Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Trigger wrote:
    The National league are still tiers in English football, with Promotions to League 2, there would then be ramifications for League 2 if they dont finish their seasons. you can almost guarantee that there is teams in league 2 and League 1 that would be in the same situations.

The top 2 leagues are were the money is alright but the FA will have to look at the overall picture, not just the top end when deciding it, they have an obligation to look after ALL of their clubs.

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Trigger wrote: »
    The National league are still tiers in English football, with Promotions to League 2, there would then be ramifications for League 2 if they dont finish their seasons. you can almost guarantee that there is teams in league 2 and League 1 that would be in the same situations.

The top 2 leagues are were the money is alright but the FA will have to look at the overall picture, not just the top end when deciding it, they have an obligation to look after ALL of their clubs.

And that is why the season cannot be voided it will effect 100 plus clubs if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And that is why the season cannot be voided it will effect 100 plus clubs if it is.

Not voided may not mean completed though. It could be called finished now based on the games already played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

brinty wrote: »
    I'm not dealing in hypotheticals, quote the post I responded to for context.

Someone, a Liverpool supporter I believe but I could be wrong, said city might lose players.

I said Liverpool could just as easily.

So could United, Chelsea or Arsenal and every other club.

It amazes Liverpool fans can throw out whatever they like on here and when it's suggested that could happen to them they get such a hive mentally,
    have to respond and get so offended by everything

Relax lads, it's only football ;) it's nothing serious, stop getting so worked up about it

The possible CL ban easily would explain why City may lose players
    Easy to understand for normal people.

Take your own advice & relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports today that the premier league are considering putting teams into hotels for several weeks like they would use during a world cup as a precaution. These quarantine camps would be their base until league is complete.

MD1990 wrote:
    The possible CL ban easily would explain why City may lose players Easy to understand for normal people.

So you quoted half of the post I responded too. Sounds like modus operandi Liverpool-us no 1 ;) pick what you want out of a post and respond to that..

The other half of the original post said English clubs could be ruled out of Europe.

I responded to a Liverpool supporters claim city could lose players as result of that.

As I've stated if English clubs were ruled out of Europe every club could be effected and lose players. United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, whomever

Brinty having a mare!

ricero wrote: »
    Reports today that the premier league are considering putting teams into hotels for several weeks like they would use during a world cup as a precaution. These quarantine camps would be their base until league is complete.

Sounds a bit mad.

Money and potential legal issues probably the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So you quoted half of the post I responded too. Sounds like modus operandi Liverpool-us no 1 ;) pick what you want out of a post and respond to that..

The other half of the original post said English clubs could be ruled out of Europe.

I responded to a Liverpool supporters claim city could lose players as result of that.

As I've stated if English clubs were ruled out of Europe every club could be effected and lose players. United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, whomever

this again. You are obsessed with Liverpool fans.

It is quite funny at this stage,
    Certaintly bringing some humour to this thread, Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What are you talking about?
    Where have I tried to make such a comparison?
    How on earth have you come up with that?

I responded to a statement saying the entirety of English football was in agreement on finishing the season, saying the non-league clubs (steps 4 and 5 i think) have already voted to end the season as they can't financially support the season being suspended indefinitely. They are part of English football.

Non-league clubs have not voted to end the season. The National League has asked to close the rest of the season for non-league football but you can see from the article that individual clubs are in disagreement of how it should end.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52039174

ricero wrote:

Pure fantasy

MD1990 wrote:
    this again. You are obsessed with Liverpool fans.

So as usual you quote part of what I said from a post and ignored the main part. Thanks for proving my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Give it a rest FFS. Back and forth is tedious and lads swallowing the bait whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

April 1st is not till next week

April 1st is not till next week

Jasus you try and change the topic from the usual ****e in this thread and bring back a discussion and this is the response ya get.

Anyway here's the article about it today in the independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-season-season-self-isolation-melissa-reddy-a9422291.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So the players cant see their families for 2 months. No way will that be a runner.

So the players cant see their families for 2 months. No way will that be a runner.

Think the idea is to play the remaining 9 games over three weeks.

I'm sure they be all sick of their familes during this isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm currently on day 17 of not seeing my family and I don't know when I'll get to fly home.
    I'm sure this would be a hell of a lot easier doing this and my family wouldn't mind that much if I was earning 150,000 a week. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

so the epl is going to pull police from the front line?

have emergency services on standby for players

english people are definitely going to attempt to congregate at or near the grounds especially if one of the fixtures involves a league win which it eventually will

this is a monumentally stupid and entirely selfish idea if it goes ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sounds like a great environment for the virus to spread.

• Advertisement

It won’t happen.

It’s going to wait like every other thing in UK

It won’t happen.

It’s going to wait like every other thing in UK

I wouldn't worry about it it is just an April fools newspaper article.

I wouldn't worry about it it is just an April fools newspaper article.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s what they did for Week 2 of the NRL in Australia. Was a nightmare and they succumbed to postponing the league instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah thats up there with Harry's "lets get them all infected and get the dose over with to finish the season" plan.

Sky News last night were talking about herd immunity may be close in the UK,if not there already. Doubt that tbh. They were saying the virus is in the UK since late January and up to 45,000,000 may already have been infected. Seems fanciful.

Encouraging there will be cheap home test kits for antibodies very soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How are we all feeling today then?

Null & void the season or extend indefinitely until it's finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Ha!!

Still the same, it will be ridiculous to null and void. Whenever it’s back, finish it..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/italian-football-season-could-finish-in-august-says-federation-president

Italian football estimating 45 - 60 days to complete the season and current optimistic hope is for August.

As the worst hit I'd say Italy and Spain will be the barometers on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Jasus you try and change the topic from the usual ****e in this thread and bring back a discussion and this is the response ya get.

Anyway here's the article about it today in the independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-season-season-self-isolation-melissa-reddy-a9422291.html

That article is just guess work.. pure guess work and never going to happen... judging by the likes you can see who laps it up.....:D:D

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/italian-football-season-could-finish-in-august-says-federation-president

Italian football estimating 45 - 60 days to complete the season and current optimistic hope is for August.

As the worst hit I'd say Italy and Spain will be the barometers on this

Italy and Spain are currently the worst hit but if you follow what is actually happening you would know that the UK stand a strong chance of being worse due to their very late response and still doing minimum testing.

Italy and Spain are currently the worst hit but if you follow what is actually happening you would know that the UK stand a strong chance of being worse due to their very late response and still doing minimum testing.

They seem to think they'll be out of it a lot quicker than expected. Sceptical myself.

8-10 wrote:

So nothing new to add today so let's rehash everything from yesterday, and the day before that, and the one before that too,

Here's a novel idea, how's about we all try and pick a greatest premier league 11 of all time

Each day we could pick one position.

Goal keeper

Right back

And so on

How does that sound

The only criteria is the player has to have won at least one premier league medal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So nothing new to add today so let's rehash everything from yesterday, and the day before that, and the one before that too,

Here's a novel idea, how's about we all try and pick a greatest premier league 11 of all time

Each day we could pick one position.

Goal keeper

Right back

And so on

How does that sound?

Yeah, the above could be interesting.....

6 wrote: »
    They seem to think they'll be out of it a lot quicker than expected. Sceptical myself.

They might be giving that opinion to the public to stop panic on the streets but I honestly don't think that those in power believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The only criteria is the player has to have won at least one premier league medal

Good idea until that last sentence.

Cech without a doubt the best keeper ever of the premier league era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Based on what?

ShamoBuc wrote:
    Yeah, the above could be interesting.....

Cheers mate, just doing my bit to try and help move the thread along

• Advertisement

No Goalkeeper can come above The Great Dane - Peter Schmeichel.

Seaman is ahead of Cech in my book, de Gea and van der Saar too

Cech would be ahead of Tim Howard, Fabian Barthez, Joe Hart,Mark Bosnich perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Peter Schmeichel is by far best goalie to play in the premiership. Nigel Martin would have to be up there too. Doubt Cech would make the top 5 to tell you the truth.

They might be giving that opinion to the public to stop panic on the streets but I honestly don't think that those in power believe it.

Yep, dangerous game to be playing.

Although I'd hope they know what they are doing!

joeguevara wrote:
    Peter Schmeichel is by far best goalie to play in the premiership. Nigel Martin would have to be up there too. Doubt Cech would make the top 5 to tell you the truth.

Don't think Martin win a premier league medal .

That's the only criteria for this, you have to have won a premier league medal.

I will say though that Nigel Martin was a great keeper back in the day.

Tim Flowers is a good shout too

Easily Cech. Was it 15 goals conceded in a season?

6 at home, 9 away

Best goalkeeper the league has ever seen.

Honourable mentions: Seaman, van der Sar, Alisson, Schmeichel

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote:
    Honourable mentions: Seaman, van der Sar, Alisson, Schmeichel

Alisson hasn't won a premier league medal, he doesn't count

The criteria is the player must've won a premier league medal

Newcastle fans raging with Ashley. Have been charged for next seasons tickets already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Don't think Martin win a premier league medal .

That's the only criteria for this, you have to have won a premier league medal.

I will say though that Nigel Martin was a great keeper back in the day.

Tim Flowers is a good shout too

Jaaskelainen would be a good shout too if it wasn’t for the medal criteria. Schmeichel is the best by far.

Alisson hasn't won a premier league medal, he doesn't count

I picked Cech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Good idea until that last sentence.

Can still include pool players... Sure Micheal Owen has a Premier league medal :):)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement