Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brinty wrote: »
    Sounds like a a complete back track

Named Adam Johnson

Who never played for Liverpool, pretty sure her never won a premier league medal, and was jailed for child grooming and sexual activity with a minor

I’ve absolutely no idea what point you’re trying to make?

Are you trying to say it was more nefarious than making a mistake? (Adam Johnson did win the league by the way, with City).

Though to be honest I’ve never got any idea what point you’re ever making beyond “Fuck Liverpool”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

My team:
    Cech

GNev - Kompany - Terry - Cole

Ronaldo - Makelele - Vieira - Giggs

Henry - Shearer

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mascherano

Zola wasn't bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

8-10 wrote: »
    My team:

Easy

not sure how Makelele goes into the team ahead of Roy Keane.

madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

6 wrote: »
    Zola wasn't bad

Yeah, the time period is just too long really, and of course we'll all have a bit of recency bias. Even Bergkamp perhaps deserves to be in the conversation. Or lads like Jimmy Floyd (ok maybe not really, but I bloody loved Jimmy Floyd).

The "only league winners" thing sorta makes a nonsense of it too, because it no longer becomes the best players... it's a bit of a weird arbitrary choice, as the best players are not always at the best teams. Discounts some incredible lads like Le Tissier, Gerrard, Suarez, Zola etc.

A more interesting one is actually the opposite perhaps - the best Premier League 11 from players who never won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, the time period is just too long really, and of course we'll all have a bit of recency bias. Even Bergkamp perhaps deserves to be in the conversation. Or lads like Jimmy Floyd (ok maybe not really, but I bloody loved Jimmy Floyd).

The "only league winners" thing sorta makes a nonsense of it too, because it no longer becomes the best players... it's a bit of a weird arbitrary choice, as the best players are not always at the best teams. Discounts some incredible lads like Le Tissier, Gerrard, Suarez, Zola etc.

A more interesting one is actually the opposite perhaps - the best Premier League 11 from players who never won the league.

now that's an interesting one in fairness.

the current liverpool 11? :pac:

gimme a while to have a think.

best 11 always revolves around the same ~25 players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:
    Mascherano

Never won a premier league medal but a solid player. As one of your own said makelele was probably better

6 wrote:
    Zola wasn't bad

Never won a premier league medal but a fine player.

• Advertisement

Allison

trent
    van djik
    lovern
    robertson

Henderson
    keita
    fabinho

salah
    firmino
    mane

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

sorry, couldnt resist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

bangkok wrote: »
    not sure how Makelele goes into the team ahead of Roy Keane.

madness

that's opinions for you, sure you'll have some people even tell you Scholes was better than Gerrard

~Rebel~ wrote:

I said I'd do one after this

No problem at all

gimli2112 wrote: »
    that's opinions for you, sure you'll have some people even tell you Scholes was better than Gerrard

ask 100 football supporters who they would have in an all time premier league league 11, makelele or keane, 99 will pick keane no question

gimli2112 wrote:

Because Scholes was better than Gerrard

Zidane said scholes was the best he ever played against.

That's good enough for me

But again each to their own

Trick question? Liverpool 2019-2020!

gimli2112 wrote:
    Trick question? Liverpool 2019-2020!

A combined 11 perhaps, wouldn't deny that

Wouldn't rule out that 95/96 Newcastle team though, they were cursed

It's funny but I remember an Ipswich team from the 80s that ran us close. It's amazing how many of them I remember. Paul Cooper, Mick Mills, Terry Butcher, Eric Gates, Alan Brazil, Franz Thijsen, Aarnold Muhren, Irish lad O'Callaghan, Paul Mariner, John Wark

best 11 to never win a league

james

carragher
    hyypia----dunne

Gerrard
    mata---speed
    bale

suarez
    defoe
    torres

• Advertisement

There are lots of players who made their mark back in the early stages of the league who are all but forgotten now when it comes to these kinds of debates. For example, Dean Saunders had a good season the year Villa went for the title. Tony Yeboah was a joy to watch at Leeds for a season or two.

No way anyone like Yeboah or Saunders are getting near an all-time PL first 11 though unless we narrow the parameters.

We could list our greatest 11s made up of players who didn't win a PL title. Oh, and because this forum is fúcking nuts - we can only pick one player each from United and Liverpool.

Edit: I see a few of you have had that idea already.

Speed won with Leeds, didn't he? unless the First Division doesn't count

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Drogba yet

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Drogba yet

or van Nistelrooy

non current players that have never won the PL..

bale
    le tiss
    eriksson
    les ferdinand maybe?..who else was in that newcastle team?
    ginola i suppose
    suarez
    stevie g
    gareth barry, did he win with city?
    sami

my few selections still revolves round big 6 teams for the most part.

An 11 that never played for the 'big 6'?, or won the league? that would require a bit more thought

• Advertisement

Good shout on Le Tissier. There was a period he was unreal in quite a lousy Southampton side.

I don't think Newcastle had that many stars other than those mentioned. Asprilla,Peacock, the Belgian chap, Rob Lee, Batty

bale le tiss eriksson les ferdinand maybe?..who else was in that newcastle team? ginola i suppose suarez stevie g gareth barry, did he win with city? sami

Les Ferdinand didn't, Tino asprillia, Ginola was in that team

Garden Barry won with city I believe couple if good calls for non winners there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never won a premier league medal but a solid player. As one of your own said makelele was probably better

Alonso, then

non current players that have never won the PL..

bale
    le tiss
    eriksson
    les ferdinand maybe?..who else was in that newcastle team?
    ginola i suppose
    suarez
    stevie g
    gareth barry, did he win with city?
    sami

Yeah Barry won it with City.

Okacha for Bolton was class. Di Canio another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

james

carragher
    hyypia----dunne

Gerrard
    mata---speed
    bale

suarez
    defoe
    torres

Brad Friedal never won a PL and he was brilliant keeper. Shay Given as well. Both better than James.

Woodgate and King are worth a mention in CB.

No Gascoinge or Ginola mentioned either?

Le Tisser up top?

• Advertisement

Les Ferdinand, great shout. He was a goal machine at Newcastle.

noodler wrote:
    Alonso, then

Alonso never won a premier league medal either

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Brad Friedal never won a PL and he was brilliant keeper. Shay Given as well. Both better than James.

Woodgate and King are worth a mention in CB.

Le Tisser up top?

Given won the Premier League with Blackburn

james

carragher
    hyypia----dunne

Gerrard
    mata---speed
    bale

suarez
    defoe
    torres

Reina would be better than James in goal

TitianGerm wrote:

Did Gascoigne even play premier league?

Thought he left before it started?

Given won the Premier League with Blackburn

Flowers played that season though? Did Given even have a league appearance that season?

dogbert27 wrote:
    Reina would be better than James in goal

Sander westerveld or jerzy dudek too

I think james was possibly the worst keeper pool had in the premier league era?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Flowers played that season though? Did Given even have a league appearance that season?

Yeah but Given won a medal as sub goalkeeper

ehm I can think of two I'd prefer not to remember

Did Gascoigne even play premier league?

Thought he left before it started?

No sure he played with Middleborough in the late 90s and was at Everton in 00-01 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote:

I don't think he did. In fact wasn't Bobby Momma their back up

Given was still a youth keeper I do believe. Could be wrong

TitianGerm wrote:
    No sure he played with Middleborough in the late 90s and was at Everton in 00-01 or thereabouts.

No you're right he did ðŸ‘

dogbert27 wrote:

Bolton had some class players at that time

Ivan Campo
    Youri Djorkaeff
    Ivan helguera
    Jussi jaskelainen
    Fernando hierro

In terms of Liverpool yeah he was. Addicted to Play Station and couldn't concentrate in games apparently. :rolleyes:

Grobelaar wasn't great towards the end of his career in the 90's and had the whole match fixing thing hanging over him.

Friedal also didn't play well for Liverpool but like James improved a lot when he went to Blackburn.

But in the premier league era overall for a keeper from any club not to have won the league I think Reina would top the keepers. He was challenging Cech and Van der Saar consistently for a number of seasons winning the golden gloves for 2 or 3 seasons.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Good shout on Le Tissier. There was a period he was unreal in quite a lousy Southampton side.

I don't think Newcastle had that many stars other than those mentioned. Asprilla,Peacock, the Belgian chap, Rob Lee, Batty

have a feeling utd were in for him at some stage?

dogbert27 wrote:
    But in the premier league era overall for a keeper from any club not to have won the league I think Reina would top the keepers. He was challenging Cech and Van der Saar consistently for a number of seasons winning the golden gloves for 2 or 3 seasons.

That's quite fair

No you're right he did ðŸ‘

Yea I just looked it up myself. He was there are they got promoted again with Robson. Obviously his best years were behind him at that stage.

Yeah Barry won it with City.

and then there's the chelsea french contingent...desailly, lebouf, deschamps, djorkouef (sp?) at fulham as well

have a feeling utd were in for him at some stage?

He was certainly strongly linked with Liverpool, You have to admire the loyalty he showed Southampton.Think they were relegated the year after he retired. Always liked him.

• Advertisement

and then there's the chelsea french contingent...desailly, lebouf, deschamps, djorkouef (sp?) at fulham as well

Plus their Italians Vialli, Di Matteo with Zola

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement