Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Checked back into this thread after a week or 2 and see the usual suspects still harping on about voiding the season for the good of humanity.

One question that I don't think any rival team fans would answer honestly is that if your team was in the same position now as Liverpool are in, would you still think voiding the season is the best option?

I really couldn't imagine any United fan or spurs fan ect calling for the season to be voided if there team was in Liverpools position right now. And anyone who says they would is being dishonest IMO.

If United or Spurs were in LFC's position, would you boys be clamoring to get the league finished? Anyone who says they would is being dishonest IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RasTa wrote: »
    ^ That's pathetic.

Fine with that. Felt I needed to quote to make my point and up to me to do that as pathetic as it might be.

But let’s not distract from my question which I want to know the answer to as I’m accused of having blood on my hands - accusation that I am partially responsible for people losing their lives - I’m not ok with that accusation so indulge me-

Why was it perfectly ok for me to take my kids to school on that day, but I should hang my head in shame for going to a football match that evening?

I’ll delete the other quotes - apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This thread will hardly see out the day

Depends how many reported posts is the sweet spot for getting threads closed.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The conversation was going fine for a day tbf to be honest until a few skewed it to tribal stuff.

Exactly,the usual few

You do realise the coronavirus has been evolving daily.

So going through his individual posts to point out exactly what?

That he was the same as us fans who went to the game - understanding of the risks but also not fully realising the reality that we’re in now.

I’m trying to dispute the accusation that fans should have had enough knowledge to defy all advice and stay at home and that they have blood on their hands for not doing so.

I’m agreeing with you - it’s evolved over time - that’s exactly my point. We didn’t know then what we know now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    ^ That's pathetic.

Well in fairness, he did say people who attended chelthenham and the Liverpool game would have blood on their hands, quiet a lot of posters here are included in that, so i think they kind of response is justified on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

8-10 wrote: »
    Fine with that. Felt I needed to quote to make my point and up to me to do that as pathetic as it might be.

But let’s not distract from my question which I want to know the answer to as I’m accused of having blood on my hands - accusation that I am partially responsible for people losing their lives - I’m not ok with that accusation so indulge me-

Why was it perfectly ok for me to take my kids to school on that day, but I should hang my head in shame for going to a football match that evening?

You arent responsible it was a different era. I was supposed to be going to scotland the weekend of march 13th. I was debating it for a couple of weeks beforehand. It was only on march 11th when the schools over here closed I said to myself no way is that something I should be doing. The situation was constantly evolving back then and things people were doing prior to that weekend they wouldnt dream of doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Considering you wanted to be pedantic about the water bottle. Are all the players going to run over and grab the water bottles themselves? Are they going to be labelled with names? I was throwing out ideas of where the infection can be spread..

I wasnt being pedantic. It was a silly thing you put in your post.

Yes they can have individually labelled bottles. It's only 10 bottles (keepers have theirs behind the goal as is). Ive seen this done in kids sports in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You do realise the coronavirus has been evolving daily.

So going through his individual posts to point out exactly what?

He has given a direct account of his current experience as someone who works in the medical field.

Alot of people thought It wasnt a big deal a few months back and then realised how serious this whole thing is as it evolved.

Also as a side note: Careful because I got abuse for using the boards search function before, just a heads up.

The original post was completely over the top in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In a way its nice to see some things will never change anyway :)

• Advertisement

• 8-10 wrote: »
    That he was the same as us fans who went to the game - understanding of the risks but also not fully realising the reality that we’re in now.

I’m trying to dispute the accusation that fans should have had enough knowledge to defy all advice and stay at home and that they have blood on their hands for not doing so.

I’m agreeing with you - it’s evolved over time - that’s exactly my point. We didn’t know then what we know now

By March most of the EU were starting to tackle the crisis in all fairness regardless of the populations thought process.

UK failed miserably at a government level.

Tbf I understand the point from a certain perspective that the irish liverpool fans and the Madrid fans should not have travelled given their own countries response to the crisis at the time.

UK residents were going off the back of their governments failure to act quickly.

Main point is UK were behind the other two countries I mention so the Liverpool fans from the UK thought nothing of the situation.

There is an argument to be made that it can't be said for any other travelling fans outside of the UK.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    The original post was completely over the top in fairness.

What other post?

The blood on hands comment? Yea that's overboard and silly.

But there is a point in it. Above is my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

If United or Spurs were in LFC's position, would you boys be clamoring to get the league finished? Anyone who says they would is being dishonest IMO.

No I wouldn't be clamouring to get the league finished but I also don't think I'd be in here all the time calling for it to be voided either...

Case in point above with fans saying it’s the governments fault for the Atlectico game, it’ll be the exact same when the title is won and they’re out in their thousands if not tens of thousands, it’ll be the governments fault for letting it go ahead. There will be no accountability.

So no football for the next year minimum is what you want to happen?

By March most of the EU were starting to tackle the crisis in all fairness regardless of the populations thought process.

Tbf I understand the point from a certain perspective that the irish liverpool fans and the Madrid fans should not have travelled given their own countries response to the crisis at the time.

UK residents were going off the back of their governments failure to act quickly.

Main point is UK were behind the other two countries I mention so the Liverpool fans from the UK thought nothing of the situation.

There is an argument to be made that it can't be said for any other travelling fans outside of the UK.

Irish schools were still open , the italians had just spent the weekend here, the irish pubs were packed with people watching cheltenham, transport in dublin was packed at the time of the match. Life was carrying on as normal for the majority with a bit of uncertainty for the future.

• So no football for the next year minimum is what you want to happen?

Until a actual vaccine is found that is probably a more common thought than you may think amongst the general populace.

Is it that hard to believe alot of people won't want sports or similar recreational activities without vaccinations?

It applies to everything really. Daily life.

Yep and I don't disagree with any of that and as I keep saying - I do regret going to the game in hindsight

However this idea of hanging my head in shame because there's the blood of people who died in Merseyside hospitals on my hand is not something I'm agreeing with.

The poster is on the frontline and is saying that we're at least partly responsible for those deaths - maybe inadvertently - but to hang our heads in shame the accusation is that we knowingly put those people in danger. As I posted on the night, I wore gloves, I had hand sanitizer, I took precautions and I followed advice.

So I take this personally that I should feel shame. I'm of course saddened by deaths, but having blood on my hands? I don't think that's fair.

• 8-10 wrote: »
    Yep and I don't disagree with any of that and as I keep saying - I do regret going to the game in hindsight

However this idea of hanging my head in shame because there's the blood of people who died in Merseyside hospitals on my hand is not something I'm agreeing with.

The poster is on the frontline and is saying that we're at least partly responsible for those deaths - maybe inadvertently - but to hang our heads in shame the accusation is that we knowingly put those people in danger. As I posted on the night, I wore gloves, I had hand sanitizer, I took precautions and I followed advice.

So I take this personally that I should feel shame. I'm of course saddened by deaths, but having blood on my hands? I don't think that's fair.

The blood on hands comment I've said previously was overboard. I agree here.

• Irish schools were still open , the italians had just spent the weekend here, the irish pubs were packed with people watching cheltenham, transport in dublin was packed at the time of the match. Life was carrying on as normal for the majority with a bit of uncertainty for the future.

Ireland was still at a phase in the process.
    Schools were closed a couple of days later if I recall and so were pubs.

That's off the top of my head.

UK had done nothing.

And as for the madrid fans sports were stopped entirely from what I recall and they still travelled to the UK.

• Advertisement

The blood on hands comment I've said previously was overboard. I agree here.

Sure, but you are not who I was replying to - I'm glad others agree. It made me angry to think that that's now pushed on us fans rather than the government/UEFA etc.

Irish government still had the schools open, didn't advise against travel to the UK. Were we naive? Sure. Willfully negligent though? I don't agree.

Followed all advice but the accusation is that we should have ignored that and stayed at home off our own bat

And my quoting was showing that the same poster who said we should have done a lot more than just follow advice was at the same time of these events downplaying it and accusing others of scaremongering.

And I still don't see why keeping schools open was completely fine if a football game was completely not fine?

Until a actual vaccine is found that is probably a more common thought than you may think amongst the general populace.

Is it that hard to believe alot of people won't want sports or similar recreational activities without vaccinations?

Im just gauging what people actually want rather than the back and forward sniping.

What should footballers do for the next year to 18 months at a minimum? If we know thats whats happening, anyone out of contract is unemployed straight away without the prospect of getting a job. Clubs will fold (even big ones) . Do all these players just go hand a cv in to Tesco? The top level that are playing at that level for at least a couple of years will probably be ok if they drastically cut their spending (forever). Clubs cannot and will not be paying players while they have no income for the foreseeable. It'd be cheaper to fold the club and sell the assets.

UK had done nothing.

And as for the madrid fans sports were stopped entirely from what I recall and they still travelled to the UK.

We hadnt really done anything though schools were closed on the thursday and the pubs the following sunday or monday I think.

UK had done nothing.

The next day Leo addressed the nation and I think the restrictions were enforced from midnight so Friday schools closed.

Not just Madrid, all of Spain was behind closed doors at the time, fans weren't allowed but it wasn't stopped completely. But the UK government allowed them to travel and UEFA said they were allowed in the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A vaccine might never be found. We can't shut the world down forever. We'll have to start working out ways to live with the virus sooner rather than later.

• Im just gauging what people actually want rather than the back and forward sniping.

What should footballers do for the next year to 18 months at a minimum? If we know thats whats happening, anyone out of contract is unemployed straight away without the prospect of getting a job. Clubs will fold (even big ones) . Do all these players just go hand a cv in to Tesco? The top level that are playing at that level for at least a couple of years will probably be ok if they drastically cut their spending (forever). Clubs cannot and will not be paying players while they have no income for the foreseeable. It'd be cheaper to fold the club and sell the assets.

I honestly don't know. It's a mad time to live in.
    I imagine loads of clubs are gonna go into liquidation as will all types of business across all types of trades.
    It's more than sport. That's the reality.

Tbf the conversation with 8-10, niall and iusedtolikebusts has been fairly civil from my perspective anyway. Not sure of they share the same thoughts.

I don't see it as sniping but maybe you are referencing other posters.

• Advertisement

• A vaccine might never be found. We can't shut the world down forever. We'll have to start working out ways to live with the virus sooner rather than later.

Yea and you are probably right. I've not implied that it will be shutdown forever.
    But I imagine that's not a decision that will be rushed because of a game of football or anything else for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sure, but you are not who I was replying to - I'm glad others agree. It made me angry to think that that's now pushed on us fans rather than the government/UEFA etc.

Irish government still had the schools open, didn't advise against travel to the UK. Were we naive? Sure. Willfully negligent though? I don't agree.

Followed all advice but the accusation is that we should have ignored that and stayed at home off our own bat

And my quoting was showing that the same poster who said we should have done a lot more than just follow advice was at the same time of these events downplaying it and accusing others of scaremongering.

And I still don't see why keeping schools open was completely fine if a football game was completely not fine?

People need to take responsibility for their actions. By the time the Liverpool game and Cheltenham etc were happening there was enough information at the time to make a rational call to not attend the games. Yeh, the authorities could of made the call, but they arent completely responsible. This sense of "its the government/authorities fault" is a flawed argument. The government allows people to smoke, that may lead to cancer and death but nobody blames them if a smoker dies because of it.

The only reason "its the authorities fault" is accepted by many is because it absolves most of some very irresponsible behaviour. There was lots of warnings by mid March, waiting for the government to force people to be responsible is a cop out. That sort of attitude is shared by a significant portion of the population and its a reason why nothing ever changes. Self reflection and personal responsibility is not something populations do well. Every 5 years we judge a government thats actually doing mostly what we voted them in to do. It really is perverse in many regards....

Also, we have chosen a society thats basically run according to the requirements of our economy. This means in crisis such at this, when decisive action is needed, the needs of non essential vested interest groups can be accommodated over the greater good. We have this prison like comitement to capitalism and finances as if the world couldnt and never existed before the financial markets dictated most countries priorities . .

But, I digress . . I suppose I disagree with you. We all make decisions that arent great most weeks. Making a call to goto a match is understandable and not something that shoudl be keeping people awake at night with guilt. It doesnt make you a murderer or anything like that. But it certainly shows an ignorance that at best is naievity of selectively choosing to absolve yourself of any responsibility because alot of people were ignoring the warnings. At the very least people should try and be honest with themselves. It was a terrible decision to goto Cheltenham , sporting events and be wreckless at this time. Doesnt matter if its hindsight, you dont learn by ignoring or excusing it, you awknowledge it and try to make sure you are more responsible the next time there are warnings that means you should be more cautious when making a decision to travel or do something that could be slightly more risky.

I honestly don't know. It's a mad time to live in.
    I imagine loads of clubs are gonna go into liquidation as will all types of business across all types of trades.
    It's more than sport. That's the reality.

But this is the forum for talking about football. Which is why im specifically asking what people want to see with regard football clubs. There are plenty of other forums for other industries.

People throwing out statements that football cant resume can be challenged for their opinions on what they expect or want to happen. Right now, going on some people views on what should happen, there will be no football in the 2020/21 season at least, so I'm interested to know what they think footballers will do with their lives. Andrew Robertson aside (and probably a few others Im not aware of before anyone picks this particular point out of the whole post) ,the vast majority of professional footballers dont posses the experience to get a job in a shop, nevermind anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just ignore it, no need to dig up 10+ old posts to prove a point.

We all know what was said was ridiculous so let it go.

Your post reminds me of the old "someone is wrong on the internet" meme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It is just sport.
    Give it a rest with this.

It is many people's livelyhoods in terms of people who work in the game. So many people will be out of work & will be a dire situation if football doesn't resume until a vaccine.

I dont see it mentioned about other sectors. Ah its just your job & income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So no football for the next year minimum is what you want to happen?

No, they could PLAN to start mid July. Which would mean the title could be decided by August and league finished by end of August which is over 3 months away. At that point we could be a lot better off than we are now and gatherings possibly not as dangerous.

Or a squad could be struck with the virus and the 19/20 season might be off completely. Who knows what’s going to happen.

Liverpool fans want it to start as soon as possible obviously because the longer it’s delayed the greater the chance the season doesn’t go ahead, people promising there won’t be riots when they win the first title in 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

But this is the forum for talking about football. Which is why im specifically asking what people want to see with regard football clubs. There are plenty of other forums for other industries.

People throwing out statements that football cant resume can be challenged for their opinions on what they expect or want to happen. Right now, going on some people views on what should happen, there will be no football in the 2020/21 season at least, so I'm interested to know what they think footballers will do with their lives. Andrew Robertson aside (and probably a few others Im not aware of before anyone picks this particular point out of the whole post) ,the vast majority of professional footballers dont posses the experience to get a job in a shop, nevermind anywhere else.

I would like to think the vast majority of footballers have enough income to last a reasonable amount of time without being paid. Obviously not at lower level, but all top league clubs pay there players extremely well and enough to survive an unfortunate situation.

Some of there cars are worth more than peoples yearly salaries etc! And it's not like they can go out and spend their money now currently.

Other professions don't have that which is why people are more inclined to think other jobs will need to come back.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Making a call to goto a match is understandable and not something that shoudl be keeping people awake at night with guilt. It doesnt make you a murderer or anything like that. But it certainly shows an ignorance that at best is naievity of selectively choosing to absolve yourself of any responsibility because alot of people were ignoring the warnings. At the very least people should try and be honest with themselves. It was a terrible decision to goto Cheltenham , sporting events and be wreckless at this time. Doesnt matter if its hindsight, you dont learn by ignoring or excusing it, you awknowledge it and try to make sure you are more responsible the next time there are warnings that means you should be more cautious when making a decision to travel or do something that could be slightly more risky.

But I feel I did this. I posted that the game shouldn't go ahead, I posted that I was naive, and I posted that I regret going. AS you say - it was a mistake to go and I own that decision.

I'm not saying that it's solely on the government, I'm trying to bring forward my actual thought process at the time.

I own the decision. That's mine and I'm fine with it. But what I'm debating today is the accusation that there's blood on my hands which is an accusation coming from somebody who at the time was saying there was no reason not to send your kids to school.

No, they could PLAN to start mid July. Which would mean the title could be decided by August and league finished by end of August which is over 3 months away. At that point we could be a lot better off than we are now and gatherings possibly not as dangerous.

Or a squad could be struck with the virus and the 19/20 season might be off completely. Who knows what’s going to happen.

Liverpool fans want it to start as soon as possible obviously because the longer it’s delayed the greater the chance the season doesn’t go ahead, people promising there won’t be riots when they win the first title in 30 years.

I’ve seen some mention the World Cup in winter but I’m not sure how that would work. Regardless of the outbreak I presume they were planning to maybe just have a 6 week break in between the World Cup as opposed to changing the entire calendar forever.

So that would mean that they wanted to keep the calendar (even during World Cup) relatively similar. So I don’t see them, for example, delaying the start of the EPL to October or November this year.

I presume if they haven’t got games finished by end of August , but they can open up between sept-Oct, that the likelihood of this season being finished is much less. Unless they cancel all cups and just play 1.25 league seasons with no cup games.

Liverpool fans want it to start as soon as possible

I don't know a single Liverpool fan who wants this unless it means it's completely safe to do so - which should be a situation everybody wants not just soccer fans (apart from the guy in After Hours who thinks it's better now that there's no sport on tv!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I doubt we’ll see football before September personally. July is just too soon, plenty can change between now and July to change my opinion obviously but there’s a greater gap until September when hopefully we see a more positive decline.

Can you imagine the uproar if it resumed again in July and for example Arteta was to catch the virus once again from a staff member at the ground they were playing in, there would be uproar. Nothing stopping him from catching it in September too but one would have to imagine the chances would hopefully be a lot slimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Where are these liverpool fans who want it started as soon as possible? All I see is posters debating when it might start again and when it might be safe to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But I feel I did this. I posted that the game shouldn't go ahead, I posted that I was naive, and I posted that I regret going. AS you say - it was a mistake to go and I own that decision.

I'm not saying that it's solely on the government, I'm trying to bring forward my actual thought process at the time.

I own the decision. That's mine and I'm fine with it. But what I'm debating today is the accusation that there's blood on my hands which is an accusation coming from somebody who at the time was saying there was no reason not to send your kids to school.

There’s not blood on your hands. If you go down that line of thought I’d imagine that Technically there’s blood on all our hands for things we have done over the years that we prob don’t even realise what affect it had on others.

I’ve been watching this since end of January. Had been building supppies from feb 11th and has been warning people for weeks before most people even knew anything about it.

But I let society/authorities convince me that I was over reacting and left my kids in school. For weeks I would chat with my wife and considered many times taking them out, but I fell back on leaving things as “normal” as possible in case I was somehow wrong.

Nobody died but I regret it because my instincts were correct. The lesson I’m learning is the same I’m suggesting here, don’t always trust the authority’s or government when you have legitimate concerns that they don’t share but own and learn from how you responded, don’t let blaming authorities prevent you from learning a valuable lesson. Don’t beat yourself up about it either, we are only human... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

niallo27 wrote: »
    What news is this, it was always going to mutate but its pointing to being at a lot slower rate which is good. The normal flu has been mutating at a much faster rate than this and we have a vaccine and we live perfectly fine alongside it.

Not really... even with developing a flu vaccine for the dominant strain each year, around 500 people in Ireland die from it annually. 30,000 in the US, if looking at a bigger population.

Covid-19 is 3 times more contagious, and 20 times more lethal, so if we’re looking at a situation of having the same thing happen with this as happens with the flu, we’re in for a very very bad time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The UK strategy was being roundly criticised from both within the UK and without.

It was known, even then, by anyone who cared to know, that the UK strategy was insane and that the Liverpool game should not have been played, Cheltenham should not have gone ahead etc. In fact, not only did Cheltenham go ehead, the government were actively telling them to go ahead with it, and encouraging it.

As I said before, there is a level of personal responsibility to the choices people made. if they made it in ignorance then that is also on them. if they made it having seen what was being said on both sides of the argument (one being government guidance) then it is still on them to own their choice.

There is the clip of Klopp telling the liverpool fan to keep his hands away as they came out of the tunnel for the match. Klopp is said to have been angry the game went ahead. Liverpool wanted the game called off. These things happened with the same government guidance that you point to. they would not have happened if there was not widespread acknowledgement of the dangers.

And I don't say that to criticise Liverpool fans. If United had been playing LASK at OT rather than away, the game probably would have gone ahead and there would have been 40,000+ fans at the game (not a sell out cause it is LASK... in the EL.)

If football restarted tomorrow with stadiums open there would be huge crowds, imo. Its not a criticism of Liverpool fans in particular, it is an acknowledgement that for a large number of people, from all walks, that if you are technically 'allowed' to go, they'll go.

How many liverpool fans want it to start as soon as possible. The ones I remember on here want it started when things start looking better be it June/July even november if need be. We all know that the Uk is behind other countries so it will be after other countries.

You're deliberately taking the argumentative angle on this. Yes people want it restarted as soon as possible. But as I said a couple of weeks ago, people are adults here and assume everyone takes" as soon as possible " to mean when it is safe to.

But I suppose point scoring always has to take precedent..........

The league isn't going to be voided imo. Liverpool will be awarded it if it comes to it .As a Liverpool fan I want to see the season finish out on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

First of all why would there be riots?

Secondly, why would there even be a massive euphoric outpouring by LFC fans when/if the league is secured? They've been told since November that the title's done, so by the time the games come back there'll have been over 6 months for that inevetibility to sink in. It'll be old news. It won't be a 'last minute goal on the last day of the season' job.

Thirdly, there's a virus out there and the majority of the public have changed their behaviour to help combat it. Most, granted not all, supporters would likely follow advice (from the players, from Klopp, from the club, from the FA, from the police, from the government) to stay away from the ground. For the idiots who still wouldn't follow advice and would like to congregate at the ground, I mentioned in a different thread that the possibility of the police shutting down the game (thus a walkover against LFC) if crowds gathered, would be the ultimate deterrent.

gstack166 wrote: »
    I doubt we’ll see football before September personally. July is just too soon, plenty can change between now and July to change my opinion obviously but there’s a greater gap until September when hopefully we see a more positive decline.

Can you imagine the uproar if it resumed again in July and for example Arteta was to catch the virus once again from a staff member at the ground they were playing in, there would be uproar. Nothing stopping him from catching it in September too but one would have to imagine the chances would hopefully be a lot slimmer.

Arteta getting it is no different than mr murphy getting it in a school, jim the bus driver, lisa in accounts etc etc. People are going to continue getting it unless we shut the world down till a vaccine. Financially I dont see how this is possible so people returning to school and work is inevitable.

• The UK strategy was being roundly criticised from both within the UK and without.

It was known, even then, by anyone who cared to know, that the UK strategy was insane and that the Liverpool game should not have been played, Cheltenham should not have gone ahead etc. In fact, not only did Cheltenham go ehead, the government were actively telling them to go ahead with it, and encouraging it.

As I said before, there is a level of personal responsibility to the choices people made. if they made it in ignorance then that is also on them. if they made it having seen what was being said on both sides of the argument (one being government guidance) then it is still on them to own their choice.

There is the clip of Klopp telling the liverpool fan to keep his hands away as they came out of the tunnel for the match. Klopp is said to have been angry the game went ahead. Liverpool wanted the game called off. These things happened with the same government guidance that you point to. they would not have happened if there was not widespread acknowledgement of the dangers.

And I don't say that to criticise Liverpool fans. If United had been playing LASK at OT rather than away, the game probably would have gone ahead and there would have been 40,000+ fans at the game (not a sell out cause it is LASK... in the EL.)

If football restarted tomorrow with stadiums open there would be huge crowds, imo. Its not a criticism of Liverpool fans in particular, it is an acknowledgement that for a large number of people, from all walks, that if you are technically 'allowed' to go, they'll go.

I agree also. That doesn't absolve anyone of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

gstack166 wrote: »

I agree, and even if it’s delayed until September, if any player catches the virus does play come to a halt for 2 weeks, and then rinse and repeat each time it happens?

I suppose the question is at what point does the world decide, that we need to get some normality back, and that will be hugely influenced by how much this is going to cost us the longer it goes on. Does it come to a point where we must treat it like the flu, ie someone gets sick just put them into isolation and continue playing, because if we need to stop for two weeks each time a player catches the virus it could take years to finish a season.

Things are constantly changing, can we get it to a manageable level, will there be a vaccine within the year.. a lot of questions, interesting times ahead.

FWIW I don’t think waiting for a vaccine is feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There was very little of the virus in Liverpool before Atletico game went ahead.

If anyone is to blame it is Atletico & Uefa for letting fans travel after their was an outbreak in Madrid.

Liverpool tried to get Atletico fans blocked they were unsuccesfull.
    I take all the PL fans who attended games the previous 2-3 days should have personal responsibility as well?
    Or just the Liverpool fans who attended the CL match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't know a single Liverpool fan who wants this unless it means it's completely safe to do so - which should be a situation everybody wants not just soccer fans (apart from the guy in After Hours who thinks it's better now that there's no sport on tv!)

I want to know why Liverpool fans will riot if they win the league

• Advertisement

I agree, and even if it’s delayed until September, if any player catches the virus does play come to a halt for 2 weeks, and then rinse and repeat each time it happens?

I suppose the question is at what point does the world decide, that we need to get some normality back, and that will be hugely influenced by how much this is going to cost us the longer it goes on. Does it come to a point where we must treat it like the flu, ie someone gets sick just put them into isolation and continue playing, because if we need to stop for two weeks each time a player catches the virus it could take years to finish a season.

Things are constantly changing, can we get it to a manageable level, will there be a vaccine within the year.. a lot of questions, interesting times ahead.

FWIW I don’t think waiting for a vaccine is feasible.

Its mad to think its really only been 6 weeks since it all kicked off for us.

I would hope that as the summer progresses, more information allows us to make informed calls that allow us to lower restrictions. In soccer terms, the Bundesliga is massive to watch, if thats successful , come end of May there could be a clear roadmap for the EPL. Of course, this will also be depended on the morons in power making better calls on how to manage the crisis in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement