Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

How are Australia running their games behind close doors?

Wes Houlihan was playing earlier today over there. I see one got postponed though so lockdown probably on the way.

PARlance wrote: »
    Wes Houlihan was playing earlier today over there. I see one got postponed though so lockdown probably on the way.

Didn't realise that's where he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like others I don't understand how those concerned about the lack of clarity on end to this crisis somehow think voiding this season will help next season start "fresh"?

Finish this season whenever possible and then move on.

Two seasons wrecked makes zero sense

noodler wrote: »
    Like others I don't understand how those concerned about the lack of clarity on end to this crisis somehow think voiding this season will help next season start "fresh"?

Finish this season whenever possible and then move on.

Yep, if football doesn't resume until December, do they cancel 2 seasons?

Stop talking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

noodler wrote: »

Can you explain to some why abandoning next season is a bad idea,a few can't seem to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

MD1990 wrote: »
    The end date from June 1st was extended indefinitely to complete the season.

Some in here just don't want to realise this for some reason.

Will I be called emotional now? for stating this lol

The PL may intend to finish no matter what even if it runs into next season. But if UEFA state that the entrants to next seasons champions league need to be entered by the 30th of June (random date i chose) then that's realistically the end date of this season.

No big club is going to vote for finishing this season if it means they wont be entered into the champions league.

• The PL may intend to finish no matter what even if it runs into next season. But if UEFA state that the entrants to next seasons champions league need to be entered by the 30th of June (random date i chose) then that's realistically the end date of this season.

No big club is going to vote for finishing this season if it means they wont be entered into the champions league.

I've stated this already and received some triggered reactions. UEFA will take over if nothing is done by June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The PL may intend to finish no matter what even if it runs into next season. But if UEFA state that the entrants to next seasons champions league need to be entered by the 30th of June (random date i chose) then that's realistically the end date of this season.

Do you seriously think in the current climate that UEFA are going to demand all the leagues in every country to provide entrants for their show case competition so it can proceed as normal?!

FFS.

The qualifiers for the CL group stages begin in July. Do you seriously think UEFA are currently planning to have those games held when the death rate in Italy is currently 5,476, Spain 2,206, France 674 and the figures in every country are rising every day.

Opposition fans seem hell bent on beating the "null and void" drum in some vain attempt to upset Liverpool fans.

If as you say UEFA are going down that road then they are also voiding this years CL and EL. Therefore Liverpool remain champions of Europe going in to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you think that is set in stone though?

I think the clubs have done so provide wriggle room, but what happens with this season will be influenced by what happens in other countries, and with Uefa. The PL won't plough on in isolation. With the practicalities of CL or EL football, there may come a time when a decision needs to be made. Void the season and go with last years qualifiers, call the season with qualifiers as placed now, finish the season but stick with one of the set of qualifiers regardless of final places, finish the season with no subsequent Euro participation.

If you think it is 100% certain that this season gets played out, you are wrong, imo. there is still a very real possibility of the season being over (one way or another) right now.

The initial PL decision was with the hope football would be back in April or May. If it isn't back til July/August then the factors in the decision become different.

And I say that as someone who has been very clear in stating I have no doubt the PL want to complete the season (for a number of reasons), but I also undertand that no matter what has been said to this point, there is still a real chance of the season not being completed. We have no idea what the UK is going to look like in 2 months time.

If England stick with the "indefinite" rule they can just forget European football for a year or two until they synch back up to everyone else.

Its generally regarded England are dealing with the virus worse than anywhere else except USA or Italy (which just got overwhelmed as the magnitude of this sank in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

UEFA deny Atlanta a quarter final would be a disgrace.

It will be extended as well.
    They moved the Euro's.

• Advertisement

Woodward talking sense. Wants the season finished.

Benefits his own club so perhaps a bit of selfishness there too. Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca interested in signing Laporte when City are banned from the CL and will offer him a way out to play CL football.

Madrid want Sterling I wonder could this be the start of the exodus from City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

If UEFA have already postponed Euro 2020 to next year and extended the domestic season in Europe to the end of June, why would they then insist that club football entrants for the Champions League have to be entered for the end of June? It doesn't match previous behaviour and to me seems miserly in the context of everything that is happening.

It makes zero sense if you have national leagues which cannot be completed due to the pandemic. How can the national associations provide that information when teams have not finished the campaign? How aggrieved would you be if you were Leicester and you miss out on CL football because of this?

Now magnify that all across UEFA, in every country you have teams vying for CL qualification, big and small. Enough of those clubs would possibly band together and sue UEFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I've stated this already and received some triggered reactions. UEFA will take over if nothing is done by June.

Where are you getting this information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Barca interested in signing Laporte when City are banned from the CL and will offer him a way out to play CL football.

Madrid want Sterling I wonder could this be the start of the exodus from City

Could see a similar exodus from Anfield if the FA keep up their stance and no English club is in Europe.

Could see plenty of clubs being interested in Allison and van dijk. Possibly Salah and Firminio too.

They've no loyalty to Liverpool, so could go where the money is. They'd have the offer of CL football too.

Players like Robertson, TAA and Mane have a much closer affinity

This could break up the Liverpool team too just as easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Loosing an entire season for the sake 9 games doesnt seem right.

Wonder how broadcasters would feel about that it'd be some clatter decline of revenue.

Fûck them. I’d rather they hadn’t an arse in their trousers and no funerals than people dying and them making big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

For a lad who hates Liverpool brinty you post more about them that nearly all the Liverpool posters on the site.

• Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Where are you getting this information from?

Google

It's been posted here multiple times

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1239978597345112069?s=19

For a lad who hates Liverpool brinty you post more about them that nearly all the Liverpool posters on the site.

Where have I ever stated I hate Liverpool? You're putting words in your own post there.....

I've far better things to do than hate anything .... It takes time and effort

For a lad who supports Liverpool, it's amazing your name is something related to Manchester United and their failure... See what I did there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Google

That statement wss released on St Patrick`s Day nearly a week ago now. At the rate the virus is spreading throughout Europe that deadline will be extended by at least a few weeks, possibly months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm certain that that June 30th is only a placeholder date and will be moved again. Just like the league all made original statements which were then revised and changed.

• That statement wss released on St Patrick`s Day nearly a week ago now. A the rate the virus is spreading throughout Europe that deadline will be extended by at least a few weeks, possibly months.

The fact it clearly states all domestic and club competitions need to be done by that date is clear and concise.

Folks have been highlighting the absolute mess the UK is in. And the point some are making speculation or not that they don't believe the pandemic is going to be resolved by that date defined by UEFA.

Therefore those leagues and competitions can't complete past that date.

That's it. Nothing more to say on it.

FitzShane wrote:
    I'm certain that that June 30th is only a placeholder date and will be moved again. Just like the league all made original statements which were then revised and changed.

That's a fair statement

Given what's happening in the UK it might not have even peaked by that date. So could be months before anything is restored to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'd hazard it's June 30th as isn't it the typical date most player contracts at clubs run to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

UEFA wrote:
    A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.

UEFA, the European Club Association, European Leagues and FIFPRO Europe want to finish the leagues and will when the situation improves. If it means playing behind closed doors with league games during the week and European games at the weekend, that's how it will go.
    UEFA wrote:
    The Parties are convinced that this contingency plan is the best course of action at this moment in time. It takes into consideration the advice of international health experts as well as the restrictive orders issued by national governments and local authorities. It also allows for flexibility, as events warrant, with the hope of resuming play in front of football fans everywhere across the European territory as soon as it is appropriate and prudent, so that the current sporting season can be completed.

It is a contingency plan, not an iron-clad document which is unchangeable. The football community in Europe needed some kind of statement to know where things stood. How things looked on March 17th are very different to how they are now however and given the spread of the virus I would say that the June 30 date will be revised and extended.

The overall focus for UEFA and the signatories was finishing the season as long as it was safe to do so and this is mirrored in the document.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2641077.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'd hazard it's June 30th as isn't it the typical date most player contracts at clubs run to??

I'd say so, as it could be an absolute clusterfùck player wise after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The Uk might actually move on from it quicker than then the rest of europe due to their attitude. They seem to have wanted infection knowing what the consequences would be.

The Uk might actually move on from it quicker than then the rest of europe due to their attitude. They seem to have wanted infection knowing what the consequences would be.

Could well happen alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they did not know what the consequences would be. they wanted that based on modelling the pandemic on a lower class of virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

FitzShane wrote: »

But if it’s only a placeholder date what happens too the transfer window and the players out of contract and due to begin new contracts on July 1st? Will the players be forced to stay at the their clubs even tho they are out of contract if they do not want to sign new ones? Anyone here involved in recruitment laws? Have the FA / UEFA any power to force players to stay? If not can players play the final 9 match’s who weren’t registered with those clubs before the enforced break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But if it’s only a placeholder date what happens too the transfer window and the players out of contract and due to begin new contracts on July 1st? Will the players be forced to stay at the their clubs even tho they are out of contract if they do not want to sign new ones? Anyone here involved in recruitment laws? Have the FA / UEFA any power to force players to stay? If not can players play the final 9 match’s who weren’t registered with those clubs before the enforced break?

I would doubt the FA or PL could force them, but I wonder if they could arrange a collective agreement via discussions with the PFA - all contracts are maintained until the season is officially completed.

Not going to be an easy solve, but the players will have to be careful. It would be a bad look if they try to hang clubs out to dry on contracts after all of this.

I read one agent quoted as saying if a club puts a 2 month contract in front of him he'll be asking for 5 years!

You could also see a similar arrangement between clubs as they have with the Webster ruling - where clubs could say we are not signing anyone on a free transfer/bosman until the season is finished, so you may as well complete the season with your club.

I would doubt the FA or PL could force them, but I wonder if they could arrange a collective agreement via discussions with the PFA - all contracts are maintained until the season is officially completed.

Not going to be an easy solve, but the players will have to be careful. It would be a bad look if they try to hang clubs out to dry on contracts after all of this.

I read one agent quoted as saying if a club puts a 2 month contract in front of him he'll be asking for 5 years!

You could also see a similar arrangement between clubs as they have with the Webster ruling - where clubs could say we are not signing anyone on a free transfer/bosman until the season is finished, so you may as well complete the season with your club.

Perhaps in the case of elder lads who the club didn’t want to renew with. I doubt say Fraser at Bournemouth who’s been linked with a lot of the top clubs, will want to risk injury on a short term deal. Also will have issues with players who have signed deals with new clubs already and who have been announced to join their new team on July 1st. The FA will be covered here as they just won’t put his registration through but might get messy when clubs are paying players contracts with the league not allowing them play. Using Fraser as an example if he refuses a short term deal at Bournemouth can they sign a new winger to replace him?
    It seems to be another minefield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Perhaps in the case of elder lads who the club didn’t want to renew with. I doubt say Brooks at Bournemouth who’s been linked with a lot of the top clubs, will want to risk injury on a short term deal. Also will have issues with players who have signed deals with new clubs already and who have been announced to join their new team on July 1st. The FA will be covered here as they just won’t put his registration through but might get messy when clubs are paying players contracts with the league not allowing them play. Using brooks as an example if he refuses a short term deal at Bournemouth can they sign a new winger to replace him?
    It seems to be another minefield

Brooks has a contract until 2022.

Willian recently saod he would sign a short term deal.
    Players wants the season finished.

So are your points hold no weight as usual.

Ryan Fraser above not Brooks. Rushing a post.

MD1990 wrote:
    So are your points hold no weight as usual.

Neither do your assumptions.

Not all players will be very willing to sign a short term contract.

Some players (not all) can't wait to get out of their current clubs and won't sign new short term deals. They'll be saying so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu

Maybe consider both sides of the argument before telling some one their points hold no weight as usual.

Google

There's absolutely nothing I can see in the UEFA statement saying they are going to 'take over' past June 30. All they say is clubs have made a commitment to try and complete their leagues by then, depending on the situation of course.

Also, I don't think uefa have any power over the FA. Only their own continental competitions.

Casual misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The fact it clearly states all domestic and club competitions need to be done by that date is clear and concise.

It doesnt say that at all. It says they intend to . An intention is an aim or a plan, not a concrete , immovable decision.

brinty wrote: »
    Neither do your assumptions.

Not all players will be very willing to sign a short term contract.

Some players (not all) can't wait to get out of their current clubs and won't sign new short term deals. They'll be saying so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu

Maybe consider both sides of the argument before telling some one their points hold no weight as usual.

Is this just going to keep going round and round or what. This was done to death days ago.

If players want to leave at the end of their deals, fine. If they want to sign short term deals, also fine.

Is this just going to keep going round and round or what. This was done to death days ago.

If players want to leave at the end of their deals, fine. If they want to sign short term deals, also fine.

And yet one group of supporters keep bringing it up and others disagree

This is an internet forum, people discuss things on it, they are allowed have differing opinions. That's the basic premise behind it. Back and forth discussion, kind of like a debate

If you're not happy about it, well I don't know what to say

And yet one group of supporters keep bringing it up and others disagree

This is an internet forum, people discuss things on it, they are allowed have differing opinions. That's the basic premise behind it. Back and forth discussion, kind of like a debate

If you're not happy about it, well I don't know what to say

Its not a discussion though, its people making **** up to suit themselves. This isnt debating a goal. Theres literally no information about what could or will happen yet people are stating that things will based on nothing. Exactly the crap people moan about tabloids doing.

• Advertisement

Its not a discussion though, its people making **** up to suit themselves. This isnt debating a goal. Theres literally no information about what could or will happen yet people are stating that things will based on nothing. Exactly the crap people moan about tabloids doing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

That's most of what boards is you know.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/champions-league-and-europa-league-finals-postponed-39068545.html

This years CL and EL finals postponed. I don't think UEFA will be focusing on starting next years competitions if they're only putting this years finals on hold.

dogbert27 wrote:
    This years CL and EL finals postponed. I don't think UEFA will be focusing on starting next years competitions if they're only putting this years finals on hold.

It's an evolving situation. This could and most likely will be pushed back further.

The Olympics was just postponed until 2021.

Don't think we'll be seeing a 2019/2020 winner declared access any European competitions or leagues.

Does this mean Liverpool are still the hokders despite being knocked out by Atletico. Asking for a friend.....

It's an evolving situation. This could and most likely will be pushed back further.

The Olympics was just postponed until 2021.

Don't think we'll be seeing a 2019/2020 winner declared access any European competitions or leagues.

Does this mean Liverpool are still the hokders despite being knocked out by Atletico. Asking for a friend.....

Does it mean Man City are still holders of the Premier League despite being 25 points behind Liverpool and conceding the league was over? Asking for a friend...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7959003/Pep-Guardiola-CONCEDES-Premier-League-title-Liverpool-Manchester-City-fall-22-POINTS-behind.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Current World, European and English Champions (having won it several months ago by all accounts) and will be for some time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think in the current climate that UEFA are going to demand all the leagues in every country to provide entrants for their show case competition so it can proceed as normal?!

FFS.

The qualifiers for the CL group stages begin in July. Do you seriously think UEFA are currently planning to have those games held when the death rate in Italy is currently 5,476, Spain 2,206, France 674 and the figures in every country are rising every day.

Opposition fans seem hell bent on beating the "null and void" drum in some vain attempt to upset Liverpool fans.

If as you say UEFA are going down that road then they are also voiding this years CL and EL. Therefore Liverpool remain champions of Europe going in to next season.

I'm a Blackburn fan. I really couldn't care less if Liverpool win the league. My point was that the premier league can say that's they'll finish when they want but they will be bound by the entry date for the champions league.

The Dutch have banned meetings above 3 people so that's the efedivisie more or less done this year. They'll want the next season started rather than wait for the premier league to finish.

It's next season that will suffer or be delayed. This season will be played out to it's conclusion.
    Whenever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Barcelona asking players to take wage cut as can’t afford wages. What hope do other teams have.

I'm a Blackburn fan. I really couldn't care less if Liverpool win the league. My point was that the premier league can say that's they'll finish when they want but they will be bound by the entry date for the champions league.

The Dutch have banned meetings above 3 people so that's the efedivisie more or less done this year. They'll want the next season started rather than wait for the premier league to finish.

It's not just the premier league. Every league in every country are not in a position nor care right now if UEFA want to impose a deadline.

As per a subsequent post I put up, UEFA have today postponed this years CL and EL Final in May with no date yet.

They haven't made this seasons CL and EL void yet.

The qualifiers for next years CL starts in July and no league in any country in Europe can say right now they will be in a position to have teams ready for that.

UEFA will not run the CL without teams from the top leagues in Europe as they are the teams that generate the revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Poor Leeds might have to wait another season for promotion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement