Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lads, even if the season is voided, those games were played and televised. You can't demand money back for something that was provided. The TV companies can withhold further payments, but the can't look for a return of monies for games that they already broadcast. If you take that logic to it's conclusion, then subscribers to Sky and BT can demand a refund of their subscriptions going back to last August. That's not going to happen.

The TV companies pay up, in full, before the season starts in order for clubs to budget for the forthcoming season so, technically, they've already paid for the remaining 9 rounds of games so they could claim back for that at least.

That's before you get into the legal question of whether the games already shown have lost their importance and therefore their value.

• dogbert27 wrote: »

Careful, you could be accused of this source not been solid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Had any reasonably high profile player announced they were retiring at the end of this season? I cant remember any but itd be interesting to see if and how long theyd hang around for waiting for the season to end or give next season a go.
    One thing that doesn't put itself on hold is time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The TV companies pay up, in full, before the season starts in order for clubs to budget for the forthcoming season so, technically, they've already paid for the remaining 9 rounds of games so they could claim back for that at least.

That's before you get into the legal question of whether the games already shown have lost their importance and therefore their value.

The TV companies don't pay in advance. 25% of the money is dependent on how many times a team has been on TV and 25% is dependent a teams final league position.

And it doesn't matter whether or not the games that have been played lose their significance or not. They've been played and televised and the TV companies have received their subscriptions and advertisment monies for these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I wonder what happens with career stats? Kane, Aguero, Salah, Mane, Vardy etc's goal records, are their goals this season removed from their records? Do appearance stats get rolled back for everyone?

Not to mention all the weird little conundrums with player contracts, like what about any clauses for wage structure based on targets - if they just replay the season, does a Spurs player get his bonus for them being in the Champions League next season, despite looking like missing out this season on the 75% of a seasons merit? If the seasons were to be replayed as if the past year never happened, one would imagine all this comes down to the wording in contracts, and player agents will be fairly rabid in pursuing their piece of the pie where possible (as they always are in all things).

Stats, that’s an interesting one, wouldn’t have an idea.

The way I imagine it is that contracts are standard. Like player X signs a 5 year contract with Arsenal, say due to expire June 1st 2020... he is getting paid up until the end of his contract. I’d imagine that bonuses can’t and don’t apply such as Champions League Qualification etc . If I was a player or agent I’d be taking a good hard fûcking look at myself if I was even considering bleeding the club for bonus payments in addition to five or six figures weekly for basically sitting on my hole playing ps4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Could it not be more expensive to the premier league then if next seen is impacted to finish this? Like if this season has to finish and did so in November or whatever, there’s no way they’re playing 38 games next season. Would the tv companies then withhold money they would’ve paid over and scale it down to a reduced season?

Nobody knows any of the intricacies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Could it not be more expensive to the premier league then if next seen is impacted to finish this? Like if this season has to finish and did so in November or whatever, there’s no way they’re playing 38 games next season. Would the tv companies then withhold money they would’ve paid over and scale it down to a reduced season?

Nobody knows any of the intricacies

What happens if football can't start to November? Season will be effected anyway. We don't know what is going to happen.

The TV companies don't pay in advance. 25% of the money is dependent on how many times a team has been on TV and 25% is dependent a teams final league position.

And it doesn't matter whether or not the games that have been played lose their significance or not. They've been played and televised and the TV companies have received their subscriptions and advertisment monies for these games.

Over £750m would need to be repaid by the clubs to the TV companies if the season is voided - that's money which has already been paid out. I assumed that was a quarter of the total PL TV deal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882042-report-epl-clubs-will-have-to-repay-part-of-tv-money-if-season-not-finished

Over £750m would need to be repaid by the clubs to the TV companies if the season is voided - that's money which has already been paid out. I assumed that was a quarter of the total PL TV deal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882042-report-epl-clubs-will-have-to-repay-part-of-tv-money-if-season-not-finished

Got a better source than the Bleacher Report? The Premier League may have the money. They clubs don't and won't until the season is over. Last season they distributed £2.4bn to the clubs, so £750 is not a quarter of the total TV deal. The current deal is worth £5bn over 3 years.

Got a better source than the Bleacher Report? The Premier League may have the money. They clubs don't and won't until the season is over. Last season they distributed £2.4bn to the clubs, so £750 is not a quarter of the total TV deal. The current deal is worth £5bn over 3 years.

They were quoting The Athletic so should be a reasonable enough source. Sorry, should have clarified as well that I assumed the £750m+ was a quarter of the total deal for the 19/20 season, not the overall multi-year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Careful, you could be accused of this source not been solid :)

A Daily Mail article thanked by yourself is normally cause for concern but this turned out to be good news. :) I'll get behind the DM on this one.

Good news for all football fans.

UEFA committed to finishing this season whenever that may be :):)

Uefa and the collective European leagues are committed to completing the 2019/20 domestic and continental seasons before 2020/21 begins, and are now actively planning for the major showpiece finals to be played behind closed doors, with voiding the campaign “off the table”.

The governing body staged another videoconference on Wednesday about player contracts and the transfer window amid the coronavirus crisis, but The Independent has been told by multiple sources that detailed discussions have already taken place about the fate of this season. All parties are fully aligned with the English view that the campaign must be completed, whenever that is.

Rest of story here

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/champions-league-coronavirus-uefa-europa-league-a9439381.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

6 wrote: »

Rest of story here

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/champions-league-coronavirus-uefa-europa-league-a9439381.html

Hopefully not an April Fool`s joke.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rest of story here

Good stuff, the logical approach. Pretty much as expected, but nice to have Europe-wide consistency on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Rest of story here

So a newspaper says it has it from multiple sources (doesn’t mention any) and appears word for word in other publications but nothing from a club or UEFA itself. I wouldn’t believe anything from the Press and even less so with so called ‘multiple sources’.

joeguevara wrote: »
    So a newspaper says it has it from multiple sources (doesn’t mention any) and appears word for word in other publications but nothing from a club or UEFA itself. I wouldn’t believe anything from the Press and even less so with so called ‘multiple sources’.

UEFA held a meeting today, from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52121463

While most leagues in Europe hope to finish their domestic seasons once restrictions on movement and social contact are lifted, Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said last week the season could be lost if play does not start by the end of June.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

Ceferin says that playing remaining games behind closed doors would have to be an option across Europe.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."

• joeguevara wrote: »

It's gospel, when it suits :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think its impossible to tell whats going to happen m
    England looks like it could be in a dire state around this time next month ,

Tut tut on Spurs, Newcastle and Norwich using the government funds to pay for game day staff instead of just paying them

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52120578

most likely 3 of the teams wanting to void the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mike Ashley was probably the first in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think its impossible to tell whats going to happen

Impossible to tell what's going to happen...
    lads at this stage I think its quite clear this season will not get finished
    If its done by July and it won't be it'll be scrapped ,
    This season will NOT be finished anyone thinking other wise is dreaming ,
    Been saying it for ages now ,there is no way the season gets finished

Today:
    I think its impossible to tell whats going to happen

Maybe read the article? . Uefa met today

Nice bit of positivity today with all the negative news around. Brilliant stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's gospel, when it suits :P

Hopefully UEFA, and the distinct leagues will issue some updated statements shortly and give us a bit more clarity.

They would have to you can't have goals in games that did not take place, we may find out more today there is another UEFA meeting at some point today.

Or even the thread :) 1st post at 10:14am this morning about UEFA having a meeting today and we may find out mote information on what is happening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Nice bit of positivity today with all the negative news around. Brilliant stuff :)

Yeah,Euro qualification games knocked back. Underage tournaments cancelled, Wimbledon cancelled and The Erdevise seriously looking at voiding their league. Ignoring all that, the news is positive.

Yeah,Euro qualification games knocked back. Underage tournaments cancelled, Wimbledon cancelled and The Erdevise seriously looking at voiding their league. Ignoring all that, the news is positive.

Wrong thread?

EPL news is positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Caught the tail end of Harry Redknapp on the news saying Spurs are owned by wealthy individuals who can easily afford to keep on the staff they are laying off, for a few months, same applies to the other big clubs. They won't though. This is why rich people are rich, they're f***ers.

• 8-10 wrote: »
    Impossible to tell what's going to happen...

Today:
    Careful now, down with that sort of thing!
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Imagine either saving these to use or searching them from months ago through thousands of posts. Don't know is it sad or pathetic but its probably a mix of both.

• Advertisement

The Spurs owner Joe Lewis is worth about £5b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Stuff like that shows how hes destined for big things such as the man united job in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hopefully UEFA, and the distinct leagues will issue some updated statements shortly and give us a bit more clarity.

But what would we talk about then... :eek:

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Caught the tail end of Harry Redknapp on the news saying Spurs are owned by wealthy individuals who can easily afford to keep on the staff they are laying off, for a few months, same applies to the other big clubs. They won't though. This is why rich people are rich, they're f***ers.

Not all clubs are doing this. Utd and Liverpool have committed to continue paying all staff full wages.

Not all clubs are doing this. Utd and Liverpool have committed to continue paying all staff full wages.

The Liverpool stewards are helping out in the supermarkets around the City.

I did read the article. It was complete bs. Did you read the article. It said absolutely nothing. And it didn’t quote UEFA. Also it didn’t quote any club. The independent is a shocking newspaper and any press that quotes ‘multiple sources’ is as close to nothing as possible. Also the fact it was syndicated word for word in other bs publications shows the credibility.

Is there any UEFA, PL or club that backs it up?

Here is something that you can read:

https://www.football.london/premier-league/uefas-stance-ending-premier-league-18022682

TLDR: June is watershed. After this is not going to happen

I did read the article. It was complete bs. Did you read the article. It said absolutely nothing. And it didn’t quote UEFA. Also it didn’t quote any club. The independent is a shocking newspaper and any press that quotes ‘multiple sources’ is as close to nothing as possible. Also the fact it was syndicated word for word in other bs publications shows the credibility.

Is there any UEFA, PL or club that backs it up?

Here is something that you can read:

https://www.football.london/premier-league/uefas-stance-ending-premier-league-18022682

TLDR: June is watershed. After this is not going to happen

No problem disagreeing with my post but to then put up a worse one as defense?

Show me how this backs up your point that June is a watershed? Where's your uefa quotes etc?

Infact your source is AS Spain, which also says the Spanish league could return in July. Not familiar with that paper myself.
    https://en.as.com/en/2020/04/01/football/1585772264_546287.html

No problem disagreeing with my post but to then put up a worse one as defense?

Show me how this backs up your point that June is a watershed? Where's your uefa quotes etc?

Infact your source is AS Spain, which also says the Spanish league could return in July. Not familiar with that paper myself.
    https://en.as.com/en/2020/04/01/football/1585772264_546287.html

I think you’re misunderstanding me. Firstly if you read back on all my posts in this thread you will see that I’m pro Liverpool winning the title even as a spurs supporter. I didn’t post anything contra this but did say that the independent wasn’t saying what it was alleged.

If you want a June 30 watershed from UEFA then here https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11959233/european-leagues-commit-to-june-30-finishes-according-to-uefa-statement

I only went against the post when I was asked did I read the article.

The Independent article said absolutely nothing and quoted sources that weren’t confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the English media is spinning everyone off in a different direction to whats happening in Europe

one paper online i have been following is la republica in italy , they had reports since the weekend that the italian fa had no notion of ending the season , even if it took until Christmas to complete they had no plans to finish the league

on tuesday they reported that members of the German fa were very outspoken about finishing the season even and starting the new one in the winter

today they are reporting that the remainder of the champions league is set to take place in july and august

the only leagues in a hurry to end things early seems to be in england

the English media is spinning everyone off in a different direction to whats happening in Europe

one paper online i have been following is la republica in italy , they had reports since the weekend that the italian fa had no notion of ending the season , even if it took until Christmas to complete they had no plans to finish the league

on tuesday they reported that members of the German fa were very outspoken about finishing the season even and starting the new one in the winter

today they are reporting that the remainder of the champions league is set to take place in july and august

the only leagues in a hurry to end things early seems to be in england

The U.K. press are shocking. Unconfirmed sources are saying sh1te.

I disagree though about English league is only leagir in a hurry to end.

Read this from la Liga https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/03/30/5e822db022601dea4f8b45da.html

Everything seems to suggest end of June is watershed.

• Advertisement

The U.K. press are shocking. Unconfirmed sources are saying sh1te.

I disagree though about English league is only leagir in a hurry to end.

Read this from la Liga https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/03/30/5e822db022601dea4f8b45da.html

Everything seems to suggest end of June is watershed.

apparently they have changed it since , that piece was 4 days ago , this is the report from the video conference yesterday apparently https://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/esteri/2020/04/01/news/uefa_priorita_ai_campionati_champions_ed_europa_league_in_estate_-252882442/

apparently they have changed it since , that piece was 4 days ago , this is the report from the video conference yesterday apparently https://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/esteri/2020/04/01/news/uefa_priorita_ai_campionati_champions_ed_europa_league_in_estate_-252882442/

The article you have quoted is in Italian. The article I quoted was in relation to la Liga.

But from translating the Italian article, grabina the president of the Italian league said that if Seria A restarts in May, they are hopeful that it will finish by the end of June but also that it is unlikely to happen.

There is no direct quotes from the video conference or from UEFA.

• Buy I thought the independent was a solid source?

Buy I thought the independent was a solid source?

Well it was written by Miguel Delaney. Have a look at reliability guide here. https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/wiki/transfer-reliability-guide

He is classified as Tier 5 (Aggregators, Known ****posters and Banned sources)

And just as another source https://manutdupdates.com/sources/

The guy knows nothing and is clickbait. Also independent is considered tier 4.

• joeguevara wrote: »
    Well it was written by Miguel Delaney. Have a look at reliability guide here. https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/wiki/transfer-reliability-guide

He is classified as Tier 5 (Aggregators, Known ****posters and Banned sources)

And just as another source https://manutdupdates.com/sources/

The guy knows nothing and is clickbait. Also independent is considered tier 4.

Thanks for this, good to know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

gimli2112 wrote: »

Nice to get the views of such an honourable individual?. As there's no live sport on at the moment he is currently encouraging folk to give online slots a go for whatever gambling company he's shilling for. Abhorrent behaviour at such a time, wouldn't expect anything less from him though.

The article you have quoted is in Italian. The article I quoted was in relation to la Liga.

But from translating the Italian article, grabina the president of the Italian league said that if Seria A restarts in May, they are hopeful that it will finish by the end of June but also that it is unlikely to happen.

There is no direct quotes from the video conference or from UEFA.

What are you raving about? It's reported in the mail and on the UEFA website anyway so I don't know what more I can do

All deadlines for the 2020/21 season have been put back indefinitely by UEFA as of the meeting yesterday, the deadline for the 30th of June is now gone

What are you raving about? It's reported in the mail and on the UEFA website anyway so I don't know what more I can do

All deadlines for the 2020/21 season have been put back indefinitely by UEFA as of the meeting yesterday, the deadline for the 30th of June is now gone

I’m not raving. I see stories about suspending European competition and internationals until further notice.

However I have seen no retraction from UEFA president Ceferin statement that said: Ceferin told Italian media outlet La Repubblica over the weekend: “There is a plan A, B and C. We can start in May, in June or the end of June. If we can’t do it on any of those three dates then the season probably would be lost.“.

I hope the season finishes. I’ve said that numerous times. To say I’m raving is a bit bizarre. If there is a retraction or uturn of Ceferin statement from a couple of days ago I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Wimbledon cancelled.

I wonder why they didn't try and play this behind closed doors?

It would have been straight forward to play an individual sport played at one venue over two weeks.

• Advertisement

Is that correct, that Bournemouth is the only club that has taken that step?

If it is, Premier League clubs should be getting hammered by their fans and the media. Championship clubs like Leeds and Birmingham have seen nor just managers but entire squads take pay cuts and deferrals to ensure non playing staff are kept on and paid. This should be the norm, not the exception.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement