1

Ah that's nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Never walk alone just 2 meters apart :)

Never walk alone just 2 meters apart :)

Except in Italy where it's a fine if you don't walk alone.

And all this time I thought it was symbolic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

La Liga are doing a FIFA comp this weekend, with one player for each team taking part.

Saw F1 (and Courtois) play a comp on F1 2020 last week.

I said (in the United thread I think) that the PL and PL Clubs should be looking at doing this type of thing. I know United guys play Fifa and IIRC there was an interview a while back where it was said United and Liverpool players used to play against each other in SOCOM or something like that.

I'm suprised we've not seen it. Especially as some clubs, United anyway, have an 'exclusive' FIFA kit they could advertise...

You'd get at least some fun and engagement out of Rashford playing Sterling or TAA or Mount etc in Fifa or 3 player squads from each team in the new Call of Duty.

I know there was a match the other week that two clubs did on Football Manager, with fans voting for the tactics and starting 11 for the match. Some fun things clubs could do. Raise some money at the same time I reckon as well.

https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1240669371627974664

Some people should just say nothing. Listening to his commentary I'd rather if he never spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

niallo27 wrote:
    That's worst case scenario in fairness.
    No, it's the amount of time it takes to test for side effects, produce and distribute.

Some people should just say nothing. Listening to his commentary I'd rather if he never spoke.

Oh dear... maybe he got April and August mixed up

This was a reply on Redcafe when that tweet was posted there. It's worth reading.

"I was wondering whether or not to post something, but that Owen tweet did it for me.

I’m in the thick of it here, have been for some weeks. We’re losing about 400 a day nationwide. My neighbour just lost his grandfather, my colleague lost her grandfather too, and now her mum’s been put in hospital. These people are dying alone. Without comfort. And the people they are leaving behind are unable to say goodbye. My kids haven’t stepped out of the house for 6 weeks and they are suffering too. We don’t know if we’ll still have jobs when this is finally over, but honestly our careers don’t feel so important anymore.

I know this is a football forum, but I think it’s context worth considering for both United and Liverpool supporters.

Football is getting more and more irrelevant. The arguments that were going on between Inter and Juve fans are just not heard anymore, no one cares. We are too busy consoling each other".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

La Liga are doing a FIFA comp this weekend, with one player for each team taking part.

Saw F1 (and Courtois) play a comp on F1 2020 last week.

I said (in the United thread I think) that the PL and PL Clubs should be looking at doing this type of thing. I know United guys play Fifa and IIRC there was an interview a while back where it was said United and Liverpool players used to play against each other in SOCOM or something like that.

I'm suprised we've not seen it. Especially as some clubs, United anyway, have an 'exclusive' FIFA kit they could advertise...

You'd get at least some fun and engagement out of Rashford playing Sterling or TAA or Mount etc in Fifa or 3 player squads from each team in the new Call of Duty.

I know there was a match the other week that two clubs did on Football Manager, with fans voting for the tactics and starting 11 for the match. Some fun things clubs could do. Raise some money at the same time I reckon as well.

Need someone to step up and organise it. The F1 race was started by Vergne on his own instagram. (Hes planning another for Sunday)

This was a reply on Redcafe when that tweet was posted there. It's worth reading.

"I was wondering whether or not to post something, but that Owen tweet did it for me.

I’m in the thick of it here, have been for some weeks. We’re losing about 400 a day nationwide. My neighbour just lost his grandfather, my colleague lost her grandfather too, and now her mum’s been put in hospital. These people are dying alone. Without comfort. And the people they are leaving behind are unable to say goodbye. My kids haven’t stepped out of the house for 6 weeks and they are suffering too. We don’t know if we’ll still have jobs when this is finally over, but honestly our careers don’t feel so important anymore.

I know this is a football forum, but I think it’s context worth considering for both United and Liverpool supporters.

Football is getting more and more irrelevant. The arguments that were going on between Inter and Juve fans are just not heard anymore, no one cares. We are too busy consoling each other".

Football, when it comes back, like other sports is going to be great though. Its going to be a great distraction.

I do wonder if, for some time at least, we will see a different atmosphere around the game. Will it be less tribal and more about enjoyment.

I'd be surprised if I ever take joy in Liverpool winning anything, but if/when they celebrate winning the PL, it will be a sign of some normality again, and it could be nice to see people celebrate something rather than worry about Covid-19.

Of course the reality is there will still be racism, and horrid chants about things - but maybe there will be a change in the mentality of some/enough.

If you score more goals than the other team you usually win.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1240955564324196352

F! officially involved for the weekend on their eSports stuff.

Football manager would be a great idea. Brought Woking to the CL in my teens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wish people would stop pretending posters aren't aware of what is going on re:the virus.

Can we just put it in the opening post that yes, football takes a back seat, there are more important things than football etc.

Are people going to come in when this is all over and mention the latest atrocity in the Middle East when games are being discussed?

There's a million other avenues to discuss the cold, hard realities of the virus which is invading every other facet of daily life.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I haven't been reading here lately, so something like this might have been posted, but once football resumes (which probably won't be before June I'd expect) it'd be great if there was a world cup type schedule for a month with multiple games every day at different times, and teams playing every 3-4 days, just to get it done. Obviously depending on european/FA cup completion decisions, but something like that would be great.

noodler wrote: »
    I wish people would stop pretending posters aren't aware of what is going on re:the virus.

Can we just put it in the opening post that yes, football takes a back seat, there are more important things than football etc.

Are people going to come in when this is all over and mention the latest atrocity in the Middle East when games are being discussed?

There's a million other avenues to discuss the cold, hard realities of the virus which is invading every other facet of daily life.

If it wasn’t for the soccer and Netflix thread I’d be screwed. It’s a great outlet. Football is irrelevant to most things but if we stopped talking about it because of a worldwide issue we would be fcucked. Even if there was no virus, someone could say why are you talking about football when forest fires in Oz, or world hunger or refugee crisis. It doesn’t mean that you don’t care but distraction is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If it wasn’t for the soccer and Netflix thread I’d be screwed. It’s a great outlet. Football is irrelevant to most things but if we stopped talking about it because of a worldwide issue we would be fcucked. Even if there was no virus, someone could say why are you talking about football when forest fires in Oz, or world hunger or refugee crisis. It doesn’t mean that you don’t care but distraction is nice.

It's Human nature for people not to care about things they can't relate to or is near.

COVID19 is close to home so people are relating alot.
    Bush fires world hunger etc not an Irish issue so not an Irish problem pretty much.

I am definitely in the category of not caring about worldwide things as much. I can awknowledge them. But they don't effect my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely when football comes back it'll be all Hoddle-like 50 yard passes dropping on peoples toe and 30 yard top corner screamers seeing as thats all they can do in training at the minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LOI aiming to resume in Mid June. Hopefully that ends up happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Will this be the death of tika -taka, against government advice to work in tight spaces together ,
    Ireland will be world champions no one can long ball it quite like us ,

LOI aiming to resume in Mid June. Hopefully that ends up happening.

China had their 2nd day with no new domestic cases.

That's the light at the end of the tunnel. Resume training in late May and games from mid June would fit in with that timeline so fingers crossed.

Only thing is how the UK have handled it overall, might elongate it a little, but have a feeling we'll get back to normality in the summer.

Will be great for everyone to get football back on TV and bring this season to a close

UK approach will feck a lot up. They are on course to be worse then Italy so if they dont get their act together pronto, its July at very least.

We wont really know though till well into April possible May.

Hopefully it be gone well before then of course.

UK approach will feck a lot up. They are on course to be worse then Italy so if they dont get their act together pronto, its July at very least.

We wont really know though till well into April possible May.

Hopefully it be gone well before then of course.

This is not the place for too much discussion on that but until we close the common travel area we could be inundated with people coming here if it goes badly there. That could be disastrous.

Back to football, I have gone through every emotion they write about in grieving. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Sometimes I think the worst, then realistic, then positive.

But we cannot control anything only ourselves. I think it’s good to have things to look forward to and if LOI has set a date in June, until we know otherwise, I look forwards to it.

It is more believable than April and we can achieve it. I have stopped looking at international stories.

I have started following a virtual soccer team. They are shocking and keep losing. But I love it and have made up chants. It’s the little things. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MoTD returns to BBC1 on Saturday.
    Match of the Day, in a new visualised version of the new MOTD podcast, at 22:20 GMT on Saturday.
    The BBC will continue to provide programmes featuring interviews, debate and repeats of FA Cup classics.
    Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Ian Wright debate the greatest captains of the Premier League era

Football Focus at midday on Saturday.
    Dan Walker introduces some of the best interviews and features from the season so far on Football Focus.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51976729

Social distancing could be in place for a long time in Britain..

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-social-distancing-needs-to-be-in-place-for-most-of-a-year-say-government-advisers-11960920

That's going to impact on sport surely. As the song in Frozen 2 goes. "Into the unknown".

Social distancing could be in place for a long time in Britain..

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-social-distancing-needs-to-be-in-place-for-most-of-a-year-say-government-advisers-11960920

That's going to impact on sport surely. As the song in Frozen 2 goes. "Into the unknown".

Approaches wil be under review constantly. It really depends on how social distancing works. The more the scientists learn about it may mean a different policy. It also depends on how it reacts to temperature. The cavalier approach to public information has not worked. But it does not mean that what is reported will remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement