Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

[PHP][/PHP]
    Did you read what I said? This is a UEFA directive, not the PL. would you risk killing someone so a match can be played for your entertainment?
    Actually do ya know what, don’t answer that.....

Calm down, dear.

Yes, I can read. I know you said UEFA. UEFA can be got on the end of a phone. That rule is hardly, 'outfield players may not handle the ball', now is it.

Entertaining the masses is important, ask the roman emperors. Keeping them in their homes watching football could be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I'm sure the Premier league could resource a private ambulance crew or two and staff. .

You think during a global pandemic that’s there will be ambulances and paramedics just hanging around with nothing too do?

You need to turn on the news channels and tune into the real world

You think during a global pandemic that’s there will be ambulances and paramedics just hanging around with nothing too do?

You need to turn on the news channels and tune into the real world

Not everyone works for the NHS, and you continue to miss the bigger picture, keeping people inside is important. Can you agree on that at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

[PHP][/PHP]

Calm down, dear.

Yes, I can read. I know you said UEFA. UEFA can be got on the end of a phone. That rule is hardly, 'outfield players may not handle the ball', now is it.

Entertaining the masses is important, ask the roman emperors. Keeping them in their homes watching football could be a good thing.

So I was right, you’d indanger lives and ignore rules just so you can watch a match. Says a lot about you.

So I was right, you’d indanger lives and ignore rules just so you can watch a match. Says a lot about you.

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Its not that important to change the rules on the health of people involved in the game.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Its not that important to change the rules on the health of people involved in the game.

Are you saying having local doctors would endanger the health of the people involved?

Are you saying having local doctors would endanger the health of the people involved?

We got a comedian here. Let's see the types that think you're funny.

What changes do you think I am suggesting that would put players at risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

[PHP][/PHP]

Roman Emperors... who put on shows that involved killing people for entertainment. That one might need a rethink.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Roman Emperors... who put on shows that involved killing people for entertainment. That one might need a rethink.

And the Roman empire and civilisation lasted over a thousand years, but shur, what did the Romans ever do for us, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Woodsie1 wrote:

I hope he can understand that's a rhetorical question?

We got a comedian here. Let's see the types that think you're funny.

Obsessing about T.Hanks again...typical sh1te.

You carry on making a clown of yourself with stupid ideas of changing the rules around the health and safety of players and staff on matchday,all because your desperate for your team to win a trophy that really means fcuk all with whats happening right now.

brinty wrote: »
    I hope he can understand that's a rhetorical question?

No, I'm calling him out. Still waiting.

No, I'm calling him out. Still waiting.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Calling me out on what?

Obsessing about T.Hanks again...typical sh1te.

You carry on making a clown of yourself with stupid ideas of changing the rules around the health and safety of players and staff on matchday,all because your desperate for your team to win a trophy that really means fcuk all with whats happening right now.

Again, what changes have I suggested that would put players at risk? If you're not trolling this is an easy question to answer.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Calling me out on what?

Child.

Child.

jesus easily triggered arent ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And the Roman empire and civilisation lasted over a thousand years, but shur, what did the Romans ever do for us, eh?

Very little, they never bothered with Hibernia.

jesus easily triggered arent ya!

Trolls have a tendency to do that to people.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Very little, they never bothered with Hibernia.

When was the Premier League ever played in Hibernia :pac:

Jesus, the lamentable quality of trolls these days. :rolleyes:

Trolls have a tendency to do that to people.

Letting yourself down badly now,quit while youre behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

[PHP][/PHP]

Calm down, dear.

Entertainment is important... however if entertaining people is going to put even a relatively small number of people in a greater danger, an unnecessary danger then it shouldn’t go ahead...

At a stadium on matchday you’ll need...

Security...
    Doctors
    Paramedics
    Tv camera people
    Tv presenters / pundits
    Production staff
    Stadium staff
    Ball boy/girl/people
    Groundstaff
    Playing squads
    Support staff

Probably at a rough look 160 plus people at a guesstimate just to ensure that a ball gets kicked. In these dangerous circumstances that’s not justifiable. I’d love if somehow the season gets completed, unlikely we know but if you had a son, daughter, mother, father, wife, husband, family member, boyfriend, girlfriend etc working just to provide people with the ability to play a game of football and or watch it on tv you’ll be worried sick, you’d be right to be. It’s unnecessary 100% at this time, unfortunately.

I’d be saying this regardless of the league leaders, it’s a sport... hand the trophy to Liverpool tonight, I don’t care personally, but the idea of attempting to play matches is a nonsense .. no medical experts will advocate that as things are.. I’m going with the medical experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The back pages of a couple of the morning papers:

Premier League doctors are a member warning club executives that trying to fit in games to complete the league by June will lead to muscular injuries in players.

Premier League doctors are a member warning club executives that trying to fit in games to complete the league by June will lead to muscular injuries in players.

Bit more juice and they'll be grand ;)

Amazing how a 30+ year old gets fitter as a game progresses

Just saying....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bit more juice and they'll be grand ;)

Amazing how a 30+ year old gets fitter as a game progresses

Just saying....

Which PL player is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Strumms wrote: »
    Entertainment is important... however if entertaining people is going to put even a relatively small number of people in a greater danger, an unnecessary danger then it shouldn’t go ahead...

At a stadium on matchday you’ll need...

Security...
    Doctors
    Paramedics
    Tv camera people
    Tv presenters / pundits
    Production staff
    Stadium staff
    Ball boy/girl/people
    Groundstaff
    Playing squads
    Support staff

Probably at a rough look 160 plus people at a guesstimate just to ensure that a ball gets kicked. In these dangerous circumstances that’s not justifiable. I’d love if somehow the season gets completed, unlikely we know but if you had a son, daughter, mother, father, wife, husband, family member, boyfriend, girlfriend etc working just to provide people with the ability to play a game of football and or watch it on tv you’ll be worried sick, you’d be right to be. It’s unnecessary 100% at this time, unfortunately.

I’d be saying this regardless of the league leaders, it’s a sport... hand the trophy to Liverpool tonight, I don’t care personally, but the idea of attempting to play matches is a nonsense .. no medical experts will advocate that as things are.. I’m going with the medical experts.

160 people in a stadium that siZe?

No problem apart from the players imo.

Was on the avenue in st Anne's earlier easily a hundred or so people.

But we'll spaced. Think we are exaggerating the infeasible nature of games behind closed doors.

noodler wrote: »
    160 people in a stadium that siZe?

No problem apart from the players imo.

Was on the avenue in st Anne's earlier easily a hundred or so people.

But we'll spaced. Think we are exaggerating the infeasible nature of games behind closed doors.

Yep, again, a conservative guesstimate based on some insider info.

The stadium size probably doesn’t come into it... people doing all the jobs I mentioned In teams, close together, working side by side...

In the dressing room, players, manager, coaches, team doctors, Kitmen, physios, (60) between both teams, a very much 100% contact sport.

In tv studio... camera men, director, presenter, pundits, production staff, runners (15)

For radio... (10)

Outside...Security, groundstaff, more tv people, catering, medical staff (60)

All, working in close teams...might take the risk down a bit eliminating the press, radio and TV but it’s a spectator sport, if you eliminate fans, broadcast media etc... it’s a spectator sport, be in in Anfield, Dalymount or the local park it’s changing the dynamic of the sport to one just not in keeping with the true ideals and virtues of the sport... come back when it can be done properly, hand out the title or don’t... I have no clue of the legality of being able to do that now but...what happens now, anyone’s guess.

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep, again, a conservative guesstimate based on some insider info.

The stadium size probably doesn’t come into it... people doing all the jobs I mentioned In teams, close together, working side by side...

In the dressing room, players, manager, coaches, team doctors, Kitmen, physios, (60) between both teams, a very much 100% contact sport.

In tv studio... camera men, director, presenter, pundits, production staff, runners (15)

For radio... (10)

Outside...Security, groundstaff, more tv people, catering, medical staff (60)

All, working in close teams...might take the risk down a bit eliminating the press, radio and TV but it’s a spectator sport, if you eliminate fans, broadcast media etc... it’s a spectator sport, be in in Anfield, Dalymount or the local park it’s changing the dynamic of the sport to one just not in keeping with the true ideals and virtues of the sport... come back when it can be done properly, hand out the title or don’t... I have no clue of the legality of being able to do that now but...what happens now, anyone’s guess.

Even if you could control all of that..whatabout

• Advertisement

I was thinking about an exclusion zone but that needs policing and if they gathered outside that.... still people together... if you gave me now a season ticket for Old Trafford for the remainder of the season I’d respectfully decline...

I can’t see the season ending, hopefully I’m wrong but let’s wait..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You can't divert ANY medical staff in a pandemic. Doesn't really matter if it's one doctor and one ambulance plus staff. They are needed elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Show me a privately employed doctor who would be willing to hang around an empty stadium for 3 hours while his publicly employed colleagues fight a pandemic in case some footballers get injured playing a meaningless match.

Show me a privately employed ambulance crew willing to do that.

Spain has nationalised most of it's private health services. The UK will likely do that and even if they don't you can definitely see a scenario where clubs voluntarily send their medical teams to the frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Show me a privately employed doctor who would be willing to hang around an empty stadium for 3 hours while his publicly employed colleagues fight a pandemic in case some footballers get injured playing a meaningless match.

Show me a privately employed ambulance crew willing to do that.

Aren't there privately employed ambulance crews manning the Irish race meets which are still going on behind closed doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

8-10 wrote: »
    Aren't there privately employed ambulance crews manning the Irish race meets which are still going on behind closed doors?

your point supposes that somehow things will not get worse, much worse, either here or more importantly, in the UK

at the moment yes, but at the moment the Irish Health Service is not overwhelmed.

And the situation across the water looks like it will be an absolute shít show in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just resume the league in Feb 2021 assuming everything is fine by then

• Advertisement

Just resume the league in Feb 2021 assuming everything is fine by then

Could well happen. Players 5 stone overweight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

6 wrote: »

Well some teams are scheduled to be back in training from April 10th

70d0420cce7db808facafa34603a048e.jpg

Well some teams are scheduled to be back in training from April 10th

That should be right in the middle of an explosion of deaths in the UK. Doubt they'll be back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That should be right in the middle of an explosion of deaths in the UK. Doubt they'll be back then.

They won`t be.

• Advertisement

La Liga has been suspended indefinitely

So other leagues should be following suit shortly

Guess we're not too far off the seasons being declared null and void now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Been saying it for ages now ,there is no way the season gets finished, no matter how much the Fa or Premier league want it,

People in Wuhan are starting to go back to work.

It's a curve. UK is still on the upward part. It will peak then go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Been saying it for ages now ,there is no way the season gets finished, no matter how much the Fa or Premier league want it,

Say it all you want, won't turn it into a fact.

If we assume football will return at some point, they can look to finish the season at that point.

The practical realities of a global sport may dictate that domestic preference may be trumped by other calendar requirements, but until such time as those decisions are made, say whatever the F you want. Everyone else can work on the assumption that every effort will be made to finish the season, as that is the stated goal.

The desperation is uplifting :)

Say it all you want, won't turn it into a fact.

Pretty sure every league will follow the dictate of seasons being declared null and void

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pretty sure every league will follow the dictate of seasons being declared null and void

Until that is decided, then we can only look at what has actually been said - which (from a PL perspective) is that every effort will be made to finish the season, with the end date of the season calendar being moved 'indefinitely' to accomodate finishing the season when it can be done so.

A lot of people calling for the season to be resumed next year or later this. In a way that decision might initially sound fair and while that might be a positive thing for Liverpool... especially and only Liverpool, but you cant expect every other Premier League team, to sit on their arses, bereft of revenue, fans missing out on their sport, just to please and enable one team to win a competition. If the 2019/2020 season is to be written off, it’s sad, unfortunate but it’s not by design, it’s courtesy of an unprecedented health crisis, the likes of which has never been seen before.

We need to hopefully be ready to go again next Autumn, clean slate, clean bill of health...new season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pretty sure the League will be finished. When, no idea, but I'm pretty sure it will be finished sometime.

It's going to be really strange to go to a game again in future after all of this. You're right on top of each other whether standing or sitting down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement