Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rock77 wrote: »
    If the choice is null and void or awarded the title without winning it, what would you pick?

Christ......that's a tough one.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would Liverpool fans in here be happy being awarded the title without winning it? One Liverpool fan I know is desperate for that not to happen. He says he’d rather it was voided and they won it next season.

Obviously his first choice is to finish this season.

If I was a pool fan I’d take the title. Sure it will always be the one that “technically wasn’t won” but for all intense and purposes they are or would of been comfortable champions bar nothing.

I think for the league a Liverpool title win is better then a void. I don’t see any financial benefit to the league not having a 2019-20 winner. And Liverpool would be a popular winner , even just a new face on the EPL title would be good for the trophy.

Whatever about all the other variables, I’d say that the league would prefer To crown Liverpool champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Christ......that's a tough one.......

Good talk man, thanks for your opinion....

Like I said I know a staunch Liverpool fan who would rather the season voided than handed a trophy they didn’t win. Just wanted to see if anyone shares his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

If the choice is null and void or awarded the title without winning it, what would you pick?

We have won it.

Drumpot wrote: »
    If I was a pool fan I’d take the title. Sure it will always be the one that “technically wasn’t won” but for all intense and purposes they are or would of been comfortable champions bar nothing.

I think for the league a Liverpool title win is better then a void. I don’t see any financial benefit to the league not having a 2019-20 winner. And Liverpool would be a popular winner , even just a new face on the EPL title would be good for the trophy.

Whatever about all the other variables, I’d say that the league would prefer To crown Liverpool champions.

Yeah maybe, I suppose they are so close it’s a formality really.

Still though I think anything other than finishing the season whenever football is back would be crazy.

Having said that I would never be in favour of awarding a trophy to a team that haven’t won it, although maybe I would change my tune if my team were two wins away from winning it!

poolboy wrote: »
    We have won it.

Really? You sure?

Actually no, no you have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

We have won it.

* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Really? You sure?

Actually no, no you have not.
    It's done has been for weeks. Whether it's played out or not Liverpool are going to be down as 19/20 champions and I don't give a fu@k how many asterisks are beside it

It's done has been for weeks. Whether it's played out or not Liverpool are going to be down as 19/20 champions and I don't give a fu@k how many asterisks are beside it

Good man....

Good talk man, thanks for your opinion....

Like I said I know a staunch Liverpool fan who would rather the season voided than handed a trophy they didn’t win. Just wanted to see if anyone shares his opinion.

So what? I know a staunch Liverpool fan who is one of the nicest guys in the world and is a good friend to me. Still, I wouldn't be letting my own little anecdote tar a brush over the whole fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd take the title easily. Why would I pick voiding it?

For the record I'll also take City's 2014 title if they want to strip them of that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Pep Guardiola's mother died from the virus. RIP. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Pep Guardiola's mother died from the virus. RIP. :(

And people will continue to jump up and down about a league title

RIP

8-10 wrote: »

For the record I'll also take City's 2014 title if they want to strip them of that :D

I was interested to see if there are more Liverpool fans of the opinion that they should not be awarded a trophy they haven’t won.

Like Juve saying they wouldn’t accept the Serie A title.

So what? I know a staunch Liverpool fan who is one of the nicest guys in the world and is a good friend to me. Still, I wouldn't be letting my own little anecdote tar a brush over the whole fanbase.

Tar a brush over the whole fan base by asking do any of them share an opinion???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was interested to see if there are more Liverpool fans of the opinion that they should not be awarded a trophy they haven’t won.

Like Juve saying they wouldn’t accept the Serie A title.

It's not really the same tho.

Juve are one point ahead of Lazio.

Liverpool are 25 ahead of City.

25!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Wouldn’t be the first time Liverpool took something off City that didn’t belong to them.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2019/09/liverpool-paid-man-city-1m-after-allegedly-hacking-scouting-system-in-2013/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gstack166 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be the first time Liverpool took something off City that didn’t belong to them.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2019/09/liverpool-paid-man-city-1m-after-allegedly-hacking-scouting-system-in-2013/amp/

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

‘There is pot shots and there is what they are doing, grown men looking for a reaction on an internet forum’

You posted this 2 days ago lol.

• Advertisement

‘There is pot shots and there is what they are doing, grown men looking for a reaction on an internet forum’

You posted this 2 days ago lol.

Just giving you a reaction not the one you are looking for but it is a reaction

Just giving you a reaction not the one you are looking for but it is a reaction

I wasn’t looking for any reaction, it wasn’t a trolling or confrontational post it was a matter of fact. You responded with a crying meme for whatever reason I don’t know because there wasn’t any remarks I made in the post that suggested I was upset over anything. You like replying like that to messages though so that’s fine, no problem with it it’s just hypocritical is all.

I wasn’t looking for any reaction, it wasn’t a trolling or confrontational post it was a matter of fact. You responded with a crying meme for whatever reason I don’t know because there wasn’t any remarks I made in the post that suggested I was upset over anything. You like replying like that to messages though so that’s fine, no problem with it it’s just hypocritical is all.

When you are in a discussion you always revert to the bus incident, ignoring City fans have done the same, and back to the "hacking" trying to point score with your side of the discussion

noodler wrote: »
    It's not really the same tho.

Juve are one point ahead of Lazio.

Liverpool are 25 ahead of City.

25!

So how many points does a team need to be ahead to be awarded a league title?

I think we should leave it at when it’s mathematically impossible for them to be caught.

What do you think?

I think we should leave it at when it’s mathematically impossible for them to be caught.

What do you think?

Be honest with yourself do you think Liverpool were going to lose those last 8 games after going so long in the league unbeaten, and unbeaten in the league at home for 2 years?

When you are in a discussion you always revert to the bus incident, ignoring City fans have done the same, and back to the "hacking" trying to point score with your side of the discussion

Point score? With who lol. I’m a Lone Ranger in here, no one backs me up or agrees with anything I say when I talk about City not even the few City fans on this site bother their arse going into other threads most of the time because it’s so poisonous so get the point scoring out of your head.

If the hacking scandal was the other way round their would be a thread the length of the M50 about it. Its a problem if I revert to the hacking but it isn’t When someone reverts to the 2014 season. Makes sense.

I’m actually watching that season now on Premier League years on the sky box so I’ll talk to you later. Fantastic season, brilliant memories.

• Advertisement

If the hacking scandal was the other way round their would be a thread the length of the M50 about it. Its a problem if I revert to the hacking but it isn’t When someone reverts to the 2014 season. Makes sense.

You clearly missed my smiley face after I mentioned 2014, or this is your first day visiting the internet.

Hacking scandal was settled by City to their satisfaction. If it was something bigger they wouldn't have settled and wouldn't have settled for so little. Storm in a teacup.

And that's before we talk about the overblown nonsense of the bus greeting

Be honest with yourself do you think Liverpool were going to lose those last 8 games after going so long in the league unbeaten, and unbeaten in the league at home for 2 years?

No I don’t, I think they would win at least six of those games.

I also didn’t think Watford would beat them 3-0 this season..

Point being it doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks, what’s the point in playing any games if we can just think up the winners..

I get that it’s a massive points advantage and if (and hopefully when) the season gets finished they will probably get the points needed to win the league but be honest with yourself,

Should any team ever be awarded any league trophy without actually accumulating enough points to do so?

You clearly missed my smiley face after I mentioned 2014, or this is your first day visiting the internet.

Hacking scandal was settled by City to their satisfaction. If it was something bigger they wouldn't have settled and wouldn't have settled for so little. Storm in a teacup.

And that's before we talk about the overblown nonsense of the bus greeting

No I seen it, that message your replying to wasn’t me giving out about you posting it, it was in my defence about how it’s a problem for that lad when I mention the hacking is all. My message replying to you was just light hearted stuff. No problem with you posting it at all but I do disagree with your last point but look that’s for another day :D

Should any team ever be awarded any league trophy without actually accumulating enough points to do so?

Yes

No I seen it, that message your replying to wasn’t me giving out about you posting it, it was in my defence about how it’s a problem for that lad when I mention the hacking is all. My message replying to you was just light hearted stuff. No problem with you posting it at all but I do disagree with your point but look that’s for another day :D

Fair enough. For me the hacking thing was put to bed a long time ago and there's a lot of details we'll never know so we'll leave it at that

• Advertisement

No I seen it, that message your replying to wasn’t me giving out about you posting it, it was in my defence about how it’s a problem for that lad when I mention the hacking is all. My message replying to you was just light hearted stuff. No problem with you posting it at all but I do disagree with your last point but look that’s for another day :D

Hacking is not an issue for me I just find it funny you will always bring it up after it’s been settled by the two clubs and FA and PL

Yes

So do you think Juve should be awarded the Serie A trophy?

If not, how many points do you think a team needs to be ahead by to be awarded a title?

No I don’t, I think they would win at least six of those games.

I also didn’t think Watford would beat them 3-0 this season..

Point being it doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks, what’s the point in playing any games if we can just think up the winners..

I get that it’s a massive points advantage and if (and hopefully when) the season gets finished they will probably get the points needed to win the league but be honest with yourself,

If the league was tight like Italy then no but PL is very different with the big points difference

If not, how many points do you think a team needs to be ahead by to be awarded a title?

It shouldn’t be always a yes but in Liverpool’s case I’d make an exception. Juventus are only 1 point clear, wouldn’t be moral to give it to them but it would be the right thing to do in the situation with Liverpool.

I think Inter Milan should have been awarded it in 2006 for example

They were, weren’t they.

They were, weren’t they.

Yes. And they had less points.

The question was should it ever happen. And I think there's scenarios outside the regular completion of a league season where it should be allowed.

Really? I didn’t know that, did the league not finish? I’ll look it up.

I see what yis are saying but I still think it would be silly to award them a title they haven’t won. It’s all a bit crap to be honest, here’s hoping we get the season finished anyway.

Really? I didn’t know that, did the league not finish? I’ll look it up.

It did finish. Juventus got 91pts but got placed at the bottom of the table by the FA without a points deduction and Inter were awarded the title on 76pts

A little different to be fair, the winners were found guilty of match fixing and were relegated so it was awarded to the second placed team.

All games had been played.

But...

Surely if the games hadn’t been fixed the league table would have looked a lot different so I don’t think that should have been awarded to Inter. Then again what was the alternative... null and void!!

• Advertisement

A little different to be fair, the winners were found guilty of match fixing and were relegated so it was awarded to the second placed team.

All games had been played.

But...

Surely if the games hadn’t been fixed the league table would have looked a lot different so I don’t think that should have been awarded to Inter. Then again what was the alternative... null and void!!

With the Juventus website still claiming the title wins

A little different to be fair

A little different to what?

You asked a general question about 'any team ever' not anything specific to a league not being finished:

What do you think?

When the competition is still in doubt as it is in Junentus' case.

They recognise that.

It isn't in doubt in the premier League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

When the competition is still in doubt as it is in Junentus' case.

They recognise that.

It isn't in doubt in the premier League.

What about Scotland. 13 points clear and Rangers have game in hand (could beat Celtic twice make it 4 pts) already beat them so possible.. Can that not be finished?

What about Scotland. 13 points clear and Rangers have game in hand (could beat Celtic twice make it 4 pts) already beat them so possible.. Can that not be finished?

I dunno.

What do you think? Weird example.

The point is, of course Juventus being granted their league would be silly.

Nobody thinks Liverpool haven't won the league. In fact, some rival fans thought they won in in November.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I dunno.

What do you think? Weird example.

The point is, of course Juventus being granted their league would be silly.

Nobody thinks Liverpool haven't won the league. In fact, some rival fans thought they won in in November.

No team can be awarded the league title when they have not Won it mathematically.

It will just end up going on for years in the court room cause if Liverpool are deemed to have finished 1st, every other position must be declared, Euro Spots, Prize Money, Relegation etc...

Court cases by clubs against Prem League would go on for years, Man Utd for eg will def not accept and be told you are 5th end of story nó Champions League for you.

Teams have games in hand over teams etc, How would they decide who finishes were.

Scotland were about to follow Belgium and call the league as it was until UEFA issued their statement.

UEFA president said yesterday Liverpool would get the league one way or another

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...president.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

dogbert27 wrote: »
    UEFA president said yesterday Liverpool would get the league one way or another

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...president.html

Page has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spurs have confirmed Son who is in quarantine in South Korea will finish off his military service while there and return to London in May.

He has only 4 weeks of it to do after getting out of the full two years by winning the Asian Games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement