Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I know it's the FA Cup, but PL teams and red are involved.

The best referee in the PL, Michael Oliver used the pitch side monitor to help him today. Upgraded a yellow card to a red card, and the correct decision. He was not afraid to correct his original mistake and change it due to help from VAR. Which is good to see.

Might get to see it more in the PL. Hodgson actually alluding to the suggestion that the PL instruct referees to not use the monitor, and so was allowed to use it in the FA cup.

Ex ref Bobby Madley made a blog post on var and how he thinks its going today. Makes reference to that incident in it. Said its the first time a ref has said he didn't see a possible red card and therefore he went to the screen. Its not a directive for the fa Cup, just the first time that particular event has happened and would be the same outcome if it had happened in the premier league.

Its a very long read but its interesting if anyone is arsed.

https://therefereesword.blogspot.com/2020/01/var-six-months-review.html?m=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The source to me at this stage is insignificant. Today its some Liverpool fan, United fans rise to it, same handful of people trade the same old posts back n forth. Then tomorrow a United fan starts, rinse and repeat.

Its just tiresome seeing the same people talk the sane shyte no matter where you look

As I've said before, I think there is a case for a combined United and Liverpool thread instead of the separate ones. Or a general United/Liverpool thread and a separate general rest of the League thread where they can't be discussed.

I agree any other thread like this descends into the same back and forth so given the nature and fan makeup of the forum it'd be good to isolate them (I'm one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I've asked the question before but don't think I've got a reply. Is there a different charter for this General thread than the Superthreads? People seem to have carte blanche to WUM and Troll and generally post stuff like 'haha Utd' or 'haha Liverpool' without seemingly any moderation. Is this some sort of safe haven from the don't be a dick rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The source to me at this stage is insignificant. Today its some Liverpool fan, United fans rise to it, same handful of people trade the same old posts back n forth. Then tomorrow a United fan starts, rinse and repeat.

Its just tiresome seeing the same people talk the sane shyte no matter where you look

Bangkok says he supports United not Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bangkok says he supports United not Liverpool.

yep i do, support them every game and never want them to lose a game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I've been reading the thread over the last few months and the Utd/Pool thing will always happen in this kind of thread as mostly neither fans will go into each others Superthreads.
    What I have noticed is the posters who have been thread banned from the main Superthreads use this one to get their thoughts out and those thoughts are usually what got them thread banned in the first place.
    It is a fine line and I think they know what they are doing and nearly daring the moderators to do something about it.
    The bickering between rival fans about who is the best or worst is part of football it can be overbearing at times and it can be fuuny to the neutrals at times as well.

ferdinand made a great point about pogba last week, he said when he was at that charity game in France, the club would have known then he was injured and out of the Arsenal game and thats why he was allowed to travel there

• I've been reading the thread over the last few months and the Utd/Pool thing will always happen in this kind of thread as mostly neither fans will go into each others Superthreads.
    What I have noticed is the posters who have been thread banned from the main Superthreads use this one to get their thoughts out and those thoughts are usually what got them thread banned in the first place.
    It is a fine line and I think they know what they are doing and nearly daring the moderators to do something about it.

The bickering between rival fans about who is the best or worst is part of football it can be overbearing at times and it can be fuuny to the neutrals at times as well.

Very well put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Interesting fixtures this weekend.

Ill give my patented Game of the Round (trademark symbol pending) to Leicester v Southampton.

I predict a 5-5 draw; with Ings and Vardy getting 5 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Baggly wrote: »

Somebody has Ings and Vardy in their fantasy team :pac:

• Advertisement

Interesting fixtures this weekend.

Ill give my patented Game of the Round (trademark symbol pending) to Leicester v Southampton.

spurs v liverpool will be an interesting game as well

Somebody has Ings and Vardy in their fantasy team :pac:

Vardy yes, Ings no.
    bangkok wrote: »
    spurs v liverpool will be an interesting game as well

Hard to tell - depends what Spurs turn up imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Vardy yes, Ings no.

Double decker bus & look to counter with Son & Moura.

Vardy yes, Ings no.

i think liverpool will beat them easily 2 or 3 nil. spurs have been very poor since jose took over and now kane is out injured as well

Everton & Brighton is another good one i think.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Double decker bus & look to counter with Son & Moura.

I would think they would be central to any effort, yep. Spurs have done well without Kane in the past.....But they dont look as solid as they have done in years past.

Everton & Brighton is another good one i think.

actually looking at fixtures there are a lot of good games, arsenal away to palace as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs have been conceding at an alarming rate against everyone, hard to see past a big Liverpool win.

rob316 wrote: »
    Spurs have been conceding at an alarming rate against everyone, hard to see past a big Liverpool win.

and on top of that they cant hold onto the ball, jose will def set up the double decker bus but they will concede and then will have to come out and play and liverpool will pick them off with ease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

and on top of that they cant hold onto the ball, jose will def set up the double decker bus but they will concede and then will have to come out and play and liverpool will pick them off with ease

He played them 5 times as United manager 1win 3 draws and 1 loss

He is one of the very few managers who has consistently shown he can get a result against Liverpool by setting up tactically to frustrate them which is like Ferguson teams in big games

He has yet to get them performing defensively and I fancy Liverpool given both teams form but I don't think they will pick them off with ease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

i think liverpool will beat them easily 2 or 3 nil.

why would that be interesting then?

Plenty of 2-0 games are decent.

• Rashford wins player of the month
    Good choice

He's been a bright spark to our awful season as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

If/when Spurs go a goal down, I wonder if Jose will have them open up and chase it or will he try to keep it tight til like 10 minutes to go and then throw everything at it. I think he will be worried about a hammering and might not view a 1-0 or 2-0 loss as all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rashford wins player of the month
    Good choice

He's been a bright spark to our awful season as a whole

Did Ole win manager of the month?

Edit: just looked at the Premier League website and Rashford wasn't nominatied for POTM?

• TitianGerm wrote: »

Edit: just looked at the Premier League website and Rashford wasn't nominatied for POTM?

Hopefully not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Was that a different award, as Rashford was not nominated for the official Player of the Month award.

TAA, Buendia, DCL, KDB, Foster, Ings, Traore & Vardy were the nominees.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1213056175232704512

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TitianGerm wrote: »

There are two I think? A fans vote and one picked by the PL. I think.

Hopefully not

do you actually support man utd??

• Advertisement

• 5starpool wrote: »
    There are two I think? A fans vote and one picked by the PL. I think.

Yea, to be clear I'm talking about PFA Player of the month

Just double checked Twitter to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

do you actually support man utd??

You know that you can support a team and not be biased towards them in everything.. the poster in question might think that there is an alternative that deserved it more on merit not club allegiances..

Trigger wrote: »
    You know that you can support a team and not be biased towards them in everything.. the poster in question might think that there is an alternative that deserved it more on merit not club allegiances..

its just he wants them to lose games as well, thats why i asked

its just he wants them to lose games as well, thats why i asked

Citation?

Threadbans are obviously good for the thread in question and it's participants but I think this thread proves it just moves the problem elsewhere.

Guardiola agrees with bangkok anyway. Either that or he's taking the piss like the rest of us with ulterior motives!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0106/1104659-guardiola-solskjaer-man-united/

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Guardiola agrees with bangkok anyway. Either that or he's taking the piss like the rest of us with ulterior motives!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0106/1104659-guardiola-solskjaer-man-united/

I wouldnt pay any attention to that, they are going to be playing each other twice this month so he is just playing the nice guy to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/january/club-statement-update-on-alleged-racism-incident-at-chelsea-match/?fbclid=IwAR1H1w6NPECyx-3Q5f740hDnzDBXGppCKoZ1rXVc2Ef3QsZsr_PsgiOPXbI

I assume ridinger will get his hearing aid fixed before his next game!

Not a sausage found to back up his claim officially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

davycc wrote: »

I nearly gave up supporting my team in the 80s/early 90s for the racist abuse, it was vile - today ther is zero tolerance to any form of racism , unless you are Irish, that still seams ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

davycc wrote: »
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/january/club-statement-update-on-alleged-racism-incident-at-chelsea-match/?fbclid=IwAR1H1w6NPECyx-3Q5f740hDnzDBXGppCKoZ1rXVc2Ef3QsZsr_PsgiOPXbI

I assume ridinger will get his hearing aid fixed before his next game!

Not a sausage found to back up his claim officially.

BREAKING NEWS! Club investigates and declare itself not racist.

Quazzie wrote: »

It was handled by the police.
    No bias despite you hating Tottenham for some reason.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

It's a brand new stadium and I'm sure they've state of the art surveillance system in place so very hard to not see someone being caught if there was evidence available.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's a brand new stadium and I'm sure they've state of the art surveillance system in place so very hard to not see someone being caught if there was evidence available.

Your dead right. I can't copy the full article on mobile but the police criminal investigation found no proof despite all the new camera and.interviews
    Link below.

There's a dedicated FA Cup thread and the ties have already been posted over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Easy for liverpool fans to slag now they are finally going to win their first league title.

Alternative fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Owl. wrote: »
    Alternative fact.

Sure everyone knows football was only invented in 1992.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

I forgot. Silly me :o

The premier league was and liverpool have never won it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The premier league was and liverpool have never won it

Here we go again folks. Grab the popcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bring back the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Not even a Liverpol fan and Bangkok is annoying me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement