Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I want to know why Liverpool fans will riot if they win the league

riot can also mean an impressively large or varied display of something.
    Similar
    mass
    sea
    lavish display
    splash
    extravagance
    extravaganza
    flourish
    show
    exhibition

i dont think he meant riot in the sense of wrecking the place and burning cars and looting and ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

MD1990 wrote: »

If anyone is to blame it is Atletico & Uefa for letting fans travel after their was an outbreak in Madrid.

Liverpool tried to get Atletico fans blocked they were unsuccesfull.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8192253/amp/Liverpool-REFUSE-refund-Atletico-fans-did-not-travel-Anfield-visitors-paying-15k.html

Announcing before hand that they would refund Madrid fans who didn’t travel might of helped lessen the numbers.

Can’t put the blame of them fans either, a lot of people plan their holidays around these games, I was in Milan in November for City & Atalanta and spend the week in Milan due to it.

Granted maybe Liverpool isn’t the best place for a weeks holidays to someone from Madrid (that’s not an insult just an objective look) but the point still remains. They weren’t told not to travel so had no reason not too at the time, in hindsight even without a refund I’m sure almost would’ve stayed at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

riot can also mean an impressively large or varied display of something.
    Similar
    mass
    sea
    lavish display
    splash
    extravagance
    extravaganza
    flourish
    show
    exhibition

i dont think he meant riot in the sense of wrecking the place and burning cars and looting and ****.

Like the riot last summer when they won the Champions League ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't know anyone that would use the word riot, especially in these kinds of conversations, to mean anything other than violent confrontation.

WTF wouldn't you say large celebration if that is the intent?

'There will be riots in the streets after liverpool win the league' has, imo, one implication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The league isn't going to be voided imo.

I think it might be voided but cant say exactly what might be the defining factor. There could be a point whereby voiding the league is more palatable and practical then disrupting everything else.

Id say FA and League cups will be voided, good chance CL and EL will be voided aswell as they look even harder to manage. Different countries will be at different stages of the virus and some clubs may not actually be able to play games at home or even train their players depending on restrictions.

I can understand why Liverpool fans would want the league finished but its certainly not out of a necessity from a league title perspective. The entire season has been a procession , not a competition in terms of any real question mark over will they win it. So it seems like it really boils down to the fact that there will always be some "rivalry bantz" that it was technically an incomplete season that will be irritating. Liverpool will also not get to celebrate the win in a meaningful way either. Being given a cup months after its played is like Olympic results being changed months or years later, its just not the same.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Its mad to think its really only been 6 weeks since it all kicked off for us.

I would hope that as the summer progresses, more information allows us to make informed calls that allow us to lower restrictions. In soccer terms, the Bundesliga is massive to watch, if thats successful , come end of May there could be a clear roadmap for the EPL. Of course, this will also be depended on the morons in power making better calls on how to manage the crisis in the UK.
    In fairness, allowing football return (before it really should) would be exactly inline witht he UK government.

They have created fake NHS staff twitter accounts (using the pictures of real NHS staff) to start calling for an end to the lockdown, ffs!

The UK goverment is an absolute disgrace. A bunch of self-serving, selfish, dangerous, disingenuous liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

i don't know anyone that would use the word riot, especially in these kinds of conversations, to mean anything other than violent confrontation.

WTF wouldn't you say large celebration if that is the intent?

'There will be riots in the streets after liverpool win the league' has, imo, one implication.

I have to say you are a great poster. I dont always agree with you but your one of the few that Id always feel just calls it as they see it and isnt playing games. No bias in your posting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Like the riot last summer when they won the Champions League ?

was there a riot? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

They have created fake NHS staff twitter accounts (using the pictures of real NHS staff) to start calling for an end to the lockdown, ffs!

I'm sat here laughing in disbelief. WHAT?

That is lunacy

In fairness, allowing football return (before it really should) would be exactly inline witht he UK government.

The UK goverment is an absolute disgrace. A bunch of self-serving, selfish, dangerous, disingenuous liars.

Totally agree.

I actually think their decision with the EPL (asides from Monetary) could very well boil down to a finger in the air to see what public opinion is suggesting. Healthcare and well being will be down their list of priorities when they can get away with it.

• Advertisement

I think it might be voided but cant say exactly what might be the defining factor. There could be a point whereby voiding the league is more palatable and practical then disrupting everything else.

Id say FA and League cups will be voided, good chance CL and EL will be voided aswell as they look even harder to manage. Different countries will be at different stages of the virus and some clubs may not actually be able to play games at home or even train their players depending on restrictions.

I can't see what voding acheives that simply ending the season as is wouldn't.

You are still deciding CL and EL places not based on final 38 game standings.
    If you void, you don't relegate anyone, but that doesn't solve the promotion problem (and legal issues therein).
    If you simply end the season as is, you could chose to simply not relegate the teams in the bottom 3 (and deal with the same promotion problems).

If you void the league then Arsenal potentially make the CL (due to City ban) despite currently being in 9th, as do Spurs, currently in 8th. Sheffield United miss out on EL despite being in 7th. Leicster miss out on Europe altogether dispite being in 3rd.

You will run into issues to solve, and qualifcation to be decided no matter which option, but at least deciding based on current standings has some sporting merit.

That is lunacy

Trump and Brexit are comparable, especially with the propaganda techniques used to spread lies and misinformation. Johnson is of the same mould and succeeded in the same manner so its no surprise he would use similar sinister tactics to spread horsesh*t . .

Didnt know about the false twitter stuff, but it sort of makes sense considering how badly they have managed things in UK. I also expect them to whitewash their own response and manipulate the optics, like that orange idiot in the USA tries to do every night.

I can't see what voding acheives that simply ending the season as is wouldn't.

You are still deciding CL and EL places not based on final 38 game standings.
    If you void, you don't relegate anyone, but that doesn't solve the promotion problem (and legal issues therein).
    If you simply end the season as is, you could chose to simply not relegate the teams in the bottom 3 (and deal with the same promotion problems).

If you void the league then Arsenal potentially make the CL (due to City ban) despite currently being in 9th, as do Spurs, currently in 8th. Sheffield United miss out on EL despite being in 7th. Leicster miss out on Europe altogether dispite being in 3rd.

You will run into issues to solve, and qualifcation to be decided no matter which option, but at least deciding based on current standings has some sporting merit.

Good points . .

But I actually meant "Void" to mean voiding the rest of the games not necessarily the season, didnt really make that clear to be fair.

I actually also think its commercially better for the league to have a winner, especially as its a new one. Rivalry's aside, it is better for the league to have Liverpool win it and not one that has won it before.

That is lunacy

Thread on it:

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1252266724449230848

the government department are claiming it is untrue, the author of the tweets and origin of the story is sticking to his guns, and further claiming that the Goverment department are lying about his conversations with them (where he says he offered all his data and evidence (and they said no) and they claim they asked and he did not provide)

But the UK government also claim they made no untrue claims over Brexit etc, so I have no reason to believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

ricero wrote: »
    I would not have any relegations and promote Leeds and West Brom to the Premiership and make it a 22 team competition for the following season. Scrap league cup for a season and play extra fixtures where that would of been scheduled.

European places for me would stay as they are. Although the logistics of having a europe wide football tournament seems a bit of a stretch for me at the moment. Who knows the state of travel within next 12 months. Perhaps even suspend european football for a season and countries only host their domestic league and competitions.

Being honest my main angst again null and void is you are basically awarding teams who have poor seasons such as Arsenal, West Ham, Norwich etc and punishing teams who have had great seasons such as Liverpool, Wolves, Sheffield Utd, Leicester etc.

For that reason alone I think it ruins the integrity of the game in England forever.

Sheffield Utd are 5 points off Champs league places with a game in hand, you think they should be told they finished 7th..

Good points . .

But I actually meant "Void" to mean voiding the rest of the games not necessarily the season, didnt really make that clear to be fair.

I actually also think its commercially better for the league to have a winner, especially as its a new one. Rivalry's aside, it is better for the league to have Liverpool win it and not one that has won it before.

Probably not a good look if the guys you are claiming are still champions next season, are also banned from the CL for financial lies!

Rock77 wrote: »
    Sheffield Utd are 5 points off Champs league places with a game in hand, you think they should be told they finished 7th..

Some clubs are gonna just have to suck it up, there is simply no way to accommodate everybody. It will be about choosing the least worst option that suits the majority.

was there a riot? :confused:

No so why would there be one for the league? Unless the poster was calling this a riot

853D798A-38B6-47E9-8A30-0095374DAEA4.jpeg?resize=1068%2C724&ssl=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Some clubs are gonna just have to suck it up, there is simply no way to accommodate everybody. It will be about choosing the least worst option that suits the majority.

I agree, unless the season gets finished there is no fair way this ends..

I was responding to a poster who said voiding the season punishes Sheffield Utd and the integrity of the game in England will be lost forever yet he wants league positions called as they are now.. the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No so why would there be one for the league? Unless the poster was calling this a riot

And imagine above when police actually don’t want fans to be there?

There is serious uncertainty over what could happen if this was allowed, which is why they’ll delay as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There is serious uncertainty over what could happen if this was allowed, which is why they’ll delay as long as possible.

To be fair, the bus wouldn't be there in the first place.

There will be no victory parade arranged by Liverpool and the city council for that to happen

Unless the poster was calling this a riot

A riot of colour, natch :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's some picture.

Whatever the result of the league, there won't be one this year, which is a shame. But for the greater good and all that.

I'll still have the memories of this season. Where I was for the 3-1 vs Man City, the 4-0 away win at Leicester, the Wolves win, the derby win and the pints and celebrations during and after those games. The end of season celebrations will just have to hold out :)

Any update on the Football and Coronavirus thread, mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

To be fair, the bus wouldn't be there in the first place.

Was also the fact that there were estimated to be at least 750,000 people there that day.

That's in a city that has split supporter base across 2 main PL clubs and a population of only 500,000.

Significant numbers travelled to Liverpool that day from elsewhere in the UK and abroad. Again that wouldn't happen if there's no parade.

Great photo though, would have loved to have gone myself. You won't see anything near those scenes again maybe ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

[QUOTE=Rock77;113238706]I agree, unless the season gets finished there is no fair way this ends..

I was responding to a poster who said voiding the season punishes Sheffield Utd and the integrity of the game in England will be lost forever yet he wants league positions called as they are now.. the mind boggles[/QUOTE]

There's no fair way this ends regardless. Even if the the season does get completed, teams that played tough away fixtures in the first half of the season are losing out on the 'home' crowd' factor of the return fixtures.

Everything is going to be unfair, so we're just dealing with levels of unfairness. That being the case, there is a fairly clear hierarchy of fairness;

Finish the season.
    Call the season as it is now, with perhaps no relegation.
    Void the season entirely (which doesn't actually have any positives going for it at all)

So we just have to wait and see how the next month or two pan out, and which of those first two options look like being the direction they have to go.

That's a bit disingenuous as a point though... the celebration that was pictured was a hugely organized affair that actively existed to get people out.

Look, there is the reality that if Liverpool or Leeds are declared winners/promoted, there will be some people doing stupid things. But I think those numbers will be significantly smaller and less focused than people on here have been making out, and there's a lot that can be done to further mitigate against it. From police presence around Anfield, to the club issuing strong statements from Klopp and players, to actively providing an online platform for celebration so that that becomes the thing you don't want to miss etc etc. This isn't gonna come out of the blue after all, the club will be able to drum out statements on expected behaviour for weeks in advance of that final game (if/when it takes place), so they can really take the air out of plans and attach a stigma to it.

Some people will still be dicks, because some people are dicks. Some people will have house parties to watch with their mates. It's shit, it shouldn't happen. But equally, the hyperbole about riots and mass celebrations in the streets is a real stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Any update on the Football and Coronavirus thread, mods?

Was going to ask. The same soapboxing appears to have moved in here from some of the same lads from one side and yet is being allowed to continue. Almost like them being called on their shíte of insinuating people of not wanting football back or restrictions around CV19 to continue was because people hate Liverpool prompted some action from somewhere...

Liam O wrote: »
    Was going to ask. The same soapboxing appears to have moved in here from some of the same lads from one side and yet is being allowed to continue. Almost like them being called on their shíte of insinuating people of not wanting football back or CV19 to continue was because people hate Liverpool prompted some action from somewhere...

it ain't just one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

it ain't just one side.

Appeared to be one side contributing to the other thread being closed, maybe my perception was incorrect.

Not that I would be overly one side or the other when considering practical solutions to returning the economy to a somewhat normalised state, including football.

What a picture that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

6 wrote: »
    What a picture that is

It actually is.

Could be waiting a while for Champions of England edition though.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    It actually is.

Could be waiting a while for Champions of England edition though.

Id say so unless those riots mentioned materialise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You don't reckon the absence of the bus in the middle might make a difference? (Edit , beaten too it.)

Saying crowds will gather outside grounds and using previous games behind closed doors as evidence is pointless. The world has changed. Theres no prospect of the players and staff coming outside to greet the fans. There would be direct appeals from players and managers to people to not come to the ground. People are aware it could kill their family members.

This isn't a simple case of saying what happened before will happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I agree with the sentiment that crowds won't show me.

Having said that, there will be a minority of supporters that will try to celebrate a league win.

It doesn't matter what club is in line to win it. Every club has its small subsection of idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment that crowds won't show me.

Having said that, there will be a minority of supporters that will try to celebrate a league win.

It doesn't matter what club is in line to win it. Every club has its small subsection of idiots.

Those are most likely the same people having house parties anyway so wont make much of a difference to them . A football match would be little more than an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liam O wrote: »
    Was going to ask. The same soapboxing appears to have moved in here from some of the same lads from one side and yet is being allowed to continue. Almost like them being called on their shíte of insinuating people of not wanting football back or restrictions around CV19 to continue was because people hate Liverpool prompted some action from somewhere...

No side comes out of it better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So arsenal are pushing their players to take pay cuts while negotiating buying new players.

So arsenal are pushing their players to take pay cuts while negotiating buying new players.

It'll be interesting to see which clubs who put on the poor mouth will end up splashing the cash when transfer windows/football gets going again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It really is a picture for the ages. Cant get enough of it.
    Imagine the length of the parade if they were all 2m apart :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There is a reason why entertainment is allowed to continue in these times, it stops people going crazy at home. I would class football in the same bracket. All the people saying there would be parties and gathering outside grounds. I really think that would be in the minority and we cant keep punishing the majority because of the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

niallo27 wrote: »
    There is a reason why entertainment is allowed to continue in these times, it stops people going crazy at home. I would class football in the same bracket. All the people saying there would be parties and gathering outside grounds. I really think that would be in the minority and we cant keep punishing the majority because of the minority.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that football would help massively with isolation. The when is obviously the issue, and whether it’ll be pointless if two weeks isolation is needed when a player tests positive which is inevitable really.

The PL will hopefully give us some info on initial plans soon.

Show us examples of this entertainment that's allowed to continue,gigs cancelled, cinemas closed, festivals the same. Even TV companies and movie studios have halted production.
    Everyone where possible is asked to stay home so I don't know where they are going to go for entertainment??
    Anyone wanting to charter a flight to Turkmenistan to see a live game?

The nearest we've gotten to football here is the sound of cans being kicked down the road by the governing bodies.

Show us examples of this entertainment that's allowed to continue,gigs cancelled, cinemas closed, festivals the same. Even TV companies and movie studios have halted production.
    Everyone where possible is asked to stay home so I don't know where they are going to go for entertainment??
    Anyone wanting to charter a flight to Turkmenistan to see a live game?

The nearest we've gotten to football here is the sound of cans being kicked down the road by the governing bodies.

The late late show, all the morning shows in ireland and the uk. Paul o Connell drove to dublin last week to be on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

The late late show, all the morning shows in ireland and the uk. Paul o Connell drove to dublin last week to be on the show.

I see we have different opinions on what is classified as entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Ahh come on now, they're not entertainment.

Ahh come on now, they're not entertainment.

Maura and ****en Dathi on in the afternoon, what is that classed as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Maura and ****en Dathi on in the afternoon, what is that classed as.

Shyte TV :pac:

We have very different views on what is called entertainment.

As an aside,did anyone see the video of the trains in London today? Absolutely packed with people, social distancing,2 inches instead of 2 metres. The government over there are very close to imposing stricter rules as people are getting lax.
    Maybe if the British public could be trusted to do what is asked of them we might see some football but as it is we aren't going see any.
    Even ambulance response times are averaging 2 hours now,how can football clubs expect one to be at a game even BCD?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement