Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The more I think about there really can be only one winner and that is the invincible Lehmann and every other position would have to be filled by an invincible as they are the greatest ever premier league team.

Respect your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Baggly wrote: »
    You left a layman on your bed?

In layman's terms, yes

The Mulk wrote:
    For Valentines Day last year I told my wife I left the bed covered in a surprise for her, I gave her a clue that it was my favourite premiership goalkeepers second name, "OOh Tim Flowers she said"........I'm an Arsenal fan

You left a Tim Krul on her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

brinty wrote: »
    You left a Tim Krul on her ;)

I'd Given her my Hart already,

(Gets coat)

The Mulk wrote:
    I'd Given her my Hart already,

At least you S-Howard before things went a bit van der Saar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The more I think about there really can be only one winner and that is the invincible Lehmann and every other position would have to be filled by an invincible as they are the greatest ever premier league team.

I disagree with you ,
    The whole idea of a league campaign is to gain the maximum amount of points possible and Man City are currently the greatest team to do that ,

A team shutting up shop to get a draw (13 times in Arsenal case) for instance is not nearly as impressive to me as a team that keeps going trying to win every single game they play in,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What about Gerrard, van dijk, TAA, Suarez, Allison, Fowler, Jamie R & C.

I thought you were a Liverpool supporter.

Who you support shouldn't come into it if you're trying to objectively assess players in general....but your game your rules.

First Liverpool player I'd have is Mascherano in that team.

For me in the specific position of DM the best the league has seen is Claude Makelele. Basically defined the position himself and won 2 PL's.

So he's the only proper choice for me in your 'PL winner medal' midfield in the DM position. In your 'no PL winner medal' team it has to be Mascherano as best of the rest in that specific position. He was an incredible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yes yes....finally we have descended into the pun fest we knew this thread was to be....

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Thinking about this little genius today.

The season after they got Juninho they signed Ravanelli and got relegated :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Thinking about this little genius today.

The season after they got Juninho they signed Ravanelli and got relegated :eek:

Steve Gibson must be one of the best owners any club has ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

MD1990 wrote: »
    Their region has been decimated by the Coronavirus.

Have a budget of a championship club. Great team to watch as well.
    CL needs to be finished.

What Atalanta fans think of things..

https://i.imgur.com/NLEIibQ.png

8-10 wrote:
    Who you support shouldn't come into it if you're trying to objectively assess players in general....but your game your rules.

Yet you continuously use the party line and push Liverpool players above all others.

Given the criteria set out you've picked Chelsea players at every turn, I do believe. I could be wrong and hold my hands up if I am.

Is it that hard for you to say a Manchester United player or even an Arsenal player is one of the best in premier league history. Manchester city for that matter too.

Makelele was a superb player, one of the best to grace the premier league, but I think you'd be in a minority that would choose him in a midfield ahead of Keane, Vieira, Lampard,Scholes, De Bruyne,Fernandinho who I can think of off the top of my head.

But I respect you giving your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Steve Gibson must be one of the best owners any club has ever had.

Who was the Blackburn Rovers owner, Jack something? He's probably ahead of Gibson (in my books anyway).

The season after they got Juninho they signed Ravanelli and got relegated

Emerson too? Or was that the same time

Was Ravanellis first game the hat trick v Liverpool in those cream jersies?

Who was the Blackburn Rovers owner, Jack something? He's probably ahead of Gibson (in my books anyway).

Walker

Yet you continuously use the party line and push Liverpool players above all others.

Given the criteria set out you've picked Chelsea players at every turn, I do believe. I could be wrong and hold my hands up if I am.

Is it that hard for you to say a Manchester United player or even an Arsenal player is one of the best in premier league history. Manchester city for that matter too.

Makelele was a superb player, one of the best to grace the premier league, but I think you'd be in a minority that would choose him in a midfield ahead of Keane, Vieira, Lampard,Scholes, De Bruyne,Fernandinho who I can think of off the top of my head.

Depends what kind a team your picking ,
    If your picking a functional team with 3 midfielders hers in every day ,If your picking just the 3 best on there own merit he isn't in it,

One I never get is how some people say Scholes was better player than Gerrard If you look at there individual awards when they played it wasn't even close ,

Don't get me wrong Scholes was a great player but Gerrard had literally everything , on his day he was a world wind , he would won countless games on his own ,

I really do think without question the greatest midfielder in Premier league history ,

Emerson too? Or was that the same time

Was Ravanellis first game the hat trick v Liverpool in those cream jersies?

Yes same time and yes aul white feather scored a hatrick on his debut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Jack Walker.

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1243194742952910848

How long before the top leagues go the same way.

Cant have different sets of rules for leagues run by the same FA. If the upper leagues aren't treated the same it would be an unprecedented step and open up a can of worms that would bring down the FA.

Now Stone is about as reliable as Ornstein. I think he's full of BS but some swear by him. Make up your own mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1243194742952910848

How long before the top leagues go the same way.

Cant have different sets of rules for leagues run by the same FA. If the upper leagues aren't treated the same it would be an unprecedented step and open up a can of worms that would bring down the FA.

Now Stone is about as reliable as Ornstein. I think he's full of BS but some swear by him. Make up your own mind

lol. The stuff you come up with . The FA have no say on the PL or EFL.

Jack Walker.

People forget how much money he spent for Blackburn to win the league ,

They really spent a fortune at the time on transfers for 94/95 season 14.7m which was the highest that season until January when United went and broke the transfer record and spent 7m on Cole which was massive at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

People forget how much money he spent for Blackburn to win the league ,

They really spent a fortune at the time on transfers for 94/95 season 14.7m which was the highest that season until January when United went and broke the transfer record and spent 7m on Cole which was massive at the time

Who forgets? Its constantly brought up as Blackburn buying the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

So wait, it's now players that have won the premier league that don't play for Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What Atalanta fans think of things..

https://i.imgur.com/NLEIibQ.png
    Makes sense.

3 united and 2.5 arsenal players would make my team

So the FA the governing body of the country in which these leagues operate under has no say in them. Ok, I'll let you think about that....

Things are really starting to come to a head and some people just can't accept it might not go their way.

As I've said repeatedly if that means that my team Manchester united spends another year in the Europa league so be it.

Football is a minor and inconsequential thing given whats happening globally right now

adaminho wrote: »
    So wait, it's now players that have won the premier league that don't play for Chelsea?

could you reread the post please. I said I repsected the poster opinion and stated that maybe he's a little biased (we're all guilty of it). I said i think the majority of people wouldn't pick Makelele but respect his decision to do so as is his right.

8-10 wrote: »
    3 united and 2.5 arsenal players would make my team

That's fair, everyone has an opinion, none mopre valued or acceoted than the toher

Just out of interest how do you have 2.5 Arsenal players? That's an odd one for me?

• Advertisement

Things are really starting to come to a head and some people just can't accept it might not go their way

Pretty much your posts for the last week!

Pretty much your posts for the last week!

Yep I've been consistent in what I've said, thank you.

That's fair, everyone has an opinion, none mopre valued or acceoted than the toher

Just out of interest how do you have 2.5 Arsenal players? That's an odd one for me?

I'd have Ashley Cole at left back, think it would be unfair to count him fully for Arsenal. He won an extra PL with them but got more appearances for Chelsea so I'd count him for both really

So the FA the governing body of the country in which these leagues operate under has no say in them. Ok, I'll let you think about that....

Things are really starting to come to a head and some people just can't accept it might not go their way.

As I've said repeatedly if that means that my team Manchester united spends another year in the Europa league so be it.

Football is a minor and inconsequential thing given whats happening globally right now

It is the governing body of the National League & below.

The Premier League & the EFL are seperate entities with their own rules.

If they cancelled the season it would be their decision nothing to do with the FA.

I'd have Ashley Cole at left back, think it would be unfair to count him fully for Arsenal. He won an extra PL with them but got more appearances for Chelsea so I'd count him for both really

Fully understandable

could you reread the post please. I said I repsected the poster opinion and stated that maybe he's a little biased (we're all guilty of it). I said i think the majority of people wouldn't pick Makelele but respect his decision to do so as is his right.

Yet you named Fernandinho ahead of him. Do you think that City would have signed him (Fernandinho) if Makale hadn't been such a success, the man literally has a position named after him!

• Advertisement

Another one in the team that I don't think anyone could really argue with , What a player Ashley Cole was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if anybody is picking any goalkeeper apart from Peter Schmeichel, they either hate Man Utd or they have never seen Peter Schmeichel play.

not only was he the best keeper to ever play in England, he will probably go down as one of the greatest keepers in the history of the game

bangkok wrote: »
    if anybody is picking any goalkeeper apart from Peter Schmeichel, they either hate Man Utd or they have never seen Peter Schmeichel play.

not only was he the best keeper to ever play in England, he will probably go down as one of the greatest keepers in the history of the game

It's subjective though, you could argue Cech conceded less goals or Lehman went unbeaten. If you really want to be pedantic how many world cup winners played in goals in the top flight! Not pissing on Schmeichel (I'd probably agree with you) just that he a a few bad seasons in the PL (first season with Utd in the old FD and later with Villa and City) Edit. Barthez but I doubt many Utd fans would have him up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The FA hold Veto power over any changes to PL rules.. so to say they have no say is incorrect, i think they also have a say on who is in charge

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/players-out-of-contract-will-have-to-stay-at-clubs-until-season-is-completed-pl3jshgcs

players will be forced to stay at their clubs to finish season after June 30th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

You missed the post where he said "my game, my rules"!! :pac::pac:

dogbert27 wrote: »
    You missed the post where he said "my game, my rules"!! :pac::pac:

Which rules? The original rules or the one's where you could only vote for players he approved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dont think that can happen in Europe, the Bosman ruling made certain of that. It's a messy thing to try and change a legal binding contract. Contracts finish on June 30th. If a player is forced to stay at a club beyond that it will be challenged to the European Courts, no way will they find in Fifa's favour, otherwise it would open up for companys to give short term contracts to employees and then force them to stay until they are happy to let them leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Which rules? The original rules or the one's where you could only vote for pla6he approved?

His game, his rules, therefore his rules are subject to change to his liking.

Otherwise he's taking his ball and going home! (If only! :pac::pac:)

dogbert27 wrote:
    Otherwise he's taking his ball and going home! (If only! )

Nailed it

adaminho wrote:
    Which rules? The original rules or the one's where you could only vote for pla6he approved?

Go check my original post ;)

Clearly says only premier league winner players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Go check my original post ;)

Clearly says only premier league winner players

Does it really matter though? I probably wouldn't have anyone who never won it in a best ever team and it is a good ploy as these kind of things are normally spoiled by a certain team having an inflated view of their players but sure you might as well let them pretend VVD can be rated higher than Vidic or Ferdinand...

Liam O wrote:
    Does it really matter though? I probably wouldn't have anyone who never won it in a best ever team and it is a good ploy as these kind of things are normally spoiled by a certain team having an inflated view of their players but sure you might as well let them pretend VVD can be rated higher than Vidic or Ferdinand...

It's a twist on things. People are sick of the same thing over and over so something new, voila.

I mean some would argue the best 11 of all time in the premier league era is this current Liverpool team.

No room for any players from clubs who won 13 and 4 titles in United Chelsea Arsenal and citeh in the current Liverpool 11. Can't improve on perfection and that.

As I say it's purely subjective but it's something to do in the current malaise of no football

Trigger wrote: »
    Dont think that can happen in Europe, the Bosman ruling made certain of that. It's a messy thing to try and change a legal binding contract. Contracts finish on June 30th. If a player is forced to stay at a club beyond that it will be challenged to the European Courts, no way will they find in Fifa's favour, otherwise it would open up for companys to give short term contracts to employees and then force them to stay until they are happy to let them leave.

Most of the players would agree to play out 9 games.
    If not then it would be awful pr for a player who not agree.

Going to court after a pandemic over a contract having to play 9 games you would look an idiot

Most would not be as petty as some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Most of the players would agree to play out 9 games.
    If not then it would be awful pr for a player who not agree.

Going to court after a pandemic over a contract having to play 9 games you would look an idiot

Most would not be as petty as some people.

Millions of pounds/euro/whatever on the line. Pettiness is relative I guess...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement