Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

ozzy jr wrote: »
    If they finish it off behind closed doors it will show once and for all that they don't give two f***s about fans.

If fans can't attend because we are still on lockdown then it should be ended.

Fans create the tension, the tribal atmosphere, and the very soul of what professional football is all about. The fact they can even consider the 'closed door' option shows how little they understand or care about the game other than the cash.

On an emotional level I understand what you're saying.

On a financial level gate receipts are a small percentage of overall income and it's better for clubs to finish the seasons and get their finances in order for the said same fans to get the best out of the teams that they support.

Behind closed doors if chosen as an option will need to be understood by fans in these times.
    I for one would much rather see football games on the tv then not being played at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

For me, to finish this current season then all cup competitions should be completed too along with the League season, if all competitions cannot be finished then the whole season should be null and void, you cannot scrape the FA cup and European competitions yet finish the League campaign........It is either all or nothing.......

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    For me, to finish this current season then all cup competitions should be completed too along with the League season, if all competitions cannot be finished then the whole season should be null and void, you cannot scrape the FA cup and European competitions yet finish the League campaign........It is either all or nothing.......

Quarters, Semis and Final of the FA Cup could be done in a week similar to the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Quarters, Semis and Final of the FA Cup could be done in a week similar to the World Cup

same as the European Competitions, I would like the season to be concluded but for me it has to be all competitions or none.......... June and July to finish everything, players have August off, a mini pre season training camp for 2 weeks in September and then new season starts first weekend in October, No league cup next season for England and International friendlies cut out and only get together training for Countries and International friendlies start next May in preperation for EURO Championships......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If they finish it off behind closed doors it will show once and for all that they don't give two f***s about fans.

If fans can't attend because we are still on lockdown then it should be ended.

Fans create the tension, the tribal atmosphere, and the very soul of what professional football is all about. The fact they can even consider the 'closed door' option shows how little they understand or care about the game other than the cash.

I doubt fans would care to much given that their would be something on the TV to watch! Which is were 90% of fans are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Why would it being okay to play behind closed doors be another plus to cancel the season?

Being okay to play behind closed doors allows this season to be completed with games televised to the masses.

By saying when it's safe to do so I'm assuming you mean with full stadiums. What if that's not until November?
    How will the European Competitions fit in to that?
    How will the leagues finish in time for Euros 2021?

If it's safe to play behind closed doors then this season can be finished and a new season can start behind closed doors until it is safe for supporters to attend stadiums again.

They won’t play behind closed as thousands of fans will still turn up and stand outside putting a huge drain on emergency services

They won’t play behind closed as thousands of fans will still turn up and stand outside putting a huge drain on emergency services

That happened in the early days of this pandemic. It won't happen now as authorities will be aware of it.

Also the threat to fans can be that if they congregate outside their home stadiums then the game will be abandoned and the points go to the away team.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    same as the European Competitions, I would like the season to be concluded but for me it has to be all competitions or none.......... June and July to finish everything, players have August off, a mini pre season training camp for 2 weeks in September and then new season starts first weekend in October, No league cup next season for England and International friendlies cut out and only get together training for Countries and International friendlies start next May in preperation for EURO Championships......
    International friendlys have been replaced by the nations league and the likes
    With the Euros delayed tho I don’t know will that have an impact but countries playing in the euro finals will want games with their players in advance and won’t agree imo to not been allowed call players up for domestic leagues benefit if it hinders their own preparation

That happened in the early days of this pandemic. It won't happen now as authorities will be aware of it.

Also the threat to fans can be that if they congregate outside their home stadiums then the game will be abandoned and the points go to the away team.

But the emergency services will still have to be on hand Incase they didn’t listen. Stewards would have no power to tell people to move away from public areas outside stadiums. That’s a policing matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The UKs deputy CMO said today that it could be 6 months before the UK gets back to normal with restrictions relaxed. Its either empty stadiums or no football until October.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1244287344817176578?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I doubt fans would care to much given that their would be something on the TV to watch! Which is were 90% of fans are

I dont know about that. I watched PSG game that was behind closed doors. It was depressing watching it.

I realise the majority of people on this forum would be TV fans first and foremost and only go to the occassional game though.

I miss attending matches, not watching them on tv.

I dont know about that. I watched PSG game that was behind closed doors. It was depressing watching it.

I realise the majority of people on this forum would be TV fans first and foremost and only go to the occassional game though.

I miss attending matches, not watching them on tv.

Depressing watching a game because there was no crowd? I didn't realize people watched football for the crowd.

Of course people will miss attending matches but if you're offering a choice of watch football on TV. Or no football? I would think the choice is obvious.

Considering the money you'd save you'd be able to attend even more games when it's back anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The UKs deputy CMO said today that it could be 6 months before the UK gets back to normal with restrictions relaxed. Its either empty stadiums or no football until October.

Bigger question how is if they do chancel this season, will they be able start next season confident enough that it will go off without a hitch?

Might end up concluding that there is less risk finishing this season and using it to figure out how to run football with these types of restrictions hanging over us for a time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Unless a vaccination is found for this virus there won't be any football this time next year,, no one knows how long it will take before one is rolled out, its only then you can put a timeline on things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unless a vaccination is found for this virus there won't be any football this time next year,, no one knows how long it will take before one is rolled out, its only then you can put a timeline on things

They've already entered the human trial stage on a number of potential vaccines - but there is an up-to 14 month observation period of the test subjects for side effects etc. And then even if they find that one is successful and non-harmful, you have the manufacturing process of producing it en-masse. First doses will go to the most vulnerable, but you're looking at probably another 6 months before everyone has access to it.

So all in all the earliest we should be expecting anything like a vaccine solution is 18 months to 2 years.

I could see society starting to open up well before then, but that could be how long we have to wait for proper mass gatherings like concerts and matches to be sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Depressing watching a game because there was no crowd? I didn't realize people watched football for the crowd.

You must have read all the posts about atmosphere, empty seats, songs, flags, ultra displays, away fans etc. Supporter culture plays a huge part in my enjoyment of the game.
    Considering the money you'd save you'd be able to attend even more games when it's back anyway

My season ticket is already paid for and it only costs me about €4 on top of that per game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cancelling this season will leave the next European comps like this as those leagues not finished can not nominate teams to take part.

Champions League
    Dynamo Brest - Belarus
    Djurgadens - Sweden
    Molde - Norway
    Astana - Kazakhstan
    Sheriff Tirapol - Moldova
    Dundalk - Ireland
    KuPS - Finland
    KR - Iceland
    Suduva - Lithuania
    Riga - Latvia
    Flora - Estonia
    Dinamo Tblisi - Georgia
    Ki Klaksvik - Faroe Islands

Europa League
    Viking - Norway
    Bodo/Glimt - Norway
    Rosenborg - Norway
    Kaisar - Kazakhstan
    Kairat - Kazakhstan
    Ordabasy - Kazakhstan
    BATE Boriso - Belarus
    Shakhtor Soligorsk - Belarus
    Malmo - Sweden
    Hammarby - Sweden
    Sfantul Gheorghe - Moldova
    Petrocub Hincesti - Moldova
    Shamrock Rovers - Ireland
    Bohemians - Ireland
    Derry City - Ireland
    Ilves - Finland
    Inter Turky - Finland
    Honka - Finland
    Vikingur Reykjavik - Iceland
    Breoablik - Iceland
    FH - Iceland
    Zalgiris - Lithuania
    Riterial - Lithuania
    Kauno Zalgirls - Lithuaina
    RFS - Latvia
    Ventspils - Latvia
    Valmieras - Latvia
    FCI Levadia - Estonia
    Nomme Kalju - Estonia
    Saburtalo Tbillsi - Georgia
    Dinamo Natumi - Georgia
    Locomotive Tbillsi - Georgia
    HB Torshaven - Faroe Islands
    B36 Torshavn - Faroe Islands
    NSI Runavik - Faroe Islands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Grealish looking like he's in big trouble, Supposedly crashed his car locked last night into parked car and pulled a runner, Pics taken of him at the sceb3, No one can get in touch with him since

Breaking.

Apologies if posted already
    Premier League discusses isolated camps for hosting remaining games amid coronavirus pandemic
    Exclusive: The Independent has been told that plans have been drawn up to televise all remaining 92 matches, with a handful on every day over the summer months

The Premier League has developed plans for clubs to play televised games in isolated “World Cup-style” camps in the midlands and London over June and July, in order to try and finish the 2019/20 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The football authorities have been in discussion about ideas over the weekend, with games “behind closed doors” still seen as the likeliest solution, but the idea of isolated camps is one the clubs keep returning to. It has gained increasing traction in the last few days.

The huge broadcasting contracts and other financial concerns have increased the pressure on clubs to complete the season, but one considerable advantage to the idea is that it would be a “TV mega-event”. The Independent has been told that plans have been drawn up to televise all remaining 92 matches, with a handful on every day over the summer months.

It is this aspect that has drawn increased government backing, too, as they like the idea of the population engrossed in the national sport, especially in the event that lockdown measures are tightened or extended.

In order to complete the plan, clubs and their staffs would be confined to separate hotels away from their families, just like in an international tournament – albeit with full testing and quarantine conditions. The aim is to reduce the risk of contracting Covid-19 as even one case could derail the whole plan.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-isolated-camps-remaining-fixtures-dates-suspension-latest-a9432961.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They sell it well.

Arguing the isolated camps would be akin to the summer international tournaments.

I'd fully support if all parties could agree and suitable precautions be made.

• Advertisement

Behind the paywall
    Uefa plan to finish season in August
    Uefa is drawing up plans to finish this season in August and have shortened competitions next season in order to minimise the devastating effect of the coronavirus on European football.

The scenario is one of the plans being worked on by Uefa’s emergency working group looking at restructuring the calendar once the full effect of the pandemic is known.

Uefa’s decision to postpone Euro 2020 for a year will cost the organisation hundreds of millions of pounds, and it has been calculated that cancelling this season before the finish would cost both the European governing body and domestic competitions billions in lost TV revenue — £750 million for the Premier League alone.

Money talks. Uefa don't want to lose much.

Finish the season off World Cup style a game every day, each club have their own medical staff, so they can be the emergency services for the game, with no crowd no need to 10 ambulances. One camera system and off the box commentary no build up just a in and out stream like you got in the old North America streams before the PL got big over there/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Grealish tweeted this yesterday aswell.

https://twitter.com/JackGrealish/status/1243916027932614660

What an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

pjohnson wrote: »
    Grealish tweeted this yesterday aswell.

https://twitter.com/JackGrealish/status/1243916027932614660

What an eejit.

Talks of him going to utd,this could scupper his big money move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Talks of him going to utd,this could scupper his big money move

Say hes gunna barely get better than midtable given his antics. Or just stuck at Villa again if he is over-priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Harry Kane wants the season finished by June or cancelled. Much like west ham who are pushing this Spurs would be the big winners in this case.

Harry Kane wants the season finished by June or cancelled. Much like west ham who are pushing this Spurs would be the big winners in this case.

If season is void do they qualify? I think the reason the Premier league is trying to run the season off is because they could lose their places in Europe if they don't next season,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If season is void do they qualify? I think the reason the Premier league is trying to run the season off is because they could lose their places in Europe if they don't next season,

Would assume the thinking would be the top 4 from last season would qualify . Spurs the team with most to gain.

• Advertisement

Would assume the thinking would be the top 4 from last season would qualify . Spurs the team with most to gain.

No your right. That would be the logical thing to do but you would imagine some team somewhere would object legally and make life hard for the powers that be

The FA have gone as high as they can by cancelling the non league season, maldon/triptree and South shields both got screwed after being both 12 points clear in their regional division and missing out on the conference south/North respectively as a result

I don't see the premier league doing the same for various reasons mainly because of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'm sure Harry will swear on his kids that it's not because Spurs are looking unlikely to qualify for the CL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder does Harry Kane know that if the season is scrapped, then he is 11 goals worse off Shearer's record, and another year older. He won't get the record if the season is scrapped.

The cynic in me says he was told to say that by his chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harry Kane also said he won’t stay at Spurs just for the sake of it.

Is that the start of the come and get me plea to other teams.

“His own” team will lose a lot also by not been in the champions league and shirt sponser ship dropping considerably

People’s life’s are at risk. Keep them safe. Football can start fresh in the future when safe to do so. Whenever that is.

• Advertisement

So, people who want the season voided are thinking of people's health and Liverpool fans are only thinking of themselves.

What if everybody is saying "start football again when it's safe to do so" ? From what I've seen, this is actually what all people are saying.

Can anyone point out to me where any Liverpool fan has said start football again as soon as possible so we win it, even if it's unsafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Man who wants people to care more about public health than the fate of a football league makes definitive stance on fate of the football league

8-10 wrote: »
    Man who wants people to care more about public health than the fate of a football league makes definitive stance on fate of the football league

And everyone knows it will be easier to finish a 0% complete season than finish a 75% complete one. It's basic maths.

Have UEFA said if leagues are voided then no European spots can be filled, since other leagues are finished for the European season, cant have completed and non completed leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What on earth does one thing have to do with the other?

• Advertisement

My season ticket is already paid for and it only costs me about €4 on top of that per game anyway.

Actually now that you mention a season ticket I'm curious.

If the league is voided, will season ticket holders get some sort of refund?

The league is currently suspended until it is safe to resume. Why don't people just accept that.

If lives are what really matter then stop all this talk of null and voiding the league. Forget about football, just stop talking about it.

Every fxxking day you have people who clearly have a vested interest in null and voiding the league coming out saying to do it and then say it's not about denying Liverpool the league.

The league is currently suspended until it is safe to resume. Why don't people just accept that.

If lives are what really matter then stop all this talk of null and voiding the league. Forget about football, just stop talking about it.

Every fxxking day you have people who clearly have a vested interest in null and voiding the league coming out saying to do it and then say it's not about denying Liverpool the league.

In fairness I don't think it's just the people with the quotes, it's the journalists who are to blame. They know that there's nothing much to write about bar speculative transfers and Belarusian football right now.

I'd imagine they're asking anyone and everyone in the sport they can about the void/extend league debate just so they can get a soundbite to spin into a headline for clicks.

Pinch of salt with these. Next PL meeting is April 3rd, you won't get any new information before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Honestly forgetting about who's doing what I think as humans its a better choice to finish the league or anything else that the virus has disrupted almost a big F*ck you to the virus that life will go on as before ( well hopefully with some changes for the better)

Honestly forgetting about who's doing what I think as humans its a better choice to finish the league or anything else that the virus has disrupted almost a big F*ck you to the virus that life will go on as before ( well hopefully with some changes for the better)

By that argument, treating the virus as some sort of sentient vested interest in the fate of the league, the virus wins if you void it and don't go on as before.

The biggest F*ck you to the virus is a vaccine. That's the priority here.

Football should be stopped. It is. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would suspect that the Qatar World Cup in December 2022 might have a influence on the fate on the next few seasons, for a number of leagues.

The next World Cup, AFCON & (possibly) the Asian Cup are all scheduled to take place in December - February over the next couple of years so this could be a nice excuse to get the leagues in sync before they are all thrown out of kilter with the World Cup being slap bang in the middle of the season. The Euros have been given a rescheduled date of summer 2021. Could this be moved to September time, if European leagues start early in January. It's possible. Leagues currently take 10 months, so 9 months is not a massively difficult task.

2019/2020: Finish out the season once it's safe to do so.
    2021: Start a new full season very early (Jan 1st, possibly a week earlier) and run the season on a calendar basis. EUROs in September.
    2022: Play a full season again (February - November), culminating with the World Cup in December.
    2023: Have another full season (February - November), before deciding whether to revert to a winter league or continue with summer league.

Many leagues around the world already play a summer league, including league playing in UEFA competitions. Many main leagues already have no games in the winter months already.

Have UEFA said if leagues are voided then no European spots can be filled, since other leagues are finished for the European season, cant have completed and non completed leagues

No they have not. Italy have said tho if they void their leagues they will inform UEFA who competes in Europe next season

No they have not. Italy have said tho if they void their leagues they will inform UEFA who competes in Europe next season

Just going on this

https://twitter.com/Chris78Williams/status/1243524003991617536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1243524003991617536&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058060512%26page%3D15

Calendar leagues have finished so for teams to get into the CL and EL there winter league would need to be finished going by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"Could" by a "source"

That's not confirmation that they have said it will happen, it's one of the many options that havent been decided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trigger wrote: »
    "Could" by a "source"

That's not confirmation that they have said it will happen, it's one of the many options that havent been decided

It's as much confirmation as most of the nonsense links, tweets, stories and opinions from those involved in the game posted over the last few weeks.

Edit: nobody knows what's going to happen and I assume nothing will be finalized for a few months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement