Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Shouldn't the England captain Harry Kane be the one doing this instead of talking about voiding leagues that will cost hundreds if not thousands of people their jobs at clubs throughout English football.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1246058760658968581?s=20

Wow... really?...

Couldn’t you just have said look what Henderson is doing, fair play to him.

Instead of putting somebody else down for not doing it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Shouldn't the England captain Harry Kane be the one doing this instead of talking about voiding leagues that will cost hundreds if not thousands of people their jobs at clubs throughout English football.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1246058760658968581?s=20

It's ok. He'll probably swear on his daughters life that he was the one making the calls.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Nothing really new in terms of when the PL will resume play, which is expected. But it will resume play when it is safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1246079673727057920?s=19

Good stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Say a few people in here are upset with the latest commitments by the premeir league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rock77 wrote: »
    So basically change the rules half way through a competition so a certain team can win.

It would apply to the finishing position of all clubs

I don't think it would happen to be honest but that's how it would work if they wanted to go down that route

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    It would apply to the finishing position of all clubs

I don't think it would happen to be honest but that's how it would work if they wanted to go down that route

Yes but it would cause one club to be handed a title they didn’t win, three clubs to be relegated when they had a chance to save themselves.

I agree anyway it won’t happen, all talk from Uefa and the PL is about finishing this season when it’s safe to do so which in my mind is the only logical thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Nothing really new in terms of when the PL will resume play, which is expected. But it will resume play when it is safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1246079673727057920?s=19

Sorted.

We just have to sit tight and wait for the resumption, whenever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From Guardian feed @15.59
    Premier League players will be asked to take a 30% drop in their wages, via cuts or deferrals or both, in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the clubs agreed at a meeting on Friday.

Here's the full article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/premier-league-clubs-will-ask-players-to-take-30-per-cent-wage-drop-cuts-deferrals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

ricero wrote: »
    Say a few people in here are upset with the latest commitments by the premeir league

Latest commitments...... its the same stuff rehashed... lets just wait and see.

Who knows what will happen... could be voided....could be finished... noone knows.

The one thing for sure is with the money involved the PL won't say anything else bar "we intent to finish the season when safe to do so".
    Any other arrangement down the line will involve discussions behind the scenes with the money people to arrange compensation/agreement before it is ever announced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The right decision, when it’s safe to do so this season will resume.

My sincere and heartfelt commiserations to those were holding out for the season to be voided. You made a cross for your own back. Stay safe now and keep washing the hands.

Steyr 556 wrote: »

My sincere and heartfelt commiserations to those were holding out for the season to be voided. You made a cross for your own back. Stay safe now and keep washing the hands.

The schools will be open soon so you can look forward to finishing second year. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Oh dear, i think you need to go for a walk or let go of your hate for Liverpool and Liverpool fans. Liverpool fans way back in 2013/14 season were cursing Henderson was sent off missing 3 games of the final 4 that season as he was important to the midfield that season.

He has grown into an important part of the team over that time, yes when he joined people did not like him but he proved his worth over time.

Why did Henderson miss 3 wasn't it two yellows the reason he got sent off ?
    Isn't that a 1 game ban ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The schools will be open soon so you can look forward to finishing second year. Good lad.

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why did Henderson miss 3 wasn't it two yellows the reason he got sent off ?
    Isn't that a 1 game ban ?

From the match report from the BBC

It set up a nail-biting finish in which Liverpool's Jordan Henderson was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Samir Nasri, one which means he will miss three of the last four games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I hope it does resume. But if it doesn’t,,you just kind of made a cross for your own back. At the end of the day, the Premier League has very little power over what happens.

source.gif

So you presume I want the league cancelled, quite the opposite. I just get concerned when I see kids using the internet unsupervised.

I thought the most important word used in the premier league's statement was integrity.

The league forever loses integrity if it is not completed one way or another and its great that the official's realise this.

I thought the most important word used in the premier league's statement was integrity.

The league forever loses integrity if it is not completed one way or another and its great that the official's realise this.

To be fair to the PL and Uefa they have stated from the start that they intend finishing the season. It would be really silly not to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Suspended indefinitely? But... but... I thought uefa we're going to "take over" the league if it didn't finish by the end of June?! Could have sworn that's what some people said on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sounds like there is preparations being put in place for games to be played at all hours of the day, including during the 15.00 TV blackout. .

Sticking to the theme of 'remaining games will be played, when it's safe to do so'.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1246145907218931713?s=19

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Suspended indefinitely? But... but... I thought uefa we're going to "take over" the league if it didn't finish by the end of June?! Could have sworn that's what some people said on here.

But.... but.... just because someone said it here doesn’t make it true.. this is the second time it’s been suspended indefinitely and people will still say it will be cancelled. All the ‘ha ha you were wrong’ carry on in here is quite sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I went to my first Premier League game 24 years ago today

Ended up being the best game the Premier League has ever seen - I'd recommend the full 90mins to anybody anywhere who hasn't seen it before, even neutrals were amazed by that game

Got hooked on Anfield that night. Midweek under the lights. Couldn't trade that atmosphere for anything and hope that we'll be able to have Premier League games like that again when all of this is over without impacting the atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Collymore was such a talented footballer such a pity he had mental health issues for his own well being that effected him to go with everything else.

The Collymore & Folwer partnership was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

8-10 wrote: »
    I went to my first Premier League game 24 years ago today

Ended up being the best game the Premier League has ever seen - I'd recommend the full 90mins to anybody anywhere who hasn't seen it before, even neutrals were amazed by that game

Got hooked on Anfield that night. Midweek under the lights. Couldn't trade that atmosphere for anything and hope that we'll be able to have Premier League games like that again when all of this is over without impacting the atmosphere

What the hell was James thinking for all 3 goals :confused:

But.... but.... just because someone said it here doesn’t make it true.. this is the second time it’s been suspended indefinitely and people will still say it will be cancelled. All the ‘ha ha you were wrong’ carry on in here is quite sad.

Thats exactly my point. People were passing their opinions off as FACT, despite UEFA saying nothing of the sort. Playing to their own little oneupmanships and stirring the pot as usual.

The sad carry on is that despite the fact that not one of us knows when football will return, some people tighten the blinkers instead of loosening them. Cuts off circulation to the brain by the looks of it. You actually couldn't make this sh*t up... the lengths people will go to - not even a worldwide pandemic will stop them.
    Marvellous dedication to the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dogbert27 wrote: »

he was a very doggy keeper especially for crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sounds like there is preparations being put in place for games to be played at all hours of the day, including during the 15.00 TV blackout. .

Sticking to the theme of 'remaining games will be played, when it's safe to do so'.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1246145907218931713?s=19

Lifted for the rest of the season? Score 1 for the PL. What they should do now is indefinitely postpone a dead rubber game in the last round of matches and never declare the season over while moving on to next season.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dogbert27 wrote: »

He was even worse for the following seasons 4-3

he was a very doggy keeper...

Doggy keeper, dogging striker...

Doggy keeper, dogging striker...

he was a terrible keeper ?

Thats exactly my point. People were passing their opinions off as FACT, despite UEFA saying nothing of the sort. Playing to their own little oneupmanships and stirring the pot as usual.

The sad carry on is that despite the fact that not one of us knows when football will return, some people tighten the blinkers instead of loosening them. Cuts off circulation to the brain by the looks of it. You actually couldn't make this sh*t up... the lengths people will go to - not even a worldwide pandemic will stop them.

I agree with most of your post however if you can’t see how sad it is for you to come back out of nowhere, responding to nobody with childish posts like you did then you are just as bad. And some people (wrongly in my opinion) actually believe the league should be cancelled.

There’s even a Liverpool fan on here that thinks it’s going to be cancelled.

Your team are the best in the league by a mile, there’s no need for you to carry on the way you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And some seem to be finding this pandemic is making everything all the better and sweeter to the pending title victory. Not that that will be a problem for some.

pjohnson wrote: »
    And some seem to be finding this pandemic is making everything all the better and sweeter to the pending title victory. Not that that will be a problem for some.

let me just say , no matter how bad this pandemic erupts , ......liverpool wins the league :pac::pac::pac: nul and void or not :D

• Advertisement

I agree with most of your post however if you can’t see how sad it is for you to come back out of nowhere, responding to nobody with childish posts like you did then you are just as bad. And some people (wrongly in my opinion) actually believe the league should be cancelled.

There’s even a Liverpool fan on here that thinks it’s going to be cancelled.

Your team are the best in the league by a mile, there’s no need for you to carry on the way you are.

It's not out of nowhere. The statement was released yesterday regarding the conclusion of the PL... And it reminded me of a post I read here few weeks back. So what's happening right now is pertinent to what was incorrectly stated as fact previously .
    And i agree I'm being petty coming back in here having a go, but I'm just sick of people giving their opinions and passing them off as factual. Nothing to do with club rivalries, or who's going to win the league, will it be voided etc etc... I'm leaving all that off to the side. People need to be called out on their bullsh*t, otherwise this thread ...like so many others round here, will get bogged down in it.

It's not out of nowhere. The statement was released yesterday regarding the conclusion of the PL... And it reminded me of a post I read here few weeks back. So what's happening right now is pertinent to what was incorrectly stated as fact previously .
    And i agree I'm being petty coming back in here having a go, but I'm just sick of people giving their opinions and passing them off as factual. Nothing to do with club rivalries, or who's going to win the league, will it be voided etc etc... I'm leaving all that off to the side. People need to be called out on their bullsh*t, otherwise this thread ...like so many others round here, will get bogged down in it.

Touché my friend, we will both carry on calling people out on their bullsh*t so...

let me just say , no matter how bad this pandemic erupts , ......liverpool wins the league :pac::pac::pac: nul and void or not :D

Eh... who wants to tell him...

Eh... who wants to tell him...

tell them what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This should be locked until football returns and normal hostilities can resume. Even I'm bored by the merrygoround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

tell them what ?

The meaning of Null and Void maybe.....

Trigger wrote: »
    The meaning of Null and Void maybe.....

which will never happen :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry......

I’ll try laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

which will never happen :pac::pac::pac::pac:

At this stage it looks unlikely but never say never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

They are revelling in how small time this makes Spurs look in comparison I'd say.

Great to see that word "integrity" being used again. Football would be forever devalued if it was to be declared null and void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great to see that word "integrity" being used again. Football would be forever devalued if it was to be declared null and void.

True enough. If this season gets voided and we magically begin the 20/21 season in August, why would anyone bother getting too emotionally involved? Everyone by now knows that another wave of Covid could, and likely will, hit later in the year or this time next year. So you have everyone aware, at the start of the season, that the forthcoming games could well mean nothing, as the precedent would've been set.

Imagine if LFC were top again should that happen? Once again you'll have the irony of hordes of football fans delighted that football is yet again voided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fyfe79 wrote: »
    True enough. If this season gets voided and we magically begin the 20/21 season in August, why would anyone bother getting too emotionally involved?

Ha, the ultimate VAR fakeout!

Nice bit of symmetry to all this I suppose, this being the season of VAR anyway. In the grand scheme of things, we’re currently in the stage where the ref is slowly walking over to the pitch-side monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha, the ultimate VAR fakeout!

Nice bit of symmetry to all this I suppose, this being the season of VAR anyway. In the grand scheme of things, we’re currently in the stage where the ref is slowly walking over to the pitch-side monitor.

... and instead of awarding Liverpool the last minute penalty to go 3-0 up, he reverses his decision, and sends 5 Liverpool players off, thus cancelling the game and awarding the 3-0 win to their opponents. He also kicks Henderson in the arse as they leave the pitch.

That's the void scenario, anyway. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement