Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brinty wrote: »
    Bolton had some class players at that time

Ivan Campo
    Youri Djorkaeff
    Ivan helguera
    Jussi jaskelainen
    Fernando hierro

Before Sam became a total pragmatist, he had a few great teams. In his first few seasons after coming up especially.

Along with the lads you mention and the previously mentioned Okacha, there was Giannakopoulos, Anelka, Nolan (great at his peak), Davies, Speed, Ben Haim, Even N'Gotty and Vaz Te I was a fan of. Even bad-boy Diouf did very well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243291134006194176

Premier League goal of the day!

Johnson would be my right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1243291134006194176

Premier League goal of the day!

Johnson would be my right back

Before his decline, he really was absolutely incredible. Unbelievable athlete, looked faster and stronger than just about anyone on the pitch. Lovely footballer on top too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Plus their Italians Vialli, Di Matteo with Zola

vialli lifted the champions league with juve in 96.

still remember di matteo's goal in the fa cup final.

ravanelli as well with boro, plus juninho. some amount of good players!

gimli2112 wrote: »
    He was certainly strongly linked with Liverpool, You have to admire the loyalty he showed Southampton.Think they were relegated the year after he retired. Always liked him.

yeah. he's from one of the channel islands so was always a home bird i guess.

maybe it was the pool i was thinking of.

he's been coming out with a few clangers recently. thought the 1st one was a rip the piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yeah. he's from one of the channel islands so was always a home bird i guess.

maybe it was the pool i was thinking of.

he's been coming out with a few clangers recently. thought the 1st one was a rip the piss

I actually listened to Paul Merson on the Carragher podcast yesterday and it's amazing he was even able to play never mind be such a good player.

Imagine how good the players of that era would have been if they looked after themselves like players nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea I just looked it up myself. He was there are they got promoted again with Robson. Obviously his best years were behind him at that stage.

Gazza is very much in the category of very good players that played in the PL rather than players that were very good in the pl.

If Messi came to the PL for a season at the end of his carrier and was absolute dirt, he shouldn't be anywhere near contention for a best PL players list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Before his decline, he really was absolutely incredible. Unbelievable athlete, looked faster and stronger than just about anyone on the pitch. Lovely footballer on top too.

Hi decline was early and pronounced though. I don't think he should be in the conversation personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gazza is very much in the category of very good players that played in the PL rather than players that were very good in the pl.

Brian Laudrup, Fernando Morientes, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ian Rush, John Barnes and Jari Litmanen come to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alonso never won a premier league medal either

Riera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:
    Riera.

Are you just throwing out random names now?

Riera never won a premier league medal

I'll give you alonso was a fine player but then again we taught him all he knew in Kells ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll give you alonso was a fine player but then again we taught him all he knew in Kells ;)

Pfffff......sissoko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Could it have been a misspelled Viera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Question?
    If you could pick any Premier league player ever to play in your current line up who would you pick?

I think Shearer would excel at Utd.
    Le Tissier could easily do the Firmino role at Liverpool.
    Arsenal would kill for someone like Rio Ferdinand at the back.
    City would love to have Makelele in midfield
    I think Henry would suit Chelsea right now.
    How good would Spurs be with Schmeichel in goal?

It doesn't have to be a different team i.e. you can put a past player in.
    Edit: You can choose current players also.

adaminho wrote: »
    Question?
    If you could pick any Premier league player ever to play in your current line up who would you pick?

Except youd need about 8 of him to cover the distance run :D

Except youd need about 8 of him to cover the distance run :D

In fairness I tried to pick a weak spot in every top Six side which is difficult with that Liverpool team :D

In fairness I tried to pick a weak spot in every top Six side which is difficult with that Liverpool team :D

To be fair, I'd say Le Tiss would struggle having to run as much as a top level keeper does nowadays. :pac::pac:

Question?

is this an established team (be it current pool, utd treble, arsenal invincibles, etc), that you would like (whoever) in your team at that time?

for example, ronaldo would improve current pool. but the law of diminishing returns say you should invest in keane/gerrard/scholes/lampard/yaya/KDB/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I loved Le Tisser as a player and he truely was a great footballer however no he couldn't do the Firmino role.

Le Tiss could do the Coutinho role he could do the anywhere across an old fashioned midfield 4 he could do a 10 but he couldn't cover the ground attacking or defending the Bobby does.

Le Tiss just didn't run unless the ball was at his feet.

is this an established team (be it current pool, utd treble, arsenal invincibles, etc), that you would like (whoever) in your team at that time?

for example, ronaldo would improve current pool. but the law of diminishing returns say you should invest in keane/gerrard/scholes/lampard/yaya/KDB/etc.

Who would improve your current team. I'm looking more at where past players would fit in your team rather than X player is the best in the world right now.

As for the Le Tiss vs Firmino debate the only time Matt ran was for a fish supper :D
    It was more of a case that he had that bit of magic up his sleeve to put through a ball or stick one in the top corner!

• Advertisement

not really related but listen to the 1st 2 seconds

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11964220/anderson-id-play-in-hundred-to-keep-fit

the more i think about it, and with a date set next summer for the euros, i think there is a good chance next season might be scrapped entirely.

euros meant to kickoff: june 2020. delay by 1 year: june 2021

that means we have from now until may 2021 (give the players a month for international warmup) to get 2 (1.5 seasons really) seasons finished. thats 13 months (with no breaks) until players go on international duty.

rule out the next 2 months (maybe more), thats 11 months. finishing this season will take 2 months across europe, giving 9 months to complete next season + international playoffs.

now that i type that, if the euros are pushed out until august 2021; and given the above assumptions; you have 11 months to finish next season, along with the 2 months to finish this season. assuming that you have the euros in aug 2021, finish sep 2021. world cup is scheduled for Nov/Dec 2022. That means going straight from a euros into a world cup.

all the above are me trying to work out potential scenarios. if the 2 month hiatus is pushed out the above falls apart because there is not the time in the calendar. especially if fifa wont move on the world cup (highly unlikely, and I would argue the clock everyone is beating to).

the above doesn't account for international friendlies. they may need to go, and world cup qualification based upon euro (or the respective federation) stadings (lawsuits?, most likely).

my semi drunk musings trying to work out timelines :pac:

i was of the firm belief that next season needs to be preserved (even at the expense of finishing this one), but now, looking at the calendar, not sure that feasible

ETA: strike though: i forgot nearly a year i think. will revise in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Only good thing about all this football being cancelled is that there’s no international break !!!

There’s more to football than you think

https://youtu.be/WNKTJeFJEaA

Les Ferdinand didn't, Tino asprillia, Ginola was in that team

Garden Barry won with city I believe couple if good calls for non winners there

Les Ferdinand is one of my favourite players ever and I’d have him in the Spurs team now in a heartbeat. As i would Ginola.

Robbie Keane is also one of the best players not to win a title. But I am biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

How about everyone picks their PL 5 a side team, but only using players starting with the first letter of their username? Just have to include a GK and a defensive player.

Friedel
    Fernandinho
    Fabregas
    Firmino
    Fowler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/fpsz91/david_ornstein_for_the_athletic_growing_appetite/?ref=share&ref_source=link

More musing’s from a Ornstein this morning calling for league to be scrapped. I’m sure some other journalist will counter it today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Everton need a Ruud type striker.

FitzShane wrote: »
    How about everyone picks their PL 5 a side team, but only using players starting with the first letter of their username? Just have to include a GK and a defensive player.

Friedel
    Fernandinho
    Fabregas
    Firmino
    Fowler

Schemical
    Blanking on a defender. Staunton :pac:
    Silva
    Scholes
    Shearer

Jaskellainen
    John Terry
    Juninho
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only good thing about all this football being cancelled is that there’s no international break !!!

I be happy to watch San Marino v Andorra now in a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Question?

All good shouts ......but Le Tisser in the Firmino roles is an absolutely awful call ,
    Le Tisser was know for being absolutely awful off the ball He always syas it himself he never ran around at all and Firmino greatest strength is the sheer amount of work he gets through ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/fpsz91/david_ornstein_for_the_athletic_growing_appetite/?ref=share&ref_source=link

More musing’s from a Ornstein this morning calling for league to be scrapped. I’m sure some other journalist will counter it today

I’m surprised this is the case.

But I’m 50/50 on it now as to if it will or not, before I was certain it would

It’s a pure cluster wreck

To be fair, I'd say Le Tiss would struggle having to run as much as a top level keeper does nowadays. :pac::pac:

At half time during a game Steve Bruce went absolute mental at Ben Arfa and could show him on the opta stats that there goal covered more yards than him :D:D Last time he ever wore a Hull shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

All good shouts ......but Le Tisser in the Firmino roles is an absolutely awful call ,
    Le Tisser was know for being absolutely awful off the ball He always syas it himself he never ran around at all and Firmino greatest strength is the sheer amount of work he gets through ,

Also the amount of tactical fouls he gets away with. Though he's calmed down on that a bit recently.

Liam O wrote: »
    Also the amount of tactical fouls he gets away with. Though he's calmed down on that a bit recently.

The aul run behond you and clip your legs with my hands up in the air trick :D

I think Liverpool are a lot more measured now in attack and not as frantic so its not needed as much to stop counter attacks ,

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Haven’t seen Le Tissier foul anyone in years to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If the Chinese league can get back up soon they might get some savage audiences on tv.

Drumpot wrote: »
    If the Chinese league can get back up soon they might get some savage audiences on tv.

Indeed, we could be eating each other by then but have football to watch, good enough for me :pac:

Indeed, we could be eating each other by then but have football to watch, good enough for me :pac:

Football back? Eating each other out :pac:

Eating each other out :pac:

Thats what she said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't think the Aussie league got huge tv audiences last week before that too has been postponed

Football back? Eating each other out :pac:

Nah, by then there will be blue murder in most households/relationships. The boredom sex/rekindling phase will have long passed and we'll be into "Could you blink quieter ya c**t!" territory.

Divorce rate spiked in China in the aftermath of the virus peak and period of self-isolation :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Had a look on wiki, he only played 1 season the EPL. Fairly mad. I thought he was around longer.

EDIT: I am wrong! He played for Derby afterwards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Barthez
    Blanc
    Beckham
    Butt
    Best

bangkok wrote: »
    Barthez
    Blanc
    Beckham
    Butt
    Best

Leon best? Surely a better player than that?

Don't think the Aussie league got huge tv audiences last week before that too has been postponed

In fairness, the Chinese league is a stronger one with better quality and higher profile players we may actually know. Including Fellaini when hes fully recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

joeguevara wrote: »
    Leon best? Surely a better player than that?

Georgie ;)

bangkok wrote: »
    Georgie ;)

Not sure Georgie played in the premiership.

Dont know what made me think of that Middlesboro team of 1996, but that was some mad team to go down. Some quality players, they get to cup finals and end up relegated. .

I remember that same season that Chelsea, early EPL, having similarly talented and under performing squad (Gullet, Zola, Vialli, Di Matteo).

I think that was around the time the EPL really did start to take off while attracting top quality players (all beit near other end of their careers). Those were great times.

Dont know what made me think of that Middlesboro team of 1996, but that was some mad team to go down. Some quality players, they get to cup finals and end up relegated. .

I remember that same season that Chelsea, early EPL, having similarly talented and under performing squad (Gullet, Zola, Vialli, Di Matteo).

I think that was around the time the EPL really did start to take off while attracting top quality players (all beit near other end of their careers). Those were great times.

Juninho, Ravanelli and Karembeau for Boro. PL was pure magic back then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement